OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #14

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Still think a junkyard in Pike County is a good place to dump a vehicle that's connected to a crime in Columbus, Cleveland, Detroit or Chicago.

It's much easier, and leaves little to zero trace, to take them to the crusher. There's yards w/crushers that look the other way. I'm betting the cars will turn out to be part of their livelihoods and/or hobbies. It's not uncommon for people who are serious about Demo Derby to have a pasture filled w/cars like those.

Yes, the union got him reinstated until he is proven innocent or guilty.

Are you saying he is still employed by the county? Due process vis a vis employment does not necessarily equate to trial in a court of law. One can lose a job without being found guilty of murder.

It's much easier, and leaves little to zero trace, to take them to the crusher. There's yards w/crushers that look the other way. I'm betting the cars will turn out to be part of their livelihoods and/or hobbies. It's not uncommon for people who are serious about Demo Derby to have a pasture filled w/cars like those.

Still--they were apparently able to get a warrant on these cars.

I don't disagree about the demo derby parts cars.

But regarding crushing cars, it seems unlikely unless they were specifically in the auto disposal industry.

People who are "into cars" in my experience enjoy improving them on some level, even if the shell gets beat to hell in a DD. I could even see the possibility of them moving their weight out of their grow op inside of welded panels, since they would seem to have the equipment on-site to do so easily.

Incidentally, our CC managed to attract LEO due to state laws re. "title washing" a few years back. We thought it seemed reasonable to work on cars as a club and sell them to make some club funds. It turns out that if you have one guy do all the selling, that apparently looks shady.

Edited to attempt to clarify that we were not actually doing anything like washing titles. We attracted LEO by one person selling too many cars in a short amount of time. LEO assumed/approached things as if we were running a chop shop, which we weren't. End result: paid some taxes/fines.

You can buy 'hunting mufflers' for atvs, makes them very quiet, but reduces power. I'd hate to have to make a getaway the same way, unless you can blend in as a hunter, load up and get out from wherever you unloaded.

Providing my calendar is correct... there was a full moon the 21 and 22..... if a person knew their way around an area very well..they could drive about with their headlights shut off. If they had a quiet vehicle they would never be heard. Very frightening to think of it this.

Still--they were apparently able to get a warrant on these cars.

Because they're part of a crime scene. They took their entire homes and all the contents too. I'm surprised they didn't take the chickens and dogs at this point. A warrant only means they have reason to search the property stated on the warrant (and they can use it to prevent the destruction of evidence). There's just too much blatant FB posting of trading parts, buying & selling of cars and car parts, on FB Trader sites. I just can't see them putting stolen cars on their lawn (and advertising them for sale on FB like that), especially w/a grow op at their home.

Providing my calendar is correct... there was a full moon the 21 and 22..... if a person knew their way around an area very well..they could drive about with their headlights shut off. If they had a quiet vehicle they would never be heard. Very frightening to think of it this.

Only if the home they were pulling into had no dogs. Mine can here a car coming at least a 1/4 mile away.

In the scenario of ATV(s?) being used by the criminals to get sneak access to the crime scenes, would you think they travelled via road or via trail? I've kicked the idea around of arrival via ATV to the rear of the property, but IIRC FR had dogs tethered near that area of his trailer at least.

Scent hounds are pretty awesome for two things: smelling stuff and then barking at it.

Not a problem, I'm just a defensive person. It doesn't really matter to me why you said it, so no harm, no foul. All's good.

I think the original poster was just referring to the fact that there are actually many Hatfields and McCoys in the area and that I think the Rhodens are distantly related to some and even have members of both Hatfields and McCoys on their friends list. That's how I took the original post.

Are you saying he is still employed by the county? Due process vis a vis employment does not necessarily equate to trial in a court of law. One can lose a job without being found guilty of murder.

He is not employed. He had to turn in his gun and badge and also it's noted on the docket that he had to turn in uniforms as well.

I don't disagree about the demo derby parts cars.

But regarding crushing cars, it seems unlikely unless they were specifically in the auto disposal industry.

People who are "into cars" in my experience enjoy improving them on some level, even if the shell gets beat to hell in a DD. I could even see the possibility of them moving their weight out of their grow op inside of welded panels, since they would seem to have the equipment on-site to do so easily.

Incidentally, our CC managed to attract LEO due to state laws re. "title washing" a few years back. We thought it seemed reasonable to work on cars as a club and sell them to make some club funds. It turns out that if you have one guy do all the selling, that apparently looks shady.

Edited to attempt to clarify that we were not actually doing anything like washing titles. We attracted LEO by one person selling too many cars in a short amount of time. LEO assumed/approached things as if we were running a chop shop, which we weren't. End result: paid some taxes/fines.

They did repair salvage vehicles and sell them w/rebuild titles too. The paperwork for that and receipt required by the DOT is pretty strict. FR was pretty well known for his mechanical skills but DD cars are stripped of almost any interior b/c of not wanting anything to come loose when the car gets hit. They jazz up the exterior w/spray paint, or maybe a hood or roof ornament, but the interior is fairly well bare-bones. I know what you mean about the titles thing. You can only sell 7 in Ohio, each year, w/o a dealer's license. I'm guessing that's why they sold theirs under Scioto River Trading Co.

They did repair salvage vehicles and sell them w/rebuild titles too. The paperwork for that and receipt required by the DOT is pretty strict. FR was pretty well known for his mechanical skills but DD cars are stripped of almost any interior b/c of not wanting anything to come loose when the car gets hit. They jazz up the exterior w/spray paint, or maybe a hood or roof ornament, but the interior is fairly well bare-bones. I know what you mean about the titles thing. You can only sell 7 in Ohio, each year, w/o a dealer's license. I'm guessing that's why they sold theirs under Scioto River Trading Co.

Yes, that's a slicker approach than we chose: distribute the sales amongst those involved.

On the derby aspect: where I'm from, derby cars have to be american-made to enter. Is that a thing locally where the Rhodens were competing? I read that FR's "prized car" was a Crown Vic, which would fit.

Thinking the above might help hazard a guess as to what purposes different types of cars served to the family : fix-up resale, rebuild from salvage title, strip and repurpose for derby, etc.

In the scenario of ATV(s?) being used by the criminals to get sneak access to the crime scenes, would you think they travelled via road or via trail? I've kicked the idea around of arrival via ATV to the rear of the property, but IIRC FR had dogs tethered near that area of his trailer at least.

Scent hounds are pretty awesome for two things: smelling stuff and then barking at it.

I tossed that around too. I think there's even some remainders of old roads, or little used roads, back in there. You can see parts of them from Google Maps. But, I keep coming back to, they knew them and let them walk right in.

Yes, that's a slicker approach than we chose: distribute the sales amongst those involved.

On the derby aspect: where I'm from, derby cars have to be american-made to enter. Is that a thing locally where the Rhodens were competing? I read that FR's "prized car" was a Crown Vic, which would fit.

Thinking the above might help hazard a guess as to what purposes different types of cars served to the family : fix-up resale, rebuild from salvage title, strip and repurpose for derby, etc.
Not sure on the regulations. I think different places have different rules. I've seen derbies advertised that have special nights for compact cars, trucks, etc... I'd not seen for sure what kind of car FR had but a Crown Vic of the right year sound right.

Listening to the 911 call again, I think BJ is hyperventilating. She also clearly says, "Let me walk to the mailbox." By the time she ends the call, her friends are probably at her side. It also appears that BJ was surprised the door was locked. It must have been common for her to find it unlocked, esp. if someone was home. That's my impression.

I just listened to her 911 call again. The operator was asking for the address, and she said the street...Union Hill Road. I don't think she knew the house number, so she walked out to the mailbox. Then she tells the operator 4077. That's probably why she walked out there. Out in the country, you don't necessarily put your house number on your house...it's on your mailbox. Just my 2cents worth

I just have a couple thoughts...
when my mom died, my sister was her executer for her will. She never finalized her will and alot of things were left hanging in midair. I was living at my mom's house and her car was there. It got ticketed because it had overdue plates and was sitting for a long time. I was upset at my sister for not taking care of my mom's business, and we couldn't sell her car, because it didn't have a clear title. So, my sister had the car towed over to her house. One evening she called me and said she had the "car business" taken care of. She gave the car to some guy who drives Demo Derbies. I said, we don't have a clear title...and she said he says we don't need one. This guy took my mom's car and drove it derbies!! And the car was titled in my mom's name.
I'm thinking ....if this guy knows how to do this.....maybe other derby guys do too? I mean, if you strip a car down to almost bare bones and use it to get all crashed up....what if it were stolen? No one would know, would they?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member