OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Retribution for what?
It could be anything. I made the trip back to Perry county Kentucky for Thanksgiving and asked someone who lives the same life lifestyle in the past. He agreed with you all. He said money and drugs. That it had to be more than one killer and the killers were known. He asked about toxicology reports saying generally what is in the system is what's being sold or transported. Even if it's only one person doing the drugs. KR was only shot once in the head if he would have been left alive he would have known who the shooters were for sure. How would he have handled it? Would he have told the cops or gone after them? The next question asked: did they live above their means?

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

It could be anything. I made the trip back to Perry county Kentucky for Thanksgiving and asked someone who lives the same life lifestyle in the past. He agreed with you all. He said money and drugs. That it had to be more than one killer and the killers were known. He asked about toxicology reports saying generally what is in the system is what's being sold or transported. Even if it's only one person doing the drugs. KR was only shot once in the head if he would have been left alive he would have known who the shooters were for sure. How would he have handled it? Would he have told the cops or gone after them? The next question asked: did they live above their means?

Very good points made here! Ohio/Kentucky, sort of hand in hand, with the drugs, corrupt LE, he said/she said, what would the youngest have told... if left alive?

I am from a very small county in Kentucky...... people joke about "the bodies are never found" there. Honestly, that's the truth!

I am just now catching this case, trying to catch up. From what I've read thus far, it reminds me of exactly where I grew up, with the exception..... the bodies are never found.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

What if we look at this a different way. What if this wasn't about drugs but a family thing? It's been said that this couldn't be backwoods justice but, I'm here to tell you that it could be retribution. Intelligence is not passed out by the spot you hold on a map and, you can't assure silence like this unless unless you're protecting each other. We know by history that even the mexican mafia has leaks. People talk and turn on each other when push comes to shove. If this is a another family coming together to kill they will not turn on one another. They moved together as one and they will protect each other. Thats my thoughts on this whole thing. My thoughts are just my own and I look forward to reading what you all thunk about it.

I agree. I sound like a parrot, but from day one, my family said it was family vs. family (inner-family, or in-laws, that they had done something to, that was perceived as unforgivable). Folks who aren't kin, tend not to mess in other folk's business. The tough thing with this case, is, that the minute that DeWine said they found pot grows, it especially made folks stay out of the Rs and Ms business.

Very good points made here! Ohio/Kentucky, sort of hand in hand, with the drugs, corrupt LE, he said/she said, what would the youngest have told... if left alive?

I am from a very small county in Kentucky...... people joke about "the bodies are never found" there. Honestly, that's the truth!

I am just now catching this case, trying to catch up. From what I've read thus far, it reminds me of exactly where I grew up, with the exception..... the bodies are never found.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Same. It's true though. One other thing that was tossed around was that this family had done someone so dirty that it was just unforgivable (family or not). The person(s) couldn't get it out of their head. They stewed on it and planned it in their head, until something else happened to put into play. I think this could have been brewing, and the Rs and HHG, never knew the person(s) were capable of this. They were caught completely off guard.

Interesting, it says the daughter was charged with credit card misuse, implying she had been using the missing woman's credit card. If so, why wasn't that reported by the credit card company sooner? The woman has been missing for over a year. Probably safe to assume if the daughter was using the credit card, she wasn't paying the bill when it came.

I'm also adding this link here for perusal. It's a link to campaign finance reports for the local legislators in the Piketon area.

https://www.followthemoney.org/tools/mydistrict/?mode=page&address=Piketon,+Ohio

Rep. Cliff Rosenberger, who represents the Piketon area is the Speaker of the Ohio House of Representatives. He's the one who arranged state grant funding for Hasdell Chemical where the Rhoden trailers were stored before Hasedell went bankrupt. He raised over $1 million for his last campaign, quite a large amount for an incumbent running for re-election in such a rural area.

Quite a few of the large donors are affiliated with health care and nursing home industries, both of whom contribute large amounts to these state races in Ohio.

Same. It's true though. One other thing that was tossed around was that this family had done someone so dirty that it was just unforgivable (family or not). The person(s) couldn't get it out of their head. They stewed on it and planned it in their head, until something else happened to put into play. I think this could have been brewing, and the Rs and HHG, never knew the person(s) were capable of this. They were caught completely off guard.

That's usually the kind of crime only one person would commit. Its difficult to get a group of others to go along with planning and executing a more detailed massacre of 8 family members in 4 locations. Rhodens just didn't have the power or money to generate that kind of ill will with so many people, not enough to risk getting killed or sent to prison for life.

Rhodens may have angered someone who wanted personal revenge, but they probably were also a threat to others in a powerful criminal enterprise that had a great deal to lose (like people involved in drug trafficking and/or other criminal ring) The mass killing was to eliminate a threat and send a very powerful message to others "in the know" to cease operations or keep their mouths shut. That message could have applied to anyone in southern Ohio and KY, too.

The smart thing for LE to do would have been to offer protection to those locals who they thought might know the killers. LE made a deliberate, very public choice to NOT protect those witnesses who could have helped them. JMO, that means LE didn't want witnesses to talk, with some members LE possibly involved in the massacre themselves.

One scenario (among many) I've considered is a variation on the theme of competition between warring criminal factions in the region. Is it possible that a criminal enterprise that had cooperation or participation from local LE was trying to eliminate competition from another gang that wasn't linked to LE?

Those are interesting observations and likely accurate. It would explain why LE has redacted all information from tox reports in the final autopsy reports.

As for your last question, none of the family members appeared to be living beyond their means. Living in run down trailers and campers, driving older cars they fixed up themselves. All the adults worked full time, though low paying jobs.

Those are interesting observations and likely accurate. It would explain why LE has redacted all information from tox reports in the final autopsy reports.

As for your last question, none of the family members appeared to be living beyond their means. Living in run down trailers and campers, driving older cars they fixed up themselves. All the adults worked full time, though low paying jobs.

The only family members who did not receive assistance with burial, from the state, were CR1, GR, and KR. Someone requested and was denied funds re; CR1's death (iirc it was his bil), GR's family is in Ky. so I doubt they applied, and, with the tray of plants being seen at KR's outbuilding, I doubt his family applied. I had also read that CR1, and KR, did not partake in their product. GR? I'm not so sure about him. It would be hard for him to be around drugs and alcohol, and not use, just based on my experiences with addicts/alcoholics. The teen mentioned in Slate, who said he'd tell them all about the Rs and the younger ones using pills and such, was trying to get a free pack of smokes out of the deal so I took that with a grain of salt. I've looked at all of their pictures and, honestly, none of them scream, "dope heads", to me. I'd not doubt the kids maybe smoked a lil weed here and there but I just don't see hard drug use. HMR's photos looked sad, a lot of the times, but, she had a lot on her plate for such a young girl. GR, doesn't have many out there so I can't say about him, really. My point, being, is that they couldn't have gotten assistance if drug use was at the other homes and it tied in with CR1's grow op. KR was an uncle but CR1 was right there, the father, living on the same property as FR, and just bought the property that DR, and his other two children, lived in.

Questions re; eligibilty: http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/victimscompensation

That's usually the kind of crime only one person would commit. Its difficult to get a group of others to go along with planning and executing a more detailed massacre of 8 family members in 4 locations. Rhodens just didn't have the power or money to generate that kind of ill will with so many people, not enough to risk getting killed or sent to prison for life.

Rhodens may have angered someone who wanted personal revenge, but they probably were also a threat to others in a powerful criminal enterprise that had a great deal to lose (like people involved in drug trafficking and/or other criminal ring) The mass killing was to eliminate a threat and send a very powerful message to others "in the know" to cease operations or keep their mouths shut. That message could have applied to anyone in southern Ohio and KY, too.

The smart thing for LE to do would have been to offer protection to those locals who they thought might know the killers. LE made a deliberate, very public choice to NOT protect those witnesses who could have helped them. JMO, that means LE didn't want witnesses to talk, with some members LE possibly involved in the massacre themselves.

One scenario (among many) I've considered is a variation on the theme of competition between warring criminal factions in the region. Is it possible that a criminal enterprise that had cooperation or participation from local LE was trying to eliminate competition from another gang that wasn't linked to LE?

This sounds very possible.... Someone sure would not want competition if they were protected or had participation from LE....

This sounds very possible.... Someone sure would not want competition if they were protected or had participation from LE....

IMO, CRSr and KR don't sound like the kind of guys who would want LE involved in their grow op business. They strike me as being very independent, managing their own affairs with family. They knew how to steer clear of the law and keep things under wraps.

Also recall how there were so many nuisance tickets that J Manley received. It looked as though LE was pulling him over regularly for the "no seat belt" and "busted tail light" type of offenses. Could have been harassment or pressure if he was also involved in the grow op.

Dewine back in the news for politics. Maybe he should take some time off politicking to get this case solved....

http://wdtn.com/2017/11/30/dewine-husted-to-join-governor-campaigns-in-ohio/

The lack of any progress at all in the Rhoden Massacre investigation is going to hurt DeWine in his race. It's hard to run on your record as AG with a failed investigation on such a huge case. By the time the campaigns heat up, it will be 2 years with no suspects, no arrests, no news. He'll not be able to run on the issue of drug problems in Ohio.

Remember when he announced he was running for governor just a couple of weeks after the murders? Wow.

Large Ohio medical marijuana grow licenses awarded

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/inde...edical_marijuana_g.html#incart_river_home_pop

No surprise that these are big influential businessmen, some who are friends and former employees of the governor.

Recall, the legislation to allow the cultivation, sale and use of medical marijuana was rushed through the Ohio General Assembly and signed by the governor shortly after the Rhoden murders.

Members of and advisers to the winning companies include Cleveland businessman Andy Rayburn (Buckeye Relief), Columbus developer Bill Schottenstein (Pure Ohio Wellness), Gov. John Kasich's former spokesman Chris Schrimpf (Cresco Labs) and investors in Ohio's 2015 failed marijuana legalization campaign Chris Stock and Brian Kessler (Riviera Creek Holdings), according to records released by the commerce department.

The businesses awarded the licenses are:

Buckeye Relief LLC in Eastlake (179.28 points)
Grow Ohio Pharmaceuticals LLC in Newton Township (173.44 points)
OPC Cultivation LLC in Huron (173.28 points)
Riviera Creek Holdings LLC in Youngstown (172.72 points)
Pure Ohio Wellness LLC in Springfield (167.64 points)
Columbia Care OH LLC in Mt. Orab (167.08 points)
Terradiol Ohio LLC in Canton (165.48 points)
Standard Wellness Company LLC in Gibsonburg (161.28 points)
AT-CPC of Ohio LLC in Akron (161.28 points)
Cresco Labs Ohio LLC in Yellow Springs (159.80 points)
Parma Wellness Center LLC in Parma (153.08 points)
Harvest Grows LLC in Hamilton Township or Cleveland (142.04 points)

The lack of any progress at all in the Rhoden Massacre investigation is going to hurt DeWine in his race. It's hard to run on your record as AG with a failed investigation on such a huge case. By the time the campaigns heat up, it will be 2 years with no suspects, no arrests, no news. He'll not be able to run on the issue of drug problems in Ohio.

Remember when he announced he was running for governor just a couple of weeks after the murders? Wow.

Every time I see a news article about him I reply with a remark about this case. I ask why it is such a big secret that the public can't know anything. Or, I ask if this case will be solved soon since he is in charge of solving it? I never miss an opportunity to give him a jab...
E

Just checking the application just approved for growing medical MJ in Mt. Orab, Brown County. It looks like they plan to locate the facility at 223 Homan Way, Mt Orab, OH. The company, Columbia Care, is headquartered in NYC, is run by a bunch of investment bankers, the CEO is a former VP from Goldman Sachs.

https://www.medicalmarijuana.ohio.g...mbia Care OH LLC (Mt. Orab, Brown County).pdf

Might be worth checking into some of these new companies that have been approved for Ohio's medical marijuana business.

It will be next door to this business. Interesting.

http://www.hmdefense.com/index.html

They have signed a 10 yr lease with the owner of the property - Auto Fastener Group in Cold Spring, KY

http://autofastenergroup.com/exs.html

Odd, there is no Holman Rd or anything similar in Cold Spring, KY. The only address that shows for the Auto Fasterner Group of Cold Spring, KY is a private residence in Alabama. Strange.

The son of the original owner of Auto Fastener Group (owner of property where new Mt Orab med MJ grow op will be located is Walter "Chip" Homan, who is now CEO of a different auto parts company called Auveco Products, located at 100 Homan Way, Cold Springs, KY is also on the board of directors of the new Columbia Care Ohio division. Apparently the family has become very wealthy in the auto parts business. Looks like his son is also on the board of directors.

https://www.auveco.com/

Auto parts. Ain't that interesting.

Walter Homan's data on political contributions to Ohio politicians. There are various entries due to differing spellings of his name.

https://www.followthemoney.org/search-results/SearchForm?Search=walter+homan

Just curious to see how these things work when it comes to Ohio government granting permits for MJ grow ops.

Here is the obit of the family patriarch who started the auto parts business way back in the day. Frank Homan was a very wealthy man, donated some money, was big in local society.

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/cincinnati/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=166941610

I wonder if the Homans were friends with the elder Wagner family. IIRC, grandmother Wagner was originally from Cincinnati. I wonder if the Homans are involved in the thoroughbred horse business? Probably no connection, but just curious.

BBM - I agree.

If they walked all over more than one member, or a beloved member, of the same family, then there'd be more than one who'd come after them.

I just do not see the Rs as a threat to any big drug lord, based on what we have to go on. All we have to go on, is that they had a couple of grows, with, at most, a couple hundred plants (we've no proof of even that many). Between CR1, and KR, that would be a possible gross of $39k if they sold by the pound, and, if it was pretty decent weed. Add a possible cut for GR for helping with labor, (approx 1 hour per day or or so for every 4-6 plants), no plant loss due to insects, mold, etc..., and other overhead such as electricity, nutrients, water, for example, and you've whittled that down a bit. Weed becoming legal would even lessen their income. Weed prices in legal states are dropping like rocks. Weed, in shops, in CO, are as cheap, or cheaper, than weed in illegal states, so you know that the growers, like the Rs, are taking a hit. (Like bootleggers here. My friend was a bootlegger (may he r.i.p.). He lost a pretty good bit of side income when the city went wet. I think he still had some late night Sat., and Sunday, customers but that was about it.) If the Rs were a threat to any big drug lord, they'd have likely just cut the head(s) off the snake, and in such a way that the others knew to keep their mouths shut, and close up shop.

If LE was mixed in somehow and thought they may be exposed, it's possible they may have taken it upon themselves, to eradicate any threat that could come back to bite them. Self-preservation.

I think it is something else though. I've considered that they (CR1 and maybe KR or GR) may have been blackmailing someone, and they didn't realize the individual(s) had the capacity to hit back with such deadly force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
noizewarr