OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #51

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Running a farm is a lot of work. A farm with animals (especially show animals) is a lot more work. If the state seized the farm and the rest of the defendants assets, Who is taking care of the farm and it's administration and the animals?

IMO.

Meanwhile, In the oft-mentioned Newsome murders case and it's connection to the Rhoden murders, It looks like the is no connection.

UPDATE | Family shares relief after man indicted in execution-style murders of mother/daughter

Interesting. He would have been fairly young when he did this, around age 19.

Elsie says Davis lived nearby, was a family friend, and would visit Candy and Mykal often.

"You wouldn't have thought he would be that cold-blooded to do anything like that," she said. "Candy was good to him, but Mykal and him didn't get along, because he'd go in the house and steal things, and she'd go hunting for him. I know he wanted to go with Mykal, but Mykal wouldn't go with him. I mean, that was it."

More articles:

Sheriff announces indictment in 2016 double homicide - Portsmouth Daily Times

“Capt. Murphy’s decision to reassign a homicide investigation to Detective Conkel so the circumstances and evidence surrounding the murders could be looked at by someone from another perspective has obviously contributed to the successful resolution to this criminal investigation and I applaud his decision.”

Scioto County man charged in double murder investigation

Running a farm is a lot of work. A farm with animals (especially show animals) is a lot more work. If the state seized the farm and the rest of the defendants assets, Who is taking care of the farm and it's administration and the animals?

What farm are you talking about? No farms were seized that I know about.

Well, now that rumors of the Wagners being involved can be put to rest. Glad to hear it was solved...

Yes, it seems killing people execution style, in their sleep is a thing. It's a very personal type of killing and indicates a familiarity with the victim and their home.

So glad these women's family can finally find some peace. RIP.

The only lesser sentence is LWOP. There would be riots in the streets at the Waverly Courthouse if Jake got any less. They wouldn't want him back in their community..2 Cents

I always wondered why they were not charged with Child Endangerment ?

If you murder someone and leave their children alone -- even if you didn't know there were children in the home -- seems you should be held accountable but I never see those kinds of charges come up for anyone....HUMMM....?
I don’t think there’s a plea offer on the table for Jake. The only way I see an offer for Jake is if the state believes he was somehow manipulated or coerced by the others. Or if he has some diminished capacity due to intellectual limitations or psychological problems. And I don’t think this is the case. JMO

I don’t think there’s a plea offer on the table for Jake. The only way I see an offer for Jake is if the state believes he was somehow manipulated or coerced by the others. Or if he has some diminished capacity due to intellectual limitations or psychological problems. And I don’t think this is the case. JMO

I agree. His speedy trial is on hold through January 2020 and you have to wonder if this is some type of strategy or not. Like will his attorneys push for his trial to be last so they can gain perspective from the other trials?

The only plea (opinion) will be if someone wants to confess and tell what really happened and testify against the others in exchange for LWOP. Often the death penalty is used as leverage in this way.

Death as a bargaining chip: necessary or evil?

"Jared Loughner pled guilty to murdering six people and wounding 13 others, including former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, in a Tucson parking lot.

Loughner, it is widely assumed, pled guilty as part of a deal: in exchange, federal prosecutors agreed to not pursue the death penalty against him. As Loughner’s plea deal illustrates, capital punishment is sometimes used as a bargaining chip.

In fact, defense attorneys largely said they were more likely to ask for plea deals in capital cases and not risk the death penalty.. "

Last edited:
I agree. His speedy trial is on hold through January 2020 and you have to wonder if this is some type of strategy or not. Like will his attorneys push for his trial to be last so they can gain perspective from the other trials?

The only plea (opinion) will be if someone wants to confess and tell what really happened and testify against the others in exchange for LWOP. Often the death penalty is used as leverage in this way.

Death as a bargaining chip: necessary or evil?

"Jared Loughner pled guilty to murdering six people and wounding 13 others, including former Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords, in a Tucson parking lot.

Loughner, it is widely assumed, pled guilty as part of a deal: in exchange, federal prosecutors agreed to not pursue the death penalty against him. As Loughner’s plea deal illustrates, capital punishment is sometimes used as a bargaining chip.

In fact, defense attorneys largely said they were more likely to ask for plea deals in capital cases and not risk the death penalty.. "
I am so sorry but I may have hit report on your post it was unintentional.What I wanted to do was say that if a person kills a bunch of people and it's provable then I don't think they should offer a plea.Prove it in court and execute them.We don't need people like that in society and I look at it as culling the herd.Again I apologize if I caused a problem with your post.

