OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #55

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
OMG..!!!!

Canepa, 57, resigned from the Ohio Attorney General’s office to pursue other options, according to a statement from the office.

Anthony Pierson, who is also a member of the attorney general’s special prosecution team and has been involved in the Pike County case, will now take over the lead for the prosecution team.

Now I can't wait til the next hearing so we can see Mr. Pierson in action.

I will worry it about until then. jmo

Newcomb’s trial moving forward: Junk - Portsmouth Daily Times

At Junk’s request, Deering has added a second special prosecutor, Robert Pierson from the Attorney General’s office to the prosecution team.

Junk told the Times Canepa still will be part of the cases going forward. Junk said prosecutors will sort of tag team the actual trials. He stated he personally will sit in on probably no more than two of the trials, one reason being he has other trials besides the Wagner cases to which he needs to attend.

“You’re probably going to see a couple of different trial teams,” Junk said.

Pierson is listed as a prosecutor on Newcomb’s case and three of the four other Wagner cases currently before the court.

Good news! Many of us here were hoping they would do this. Once the separate trials begin, they will absolutely need multiple prosecutors to manage each one.

I'm amazed and in awe of AC that she was able to juggle all 4 cases in the pretrial phase, with all the evidence, discovery, millions of motions, etc. I don't know how she kept it all straight, but I'm sure these same folks were helping her.

ETA: She was actually juggling 6 cases for much of the time, when RN and FW were charged. Girl deserves a medal and a vacation.

Last edited:
from the article Cool Cats posted above. At least we have a date for the first trial!

The first member of the Wagner family to face a jury is scheduled to be grandmother Rita Jo Newcomb, who faces counts of perjury, forgery and obstruction of justice. Pike County Court of Common Pleas Judge Randy Deering originally set Newcomb’s trial for earlier this year in July . Apparently because of what has been described as huge amounts of discovery which need to trade hands between prosecutors and defense teams, Deering postponed Newcomb’s trial until Oct. 21. At the request of the prosecution, including Junk, Deering again postponed the trial until the new November 18 date.

Oops - this isn't correct - that was LAST November 18th.... :rolleyes: sorry!

Last edited:
It says she resigned from the Attorney General's Office, not just the Rhoden case. JMO, she may be planning to run for public office. If so, she can't be in the middle of any one of these trials, which will probably still be ongoing in 2022. JMO.

She's done fantastic work so far on the Rhoden investigation, prosecution and pre-trial activities. She's in a very good position to run for higher office, maybe even the next AG.

She's had a pretty good team at the AG's office helping with this case. There are probably more than a couple of prosecutors who will be more than able to take over when the trials get started. If they're going to make a switch, this is probably the most opportune time, as the trials are expected to begin later in the fall or winter.

ETA: Here's the guy taking over:

Anthony has been involved in the case for a long time, too. He'll do fine as a special prosecutor. I think they're all ready to get these trials started. Its a long time commitment and a lot of work ahead, but they're ready.

ETA: I'm just speculating on AC's reasons for leaving the Ohio AG's office. She's a highly qualified and experienced prosecutor, there are any number of plans and options she may be pursuing in her future. Staying with the Rhoden Murders case is still a long commitment. If she had other things she wants to do in the next year or so, now is the time to leave. Yikes, she already been working hard on this case for the last 4 years.

I can understand how much of a commitment these cases would be for her. I'm sure her replacement will do a good job. After all this work done to gather evidence, I don't think the AG's office would allow things to get derailed with an inferior prosecutor.
He will have the same team of people backing him as she did. He might be less lenient than she was. We have to wait and see.
No need to panic...

from the article Cool Cats posted above. At least we have a date for the first trial!

The first member of the Wagner family to face a jury is scheduled to be grandmother Rita Jo Newcomb, who faces counts of perjury, forgery and obstruction of justice. Pike County Court of Common Pleas Judge Randy Deering originally set Newcomb’s trial for earlier this year in July . Apparently because of what has been described as huge amounts of discovery which need to trade hands between prosecutors and defense teams, Deering postponed Newcomb’s trial until Oct. 21. At the request of the prosecution, including Junk, Deering again postponed the trial until the new November 18 date.

Oops - this isn't correct - that was LAST November 18th.... :rolleyes: sorry!

Newcomb's trial or whatever legal resolution will come last. Judge Deering said that during her last hearing when she agreed to cooperate with the prosecution.

It's standard procedure for defendants who make a plea deal to fulfill their agreement to testify and provide information in the trials of the other defendants prior to having charges against them dropped or reduced. If, for any reason, RN's trial or plea deal is scheduled for resolution prior to the completion of the trials of the 4 Wags, that's a very big red flag.

That info is per our fellow WS member and verified attorney, Prairie Wind, who has no connection to this case and doesn't even live in Ohio.

MOO but I think JW may have started spying on HR simply because he is a control freak, he had to know where she was, talking too, texting, messaging at all times.

Yes, its textbook behavior of narcissistic sociopathis who engage in violence against their domestic partners. That's why judges have to issue so many restraining orders against them. They can't handle not having control over their former partner and will stalk them everywhere, trying to disrupt their lives, instilling fear and eventually killing them. It's the old twisted thinking of "if I can't have you, no one can". When a former partner begins doing that, the victim and everyone around them is in serious danger.

Newcomb's trial or whatever legal resolution will come last. Judge Deering said that during her last hearing when she agreed to cooperate with the prosecution.

