OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My thoughts only here. I believe LE knows who did it. I think there is not enough evidence to go to trial. I also tend to believe a few people know who the guilty parties are, but fear for their lives, or family members lives so they are just staying quiet.
Which, judging the enormity of the crime, I can understand a persons fear.
I keep hoping this will open up with DeWine running for governor.
Seriously, how long can they keep the mobile homes stored? This is nuts.

Haven't posted in a while but agree with your comment. Has anyone watched Ozark on Netflix? Just saying...

My thoughts only here. I believe LE knows who did it. I think there is not enough evidence to go to trial. I also tend to believe a few people know who the guilty parties are, but fear for their lives, or family members lives so they are just staying quiet.

DeWine likes to keep these controversial cases under wraps. Tidy up a few loose ends and if you have to prosecute, go after the small fish. It's happened before, check the Steubenville rape case.

This case will stay under wraps for a while.

Haven't posted in a while but agree with your comment. Has anyone watched Ozark on Netflix? Just saying...

Yes! Ozark on Netflix is a great series. I only have one epi left to view. JMO, it's very relevant to this case and to drug trafficking & money laundering in southern and SE Ohio in general.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80117552

SE Ohio doesn't have the same level of tourist traffic as Lake of the Ozarks. For those who haven't watched yet, its attractive because the remote location and large amount of seasonal tourists doing business in cash makes for many money laundering opportunities. SE Ohio may lack some of that, but as the series illustrates, there are many other businesses in these rural areas that are ripe candidates for laundering cash.

The part of the series that focuses on other drug production in the Ozark area is also enlightening. It's fictional, but we all know that remote rural areas have been used to harbor very large drug production operations.

But, yeah, the money has to be laundered somewhere, through a variety of businesses. How are they doing it down in SE Ohio?

The thought of how nasty those homes are after all this time is sickening. I don't see how anything in them would be salvageable any more. Just being closed up that long would be bad but with all the gore that was in them, it has to be bio-hazard nasty by now. How could they have a jury go through them?

I believe LE knows who did this crime, too.
It just seems odd (if that's the right word) that 8 people are shot dead, in the middle of the night, all in the same area, and yet the police have no idea who could possibly be responsible? There had to be SOME KIND of evidence to link someone to this crime!

IMO

I believe LE knows who did this crime, too.
It just seems odd (if that's the right word) that 8 people are shot dead, in the middle of the night, all in the same area, and yet the police have no idea who could possibly be responsible? There had to be SOME KIND of evidence to link someone to this crime!

IMO
You would think so. I think it's a bummer that Dewine and Reader went on and on about how they were going to solve this, and didn't. It's cold. They should have just said from the beginning it was so well executed they would work hard but had no leads. Much like the Eapmon and Newsome case, there is nothing.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

The thought of how nasty those homes are after all this time is sickening. I don't see how anything in them would be salvageable any more. Just being closed up that long would be bad but with all the gore that was in them, it has to be bio-hazard nasty by now. How could they have a jury go through them?

Good point. They're pretty much useless by now and LE had to know that would be the case. My opinion has always been that LE took them to keep control of information about the deaths and crime scene. A secondary reason could be to intimidate surviving family members - keep them from talking publicly about what they know or saw.

Theres's something about the details of the deaths, especially the sequence in which they were killed that caused LE to lock down all the information. It's why they closed up the homes and have fought so hard to keep the autopsy details quiet - because they describe who the killers are. JMO, LE doesn't want anyone to know who the killers are. The family, friends and some others in the area also know, but have been intimidated into silence.

I can't come up with any other explanation for LE needlessly confiscating homes, family possessions, etc. of victims, publicly trash talking and threatening locals and family members and projecting complete disregard for the safety of the community. When they were dismissive of queries about the safety of the community, even though no arrests had been made, it indicated LE or former LE were involved and that, right or wrong, BCI and local LE thought they had neutralized that threat. They don't want to arrest the killers, they just want to silence them.

Those who live in the area know it's history. The rest of us can read up on this region and it's connections to organized crime going back to the 1920's. It's a system that runs from Youngstown to Steubenville, West Virginia, Parkersburg, Portsmouth, Chillicothe and all the rural counties in between. It's the history of law enforcement and jurisprudence in this area, it's how part of the local economy operates. Alcohol, prostitution, gambling, fencing stolen goods, money laundering, drugs.

Within a month or two, the politicians in Columbus decided to compromise by finally passing a law to legallize medical MJ in Ohio. That's how they decided to deal with the problem and the people and businesses given exclusive rights to grow and process the product should be under close scrutiny. It's possible some might be connected to these murders, no directly, but with a few degrees of separation.