Well if you would go back and listen to old news interviews that was did with Lenard Manley, he said that things have been covered up in Pike County for many years and the law suits that FW put against people she was selling land to on land contacts with a interested rate that is not heard of, for a county attorney and the local judge to let the Wagners by with all the run in that they had with the law for all those years to end up with innocent kids being executed like they where, so yes I do think that any political person that has been in office in that county over the past 10 years need to be checked out by the state, JMO
Including Dewine.I know I'm in the minority here but I just have never believed his wife had to tell him what those little houses at FR were for.Mmm nope.

At long last, murder charges bring relief, healing to Pike County

Bill Harbert, a barber said the arrests amounted to “putting a band-aid on an open wound. It’s definitely trying to heal itself now.”

Thank you CC I have often wondered what the local reaction was.
“We feel a little safer now, thinking that they’re off the street.

Morty Throckmorton, manager of the Smart Mart discount store said
“This put a hurtin’ on this little town, You could see people who was scared”
“It’s going to be a scar, but with time it will heal.”

Saundra Ford, a co-worker of Dana Rhoden’s, said the community’s attention turned to the Wagners when they moved to Alaska last year. We’re not shocked”
“The minute they left town everybody started speculating,” she said.

Matt Lucas, managing editor of the Pike County News Watchman said
"the process is just beginning and it’s not over by a long stretch, it’s in the early stages as far as closure.”

Phil Fulton, pastor at Union Hill Church in Adams County, said he was “ecstatic” when he found out about the arrests.

Kelly Cinereski, an Alaskan pastor and friend of the family, told the Dayton Daily News he was shocked by their arrests. "These people wept over dogs, I can't imagine them taking people's lives," he said.

Pike County investigation: 8 deaths and multiple arrests were tied to one key factor — child custody

At the time the Wagners had left Ohio for Alaska’s remote Kenai peninsula locals felt their suspicions — that a family once friendly with the Rhodens could be suspects in their cold-blooded murders — could be true.

Pirul Patel, the owner of the local Sunoco station said they came to her store for gasoline, Subway sandwiches, and cigarettes.

When she learned about the arrests from Wednesday morning’s local newspaper, Patel said she was shocked.

That scared me because I see them all the time,” she said. “I can’t believe that would happen.”

I think they have both actually. Wiretap evidence and witness testimony. Do I think they are going to call up witnesses to testify about conversations they over heard or were a part of? Yes. Do I think they are calling up witnesses who can testify to things they observed about the Wagners? Yes.

But the revenge and escape plans I think were over heard on a planted secret wiretap hidden in Fred's house. Probably right in her kitchen where she gave her Plain Dealer interview and in her living room where SWAT told Robin to drop her phone and drink.

They over loaded her house with officers, perfect for distracting the family when your intention is to plant bugs. 100 officers with guns drawn dressed in SWAT gear and wearing masks and busting up property injuring horses. Really? To search a 76 year old lady's house and barns? They were doing more than just searching. Distracting them is more like it. All opinion only.

A matriarch's fight: Fredericka Wagner denies charges, allegations in Pike County mass murder

"Wagner said she heard a helicopter roar overhead. She said officers dressed in SWAT uniforms and ski masks burst through the front door of her home and slammed through the gates of her farm, freeing and injuring some of her horses.

ff6_fredericka013.jpeg

Robin Wagner says this is one of the gates state agents broke when they searched the Flying W in May 2017. Officers were looking for evidence in the Rhoden family slayings. (Lynn Ischay/The Plain Dealer)

She estimated 40 vehicles drove the steep slope onto her property and about 100 officers rifled her home and out-buildings.

As officers searched her home, Wagner’s daughter, Robin, 54, was on a cellphone in the family’s living room. An officer with his gun drawn yelled for Robin to drop the phone and the bottle of water she had in her other hand, Wagner said.

Robin didn’t move.

“I yelled, ‘Robin, drop it!” Wagner said, recalling the situation and grabbing the sides of her head with her hands and closing her eyes. “That was a horrible, horrible day.”

60e_09fredericka004.jpeg

Fredericka Wagner reacts as she said she did when state agents raided her home and farm, pointed a gun at her daughter Robin and ordered her to drop the cellphone and bottle of water she was holding. (Lynn Ischay/The Plain Dealer)

At one point, she said, her husband needed to use the bathroom. An officer followed them in.
Wagner blanched.

“Can he have some dignity?” she recalled asking the officers. "

The pic makes FW look like the classic wicked witch and it fits "Come here my pretty so I can steal your kid and murder you all". I believe this woman is the one who gave your twisted son the idea he could do any thing he wanted in life...anything at all even breaking the law. My opinion only.

Last edited:
I don't either, and I'm pretty familiar with Appalachian culture. It's beyond my ability to comprehend.

No one in their right mind would wipe out a family BUT if you have the ability to move as one Appalachian families do have that ability. I can see a family helping HR fight in court money and emotional support. I can even see it even coming to physical blows between certain family members but not killing them all. What happened to the R family is a horror beyond anything I've ever heard of.

