OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on the temperament of the dog and how it is raised. My son and I both got pits at the same time. His is more aggressive than mine. Mine is more likely to beat you to death with her tail from wagging it so hard.

I am really scared of the pitt bulls. I have never seen one that does not look like it wants to bite me. My thought is this. The pitts may be silent attackers true, but if it was a stranger that opened that door wouldn't said stranger have a huge hunk of flesh out of his arm or leg? If anyone owns a pitt I would love to hear what they think the chances are that pitt bull bit the killers if they are strangers. ( I know this sounds a bit sarcastic but I don't mean it to be. I would genuinely like to know your thoughts in relation to your own dog on the chances the pitt bit a stranger.) Another thing. If the dog bit the killers can they get DNA from the dogs mouth/teeth?

Shall we play devil's advocate?

OK I am Kenneth R. I live in a rural area on what looks like a dirt road in a medium sized (by appearance when they pulled it down the highway) fifth wheel. It is a small space and I can see from one end to the other easily. I can easily hear if someone is trying to enter the door or any windows. My fifth wheel sets a good distance off from the road. To one side is my barn/garage. To the other is a trailer that appears to be unoccupied. In back of me is wooded area, to the front a few cars(which may or may not be operational) and my driveway. My nearest neighbor is my nephew and he is 500 yards away.

I have a pitt bull that has been reputed to be aggressive (per DS, LM and LR.) That pitt bull stays inside with me during the night.
My door is always locked, from inside when I am home, with a padlock when I am not (per DS).
I grow some marijuana for my own use and to sell some for extra cash (per Kendra R)
I have at least one tray of marijuana plants in my barn/garage. (per DS and LE)
I am somewhat paranoid (per DS) and I have installed security cameras (per Kendra R, DS and LM).
I text my daughter 3 or 4 times per day and sometimes more (per Kendra R)
I work in Columbus and leave for work at 4:30 AM (per Kendra R) but on this particular morning my daughter thought I was at work (per Kendra R) so I apparently did not text her the night before about my change of plans as my cousin DS says I was going to get up and work on cars with him the next morning (per DS.).
I use marijuana (per Kendra R. ) but there is no indication I used any the night before (I do not know if marijuana makes you sleepy?) and since I could be working the next day it could be assumed that I did not.
Since I am getting up at 4:30 AM to go to work or work on cars (per Kendra and DS) I am probably asleep by at least 10:00 PM.
Since I live in an fairly isolated area, sell illegal drugs, and am somewhat paranoid I probably own at least one gun and would certainly have it loaded and probably in a place I could reach it easily, even somewhere in bed with me (under a pillow maybe?)

So how did someone get past my locked doors, pit bull and maybe a loaded gun to kill me in my sleep.

My guess: Someone stayed the night and waited until I was asleep and then shot me, maybe with my own gun.

Anyone else care to guess or add anything to this scenario?

OK I am Kenneth R. I live in a rural area on what looks like a dirt road in a medium sized (by appearance when they pulled it down the highway) fifth wheel. It is a small space and I can see from one end to the other easily. I can easily hear if someone is trying to enter the door or any windows. My fifth wheel sets a good distance off from the road. To one side is my barn/garage. To the other is a trailer that appears to be unoccupied. In back of me is wooded area, to the front a few cars(which may or may not be operational) and my driveway. My nearest neighbor is my nephew and he is 500 yards away.

