OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) - #30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mike DeWine talks about drug crisis on Lancaster campaign stop

http://www.lancastereaglegazette.co...rug-crisis-lancaster-campaign-stop/867109001/

I came across this recent article from Nov 15. It has some interesting remarks from DeWine pertaining to the Rhoden family murder case. Taken in context, it gives us some information about the status of their investigation.

BBM

The bolded text in DeWine's quote above tells us that they don't have enough evidence to go to a grand jury for any indictments.

If you'll recall with all the brouhaha last summer over the arrest and charging of JM for tampering with evidence (removing and destroying the tracking device on his truck), the charges against him were dropped and his case was referred to the Pike County Grand Jury. Once that happened, of course, all information about the case and his testimony became secret.

It's now six months later and DeWine is saying there's no evidence yet to justify calling a Grand Jury in the case. Since the murders took place in Pike County, any Grand Jury called to review the case and bring charges would have to be in Pike County.

JMO, that means:

the Pike County Grand Jury is no longer meeting to review JM's case from last summer

Since DeWine said there's no evidence to justify bringing the case to a GJ, that indicates nothing came of JM's grand jury testimony, nor of anyone else they may have called in relation to JM's charges last summer. The arrest and GJ over JM and his alleged visit to JW was a nothing burger.

Does this also mean any GJ convened to deal with the subsequent drug busts of people near the Wagner family farm also yielded no results? Same for the search warrants issued at the homes of the Wagner family, Flying W farms and the trucker friend of JW. Did those also yield similar results? Did the W family get an early "tip" that allowed them to clean up the farm and head for AK so they wouldn't be called before one of prosecutor Junk's GJ's?

What do you think? From DeWine's statement, none of the investigation activities so far has led to enough evidence to put forth in front of a Grand Jury to name suspects.

Most telling part of DeWine's statement: "We're not ready to say that's going to take place." Is he hedging his remarks by saying it's possible they may never have enough evidence to bring charges against anyone?

I'd be surprised, if they got much out of JM, during his grand jury hearing. Most all of us agreed, iirc,that getting a tracker to track the whereabouts of the truck, was pushin' the envelope. The only thing they had on JM was removing and destroying govt. property. He actually kinda embarrassed them. I wonder if it was only the truck's whereabouts, that it took JM, that they were wondering about? Reckon they'd already had one, on another vehicle, and it hadn't been discovered?

"We continue to investigate this case and I continue to get reports," he said. "I think we will eventually be able to have enough evidence to go to a grand jury and get an indictment. But we're not ready to announce that today and we're not ready to say that that's going to take place."

I'm a little leery of Dewine, but, I kinda took him to mean he might just have some evidence, and he believes that he'll eventually have enough to take it to the grand jury. I think what he might have been saying to the reporters, is, that he's just not at a point that he can present it to the Grand Jury yet, so he's not giving reporters anything, nor is he going to put a time frame on how close they may be to submitting a case to the grand jury. He did go on to say that the case is top priority. It's entirely possible that he's just blowin' smoke, too.

Hope that all makes sense.

I am one of those parents guilty of giving my son a car on his 16 birthday. A new Camaro that had 9 miles on it when my son took possession of it. A little over a week later it ended up totaled out in a deep ditch just outside of town with less than 200 miles on the odometer. By the grace of God my son and the other four kids in the car with him escaped with only minor scratches.

My sister gave her daughter a new Mustang the day she got her learners permit at 15 1/2 years old with the provision that my niece only drive the car to school with her licensed 16 year old friend in the front seat. Two months later my niece ran a red light and broadsided a car, totaling out both cars. Again by the grace of God no one in either car was injured seriously. And you guessed it, my niece was alone in the car, no licensed driver in the front seat, leaving my sister open to a lawsuit, which she settled out of court. The Mustang had about 600 miles on it.

When my older grandsons turned 16 I strongly advised my son to wait to give them a pre-owned car until they graduated high school. This is what he did and both boys still have the cars they were given for graduation.

Just goes to show, you live and you learn and sometimes being generous to your kids don't work out the way you think it will.

O/T Thank goodness neither child was hurt! Sports cars can get away from you. Very tempting to blow them out on a straight stretch, too! :happydance: I have helped mine with purchasing a used car, and helped with tires, or brakes, etc... One of mine went airborne and landed in a tree, and the same one nearly killed me, sideswiping a light pole, on my side, while I was letting her practice. I didn't figure that one would ever get their license, but, has turned out to be a pretty decent driver.

I'd be surprised, if they got much out of JM, during his grand jury hearing. Most all of us agreed, iirc,that getting a tracker to track the whereabouts of the truck, was pushin' the envelope. The only thing they had on JM was removing and destroying govt. property. He actually kinda embarrassed them. I wonder if it was only the truck's whereabouts, that it took JM, that they were wondering about? Reckon they'd already had one, on another vehicle, and it hadn't been discovered?

I'm a little leery of Dewine, but, I kinda took him to mean he might just have some evidence, and he believes that he'll eventually have enough to take it to the grand jury. I think what he might have been saying to the reporters, is, that he's just not at a point that he can present it to the Grand Jury yet, so he's not giving reporters anything, nor is he going to put a time frame on how close they may be to submitting a case to the grand jury. He did go on to say that the case is top priority. It's entirely possible that he's just blowin' smoke, too.

He IS a politician and not LE. He is a professional "smoke blower". But then LE is allowed to lie about cases and info even in interrogations...

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I just don't detect any real passion or commitment to catch these killers, never have. There's been a little high talk here and there, rare times of playing for sympathy for the family to the public, but none of it strikes me as sincere. JMO, but political considerations and damage control seem a higher priority than finding the killers of a family of 8 people.

If ever a case cries out for new, fresh leadership, this one does. A skilled, committed investigator could really make a difference here. The mass killing of 8 people at 4 different crime scenes has left evidence to work with. We just need the right people to take the case and move it towards resolution.

ETA: It's also good to see people out there on the campaign trail asking DeWine and others what they're doing about the Rhoden family murders. We have to keep this case in front of them and the news media if it's ever going to be solved.

He IS a politician and not LE. He is a professional "smoke blower". But then LE is allowed to lie about cases and info even in interrogations...

Exactly. They can both tell us what they want and when they want. I think the position of AG is considered to be head of LE, BCI, and all, in the state of Ohio, aren't they? He doesn't have to have a history in LE to be AG though, am I right? Do AGs do different things in different states? I live in Ky and have never heard of our Atty. General getting involved in a high profile crime, or any crime, for that matter. Our AG's website looks a little different too. It's early so I may just not be looking at the two sites very clearly, and I could just not remember Beshear jumping into a case.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law-Enforcement

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. I just don't detect any real passion or commitment to catch these killers, never have. There's been a little high talk here and there, rare times of playing for sympathy for the family to the public, but none of it strikes me as sincere. JMO, but political considerations and damage control seem a higher priority than finding the killers of a family of 8 people.

If ever a case cries out for new, fresh leadership, this one does. A skilled, committed investigator could really make a difference here. The mass killing of 8 people at 4 different crime scenes has left evidence to work with. We just need the right people to take the case and move it towards resolution.

ETA: It's also good to see people out there on the campaign trail asking DeWine and others what they're doing about the Rhoden family murders. We have to keep this case in front of them and the news media if it's ever going to be solved.

I'm jaded enough that I may not be so sure that he's desperately trying to solve it "for the family", but he might be trying to do so for the election... Either way, if it nailed the assailants, I'll take it, but it won't make me less leery of politicians, and I'll still have a firm dislike for dirty LEOs.

