OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #25

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's some of my thoughts, opinions and theories: I don't think it was pro's, in that neck of woods (lived over there for 10 yrs.) There are a lot of hunter's, gun collector's, gun shows, and gun's passed down from the families. No trouble getting a gun. I think they used hand guns, small caliber , maybe even KR's that his daughter mentioned being gone. (He kept it right by him).
My theory is they knocked on their doors, waited for the door to open and rushed them. Caught the one's who were awake, and it kinda stunned them. Before they had a catch to do anything. Element of surprise.

Ever been around a serious hunter? I have, he planned everything down to the last detail. What spot on the land, what tree to put a stand in. Even had some kind of "deer pzz", the right clothes (camo) the right gun or bow for the season. Him and his cousin looked like they were planning strategic battle for the enemy they were hunting! (sorry it was funny how serious they were about it.) IMO the killer's did this somewhat. It was very serious to them to do this and get away with it. Smart planning yes, but it doesn't take a pro killer to do it. Just some very determined person that hated the victims.
Get the business done, it was "just business to them for some of the victims.
But there are always mistakes made. when your doing such an evil plan. To me, they were cowards to kill people in their sleep, but they planned to do this with the least resistance possible. Get in, get it done, and on to the next. Maybe after the mess and brutality they used with CRsr and GR the calm and level headed one got them back to the plan and got the job done. They timed it, in their plans.
IMO, they also planned to "stage" each crime scene after they were done at each location. I looked at a photo of CRsr's close up and there seems to be what looks like a gun shot hole in that front window, next to the door. I think they did everything they could think of to "throw-off" the LE.
IMO, one of the biggest mistakes they made was to think that after murdering 8 people, it would stay in Pike Co, and no one would think it was a big deal. Just a bunch of hick's in a small country town that know one would care about.
The saddest part is, so far, it seems to be working. Wrong! we all care, have been here for months, keeping this thread going and trying to figure out what happened, with mostly rumors, idea's and what very little information we have had in 10 month's.
Their lives mattered, finding out who murdered them matters! They wiped out 2 generations of this family like they were nothing!
I try not to judge people that I don't even know. It hit's me hard, so hard when this could have been me and my family, this could have been my children 30 years ago. I was so lucky and they were not, no second chances, no future, all gone in one night of evil.
Sorry about the book, had a lot to say I guess.

I admit there is a lot of similarities among the Rhoden, Newsome, and Eapmen murders. However, there is one glaring difference to me. The Rhoden murders was the only one where more than one part of a nuclear family was killed. The Rhoden murders were multigenerational in nature. Depending on which theory a person holds about this crime, it is difficult to say who was the primary target. The Newsome and Eapmen murders only involved the primary targets. Collateral damage, for lack of a better description, to other relatives did not occur with the other two murders. If all three murders are connected, what made the Rhodens lose 8 family members at 4 different locations and the Newsomes and Eapmen's with a much more limited scenario?

Excellent point. I do not think they're all connected by the same perp(s) necessarily (although haven't ruled it out), but I'd bet they all have similar motives.

Assuming the Newsome and Eapmon connection for the sake of argument, is it possible that CRsr and GR were the lone original targets? I have two example scenarios that could bring in the other victims:

Suppose their motives were same as Eapmon and Newsomes, but during the crime, some of the other family members spooked the murders. Like, maybe the lookout noticed that FRs bedroom light turned on right after they killed CRsr & GR (HG nursing baby or something), so they think "oh crap, they might have heard the gun shots, we need to get them too." After that, maybe they see DR drive by (on way home from work) -- maybe she doesn't stop, but just drives by slow looking like "what are they doing over there this late, that's kinda weird." So the killers think "oh crap, we gotta go get DR now since she clearly seen our vehicles here." Then they realize "if we're going to get DR, were gonna have to get anyone and everyone else inside the house" and etc....

**This is all hypothetical here and it's not my main theory but I can't rule it out.**

I also wondered if perhaps CRsr and GR faught back and not just faught back, but what if they caused some serious damage in defending their lives? What if they got one of the killers real good... so much so that the killer(s) became so enraged that they not just killed CR & GR but decided to go after 6 more close relatives?

Not likely, but does anyone else think something like this is possible? Not my exact scenario obviously, but something similar where CRsr's trailer was the original target but for some reason, more people needed to be killed after the fact. Feel free to poke holes in my theories-- I'd love to cross them off my list.

One major flaw to these theories, is how well everything was executed. 4 crime scenes and so little evidence left behind. It sure seems like every aspect was planned to a T. Otherwise, It would take some luck to pull this off without some serious premeditation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't mean this in a negative way, toward the IN case, as I've been following along on that case too, and it's heartbreaking and I want that found who killed these little girls, and put away, never to walk the earth as a free man again. However, this case had four teens murdered, one only 16, where they were supposed to be the safest, in their homes, and it seems the FBI and all of the big guns that have rolled into Indiana, pretty much don't give a $*** about four teens executed in their sleep, in rural Appalachia. Why?

BBM

Because Dewine and Reader killed any interest in this crime from day one when they announced that the Rhodens had the biggest commercial marijuana grow operation ever seen in Ohio. People blew it off as just another drug related killing. No harm, no foul. Rewards that were offered were withdrawn and any that were offered were not announced until months after the murders. They did not retract that statement about the commercial grow until months later either. Sad. A better question might be why Dewine and Reader felt compelled to do that.

BBM

Because Dewine and Reader killed any interest in this crime from day one when they announced that the Rhodens had the biggest commercial marijuana grow operation ever seen in Ohio. People blew it off as just another drug related killing. No harm, no foul. Rewards that were offered were withdrawn and any that were offered were not announced until months after the murders. They did not retract that statement about the commercial grow until months later either. Sad. A better question might be why Dewine and Reader felt compelled to do that.

Yeah, in retrospect, DeWine and Reader did everything they could to downplay any interest in the case. IMO, part of that included stiff-arming the FBI and DEA. Seems the latter were allowed some early, minimal participation. From the start, though, it was DeWine bragging about all the high tech capability of the Ohio BCI - really? Compared to the resources available from the FBI? DeWine did his best to keep this case local and out of the news, even to the extent of calling in LE from other Ohio counties and towns instead of relying on help from FBI, US Marshalls, etc.

Notice they've kept federal prosecutors out of the loop, too. It's a much different way of handling major crimes than other areas of the state, where LE routinely work with FBI and other feds. A great example was FBI assistance in finding Justin Andrew Christian, the serial abductor of young girls in Lorain, OH.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/12/serial_abductor_arrested_in_cl.html

He surfaced on the FBI's radar a week before he took the 6-year-old Cleveland girl. He was seen walking near the girl's home May 14, 15 and 20. In the early morning hours of May 21, he parked across the street, went into her home and took her as she slept.

DeWine had to put in his .02 for the media announcement, but it was local LE working with FBI and county prosecutors who got this guy.

This is such a tragic case, as are the other, similar murders that have occurred in the area. I really wish DeWine and Reader would do the right thing and let other agencies back into the investigation.

Almost a year guys. I don't think Dewine or Reader know who did this. They did not accept enough help from the FBI in my own opinion. They focused on locals and haven't released any information for the purpose of the public helping. I don't think they have a clue.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

BBM

Exactly. Piketon's population is about the same as Delphi's. Delphi welcomes the assistance. Piketon seems not to welcome any, (unless they're keeping that securely under wraps too). Again, why?

Excellent point. I do not think they're all connected by the same perp(s) necessarily (although haven't ruled it out), but I'd bet they all have similar motives.

Assuming the Newsome and Eapmon connection for the sake of argument, is it possible that CRsr and GR were the lone original targets? I have two example scenarios that could bring in the other victims:

Suppose their motives were same as Eapmon and Newsomes, but during the crime, some of the other family members spooked the murders. Like, maybe the lookout noticed that FRs bedroom light turned on right after they killed CRsr & GR (HG nursing baby or something), so they think "oh crap, they might have heard the gun shots, we need to get them too." After that, maybe they see DR drive by (on way home from work) -- maybe she doesn't stop, but just drives by slow looking like "what are they doing over there this late, that's kinda weird." So the killers think "oh crap, we gotta go get DR now since she clearly seen our vehicles here." Then they realize "if we're going to get DR, were gonna have to get anyone and everyone else inside the house" and etc....