I have a pitt bull that has been reputed to be aggressive (per DS, LM and LR.) That pitt bull stays inside with me during the night.
My door is always locked, from inside when I am home, with a padlock when I am not (per DS).
I grow some marijuana for my own use and to sell some for extra cash (per Kendra R)
I am somewhat paranoid (per DS) and I have installed security cameras (per Kendra R, DS and LM).
I work in Columbus and leave for work at 4:30 AM (per Kendra R) but on this particular morning my daughter thought I was at work (per Kendra R) so I apparently did not text her the night before about my change of plans as my cousin DS says I was going to get up and work on cars with him the next morning (per DS.).
I use marijuana (per Kendra R. ) but there is no indication I used any the night before (I do not know if marijuana makes you sleepy?) and since I could be working the next day it could be assumed that I did not.
Since I am getting up at 4:30 AM to go to work or work on cars (per Kendra and DS) I am probably asleep by at least 10:00 PM.
Since I live in an fairly isolated area, sell illegal drugs, and am somewhat paranoid I probably own at least one gun and would certainly have it loaded and probably in a place I could reach it easily, even somewhere in bed with me (under a pillow maybe?)

So how did someone get past my locked doors, pit bull and maybe a loaded gun to kill me in my sleep.

My guess: Someone stayed the night and waited until I was asleep and then shot me, maybe with my own gun.

I tend to agree with you. Just one thing, marijuana is nothing like alcohol, it doesn't make you hung over, the initial buzz lasts for less than an hour, after that you can function as normal. It can make you a bit heavy headed or sleepy, though.

That's brilliant, Raisin.

Do we know for sure Kenneth's killer entered the camper? Could a window near the bed been pried open and a head shot delivered?

That sounds like a fair assessment to me. I'd buy it.
Also,

KendraR said he had one, and that he slept with it nearby and she doesn't know if it is missing.
Kendra Rhoden wonders if the loaded gun her dad kept near his head while he slept was also taken
http://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/07/22/pike-county-family-clings-hope/87337798/

I tend to agree with you. Just one thing, marijuana is nothing like alcohol, it doesn't make you hung over, the initial buzz lasts for less than an hour, after that you can function as normal. It can make you a bit heavy headed or sleepy, though.

I agree it is nothing like alcohol. However, it's according to the strain, as to whether it will make you sleepy, or a bit perked up, and for how long. I don't feel he was smoking since he'd just started a new job. He'd probably had to have passed a urine screen and was probably careful, being new and all. Just a guess. That's also why I don't buy that he'd just take off of work to work on cars. That was a new job. You can't just ditch work when you are a new employee. Too many other people looking for jobs. Some folks will though.

The thing we have to remember is that KR was in a camper. The big padlock for it was on the outside. He may have had a small latch/lock on the inside and perhaps that's why he kept a dog inside.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-feet-shot-head-reveals-man-horror-scene.html

Kendra claims Kenny grew pot to sell to make ends meet, but she had never known if he ever smoked any, and did not believe he ever did.

Do we know for sure Kenneth's killer entered the camper? Could a window near the bed been pried open and a head shot delivered?

I think he would have heard the window or any attempt to get inside. A single shot, and killing him with a single shot, from outside the camper and getting the right angle and all, would be very tricky for a trained shooter. I think the person(s) who did this were familiar with firearms, one more-so than the other, but neither were capable of that degree of accuracy.

I think he would have heard the window or any attempt to get inside. A single shot, and killing him with a single shot, from outside the camper and getting the right angle and all, would be very tricky for a trained shooter. I think the person(s) who did this were familiar with firearms, one more-so than the other, but neither were capable of that degree of accuracy.
What if his head/face was near the window? What if the window had been loosened in advance? I know it's not likely, but since he was in a relatively confined area, you never know. Say what you will, the killers do seem to have done their homework.

In Norway owning pitts and am staffs is prohibited by law(since 2004), even mixes. They're harder dogs to train, and are historicaly bred for their killer instincts, so compared to most other dogs they are considered unpredictable and aggressive by nature. I've had no problems with the pitts and staffs I've known, but the problem was their reputation attracted the wrong kind of owners, criminals and young people with no prior dog experience. It got bloody.
Now, if you have a dog that looks like a forbidden breed, you need to have it chipped and registered by a vet. You still see them around though, let's just say that british staffs have gotten a lot larger in the last 12 years. My guess is some vets are against the prohibition, and chip forbidden breeds as something else, claiming good faith if they're questioned. Just a couple of weeks ago an am staff mix was put down by the police after chewing up a pomeranian outside a resturant. The dog was on a short leash, and the owner was a grown woman.