:moo:

Good point. They're pretty much useless by now and LE had to know that would be the case. My opinion has always been that LE took them to keep control of information about the deaths and crime scene. A secondary reason could be to intimidate surviving family members - keep them from talking publicly about what they know or saw.

Theres's something about the details of the deaths, especially the sequence in which they were killed that caused LE to lock down all the information. It's why they closed up the homes and have fought so hard to keep the autopsy details quiet - because they describe who the killers are. JMO, LE doesn't want anyone to know who the killers are. The family, friends and some others in the area also know, but have been intimidated into silence.

I can't come up with any other explanation for LE needlessly confiscating homes, family possessions, etc. of victims, publicly trash talking and threatening locals and family members and projecting complete disregard for the safety of the community. When they were dismissive of queries about the safety of the community, even though no arrests had been made, it indicated LE or former LE were involved and that, right or wrong, BCI and local LE thought they had neutralized that threat. They don't want to arrest the killers, they just want to silence them.

Those who live in the area know it's history. The rest of us can read up on this region and it's connections to organized crime going back to the 1920's. It's a system that runs from Youngstown to Steubenville, West Virginia, Parkersburg, Portsmouth, Chillicothe and all the rural counties in between. It's the history of law enforcement and jurisprudence in this area, it's how part of the local economy operates. Alcohol, prostitution, gambling, fencing stolen goods, money laundering, drugs.

Within a month or two, the politicians in Columbus decided to compromise by finally passing a law to legallize medical MJ in Ohio. That's how they decided to deal with the problem and the people and businesses given exclusive rights to grow and process the product should be under close scrutiny. It's possible some might be connected to these murders, no directly, but with a few degrees of separation.

I think what they don't want out is something to do with something that was done, in the homes, or to the bodies.

Legal marijuana was on the ballot prior to 2016, but it was voted down because of the way Ohio wanted to do it (and I agree, they should have voted it down, it was wrong). It's only been, within the past few months of 2017, that they have even started licensing growers. Also, if you're a prospective patient you're still S.O.L. because as of a couple months ago docs still hadn't been certified to prescribe medical marijuana, and you can't even legally grow it for your own use, or smoke it at home. It's a joke.

I think what they don't want out is something to do with something that was done, in the homes, or to the bodies.

Legal marijuana was on the ballot prior to 2016, but it was voted down because of the way Ohio wanted to do it (and I agree, they should have voted it down, it was wrong). It's only been, within the past few months of 2017, that they have even started licensing growers. Also, if you're a prospective patient you're still S.O.L. because as of a couple months ago docs still hadn't been certified to prescribe medical marijuana, and you can't even legally grow it for your own use, or smoke it at home. It's a joke.

The way they were killed undoubtedly is important. In the Ohio SC documents related to the Cinti & Columbus newspaper lawsuits, BCI mentioned several times that much of the redacted information in the autopsy reports was missing because it gave information about the time of death. From that, you might also conclude that the sequence of the murders was also important. They mentioned many times that releasing that information could harm their case. I also still wonder about the toxicology reports.

Does this have something to do with multiple teams of killers who attacked at different times? Were some of the deaths simultaneous or close enough in time, but apart in distance to indicate more than one group of killers? We already know there were different shell casings at the CRSr and KR death scene - so at least 2 shooters there. There's been speculation that another team was already at Frankie & Hanna G's trailer murdering them to ensure Frankie would not hear the gunshots and run to his father's trailer.

Perhaps LE doesn't want the public to know that there were multiple groups of killers that night. It would make things easier if they could pin it on one or two people. If evidence shows there were teams of killers, then they'll have to find out who organized the hits, who paid for it, planned it. Where did everyone rehearse? Those may be questions BCI and others don't want to have to answer.

The court documents have already revealed that the Pike County Coroner concluded from his investigation that no immediate family members were involved in the killings. He explained that was his conclusion when he shared information from the preliminary autopsy report with the families. That's likely information that the AG's office and BCI didn't want released. The coroner's attorney (provided by the AG's office) repeatedly told the Coroner not to answer those questions, but he did anyway.

The investigators don't want the information made public because they don't want to acknowledge or answer for some of the facts of the case. Locking up evidence is damage control, IMO.

Something I was trying to recall about this case the other day: Does anyone recall seeing any photos of FBI or DEA at the crime scenes? They're all usually wearing jackets with idenitifying initials. Does anyone recall even seeing them at the entrance to Union Hill Road? At the warehouse when the trailers were transported for storage?

Other than at a couple of DeWine & Reader's press conferences, does anyone recall photos or video showing FBI or DEA at any of the crime scenes or where search warrants were being carried out?

Wouldn't you think that would be helpful to have the best, most experienced murder evidence experts (FBI) at the crime scene to determine which evidence should be collected, removed, etc. from the homes before sealing them up in a fashion that would inevitably destroy any remaining evidence?

What happens if, at some point in the investigation or (hopefully) trials, the AG & BCI realize they need to return to the trailers for other evidence, only to realize it's been destroyed?

The way they were killed undoubtedly is important. In the Ohio SC documents related to the Cinti & Columbus newspaper lawsuits, BCI mentioned several times that much of the redacted information in the autopsy reports was missing because it gave information about the time of death. From that, you might also conclude that the sequence of the murders was also important. They mentioned many times that releasing that information could harm their case. I also still wonder about the toxicology reports.

Does this have something to do with multiple teams of killers who attacked at different times? Were some of the deaths simultaneous or close enough in time, but apart in distance to indicate more than one group of killers? We already know there were different shell casings at the CRSr and KR death scene - so at least 2 shooters there. There's been speculation that another team was already at Frankie & Hanna G's trailer murdering them to ensure Frankie would not hear the gunshots and run to his father's trailer.

Perhaps LE doesn't want the public to know that there were multiple groups of killers that night. It would make things easier if they could pin it on one or two people. If evidence shows there were teams of killers, then they'll have to find out who organized the hits, who paid for it, planned it. Where did everyone rehearse? Those may be questions BCI and others don't want to have to answer.

The court documents have already revealed that the Pike County Coroner concluded from his investigation that no immediate family members were involved in the killings. He explained that was his conclusion when he shared information from the preliminary autopsy report with the families. That's likely information that the AG's office and BCI didn't want released. The coroner's attorney (provided by the AG's office) repeatedly told the Coroner not to answer those questions, but he did anyway.

The investigators don't want the information made public because they don't want to acknowledge or answer for some of the facts of the case. Locking up evidence is damage control, IMO.

But, and forgive me if I'm wrong, iirc, the coroner redacted on his own. He just picked and chose what he thought should be redacted, if I remember reading that correctly. I thought that he took a little bit too much liberty seeing as how, again, iirc, he said that he was not told what to redact.

Sometimes, when I ponder this case, (still, every single day), I think that Piketon Sheriff's Dept. decided to take the trailers simply because the could, and were displaying a show of force, struttin' their tail feathers in other words. Now, over a year gone by and zip, zilch, nada, nyet, noooothing, do they really want anyone in the trailers if there's truly nothing earth shattering in them for a jury to see? Nothing that they couldn't have done without them doing their jobs in a normal capacity? What in Hades would they have done had the homes been brick and mortar? Then, and I've pretty much trusted Reader throughout this, when they start making a cold case team and we see nepotism start showing up...idk anymore.

Something I was trying to recall about this case the other day: Does anyone recall seeing any photos of FBI or DEA at the crime scenes? They're all usually wearing jackets with idenitifying initials. Does anyone recall even seeing them at the entrance to Union Hill Road? At the warehouse when the trailers were transported for storage?

Other than at a couple of DeWine & Reader's press conferences, does anyone recall photos or video showing FBI or DEA at any of the crime scenes or where search warrants were being carried out?

Wouldn't you think that would be helpful to have the best, most experienced murder evidence experts (FBI) at the crime scene to determine which evidence should be collected, removed, etc. from the homes before sealing them up in a fashion that would inevitably destroy any remaining evidence?

What happens if, at some point in the investigation or (hopefully) trials, the AG & BCI realize they need to return to the trailers for other evidence, only to realize it's been destroyed?
BBM
Only to realize it's been destroyed, or wasn't there to begin with. Blood, tissue, bone, anything DNA they could have gotten that very Friday morning in April. With today's technology there was zero reason, jmo, for them to take those trailers. What judge is going to send a jury through them?! I realize that not everything will be a disgusting, horrific, sight, however, CR1 and GR's trailer? No one wants to go through that from just listening to BJM's description. It sounds like a bloodbath. The other trailers were confined mostly to beds and bedrooms. Still, I'd recuse myself from the jury at the point that they wanted me to enter four, sealed, dna, filled, and Lord only knows if there's black mold, or some other spores in those trailers. I don't think the trailers have ever been breached (as the newspaper alluded that they could have been) because who would want to breach them? No sane person.

But, and forgive me if I'm wrong, iirc, the coroner redacted on his own. He just picked and chose what he thought should be redacted, if I remember reading that correctly. I thought that he took a little bit too much liberty seeing as how, again, iirc, he said that he was not told what to redact.

Sometimes, when I ponder this case, (still, every single day), I think that Piketon Sheriff's Dept. decided to take the trailers simply because the could, and were displaying a show of force, struttin' their tail feathers in other words. Now, over a year gone by and zip, zilch, nada, nyet, noooothing, do they really want anyone in the trailers if there's truly nothing earth shattering in them for a jury to see? Nothing that they couldn't have done without them doing their jobs in a normal capacity? What in Hades would they have done had the homes been brick and mortar? Then, and I've pretty much trusted Reader throughout this, when they start making a cold case team and we see nepotism start showing up...idk anymore.

The Pike County Coroner was clear in his testimony that the redactions to the autopsy reports were done by BCI and the AG's office. He signed off on them, but did as he was told and accepted them at face value.

Again, his attorney advised him against commenting on that, but he did anyway. IIRC, this came out in the depositions in the Columbus Dispatch case. The Dispatch had a very good attorney who really applied the pressure and got the coroner to answer these questions.

I was just going back through recent news articles about the Rhoden murders (there's not much to find) and came across this item from Sept. 5 Dayton Daily News

Strict rules in Ohio program deny payouts to thousands of victims
Investigation: Fewer victims are getting compensated even as the number of claims spikes.

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/ne...uts-thousands-victims/olFUcLs7L6kapC4SsagvCN/

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/ne...sed-our-investigation/AZmghbDfoSqXIje901VqvL/

When the surviving Rhoden family members had such a difficult time getting reimbursed for funeral expenses from the Ohio Victims Compensation Fund, investigative reporters began looking into the state agency.

It seems AG DeWine stonewalled for a year their requests for information about the crime victim's compensation fund. They were able to finally get enough information to show the fund has likely been mismanaged.

The program has been around for decades and is funded through drivers license reinstatement fees and court costs paid by people accused of crimes. Last year, the fund collected $16.6 million in revenue and ended the year with a balance of $17.3 million after paying out $6.8 million in victim compensation payments and spending $5.9 million on administrative costs, mostly for staff salaries. The office also used the fund to cover the cost of $3 million in rape kits.

Elizabeth Well, legal director of the Ohio Crime Victim Justice Center, said the program’s restrictions can undermine one of its goals, which is to encourage victims to report crimes.

Program rules disqualify people with drugs in their system, even if the drugs had nothing to do with the crime or were taken days prior.

The program also disqualifies people believed to have committed certain felony crimes in the previous 10 years, regardless of whether they were charged or acquitted.

What does this say about AG DeWine that he stalled for a year giving information to reporters that is required by law? The whole thing seems very petty and controlling. JMO, it demonstrates that DeWine still believes in hiding information from the public if he thinks it will make him or others in LE look bad.

Here's an editorial from the Columbus Dispatch on Sept 17 about the Ohio Supreme Court stonewalling the newspaper's court case to obtain the unredacted Rhoden massacre autopsy reports from the Pike County Coroner's office. They're not giving up and plan to keep pushing until the Ohio Supreme Court makes a ruling.

Editorial: Public records remain off-limits

http://www.dispatch.com/opinion/20170917/editorial-public-records-remain-off-limits

Concealing public records that could shed light on the circumstances of the crime — and perhaps even lead to solving the crime, should someone recognize a key detail — is cruel to the family and community. They are left to imagine their worst nightmares about how their neighbors and loved ones died. Give them the dignity of the truth.

But it also is a slap at Ohioans. Public officials are playing games with public records. Those responsible for upholding the law don’t get to pick and choose which laws to follow.

The Dispatch’s lawsuit has yet to reach resolution, but the court of public opinion moves more swiftly. Attorney General Mike DeWine, who is fighting to withhold the reports, is on political quicksand. This information belongs to the public.

Good for them!

I have wondered a long time if some sort of message was left in the homes that LE does not want the public to know. That would be a reason they have kept the crime scenes such a secret. The same could be for the bodied being marked or defiled a certain way to leave a message...

On the marijuana legalization, there are WAY to many unanswered questions to go ahead with that. Can you smoke it and drive, if not how do they decide the limit and test for it? Can you use it and keep your job if you fail a drug test wile legally using medical marijuana? I don't see how they can prescribe it until that stuff is answered.

The Pike County Coroner was clear in his testimony that the redactions to the autopsy reports were done by BCI and the AG's office. He signed off on them, but did as he was told and accepted them at face value.

Again, his attorney advised him against commenting on that, but he did anyway. IIRC, this came out in the depositions in the Columbus Dispatch case. The Dispatch had a very good attorney who really applied the pressure and got the coroner to answer these questions.

I'm going to have to go back and re-read that because my memory has failed me. I remember something completely different from him. I do remember him answering questions even though counsel advised him not to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove