GUILTY OH Pike Co., 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue, 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #60

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
They will probably motion to move his venue before his trial starts, but they could try to seat one first.

According to Angela's attorney he wants to try to "find a jury in Pike County"
before requesting a change of venue.

I never thought of that, thanks, that Jake's attorneys could try to seat a Pike County jury and decide they can't find one to their liking so they try to move it out of Pike.

Delay Delay Delay.....

AW lawyers have basically not filed any motions on her behalf that would require her to appear in court in almost 9ish months. Is that because she is not able to come to court so they are not filing anything at this time that would require her to appear. Normally when they file motions a hearing is then scheduled with the defendant appearing in a fairly short time frame.

AW lawyers have basically not filed any motions on her behalf that would require her to appear in court in almost 9ish months. Is that because she is not able to come to court so they are not filing anything at this time that would require her to appear. Normally when they file motions a hearing is then scheduled with the defendant appearing in a fairly short time frame.

Good point...I have to wonder if this has anything to do with it:

02/12/2021

ORDER -
UPON MOTION OF DEFENDANT, AND FOR GOOD CAUSE SHOWN, THE MOTION TO ALLOW TRAVEL FOR MEDICAL PURPOSES IS GRANTED

It seems odd that it's now exactly 9 months and one week since we have seen her in the courtroom.

Sick?
Waiting to see how things go with Jake's trial?
Behind the scene hearings we can't see?
Wanting to maybe plea if Jake's trial implicates her?

... Humm ... Your guess is as good as mine ...

02/12/2021

ORDER -
UPON MOTION OF DEFENDANT, AND FOR GOOD CAUSE SHOWN, THE MOTION TO ALLOW TRAVEL FOR MEDICAL PURPOSES IS GRANTED

It seems odd that it's now exactly 9 months and one week since we have seen her in the courtroom.

Sick?

I saw 9 months, medical purposes and thought, how old is
AW, could she be pregnant!

AW lawyer filed for change of venue early on. ---
12/14/2018 (19) DEFENDANT'S MOTION FOR A CHANGE OF VENUE FILED Attorney: KRAPENC, ROBERT F
“My opinion of the process is that I filed a motion so I could preserve the right at a later date,” Krapenc said. “I would probably ask the judge not to rule on that motion until we try to find a jury in Pike County.” ----- The other 3 have not filed for a change of venue yet. It is suppose to be filed within 35 days after arraignment or 7 days before trial and it can also be filed at reasonable time later that the court permits.

I wonder why Krapenc filed for Lucy's deposition, then withdrew it?

02/12/2021

ORDER -

Sick?

I believe because of something medical. They are not challenging the prosecution like the other 3 with motions. They might not be because she has not been able to appear in court.

According to Angela's attorney he wants to try to "find a jury in Pike County"
before requesting a change of venue.

I never thought of that, thanks, that Jake's attorneys could try to seat a Pike County jury and decide they can't find one to their liking so they try to move it out of Pike.

Delay Delay Delay.....
It might delay it at least a few weeks to a month probably to try to change venue right at trial time.

OK, I guess AW is beyond the age of child bearing. I did think she might be a bit younger. We will see.

MO. Since the trials are death penalty, individual lawyers have to be very careful in what they do in filing the correct motions for the record.
I think it is standard practice ( but not mandatory?) to put on record it was attempted to seat a jury in the local venue. It must be shown by record that it was not possible, and then a change of venue is easier to put through and is good for the appeal record - meaning no successful appeal can be based upon the change of venue.
All this is MO or my thought after doing some reading.

I do wonder if Pike County Court House could accommodate the anticipated large crowds and full needs of family, friends, citizens, TV, Radio, Reporters, etc.
Also the overnight accommodations and all related needs of a large group of people staying in the are for weeks and weeks. I think these trials will attract much attention and a huge following.
MO

OK, I guess AW is beyond the age of child bearing. I did think she might be a bit younger. We will see.

MO. Since the trials are death penalty, individual lawyers have to be very careful in what they do in filing the correct motions for the record.
I think it is standard practice ( but not mandatory?) to put on record it was attempted to seat a jury in the local venue. It must be shown by record that it was not possible, and then a change of venue is easier to put through and is good for the appeal record - meaning no successful appeal can be based upon the change of venue.

I do wonder if Pike County Court House could accommodate the anticipated large crowds and full needs of family, friends, citizens, TV, Radio, Reporters, etc.
Also the overnight accommodations and all related needs of a large group of people staying in the are for weeks and weeks. I think these trials will attract much attention and a huge following.
MO

She may very well be able to bear children still; although, I doubt that's what's going on. But that would solve the heir issue for FW.