Back to topic ;-), I wouldn't gamble on getting unharmed past a pitt (or any guard dog) I've only met a few times, so the perps must have known the dogs well, or somehow sedated them. MOO

BBM
I'm not a pitt hater. But what you say is true. They were bred to be silent, aggressive, and attack w/o warning. It's in their dna (so to speak). Just like Retrievers retrieve, and Shepherds herd, Rotts were originally bred to drive cattle & later to be police dogs due their intelligence and loyalty (they will still try to naturally drive other creatures, whether you want them to or not, so training is important w/ Rotts too.). People who own Pitts, and other large dogs, should be experienced dog owners, and even then things can go really wrong. You can never let a Pitt, nor any type of dog, but large breeds, especially, get one over on you.

As far as walking past a pitt unharmed, I'd not have taken that chance either. I'd not have done it at CR1's, nor DR's either (iirc, she had a wolf hybrid). The coonhounds, I'd not really worry about other than their barking alerting the homeowner, but, coonhounds bark and bay about something, all of the time, so that was probably white noise to the Rhodens. The assailant(s) were comfortable around those dogs. I also feel that 10:30 p.m. is an odd time to pick up a child. That's bedtime, why not just wait until the child got up the next morning? There's just so much weird happenstance stuff in this case.

I would think the very act of prying open a window would have alerted the dog and possibly awakened KR. We could not see if the windows had curtains and if there would have been a window right by his head or feet. But shooting through a window, in the dark, and delivering a head shot to the eye I think would be almost impossible. I could be wrong.

Looking at the information I had another thought. Where did he get the pit bull? Did someone own it before him? Did someone possibly train it for him?

What if his head/face was near the window? What if the window had been loosened in advance? I know it's not likely, but since he was in a relatively confined area, you never know. Say what you will, the killers do seem to have done their homework.

Please don't think I'm putting your theory down, I just feel the ability to kill KR through an open window, would be very tricky. Big chance to take if they missed him, or he decided to drink a few and pass out on the couch that night. One of my theories that is unpopular, is that KR had outlived his usefulness and his "friend" murdered him so as not to leave behind his source of information, b/c whether KR gave info willingly, or unknowingly, I think he'd have known the next day, who the murderer was (or the murderer thought that KR would know who they were, and stopped by to "visit", then murdered KR.) I'd not be surprised if KR was the first one killed that night.

BBM
I'm not a pitt hater. But what you say is true. They were bred to be silent, aggressive, and attack w/o warning. It's in their dna (so to speak). Just like Retrievers retrieve, and Shepherds herd, Rotts were originally bred to drive cattle & later to be police dogs due their intelligence and loyalty (they will still try to naturally drive other creatures, whether you want them to or not, so training is important w/ Rotts too.). People who own Pitts, and other large dogs, should be experienced dog owners, and even then things can go really wrong. You can never let a Pitt, nor any type of dog, but large breeds, especially, get one over on you.

As far as walking past a pitt unharmed, I'd not have taken that chance either. I'd not have done it at CR1's, nor DR's either (iirc, she had a wolf hybrid). The coonhounds, I'd not really worry about other than their barking alerting the homeowner, but, coonhounds bark and bay about something, all of the time, so that was probably white noise to the Rhodens. The assailant(s) were comfortable around those dogs. I also feel that 10:30 p.m. is an odd time to pick up a child. That's bedtime, why not just wait until the child got up the next morning? There's just so much weird happenstance stuff in this case.

I agree with the 10:30 PM time. It is way past a 3 or 4 year old's bedtime. Also it is very late to be unexpectedly dropping off a child, especially since you yourself has to work the next morning as FR's ex stated. Could she have taken the child there unexpectedly so he could open the door for someone known to him (the child) later?

