OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #27

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it is just me, but I would not have taken it off. I would have backed up as far as I could get from the truck and called the police. Anyone could have put that device on there even a private investigator or the killers. And if my family had been murdered just under a mile from my house I would not be thinking it was put on my truck to benefit me.

Good thought too, but, if I were in the position of the Manleys, out the window it would have gone, on my way to work one morning, as if it had fallen off itself. I'd not be wanting to dial up LE to come to the house if I were in JM's shoes. I'd say there might be some trust issues there.

You don't waste this much time and expense and manpower because of a maybe. They pretty much know for certain he is not telling everything he knows. Whatever evidence was used was in that warrant, whatever those investigators would have had to testify to, BCI does not want out in public. That's why it was kicked over to the GJ. Junk as much as said it was to protect the investigators, to keep the information secret until they could lock up the perpetrators. So until we know what they have to go on lets not assume the BCI are complete idiots out there running around like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off.

Encouraging that there is a grand jury. My guess is that it is a federal GJ and that racketeering is involved. Doesn't take too much to envision what sorts of pressure points Manley may have. Whatever he knows about the involvements of the rest of the family he likely knows through his own involvements--placing him at risk on the one hand of being tried for something illegal, or on the other hand of incurring the wrath of some folks bigger than him if he shares info. But, if they are talking GJ, odds are that LE has sufficient info to establish a case. Depending on the size of what they have put together (which most likely extends well beyond the individual murders), it may take some time before we hear the magic words "indictment." At that point I would look for some pretty quick LE action and arrests.

SMH

Half of you have JM as a coward who is afraid of his own shadow and the other half has him as the Lone Ranger, riding off on his own into the sunset in pursuit of justice.

Meanwhile, this is why I think LE is leaning on him so hard. Maybe his explanation for being at DR's that morning just didn't add up. Maybe his explanation for knowing his niece would be "like that" before he even entered the house just doesn't add up. Maybe because he failed a polygraph.

BBM
Click here: Pike County: 'I was not leaving those babies in there'

Manley said she thinks one of the people in her car may have followed her into one of the trailers, but she's not sure which one or what they saw. She said she can't remember many details after the discoveries, including how her older brother, James Manley, came to find their sister Dana Rhoden dead in her trailer, which is north of the other two trailers on Union Hill Road.

"He could hear the baby crying and he backed up out of there,'' said his wife, April Manley, in a separate interview describing what her husband told her. "He didn't want to find his niece like that."

So why do you think the Highway 23 DRUG task force was called out to the search on the W's property? Do you think BCI was just treating them to a nice outing on a horse ranch because they have been working too hard? Maybe BCI thought the fresh air would do them good. After all they have been cooped up out on Highway 23 investigating drug trafficking for a while. The exhaust fumes off all those vehicles they have been stopping to search for drugs surely is clogging up their sinuses.

This has always looked to me like an organized crime effort--based on the size and scope of the crime. I could be wrong, but I suspect that most organized crime in this country today revolves around drugs and to a much lesser extent prostitution, gambling, animal fighting (with a gambling component). Certainly the geo location would fall in with drugs. And the grow evidence that was published is certainly supportive of that.

I have to think that I would. I hope never to have to be put into that situation!

ETA: If I had a family member who was diabolical enough to plan and then carry out eight murders, I would want them locked up so they cannot do something like this ever again.

In the scenario that went on w/my extended family member's aunt/uncle: They were someone's parents. They lost an adult child. They blamed other family members. After an investigation, LE claimed their child's death was accidental. They didn't trust that this was true, and it ate at them for months, until one day the two of them acted. Now each have a charge of murder, attempted murder, and a whole slew of other charges. Would you turn your parents in?

In the scenario that went on w/my extended family member's aunt/uncle: They were someone's parents. They lost an adult child. They blamed other family members. After an investigation, LE claimed their child's death was accidental. They didn't trust that this was true, and it ate at them for months, until one day the two of them acted. Now each have a charge of murder, attempted murder, and a whole slew of other charges. Would you turn your parents in?

That's a hard question regarding parents, but I think I would definitely protect my child.

You don't pursue justice for yourself. You let the law handle it. I think his not telling LE what he knows has less to do with any noble thoughts of meting out justice himself and more to do with saving his own skin.
You may not, but I would have no qualms taking justice in my own hands. About 20 years ago (the statute of limitations has run out now), I was sitting in a house that was home invaded. We didn't call the police. We found out who did it and beat the two perps within an inch of their lives and left them in the woods outside of a small town here in South Georgia. We never heard from those two again because we put the fear of God in them.

I'm not saying that trying to be a badass or puff my chest, but its a reality for some people.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

SMH

Half of you have JM as a coward who is afraid of his own shadow and the other half has him as the Lone Ranger, riding off on his own into the sunset in pursuit of justice.

Meanwhile, this is why I think LE is leaning on him so hard. Maybe his explanation for being at DR's that morning just didn't add up. Maybe his explanation for knowing his niece would be "like that" before he even entered the house just doesn't add up. Maybe because he failed a polygraph.

BBM
Click here: Pike County: 'I was not leaving those babies in there'

Manley said she thinks one of the people in her car may have followed her into one of the trailers, but she's not sure which one or what they saw. She said she can't remember many details after the discoveries, including how her older brother, James Manley, came to find their sister Dana Rhoden dead in her trailer, which is north of the other two trailers on Union Hill Road.

"He could hear the baby crying and he backed up out of there,'' said his wife, April Manley, in a separate interview describing what her husband told her. "He didn't want to find his niece like that."

All three of the people who found the deceased have done, or said, something to make me skeptical of them. Very skeptical. That line that AM said that JM told her hung with me from the git go. BJM's time frames never added up. DS traipsing around property and not calling 911 till he "found" pot plants that he didn't know about (right/s). None of that, alone, makes them guilty though. Suspicious? Yes. Could I convict them? No. My advice, if one ever walks into a horrific crime scene? Never talk to the press.

That's a hard question regarding parents, but I think I would definitely protect my child.

Their child is deceased. Their other children are adults. If you knew your aunt/uncle committed this crime against your other aunt/uncle b/c of what had been going on in the family for months and months. Would you be the one to pick up the phone and make that call? Your cousin's parents would be going to prison for the rest of their lives. The whole dynamic of your family would change, again, forever, and you would be the one who made the phone call. Or would you hope one of your other cousins, or aunts, or uncles would pick up the phone, and choose to wait a bit longer.

You stated this very well. If I were in JM's situation with the unsolved murder of my sister and her family and I found a tracker on my vehicle, I would be extremely concerned that I (and my family) might be the next targets. That apparently didn't occur to him because he took it off and he smashed it on the sidewalk. He didn't call the police when he found the tracker, and he refused to leave work to discuss the situation with BCI when they were at his house. I would have wanted to talk to BCI, at a minimum, to find out why they put the tracker on my vehicle.

Why did he automatically assume that LE put it on his truck? He did just apparently fail a polygraph and if he knew he failed, that may have raised his suspicions when he found the tracker. But on the other hand, there are killers on the loose and these weren't random killings, his sister and her family were targeted.

I'd hate to think anyone in the family could have been involved in the murders, but JM's actions make me suspicious that he knows a lot more than what he is saying and also, that he isn't concerned about being a possible target. I hope that whatever tactic LE is using on this is successful and they are able to find out what JM knows.

I think JM may have reached a breaking point when he found the GPS tracker. Think about it. This family didn't even get a chance to grieve. Within the first couple of days after the killing, they broke into LM's house at 3 am, tossed it and took BJM away for interrogation. They've been under LE's microscope constantly, even though they've cooperated by giving DNA, taking polys, submitting to searches, etc. The pressure has probably been very intense. JMO, probably had enough and decided to stop cooperating with them. Pretty simple and understandable. Being cooperative, available and helpful didn't accomplish anything.

Keep in mind, JM may not have any information to give them, or he may not know any more than other friends and relatives of the Rhoden Family.

It also sounds like LE needs some second opinions on this case. Bring someone in from FBI, etc. to take a look at it to see if they need to take a different approach or focus on different people. If you've been focusing on a relative of the victims for an entire year and all the polys, searches, etc have produced nothing, it sounds like you may be barking up the wrong tree.

So why do you think the Highway 23 DRUG task force was called out to the search on the W's property? Do you think BCI was just treating them to a nice outing on a horse ranch because they have been working too hard? Maybe BCI thought the fresh air would do them good. After all they have been cooped up out on Highway 23 investigating drug trafficking for a while. The exhaust fumes off all those vehicles they have been stopping to search for drugs surely is clogging up their sinuses.

A team from correctional services was there as well and they weren't there to search for a fugitive. They needed force on site for some reason and used what they had.

Did you see DEA on site? No.

The thing I will agree with is they came with force and were ready for anything.

Anyway, I will make a pause to my participation in our conversation for a while. Let's see what happens next. Bye

Their child is deceased. Their other children are adults. If you knew your aunt/uncle committed this crime against your other aunt/uncle b/c of what had been going on in the family for months and months. Would you be the one to pick up the phone and make that call? Your cousin's parents would be going to prison for the rest of their lives. The whole dynamic of your family would change, again, forever, and you would be the one who made the phone call. Or would you hope one of your other cousins, or aunts, or uncles would pick up the phone, and choose to wait a bit longer.

I can understand the incredible problem that would cause!

In this case, I am thinking that someone in the family may have been involved and I have a budding theory on who that might be. LE is very careful to call JM a "witness". I don't think JM was involved but he might be protecting someone who is. LE is certainly putting the squeeze on him to scare him into talking, IMO.

What had been going on in the family for months and months? Just curious. Other than the fact the Chris Sr and KR had a grow op at their place, I'm not aware of any other activity. Is there something else?

I think JM may have reached a breaking point when he found the GPS tracker. Think about it. This family didn't even get a chance to grieve. Within the first couple of days after the killing, they broke into LM's house at 3 am, tossed it and took BJM away for interrogation. They've been under LE's microscope constantly, even though they've cooperated by giving DNA, taking polys, submitting to searches, etc. The pressure has probably been very intense. JMO, probably had enough and decided to stop cooperating with them. Pretty simple and understandable. Being cooperative, available and helpful didn't accomplish anything.

Keep in mind, JM may not have any information to give them, or he may not know any more than other friends and relatives of the Rhoden Family.

It also sounds like LE needs some second opinions on this case. Bring someone in from FBI, etc. to take a look at it to see if they need to take a different approach or focus on different people. If you've been focusing on a relative of the victims for an entire year and all the polys, searches, etc have produced nothing, it sounds like you may be barking up the wrong tree.

I am of the opinion that LE has a very good idea of who did it, but they need a confession or a witness to talk. JM is considered a witness. I don't think he did it, but I think he might be protecting someone. JMO

According to LM, JM failed a recent polygraph. From LM, we know AM was also given a polygragh. We do not know the results of that polygraph. From BJM and LM, we know BJM has had several polygraphs and BJM stated she has passed them.

We don't know who else has been given polygraphs in the Manley family, or anyone else for that matter. LE isn't saying.

According to LM, JM failed a recent polygraph. From LM, we know AM was also given a polygragh. We do not know the results of that polygraph. From BJM and LM, we know BJM has had several polygraphs and BJM stated she has passed them.

We don't know who else has been given polygraphs in the Manley family, or anyone else for that matter. LE isn't saying.

Considering LE has spent an entire year putting pressure on the Manleys and the Manleys have been cooperating by taking polys, etc. it sounds like LE is working a dry hole so to speak. If JM knows the killers, then LE should have an idea by now of who they are. Might be helpful if LE spent a little manpower putting pressure on the suspects, instead of the witnesses. Until a couple of weeks ago, it doesn't seem they were doing that.

BTW, what ever happened to the guys who were running the "shatter" lab? The discovery of MJ shipments at the local post office and subsequent bust of a shatter lab happened around the time of the Rhoden killings. Early on, we thought these cases might be linked.

Amazingly, it seems Prosecutor Rob Junk actually dismissed charges against the two guys who were buying MJ and using it to manufacture "shatter" in their lab.

Pike prosecutor dropping 'shatter lab' charges

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s...s-dropped-derek-boyer-aaron-higgins/86145380/

Boyer and Higgins, both 26, were charged June 15 with one count each of illegal manufacture of drugs or cultivation of marijuana, illegal assembly or possession of chemicals for the manufacture of drugs, possession of criminal tools and possession of drugs.

Sheriff Charlie Reader said deputies found numerous cans of butane; evidence of hash oil, or "shatter," inside Boyer's home; and a tube filled with marijuana being processed.

Rob Junk gave one of the most unusual excuses for dropping the felony charges. He's dropping charges, after finding a lab with MJ and shatter, plus equipment, etc. because he needs to "gather more evidence".