Exactly. They can both tell us what they want and when they want. I think the position of AG is considered to be head of LE, BCI, and all, in the state of Ohio, aren't they? He doesn't have to have a history in LE to be AG though, am I right? Do AGs do different things in different states? I live in Ky and have never heard of our Atty. General getting involved in a high profile crime, or any crime, for that matter. Our AG's website looks a little different too. It's early so I may just not be looking at the two sites very clearly, and I could just not remember Beshear jumping into a case.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law-Enforcement

The attorney general has three primary duties:

• responsible for legal business of Ohio state government and its departments, boards and agencies and for the collection of debts owed to the state
  • enforcement authority in consumer protection, charitable solicitation, antitrust actions and organized crime
  • coordinate with local law enforcement agencies at their request and provide criminal justice support services[SUP][3][/SUP]

Apparently no experience in Law enforcement or anything else is required..
No person shall be elected or appointed to any office in this state unless possessed of the qualifications of an elector.[SUP][3][/SUP]

• resident of Ohio
  • a qualified elector
  • at least 18 years old

https://ballotpedia.org/Attorney_General_of_Ohio#cite_ref-constitution_3-0 [h=2][/h]

The attorney general has three primary duties:

• responsible for legal business of Ohio state government and its departments, boards and agencies and for the collection of debts owed to the state
  • enforcement authority in consumer protection, charitable solicitation, antitrust actions and organized crime
  • coordinate with local law enforcement agencies at their request and provide criminal justice support services[SUP][3][/SUP]

Apparently no experience in Law enforcement or anything else is required..
No person shall be elected or appointed to any office in this state unless possessed of the qualifications of an elector.[SUP][3][/SUP]

• resident of Ohio
  • a qualified elector
  • at least 18 years old

https://ballotpedia.org/Attorney_General_of_Ohio#cite_ref-constitution_3-0

Just checked out Ky. I guess it varies between states. I truly do not remember ours ever being publicly involved in the same way that Dewine has been.

The attorney general is the chief law officer, chief law enforcement officer and legal adviser for the Commonwealth of Kentucky. ... He also represents the state of Kentucky or its officials and agencies in litigation.

The Kentucky Constitution requires that the attorney general be at least 30 years old, a resident of Kentucky for two years before election, and must have practiced law for eight years.

https://ballotpedia.org/Attorney_General_of_Kentucky

This is interesting. The BCI web site does not list anyone named Rhoden in their unsolved homicides list or open investigations list. Using Piketon as the search, two people come up but no one in this case.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law-Enforcement/Local-Law-Enforcement/Cold-Case/All-Cold-Cases

This might be a good thing.

BCI defines an unsolved homicide as a homicide or questionable death that remains unsolved after being reported to law enforcement and for which there are no apparent viable leads.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Law-Enforcement/Local-Law-Enforcement/Cold-Case

So they may have some viable leads, but we'd never know.

I'm back again. I was just thinking about that tracker that was put on JM's truck, again... We only know about it because JM accidentally found it, and took it off. I really do wonder if there have been other trackers put on other vehicles, before, or after, the one that was placed on JM's truck, and those vehicle's owners just didn't find those trackers, so they got installed, and removed, without incident. :thinking: They may have only placed one on JM, though. As OP stated, JM has been focused on, more-so than anyone else, with the exception of BJM, from the git-go. Day one, they were all over his truck and impounded it. Did he get it back, or is that the reason he had to buy the truck that they put the gps on? I can't remember. Also, does anyone remember, if there was ever a statement made, that BJM was cleared? Was there ever a statement listing any folks who were cleared? I don't remember seeing one.

The investigation seems a little one-sided. With JW's conflicting stories about when he picked up S and the ongoing custody battle, LE should have searched the W property immediately after the murders to look for weapons or any other evidence of the crime (bloody clothing, etc.). Instead, they waited for over a year to search cell phones and even then, we're not sure if they searched JW's phone, only the phones of the Manleys.

Again, when they found evidence of text messages on JM's phone, they put a tracking device on his car, not on JW's. When things heated up, they called JM into a Grand Jury, not JW. Apparently, the GJ for JM was fruitless, no evidence found of any association with the murders. It seems like a waste of time.

LE had enough justification to get a search warrant for the W properties after they left town, why didn't they search them before? Why did they wait for over a year? It doesn't make sense. What are prosecutor Junk and the BCI trying to do?

BBM

I think that search on the W's properties served two purposes.

First: As long as the W's stayed close. LE could afford to take their time to gather evidence. But when they knew the W's were selling off assets and getting ready to move, they had to schedule a fast search for any evidence they could find. But IMO any evidence (weapons, bloody clothing ect) was disposed of the night of the murders or shortly there after. While reporters were climbing all over JW the day after the murders, we have no way of knowing where his brother GW or his parents were. They could have been very possibly making the relatively short drive to the Ohio river to dispose of evidence. Or digging a deep hole somewhere.

Second: Those very public raids with media in tow, served to alert the public that the W's were moving and where they were moving to. Otherwise the good people in the Kenai and indeed all of Alaska might never have known who was moving in next door to them. But because of the media blitz the people in AK knew exactly where the W's were and in my opinion will make it an entertaining past time to keep a close eye on them. After all there isn't much else to do during those six months of darkness except gossip and indulge in your curious nature. The residents of AK are a unique people who like to be in the know and there is no way the W's can live there without interacting with the other residents of the area. I have a feeling that if the Ohio LE wants to arrest any of the W's they have only to call the LE in AK who without a doubt know exactly where the W's are at all times due to that uniquely curious nature of the residents there.

Then you have those pictures released of the W's asking for anyone who had any dealings with them in regards to any guns ammo ect. That literally put their faces out there so that no one in the USA or Canada would have any doubt as to who they were and what they looked like.

IMO it made it extremely hard for the W's to hide or disappear. It could be the only truly smart move that DeWine has made in this murder case.

I'm back again. I was just thinking about that tracker that was put on JM's truck, again... We only know about it because JM accidentally found it, and took it off. I really do wonder if there have been other trackers put on other vehicles, before, or after, the one that was placed on JM's truck, and those vehicle's owners just didn't find those trackers, so they got installed, and removed, without incident. :thinking: They may have only placed one on JM, though. As OP stated, JM has been focused on, more-so than anyone else, with the exception of BJM, from the git-go. Day one, they were all over his truck and impounded it. Did he get it back, or is that the reason he had to buy the truck that they put the gps on? I can't remember. Also, does anyone remember, if there was ever a statement made, that BJM was cleared? Was there ever a statement listing any folks who were cleared? I don't remember seeing one.

There has never been any statement naming any POI's or suspects, but on the other hand there has never been any statement that anyone has been cleared in this crime, including any LE or even Reader himself. So I think we can safely assume that everyone in the area, including LE still remain under suspicion.

They only thing we have seen as far as POI's or suspects is that "laser focus" which to me was paramount to DeWine declaring that the W's with the help or JM or AM or both, killed the R's but they don't have enough evidence to prove it.

I think at this point all we and LE can hope for is a falling out among family members that might lead one of them to rat the others out. It's a long shot, but it does happen.

There has never been any statement naming any POI's or suspects, but on the other hand there has never been any statement that anyone has been cleared in this crime, including any LE or even Reader himself. So I think we can safely assume that everyone in the area, including LE still remain under suspicion.

They only thing we have seen as far as POI's or suspects is that "laser focus" which to me was paramount to DeWine declaring that the W's with the help or JM or AM or both, killed the R's but they don't have enough evidence to prove it.

I think at this point all we and LE can hope for is a falling out among family members that might lead one of them to rat the others out. It's a long shot, but it does happen.

Other than LM and BJM saying she passed lie detector tests, no one has been cleared by LE so far. Everyone is still a suspect apparently...

BBM

I think that search on the W's properties served two purposes.