**This is all hypothetical here and it's not my main theory but I can't rule it out.**

I also wondered if perhaps CRsr and GR faught back and not just faught back, but what if they caused some serious damage in defending their lives? What if they got one of the killers real good... so much so that the killer(s) became so enraged that they not just killed CR & GR but decided to go after 6 more close relatives?

Not likely, but does anyone else think something like this is possible? Not my exact scenario obviously, but something similar where CRsr's trailer was the original target but for some reason, more people needed to be killed after the fact. Feel free to poke holes in my theories-- I'd love to cross them off my list.

One major flaw to these theories, is how well everything was executed. 4 crime scenes and so little evidence left behind. It sure seems like every aspect was planned to a T. Otherwise, It would take some luck to pull this off without some serious premeditation.

I agree it's not likely but at this point I just don't know.
My 1st thought on this when I heard it is some type of inheritance or something along those lines. Even after they mentioned the drugs I didn't really think that was it but now idk.
It's very similar to the candy newsome case and the Eastman/Tomlinson case with the exception of more than one house being targeted.
Imo CR & GR fighting & hitting someone would be a motive if it were only that house but since there are 4 homes I don't think so. It just baffles me.
Did they ever have the dogs blood tested for tranqualozers or some type of sedatives but then again why go through all that trouble if they were a threat they would just shoot them also. They had to be familiar to the dogs imo

I agree I don't think they would need to dress as LE. I think if they did they would have less chance getting in TBH. I'm not bashing them but doubt they were too keen on having police on their property without a warrant & id bet they would know the law pretty well. Just my feeling on it. Plus wasn't all of them in bed/asleep except CR & GR? If so they couldn't get up to answer door and let them in

That's what hangs me up with the drug theory and the connection to the other murders too. For the most part, to get their point across, they'd have maybe threatened to murder CR1's mother, or would have burned her house down. That would have gotten them into line, really quickly. I just see a lot of anger with this. I've said it before, but when this case first came out, two family members I talked to, said the same thing; They've done something to someone that's unforgivable and it's mountain justice. Revenge killings. Someone who knew those properties like the backs of their hands could get in and get out and hairs, and dna, would be common to those homes.

I pretty much agree on this but KR is where I get confused. He was a family member but not what I'd say immediate. When I think family I think mom dad & kids not cousins & uncles. GR could have just been at wrong place wrong time but KR wasn't there so it had to be something that CR KR DR FR were all involved in doing.
I do think that it's someone who was there a lot & would have legitimate excuse why their finger prints/DNA/hair were there.
My family has settled down a lot but back when I was a kid I remember it was quite klanish where you messed with one you messed with all 100+ Aunts,uncles, cousins & such and the inner fights were vicious. Nobody got custody of the kids if they decided to leave so I can see wheee a family squabble could cause this but KR is where I get confused again

Yeah, in retrospect, DeWine and Reader did everything they could to downplay any interest in the case. IMO, part of that included stiff-arming the FBI and DEA. Seems the latter were allowed some early, minimal participation. From the start, though, it was DeWine bragging about all the high tech capability of the Ohio BCI - really? Compared to the resources available from the FBI? DeWine did his best to keep this case local and out of the news, even to the extent of calling in LE from other Ohio counties and towns instead of relying on help from FBI, US Marshalls, etc.

Notice they've kept federal prosecutors out of the loop, too. It's a much different way of handling major crimes than other areas of the state, where LE routinely work with FBI and other feds. A great example was FBI assistance in finding Justin Andrew Christian, the serial abductor of young girls in Lorain, OH.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index.ssf/2016/12/serial_abductor_arrested_in_cl.html

DeWine had to put in his .02 for the media announcement, but it was local LE working with FBI and county prosecutors who got this guy.

This is such a tragic case, as are the other, similar murders that have occurred in the area. I really wish DeWine and Reader would do the right thing and let other agencies back into the investigation.

I believe Dewine's AG office had to create a new protocol for the use of familial DNA with this Justin Christian case. They said that they would only use this technology for the most serious of crimes in Ohio. I wonder what kind of DNA was collected from these Rhoden crime scenes, if any...

Maybe I should "jinx" myself by giving up this case for Lent. For example, if I stay off of Websleuths and stop looking for new info, maybe the case will be solved by end of Lent. But I would hate to have to catch up on all what I might mis.

I pretty much agree on this but KR is where I get confused. He was a family member but not what I'd say immediate. When I think family I think mom dad & kids not cousins & uncles. GR could have just been at wrong place wrong time but KR wasn't there so it had to be something that CR KR DR FR were all involved in doing.
I do think that it's someone who was there a lot & would have legitimate excuse why their finger prints/DNA/hair were there.
My family has settled down a lot but back when I was a kid I remember it was quite klanish where you messed with one you messed with all 100+ Aunts,uncles, cousins & such and the inner fights were vicious. Nobody got custody of the kids if they decided to leave so I can see wheee a family squabble could cause this but KR is where I get confused again

Let's say that Person #1 is livid at their family member(s) and wants revenge for a wrong.
They're complaining to Person #2, b/c Person #2 has had some hard feelings recently too, with the family, and is feeling fed up. (Misery loves company, birds of a feather, etc...)
So, they've sat around talking about what they should do, and how they should do it, over a few beers, the past few weeks, and it turns out that Person #1 is far more brutal, and serious, than Person #2.
Person #2 may not have even been in on the actual act, and is shocked when Person #1 comes by, and says they've eradicated "the problem", misunderstanding that Person #2 was just all talk.
So, Person #1 has to then take out Person #2, although they had never planned to do so.

Far fetched maybe, maybe not.

To me, the bottom line is Who benefited financially by the murders? And Who would be successful in intimidating LE to back off? They've already proven they will kill extended family.

To me, the bottom line is Who benefited financially by the murders? And Who would be successful in intimidating LE to back off? They've already proven they will kill extended family.

Very good points. I also wonder who would be willing to kill 4 innocent teenagers to accomplish their goals?

I was also wondering if the FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit did a profile of the killers? It would be helpful in apprehending the killer, especially as we're coming up on 1 year with no answers.

I would be really interested to know what BAU thinks about the kind of people who commit this horrific crime.

Very good points. I also wonder who would be willing to kill 4 innocent teenagers to accomplish their goals?

I was also wondering if the FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit did a profile of the killers? It would be helpful in apprehending the killer, especially as we're coming up on 1 year with no answers.

I would be really interested to know what BAU thinks about the kind of people who commit this horrific crime.

T thought about why they didn't kill the children. I feel it was because the children wouldn't be able to identify them and/or know who might have done this.

Just came across this recent article about Pike County Sheriff's Office creating a new major crimes task force to investigate cold case murders in the county.

Sheriff Charles Reader announced on Monday his new Major Crimes Task Force is close to breaking a case.

The six-member team is digging into at least five cold case murders and taking on any new violent crime that occurs in the county. Sheriff Reader says the goal is to bring justice to the victims' families.

It started by looking through old files in Pike County and then investigators had questions.

"Some of the cases we're working on are at least 20 years old. Things that 15, 20 years ago they couldn't establish, today they can," task force member Allen Smith said.

I wonder which cold case they're referring to that they're close to solving?

http://www.10tv.com/article/pike-county-sheriff-announces-new-major-crimes-task-force

Pike County Major Crimes Task Force members say they are not working on the Rhoden family murders and the Ohio Attorney General's Office Bureau of Criminal Investigation is still the lead agency on that investigation.

ETA: BBM

T thought about why they didn't kill the children. I feel it was because the children wouldn't be able to identify them and/or know who might have done this.

Yes, that's the most likely scenario. It takes a different level of criminal depravity to do that, too.

Another question I was wondering about: Early in the investigation, DeWine announced a task force of over 100 members, led by Ohio BCI. I wonder if that task force is still active, or if it's just BCI and Reader's office now working on this. If they are active, who is still part of the Task Force and how often are they meeting?

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/...6/Pike-County-Multiple-Homicide-Investigation

Off topic, but in Union Hill Road, close to where Rhodens lived. We had some NASTY storms last night, tornados touched down, flooding many areas.
Oh Union Hill Road there was an RV tipped over and relocated a few feet where apparently a tornado touched down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member