Dismissing the charges will allow the case to proceed without jeopardizing the case because of speedy trial concerns, Junk said. Under Ohio law, criminal cases must proceed to trial within 90 days, unless the accused person waives that right.

There's something really, really wrong with the way Rob Junk does his job.

Considering LE has spent an entire year putting pressure on the Manleys and the Manleys have been cooperating by taking polys, etc. it sounds like LE is working a dry hole so to speak. If JM knows the killers, then LE should have an idea by now of who they are. Might be helpful if LE spent a little manpower putting pressure on the suspects, instead of the witnesses. Until a couple of weeks ago, it doesn't seem they were doing that.

BTW, what ever happened to the guys who were running the "shatter" lab? The discovery of MJ shipments at the local office and subsequent bust of a shatter lab happened around the time of the Rhoden killings. Early on, we thought these cases might be linked.

Amazingly, it seems Prosecutor Rob Junk actually dismissed charges against the two guys who were buying MJ and using it to manufacture "shatter" in their lab.

http://www.chillicothegazette.com/s...s-dropped-derek-boyer-aaron-higgins/86145380/

Rob Junk gave one of the most unusual excuses for dropping the felony charges. He's dropping charges, after finding a lab with MJ and shatter, plus equipment, etc. because he needs to "gather more evidence".

We don't what, if any, pressure LE is putting on a suspect. My thoughts are that LE may be putting pressure on that person by putting pressure on JM, who they consider to be a witness. JMO.

I think the secrecy and delays are a combination of #1 and part of #3.
The following are my thoughts and opinions.
The Rhoden/Gilley murders were up close and personal. Basically, two generations of one branch of the Rhoden family tree were killed. This brings to my mind that the motive may very well end up being resentment/hatred/envy of someone close to them. Several theories have merit for me.
In committing these murders, I think the killer(s) unintentionally opened a Pandora's Box that has led to Betty P's #1 and #3 situations.
I think that a massive criminal enterprise was discovered as a result of the murders. Something maybe interstate in scope be it drugs, vehicle or heavy equipment theft, or whatever. Now, a criminal enterprise has to have a top man/woman and here is where "Boss Hogg" enters. I think the Rhoden/Gilley murderer(s) acted entirely on their own. I just don't see Boss Hogg calling for or sanctioning such a headline-grabbing situation as these murders are. Let's put Boss Hogg on hold for a little bit.
The Rhoden men may have been involved in some way, shape, or form with the large criminal enterprise. I am not putting them down if they were. (Off topic here, the father of one of my life-long friends was an old moonshiner, could make the stuff "taste almost as smooth as sipping whiskey" as they used to say, wonderful people, salt of the earth.) LE could have discovered information at the murder scenes about the big criminal enterprise. LE could be trying to follow the chain of command up to Boss Hogg.
Perhaps the killers are also in some way involved with the criminal enterprise too. However, I don't think their motive is in any way related to it.
Boss Hogg would not be happy with the killer(s) if this happened. In fact, he/she might want to make their miserable lives worse. Boss Hogg may believe that the killer(s) might throw him/her under the bus to get themselves some help.
So, long supposition short, people who have not been truthful with LE and could help the murder investigation progress are doing so out of fear of keeping the attention of Boss Hogg and not really fear of the killers themselves.
Lastly, I still think KR was a crime of opportunity in that his killer knew the others were dead and decided to use it as a cover for theft.

This. ^^^

I am under the impression that LE already have a solid lead about who committed the murders. But, I have long believed they are trying to tackle a much bigger issue that came to light because of their investigations. As Pearl said, a Pandora's Box. At this point, if they have to drag the murder case out longer to get other crimes resolved, I do believe they will. I don't think LE wants to jump the gun with the magnitude of all the potential criminal activities unearthed during the course of the initial murder investigation. While many think LE is incompetent and not working this case, I for one think that their moves are very calculated and what information is and isn't shared with the media is absolutely planned.

I cannot share my theory yet on why/who I think did the actual murders, but I am with the personal/love/family/revenge motive crowd. I do not believe their murders had anything to truly do with drug dealing or cars or any of that stuff.

Or a very valid reason for dropping the charges at that point. Could be trying to catch the bigger fish rather than just take the small fish to the stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leahruss