Could the dogs have been tasered to the extent they were knocked out for a while?

I would think the very act of prying open a window would have alerted the dog and possibly awakened KR. We could not see if the windows had curtains and if there would have been a window right by his head or feet. But shooting through a window, in the dark, and delivering a head shot to the eye I think would be almost impossible. I could be wrong.

Looking at the information I had another thought. Where did he get the pit bull? Did someone own it before him? Did someone possibly train it for him?
BBM
I don't think the pitt was an actual, trained, guard dog. Nor do I think that CR1's or DR's dogs were trained guard dogs. I think they were guard dogs in a sense that the Rhodens may have built their dogs reputations up a bit more than what they were. With that said, I never tell anyone that my big dogs are big cuddle bugs. I've got a beware of dog sign, and if asked if they bite, I tell the asker that thus far they've not, but I'd not say they won't (and I don't know that they wouldn't bite a stranger lurking around on the property, in the dark). I've told this before, but my childhood dog bit everyone he could sink a tooth into, however, we walked in on our home being burglarized, when I was young. Our "guard dog" had done zip to guard the house while we'd been gone. This was a 30-ish pound, Heinz57, dog who was registered in town, as a vicious dog, b/c he'd bitten so many people, let burglars waltz right into the house.

I agree with the 10:30 PM time. It is way past a 3 or 4 year old's bedtime. Also it is very late to be unexpectedly dropping off a child, especially since you yourself has to work the next morning as FR's ex stated. Could she have taken the child there unexpectedly so he could open the door for someone known to him (the child) later?

I know that this is a very unpopular theory, but I've wondered the same. Also, BJM said he pointed to their bedroom. The door may have been shut and he just hadn't gone in there, or had trouble with the doorknob. Which someone could have fixed deliberately to keep him out of there. This would mean that he probably saw nothing. The front door may have been one of those pull down handles. Much easier to open for a toddler. At the end of the day, CR1 and DR's grandchildren would have benefited most from the deaths. The land will be divided out between them, in place of their parents. Their surviving parents/guardians could force a sale of the property, sometime in the future, as the kid's guardians. Guardians can use that money in any way that would benefit the child. That is a pretty broad range of things too. IANAL but just basing it on some general experience of my own w/guardianship.

I know that this is a very unpopular theory, but I've wondered the same. Also, BJM said he pointed to their bedroom. The door may have been shut and he just hadn't gone in there, or had trouble with the doorknob. Which someone could have fixed deliberately to keep him out of there. This would mean that he probably saw nothing. The front door may have been one of those pull down handles. Much easier to open for a toddler. At the end of the day, CR1 and DR's grandchildren would have benefited most from the deaths. The land will be divided out between them, in place of their parents. Their surviving parents/guardians could force a sale of the property, sometime in the future, as the kid's guardians. Guardians can use that money in any way that would benefit the child. That is a pretty broad range of things too. IANAL but just basing it on some general experience of my own w/guardianship.

This is not going to go over well and I will probably get called on it. One of the first things out of LM's mouth when asked who did this was child custody and demo derbys. So far we have largely overlooked FR's ex who is BR's mother because we assumed she had full custody and that was fine with FR. But what if, for some reason like drugs or a boyfriend that was mean to BR, FR decided to take her to court for custody? Or told her if she or boyfriend if she had one didn't change he would try to get custody? Could it be possible that she got a BF or someone else to help her get rid of the threat to her keeping custody by getting rid of dad and grandparents with HR, CR1 and GR just being wrong place wrong time?

With the relative age of the homes, not likely there was a pull down handle, unless it was put on new years after it was originally built. I think Jake picking up S. late probably had to do with his work schedule. And Chelsie left Frankie's house at 10:30. She stated she visited a little while before she left.
I still think it is aossibility that if Dana's dogs slept in at nite, they might have been in one of the bathrooms with the door shut since there was a new baby in the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Karla Enriquez