It's standard procedure for defendants who make a plea deal to fulfill their agreement to testify and provide information in the trials of the other defendants prior to having charges against them dropped or reduced. If, for any reason, RN's trial or plea deal is scheduled for resolution prior to the completion of the trials of the 4 Wags, that's a very big red flag.

That info is per our fellow WS member and verified attorney, Prairie Wind, who has no connection to this case and doesn't even live in Ohio.
What do think the red flag means Betty P?

At Junk’s request, Deering has added a second special prosecutor, Robert Pierson from the Attorney General’s office to the prosecution team.

Junk told the Times Canepa still will be part of the cases going forward. Junk said prosecutors will sort of tag team the actual trials. He stated he personally will sit in on probably no more than two of the trials, one reason being he has other trials besides the Wagner cases to which he needs to attend.

Pierson is listed as a prosecutor on Newcomb’s case and three of the four other Wagner cases currently before the court.

Thanks, CC, for the confirmation that Junk will not be involved much with the trials.

What do think the red flag means Betty P?
Rita getting sentenced before the Wagner 4 trials means there will be no trials. Why? Because of Wagner-4 plea agreements. Red flag means bad for the Wagners because plea agreements mean some guilty pleas. Opinion only.

My guess on what the "red flag" means.
11_reporting-incidents_alert_red-flag_attention-100768653-large.jpg

Last edited:
I don't believe AC wanted to resign, for political or other reasons. I believe she was asked to, for some stupid or political reasons. Just think about it. She was in on the investigations from Day 1 (preparing her for trials). She lived these murders every day of her life. Then Anthony Pierson is introduced. After all AC has accomplished, including and especially Rita N's confession and promises. AC was in a position of a lifetime, to be a major part in trying these trials. Nothing would have awarded her career more than this. So I do not think she was happy to have been replaced by Anthony Duane Pierson. Look up his tried cases, and then look up hers. Hers far outweigh his. However, his include two in 2016, the year the Rhodens were murdered. Google is our friend, just saying.

Rita getting sentenced before the Wagner 4 trials means there will be no trials. Why? Because of Wagner-4 plea agreements. Red flag means bad for the Wagners because plea agreements mean some guilty pleas. Opinion only.

Thank you CC.

Yes! The interviews would have tipped them off that they are being focused on. Good time to ditch that surveillance equipment.

May 3, 2017---Jake and Angie audio interview
May 8, 2017---GW3 audio interview

May 9, 2017---Wagners end surveillance of Rhodens, Manleys, Gilleys.
I assume they were spying on these 3 families to learn about the investigation.

Angela says she received copies of the search Warrants.

Friday May 12 and Saturday May 13 ---Searches

May 13, 2017
---Angela audio interview
May 16, 2017---Angela audio interview
May 17, 2017--- Jake audio interview
May 21, 2017---Angela, Gw3, and GW4 all give audio interviews. Angela also gives a partial video interview.

June 8, 2017--- Jackson Days Inn Trash Pull

I apologize if I've asked this previously. Does anyone have thoughts on the manner of spying and who they were spying on after the murders? I'm interested to learn more about their motivations and what they hoped to gain from the continued spying, and, of course, how they did it. I was thinking most evidence would have been locked up, but maybe not. TIA for ideas or input.

Last edited:
I don't believe AC wanted to resign, for political or other reasons. I believe she was asked to, for some stupid or political reasons. Just think about it. She was in on the investigations from Day 1 (preparing her for trials). She lived these murders every day of her life. Then Anthony Pierson is introduced. After all AC has accomplished, including and especially Rita N's confession and promises. AC was in a position of a lifetime, to be a major part in trying these trials. Nothing would have awarded her career more than this. So I do not think she was happy to have been replaced by Anthony Duane Pierson. Look up his tried cases, and then look up hers. Hers far outweigh his. However, his include two in 2016, the year the Rhodens were murdered. Google is our friend, just saying.

I'm so behind on everything. When was AC replaced? And why? Just when I think these cases couldn't get any stranger!!

I'm so behind on everything. When was AC replaced? And why? Just when I think these cases couldn't get any stranger!!

Lead prosecutor in Rhoden mass slayings case resigns

In October 2019 Junk said:

Junk said prosecutors will sort of tag team the actual trials. He stated he personally will sit in on probably no more than two of the trials, one reason being he has other trials besides the Wagner cases to which he needs to attend.

Special Prosecutor Robert Pierson is listed as a prosecutor on Newcomb’s case and three of the four other Wagner cases currently before the court.

Last edited:
I apologize if I've asked this previously. Does anyone have thoughts on the manner of spying and who they were spying on after the murders? I'm interested to learn more about their motivations and what they hoped to gain from the continued spying, and, of course, how they did it. I was thinking most evidence would have been locked up, but maybe not. TIA for ideas or input.
The only reason to keep spying would be to find out how the investigation is going and to see if anyone is talking about suspecting them.

To do this they would need to spy on LM as well as other family members. They may have been spying on only one person.

They would use what had been working for them since July 1st, 2014 =
Wire, Oral, or Electronic Communications which means spying through their phones or facebook or e-mails, whatever was easiest to hack if not all 3.

Surveillance on the outside of the family's homes wouldn't get them the information they wanted so I believe it was through hacking their devices.

How to hack Facebook is probably in their search history as well as how to assemble silencers and how to get away with murder. Be interesting to see if their search histories come up at trial. The Wagners are amateurs and would have had to Google everything.

...2 Cents...

Last edited:

The above statement is opining, correct???? I sincerely hope we are not going off the tracks here.

Are you guessing the four Wagners have made plea agreements? Or stating this as fact? You post sounds confusing to some of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yoohoo27