OH - Pike Co - 8 in Rhoden Family Murdered Over Custody Issue - 4 Members Wagner Family Arrested #72

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JW's proffer has not been made public. Him putting GW at DR's home is from the state's opening which is not evidence.
I've been interested in this case from the start. I've driven sr32 and remember seeing the sign for Union Hill. Been to Pike and surrounding counties for work. I want justice for the families. I've been watching via YT/Law&Crime.

DAY 8: Wagner defense calls for mistrial as prosecution fumbles

DAY 8: Wagner defense calls for mistrial as prosecution fumbles “like the worst NFL team in the league”​

Prosecutor Angela Canepa had a stack of gruesome photos with her at the podium of victim Hannah Hazel Gilley; the photos were from the autopsy of the young woman. On the stand was Dr. Karen Looman, who conducted the examinations in 2016. Canepa went over more than a dozen photos of Gilley’s body being cut open by Looman.

On numerous occasions, photos flashed on the screens that were not meant to be displayed in the gallery as fellow prosecutor Andy Wilson worked a computer to display the exhibits. Canepa and Wilson went back and forth on a dozen occasions, fumbling through the photos and passing them back and forth like they were Pokemon trading cards.

In more instances than one, the photos were exposed to the family in multiple exchanges. The family of the Rhoden victims sat behind the prosecutors and became vividly emotional, while members of the jury would look away from the screens. At one point, Canepa told Looman, “I’m sorry, I can’t find the hand,” referring to a picture of Gilley’s hand during her autopsy.

Before the afternoon break, defense attorney John Parker spoke up to the judge and said that the state was wasting time going over unnecessary evidence; that it had nothing to do with the accusations of who killed who; and that it simply was not needed because the defense does not object to the evidence in question.

“I’ve sat on several death penalty cases and this, by far, is the worst job a prosecution has ever done in any case; let alone in a case that was billed as Ohio’s worst and most expensive homicide,” said attorney Tim Smith, who is a Guardian legal analyst. “The state is fumbling like the worst NFL team in the league.”

My opinion:

Judge allowed it and judge denied motion for mistrial. This is where the judge needs to step in and he did, he sided with the prosecution. The judge guides his courtroom and can step in whenever he does not like something. He said he felt the jury was OK with it.

The defense looses alot of their motions with this judge.

Last edited:
I've been interested in this case from the start. I've driven sr32 and remember seeing the sign for Union Hill. Been to Pike and surrounding counties for work. I want justice for the families. I've been watching via YT/Law&Crime.

Welcome to WS! That is where I watch too!

Back in the 80s I traveled Ohio with a partner in a work truck, to break up the boredom we called out things along the highways. Union Hill Rd was one of the signs called out. I remembered that as soon as the story broke. Can't remember where we were going though.

Back in the 80s I traveled Ohio with a partner in a work truck, to break up the boredom we called out things along the highways. Union Hill Rd was one of the signs called out. I remembered that as soon as the story broke. Can't remember where we were going though.
I went to YT to try to find video of the full opening statement by Canepa. Anyone got a link? I know it was many hours long.

Yes! Thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!

If you want to hear more, you can watch opening statements. The Law & Crime youtube page will have it.

Thinking I heard... The shoe print was outside CRjr's bedroom, and through discussion that day, I believe we recalled that was GW4 that waited outside Cjr's room.

Don't recall AC saying how the print was made.. blood, mud..?? Any blood would have to come from a different site, since GW4 posted by the door as the shooting happened in other rooms, then CRjr was last. (not fact just presented as what I think I recall)

There's always a caveat that this is what JW is supposed to have said.

I went to YT to try to find video of the full opening statement by Canepa. Anyone got a link? I know it was many hours long.
If you use youtube, you can set the playback speed as high as 2x. You'll probably need it.

edit... wrong link ... it's posted above.

This is not directed to you Antimony .. I just quoted this post so I didn't have to go back further to find a post questioning the running water .. lol

As for Kenny's water and wether he had running water .. he very well may have. The question about water came up because of LR's testimony that his father would go over to CRsr's around 4am to take a shower when needed. Maybe there was not a good shower in this camper he was living in. Some of those camper showers are nothing more than a hand held spray attachment in a small area by the toilet. So I guess I'm just wondering why some are questioning if he had running water?
Kenny probably didn't have a hot water heater making for a very cold shower!

JMO

If you want to hear more, you can watch opening statements. The Law & Crime youtube page will have it.

Thinking I heard... The shoe print was outside CRjr's bedroom, and through discussion that day, I believe we recalled that was GW4 that waited outside Cjr's room.

Don't recall AC saying how the print was made.. blood, mud..?? Any blood would have to come from a different site, since GW4 posted by the door as the shooting happened in other rooms, then CRjr was last. (not fact just presented as what I think I recall)

There's always a caveat that this is what JW is supposed to have said.
Thanks!!!!

Your right, could be mud/dirt etc...not blood.

I always thought the footprint at Dana's was Jake's. Again, if the prosecution can prove that George was at Dana's, like the Jury believes Jake and the shoe print expert for example, then this is HUGE.

George being at 2 crime scenes (at least) while he is watching (if not shooting) his brother and dad kill people then he is just as guilty. In fact, it shows a picture of him being a look out and assisting with the cover ups, like moving the bodies. Like keeping Chris Jr. in his room, watching him.

I hope the prosecution has all the evidence they need to convince the jury of everything they are saying in their opening statement. Some criticized Canepa in her opening statement, some in how she handled photos, although she wasn't the one putting then up....

But this is to be expected. The prosecution always gets some criticism, some talking head always thinks they know best. Especially in huge trials like this. What matters are the judge's rulings on the matter and of course how the jury puts the evidence together to bring their verdict.

And of course the defense asks for mistrials. Normal according to a top reporter.

By crossing all their T's and dotting all their I's the defense is actually helping George to never get an appeal. He is getting the best DP defense he can get so I see no appeal chances.

Eventually, he won't be able to keep appealing unless he were to get the DP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member