I agree, winning especially the first trial is crucial. I think the reason Jake's attorneys put his speedy trial deadline all the way to a whopping January 2021, is because his attorneys feel his best chance at acquittal comes if his other family members go to trial before him.

Then his attorneys can gain tremendous insight into what worked and what did not work at his family member's trials. Jake is out for Jake. I think the "all for one and one for all" is gone at this point.

You know on a sinking ship?

It's "every man for himself."

..... 2 Cents......

Do you think they will roll over on each other? Their best bet is to say nothing at all if they want a chance to beat it. Personally I pray that they all get the harshest punishment possible.

What I want to know is if RN will be charged, later on down the line, with accessory to murder. Anyone else think she knew ahead of time, two weeks ahead, that murder was planned? AJMO

It's funny that they would involve everyone but her. However, maybe they knew she wouldn't have gone through with it because she has a better moral character?

At long last, murder charges bring relief, healing to Pike County

Bill Harbert, a barber said the arrests amounted to “putting a band-aid on an open wound. It’s definitely trying to heal itself now.”
“We feel a little safer now, thinking that they’re off the street.

Morty Throckmorton, manager of the Smart Mart discount store said
“This put a hurtin’ on this little town, You could see people who was scared”
“It’s going to be a scar, but with time it will heal.”

Saundra Ford, a co-worker of Dana Rhoden’s, said the community’s attention turned to the Wagners when they moved to Alaska last year. We’re not shocked”
“The minute they left town everybody started speculating,” she said.

Matt Lucas, managing editor of the Pike County News Watchman said
"the process is just beginning and it’s not over by a long stretch, it’s in the early stages as far as closure.”

Phil Fulton, pastor at Union Hill Church in Adams County, said he was “ecstatic” when he found out about the arrests.

Kelly Cinereski, an Alaskan pastor and friend of the family, told the Dayton Daily News he was shocked by their arrests. "These people wept over dogs, I can't imagine them taking people's lives," he said.

Pike County investigation: 8 deaths and multiple arrests were tied to one key factor — child custody

At the time the Wagners had left Ohio for Alaska’s remote Kenai peninsula locals felt their suspicions — that a family once friendly with the Rhodens could be suspects in their cold-blooded murders — could be true.

Pirul Patel, the owner of the local Sunoco station said they came to her store for gasoline, Subway sandwiches, and cigarettes.

When she learned about the arrests from Wednesday morning’s local newspaper, Patel said she was shocked.

That scared me because I see them all the time,” she said. “I can’t believe that would happen.”

I know someone from Pastor Kelly's church, who, after the arrests, was very circumspect about the W4, like maybe the congregations were being careful about supporting the W4 inside the groups in Seward and Kenai. Not shunning them per se, but at a bit of arm's length, IYKWIM.
jmo/moo - of my perception from a church member closely related to the pastors. It must have been painful for them to be associated with possible perpetrators of this tragedy.

I know someone from Pastor Kelly's church, who, after the arrests, was very circumspect about the W4, like maybe the congregations were being careful about supporting the W4 inside the groups in Seward and Kenai. Not shunning them per se, but at a bit of arm's length, IYKWIM.
jmo/moo - of my perception from a church member closely related to the pastors. It must have been painful for them to be associated with possible perpetrators of this tragedy.

I mean to add, that I read one definition of a "reliable confidential resource" could be clergy.

IMO, the statements attributed to GW4 regarding escape and/or retribution may not be from wiretaps only, but things said to a pastor; jmo/moo.

Do you think they will roll over on each other? Their best bet is to say nothing at all if they want a chance to beat it. Personally I pray that they all get the harshest punishment possible.

No. I don't think they will roll over on each other. Jake's speedy trial is waived to January 2020. Sounds like he's in it for the long haul.

GW4 waived his speedy trial once but it was going to expire so they had to hurry and schedule his trial--it was set for September 4. Due to great volumes of discovery, GW4's attorneys had him waive speedy trial again.
Point being that he wanted to go to trial and showed no signs of rolling over.

Angela was giving her mom buzz words to use at her trial, and telling her not to testify against them saying "you don't have to."
Angela also talked about her attorney's theories for her case . Doesn't sound like she is going to roll over on anyone.

A plea deal is not what they want-- they want it all--to be acquitted.
...2 Cents.....

I'm thinking if the W4 were as enmeshed as it appears, that they would not roll over on each other.

Plus what was reported about phone conversations of AW telling her mother, RN, to not testify against the W4, and giving her 'buzzwords,' supposedly what she had learned from working with her counsel.

It seems like a lot of manipulation was going on, within the W4, prior to the murders - seems like it would be hard for any one of them to roll over; jmo/moo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke