OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #28

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I found on www.uslandrecords.com which appears to be where the Adams county recorder publishes data to.

NumberFile DateInst. Date
201400000319 2/4/2014 03:07:00PM0/0/0
Type. Volume. Page # of Pages
(DEED )000427 0545 2

Remarks71.5594 AC MS 1981
RemarksPAR #66-63
Free Form
MECHANICS LIEN RECORDED
Remarks 12/16/16 OR 477 PAGE 689

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the face of the document it shows a 700 dollar conveyance fee was paid. The conveyance fee in Adams is $4.00 per thousand, based on the sale price. So it looks like the sale price was in fact $175K.

On the face of the document it shows a 700 dollar conveyance fee was paid. The conveyance fee in Adams is $4.00 per thousand, based on the sale price. So it looks like the sale price was in fact $175K.

Thanks, I used the same calculation with the conveyance fees for the 2 parcels that were sold on 3/17/2017 and came up with 200K on that sale. Looks like the same people bought both parcels, 1 for 165K and the other for 35K. Seems to be taking a long time for the tax records to be updated. I wonder if something went sideways on the sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Two boys, barely out of their teens, purchase a property for 175K without a mortgage? There is something wrong there. Could be a relative loaned it to them, but with their parents living with them and apparently not even owning their own home....

That is some serious cash on hand. I suspect LE has had their eye on them for a few years.

Could it have been a land contract purchase?

Could it have been a land contract purchase?

That's a possibility. However, It doesn't look like anything was filed with the recorder by the seller. Only thing that I can find on that sale is the Warranty Deed from 2/4/2014. I am not a lawyer, but it looks like a land contract has to be recorded by the county recorder per ORC 5313.02 and 5301.25

https://www.ohiobar.org/forpublic/resources/lawyoucanuse/pages/lawyoucanuse-669.aspx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The land is pretty obviously vacant (at least it was a couple days ago) but no deed has been filed. Other homes that have sold in the area recently have already been updated into the system. Either something has gone "sideways" as OP said, or wheels are just moving slowly. Seems they were in a rush though to have everything out of there by a specific date for the new owners, of course some folks are not very accommodating and want your stuff out yesterday, no matter the move in date.

Are all three survivors eligible for the inheritances?

Are all three survivors eligible for the inheritances?

The only thing that I can see them inheriting would be a tiny portion, split three ways, of what would be CR1's portion of any of the properties. At a later date, possibly some type of small inheritance that would have gone to their grandmother, DR, from her parents. The CR1 properties that were listed "et al" means there's other folks to split the properties between. CR1's grandchildren would split his portion.

ETA: That could be years away too unless the adults wish to go ahead and make a sale and settle everything or, the children's guardian(s) could call for their shares to be liquidated and family could buy those shares out, or be forced to sell the land.

The only thing that I can see them inheriting would be a tiny portion, split three ways, of what would be CR1's portion of any of the properties. At a later date, possibly some type of small inheritance that would have gone to their grandmother, DR, from her parents. The CR1 properties that were listed "et al" means there's other folks to split the properties between. CR1's grandchildren would split his portion.

ETA: That could be years away too unless the adults wish to go ahead and make a sale and settle everything or, the children's guardian(s) could call for their shares to be liquidated and family could buy those shares out, or be forced to sell the land.

Thank you! That is quite interesting.

BJM said she is worried that the land her trailer sits on, which was owned by CR, will get sold as part of the probate actions.

But paperwork filed in Pike County Probate Court only lists assets for CR Jr., HR and "F" Rhoden so far. Each had a $25,000 life insurance policy. A 2000 Ford Super Duty pickup truck is listed as an asset in CR's probate action.

The value of it, though, is unknown because it remains in state custody "due to (the) circumstances of this matter."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...hopes-new-poster-sparks-information/99519916/

I can't figure out if we're sitting on a powder keg or this has been much ado about nothing. Probably the former.

First of all, I thought is was determined that CRsr and KR were growing pot other drugs found there? And due to the state not paying for their funerals I assumed their property can be "taken" if involved in illegal activities. But as far as I know, probate is probably on hold until this case is solved.
"Rumors" around that W's are back in town, if they ever left?
And something's been bothering me since LM said " They/he had to send LE in Dana's trailer 3 times before they found CRjr's body. My understanding was that JM was the only person who went into DR's trailer, and that he "backed out" when he saw DR's feet? Didn't want to see his niece that way. So my question is " How did LM and/or other family members know that CRjr was in there?" I'm assuming this was before they found KR. How did they know he wasn't with him, or at school or on his way to school? Had spent the night with someone? Also wouldn't the bed or mattress be pulled out a little from the wall, if someone was between the bed and the wall? This among so many other things puzzles the heck out of me.

Thank you! That is quite interesting.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/new...hopes-new-poster-sparks-information/99519916/

I can't figure out if we're sitting on a powder keg or this has been much ado about nothing. Probably the former.

The insurance policies, I'd think, would go to each of the deceased's children, w/the exception of CR2, and his would likely go to his closest living relative. All of the probate actions may be held up due to their deaths being murders. IANAL but since the insurance pay outs have not been made on the life insurance policies, as of the writing of this article, I'm leaning toward that being a possibility.

First of all, I thought is was determined that CRsr and KR were growing pot other drugs found there? And due to the state not paying for their funerals I assumed their property can be "taken" if involved in illegal activities. But as far as I know, probate is probably on hold until this case is solved.
And something's been bothering me since LM said " They/he had to send LE in Dana's trailer 3 times before they found CRjr's body. My understanding was that JM was the only person who went into DR's trailer, and that he "backed out" when he saw DR's feet? Didn't want to see his niece that way. So my question is " How did LM and/or other family members know that CRjr was in there?" I'm assuming this was before they found KR. How did they know he wasn't with him, or at school or on his way to school? Had spent the night with someone? Also wouldn't the bed or mattress be pulled out a little from the wall, if someone was between the bed and the wall? This among so many other things puzzles the heck out of me.

bbm
I don't know for sure, but, I think they'd have to have a criminal conviction in order to seize any of the property. I don't see how they'd go about that under the circumstances.

The AK visit. I don't think they were in AK at that particular point in time. Not that they'd never been there, they just weren't there then.

I don't understand them missing CR2 either. Maybe they were calling around to see if he'd stayed somewhere else or had maybe managed to run somewhere and had hidden there. I can't see LE making a sweep, three times, and missing him though, if only to search everywhere for a hidden survivor.

Thinking of shells, casings and guns. I have watched too much NCIS, its true.
Feel free to correct me or add anything I may be missing as I attempt to understand.

Lets say someone shoots a gun, the gun spits the casings out and the bullet s go into a fencepost.
For whatever reason BCI gets the gun, casing and shell.
Am I understanding correctly that they can identify the shell being fired by this weapon due to markings on the bullet as it gets fired from the gun, that said gun absolutely fired the bullet?

Feel free to correct me or add anything I may be missing as I attempt to understand.

Lets say someone shoots a gun, the gun spits the casings out and the bullet s go into a fencepost.
Am I understanding correctly that they can identify the shell being fired by this weapon due to markings on the bullet as it gets fired from the gun, that said gun absolutely fired the bullet?

I'm no expert, and don't watch NCIS, but I've seen enough crime shows on the ID channel to say that seems to be correct. The bullet casings will leave marks that are unique to the gun that fired them. I guess the question would be if any 2 guns could leave the same markings on a bullet casing?

I'm no expert, and don't watch NCIS, but I've seen enough crime shows on the ID channel to say that seems to be correct. The bullet casings will leave marks that are unique to the gun that fired them. I guess the question would be if any 2 guns could leave the same markings on a bullet casing?

No, 2 guns can not leave the same markings.

This is what led to arrests in the DC sniper case about 15 years ago.

IIRC the D.C. Snipers were identified after a search for bullet slugs at a home in Washington state matched slugs pulled from some of the victims in that case. Seems that they were target practicing in the back yard of their home at some time before the sniper attacks.

Ive studied the research involved with how LE tries to identify weapons involved in shootings and I can share what I know about it.

Its real interesting and LE can identify certain weapons used in shootings but it is very dependent on what items they can recover from the crime scene. LE can only be successful if what they uncover is the right things and they are in a condition that is good enough for them to identify.

We first have to be sure to understand the 4 main parts that LE needs to try to find at the scene or after the crime.

1-THE BULLET
Bullet is the lead or other metal type projectile that comes out of the shell casing and hits a person or thing like a wall. The bullet is what kills and lands inside a person.

Its very important to know that bullets deform and break apart many times after impact with things. So depending on what LE finds of the bullet will impact how much they can identify things.

The markings on the bullet occurs from the gun's barrel as the bullet travels down the barrel. Each barrel will leave unique microscopic markings but if the bullet is broken apart or fragmented into pieces then identifying a gun is either very difficult and sometimes impossible to use the bullet. Sometimes just tiny fragments of the bullet is all LE finds.

If LE finds a good intact bullet then if they also find the gun they can do comparison tests as they shoot new bullets through it to tell if the same gun shot the bullet they found.

We are talking about microscopic tests for markings so certain markings may only be seen at microscopic level and can be very unique to a gun and what its particular barrel does to every bullet that goes through it.

Criminals have been known to file the inside of barrels after a crime to disrupt the markings after they commit a crime so that if LE finds the weapon it wont leave the same markings the next time.

2-SHELL CASING
Shell casing is the housing that holds the bullet. There is gunpowder and a primer that is part of the shell and is what causes the explosion to force the bullet out the end.

Only semi-automatic handguns throw the shell casings out. If a person has a revolver with a cylinder then the casings stay with the gun. Criminals are getting smart and will sometimes pick up their shell casings after a crime.

Rifles typically always throw out the shell casing if another shell is cocked into the chamber.

The shell casing is very important to find too because LE can compare the small microscopic markings left by a guns ejection system and they can sometimes tell if a gun is the same gun that ejected a casing.

I had one gun a long time ago that left bad scratches every time I ejected a casing. The casing markings were very visible on that gun. LE uses a microscope and detect small minor markings on casings from the ejection system of a gun.

3-THE PRIMER
Primer is the small round mini explosive that sits on the end of the shell casing. The hammer of the gun lands on this primer and a mini explosion takes place which causes the gunpowder to explode and the large explosion to make the bullet projectile force out the other end.

The primer is important because the guns hammer will leave a mark on the primer. Each gun will leave very unique hammer markings on the primer. So if LE can find the shell casing then they have 1 part of what they need. They will also need to find the gun to compare the markings when they test fire new shells through the gun.

4-THE GUN
The gun with the barrel attached(either handgun or rifle).

LE has to eventually find the gun to have something to compare to. This is why criminals sometimes throw them in lakes rivers etc. They know the gun is important to LE to find so they take steps to get rid of it.

Handguns have many types and depending on the type then LE can get more evidence or not. Semi-Automatics throw the shells casing. Revolvers do not.

Rifles usually throw casings if another shell is cocked into its chamber.

Criminals are getting smarter and most criminals now try to not leave shell casings or the gun around after they commit a crime. The bullet projectile is usually recoverable but it can be deformed or broken into pieces and so the bullet may not be much help to LE unless they find a good intact bullet to compare markings to,

The bottom line is LE needs to find as much evidence at the scene as possible which includes the shell casing, the bullet projectile, and eventually the gun itself is always needed to have something to compare to.

Hope this helps.

This is what led to arrests in the DC sniper case about 15 years ago.

IIRC the D.C. Snipers were identified after a search for bullet slugs at a home in Washington state matched slugs pulled from some of the victims in that case. Seems that they were target practicing in the back yard of their home at some time before the sniper attacks.

Thats right. A very good example case. I remember that now.

They interviewed people and found out where he was practicing shooting guns and they were able to find old casings in the yard.

Great example.

That DC sniper case had me scared at the time. I seriously thought about driving down there at the time to try to see if I would get lucky to spot the car they were looking for and get the large reward and then I realized how dangerous it would be to do that and I chickened out and did not go near the area.

I felt bad for people in the area as it was a very scary time. So glad the trucker spotted him and he and his partner were arrested.

The bed may have been in the middle of the room with space between both walls. Some people have their bed in the middle with night stands on either side.

I don't know about LM. Could he have been there on the scene and knew LE couldn't find CR2?

I just wonder what was in that enclosed trailer LE took from the W's. I don't think they would confiscate peoples property for evidence unless they found something to do with the murders.

The bed may have been in the middle of the room with space between both walls. Some people have their bed in the middle with night stands on either side.

I don't know about LM. Could he have been there on the scene and knew LE couldn't find CR2?

I just wonder what was in that enclosed trailer LE took from the W's. I don't think they would confiscate peoples property for evidence unless they found something to do with the murders.

This is how we've always had ours set up, with the exception of the time that I lived in a trailer. Idk how large CR2's bedroom was, but, the master bedroom is usually the largest, and the other two bedrooms were very small, forcing us to use a twin bed against the wall and a small nightstand in the other bedroom. If the trailers had some age on them then that may have been the case in CR2's bedroom b/c HMR would have needed a larger room due to having a toddler, and an infant, in her room. Then again, there was an add-on to the trailer iirc so that may have been another bedroom. He also could have been between the headboard and the wall. If what LM says is the gospel then there must not have been a lot of evidence that the assailant(s) had been in that room, but the assailant(s) had to have known that CR2 was there. If the room wasn't tossed, as if the assailants had been looking for him, among other things, like blood, LE may have thought he'd escaped, or stayed somewhere that night. The assailants must have walked right in there to where he was hiding, knowing he was home. I don't know if I'm wording this to make sense of what I'm thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member