She may very well be able to bear children still; although, I doubt that's what's going on. But that would solve the heir issue for FW.

Heir issue? FW has heirs already.

If your talking about boys George has a son, a perfectly good heir.

Jake has a daughter and Fred and Robin run everything so Jake's daughter would be just as capable, does not have to be boys.

Billy's brother has kids.

Last edited:

MO

For the sake of cost, they will probably try first to seat a jury in Pike County for Jake's trial. At the time of the arrests, there were discussions of alternate ways of bringing in jurors from different areas, as opposed to moving the trials elsewhere. A lot will depend on how Jake's trial goes and whether any of the other family members take plea deals.

The trial will probably attract big crowds. Perhaps by September, if all goes well, the COVID 19 risk will be much reduced due to higher rates of vaccination. For Jake's trial, though, they may still have some social distancing.

There's maybe 1 good hotel in Waverly, but some will probably stay in Chillicothe.

For the sake of cost, they will probably try first to seat a jury in Pike County for Jake's trial. At the time of the arrests, there were discussions of alternate ways of bringing in jurors from different areas, as opposed to moving the trials elsewhere. A lot will depend on how Jake's trial goes and whether any of the other family members take plea deals.

The trial will probably attract big crowds. Perhaps by September, if all goes well, the COVID 19 risk will be much reduced due to higher rates of vaccination. For Jake's trial, though, they may still have some social distancing.

There's maybe 1 good hotel in Waverly, but some will probably stay in Chillicothe.

I agree with you. But on the cost issue, I would think after 5 + years and all other related expenses for investigation, I honestly think they will cut no corners when it comes to the trials. Yes, a change of venue will be a big expense, but one they must plan for as a possibility. I do see problems with a local jury. Two big problems at minimum.
Those that fear the W's and would worry about retribution.
And those (hope there aren't many) that may, for some reason, favor the W's.
I will say as my opinion only, there could be a real possibility of a covert attempt to sway a juror or two.
After all, it is Pike County. I see nothing but potential problems with a Pike County Jury.

I agree with you. But on the cost issue, I would think after 5 + years and all other related expenses for investigation, I honestly think they will cut no corners when it comes to the trials. Yes, a change of venue will be a big expense, but one they must plan for as a possibility. I do see problems with a local jury. Two big problems at minimum.
Those that fear the W's and would worry about retribution.
And those (hope there aren't many) that may, for some reason, favor the W's.
I will say as my opinion only, there could be a real possibility of a covert attempt to sway a juror or two.
After all, it is Pike County. I see nothing but potential problems with a Pike County Jury.

Anothet issue is appeals. If it's in Pike County a defense lawyer can argue that their client did not get a fair trial.

No one needs to fear the Wagners, those 4 are in jail. The Wagners are hated in Pike County, someone was literally throwing things at Angela in the street and there were "attacks" on her friend or relative's house according to her cousin on Podcast.

The only jury swaying would be wanting the jurors to vote guilty.
(all comments are my opinion)

In all the articles written about the locals' reactions to the arrests no one says they think they are innocent, people feel safer and are glad for the arrests.

2 examples:

Even the pastor is glad.
Pastor preaches of peace, comfort after arrests in Pike County murders

A pastor who reached out to help the families involved said he's prayed for justice for a long time. "Now, finally, there can be some closure. Yesterday's one of the happiest days I've had for a long time," Fulton said

Dana's co-worker:

“We’re not shocked” the Wagners were arrested, said Saundra Ford, a nurse who worked with Dana Rhoden, one of the eight victims. “The minute they left town everyone started speculating.”

“We were talking about it at work last night, like, did they think it would blow over?” Ford said.

Last edited:
Heir issue? FW has heirs already.

If your talking about boys George has a son, a perfectly good heir.

Jake has a daughter and Fred and Robin run everything so Jake's daughter would be just as capable, does not have to be boys.

Billy's brother has kids.

@OhioBlues

Can we use RW's initials as long as it's just a passing remark and not personal? Like RW was in court, RW was with Billy at time of arrest, RW is trustee, RW visits Billy etc..

You said she is not a part of the case so we shouldn't discuss her.

Thank You

Sorry - I accidentally used her name in above post instead of her initials.

Last edited:
I love it! The Ws probably spent almost every moment looking over their shoulders, wondering what direction it was going to come from. Every time they had contact with LE they had to worry. Phone rings with the wrong number, a car goes by slow, sideways glances at the store, it all had to be eating at them.

Then Bam! Just like JW said in an interview, they didn't think it would follow them to Alaska. Ahh but sure enough it did! Must have been like the earth falling out from under them. I suppose they decided why suffer in Alaska, they're going to get us here just as well as in Ohio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mascaraguns