First: As long as the W's stayed close. LE could afford to take their time to gather evidence. But when they knew the W's were selling off assets and getting ready to move, they had to schedule a fast search for any evidence they could find. But IMO any evidence (weapons, bloody clothing ect) was disposed of the night of the murders or shortly there after. While reporters were climbing all over JW the day after the murders, we have no way of knowing where his brother GW or his parents were. They could have been very possibly making the relatively short drive to the Ohio river to dispose of evidence. Or digging a deep hole somewhere.

Second: Those very public raids with media in tow, served to alert the public that the W's were moving and where they were moving to. Otherwise the good people in the Kenai and indeed all of Alaska might never have known who was moving in next door to them. But because of the media blitz the people in AK knew exactly where the W's were and in my opinion will make it an entertaining past time to keep a close eye on them. After all there isn't much else to do during those six months of darkness except gossip and indulge in your curious nature. The residents of AK are a unique people who like to be in the know and there is no way the W's can live there without interacting with the other residents of the area. I have a feeling that if the Ohio LE wants to arrest any of the W's they have only to call the LE in AK who without a doubt know exactly where the W's are at all times due to that uniquely curious nature of the residents there.

Then you have those pictures released of the W's asking for anyone who had any dealings with them in regards to any guns ammo ect. That literally put their faces out there so that no one in the USA or Canada would have any doubt as to who they were and what they looked like.

IMO it made it extremely hard for the W's to hide or disappear. It could be the only truly smart move that DeWine has made in this murder case.
The only thing about the selling off of things, and putting the house up for sale, was that it was public enough, and in advance enough, that LE should have seen that coming. However they are in Adams county and their LE may not have felt it was a big deal. Hometown folks, and all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The only thing about the selling off of things, and putting the house up for sale, was that it was public enough, and in advance enough, that LE should have seen that coming. However they are in Adams county and their LE may not have felt it was a big deal. Hometown folks, and all.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Well, Adams County and neighboring Highland and Scioto counties have a history of corruption, so I've always wondered if that played a role in the failure to investigate the W family.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/abstract.html?res=9805EFD71330E233A25757C2A9649D946196D6CF&legacy=true

http://www.highlandcountypress.com/...guments-in-corrupt-activities-case/2/20/12779

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2011/02/prescription_drug_epidemic_bri.html

That's really no excuse, though, as Ohio BCI is supposed to be in charge of the investigation and could have stepped in to make Adams Co issue search warrants before the W family left town.

Funny, too, how the W family claimed they were only going to AK for a vacation when it was obvious they were moving their entire household.

As for the AG's web site not listing the Rhodens under unsolved murder cases, that doesn't sound proper or professional. JMO, the AG's office either sees it as a political liability or are taking the focus away from the case because they don't think it will be solved (lowering of public expectations). Or both. I still believe they would love to see this case just go away, for the public to forget it ever happened. "Nothing to see here, move along now".

I agree that the elder W's don't seem to be that type, but I think BW and his wife AW were birds of a different color. I think BW may have been sort of the black sheep of the family or even estranged from his parents, just by the fact that grandma and grandpa didn't seem inclined to shell out the money for JW's legal bills in gaining custody of little S. And again it didn't seem to bother BW to run off to AK leaving his seriously ill father behind.

Why why why? Did it cost JW so much to get custody of little S. He was the father, wasn't he on her birth certificate? I mean everyone else family, friends and some of the community all knew he was the father, so why would it be so expensive to get custody of her. This has always bothered me.

You are most welcome! I do remember there was actually a time given in the original statement, but I didn't have any luck in locating it. I have used up a lot of free reads on several of the news sites. Correct me if I was wrong, but I thought it was originally stated that JW picked up Sophie at 10:30 the night of the 21st? That is why I was originally intrigued by the statement by JW. Thought it was an odd time to be picking up a 2-year-old, but probably just me

That's the time I remember also because it was the same time that Chel Rob said see dropped off little B at FR's and HHG's. Same time on both, interesting. I think Chel Rob also mentioned she stayed till 10:30 pm because "someone" she hadn't seen in awhile was at FR's and HHG's that she hadn't seen in awhile. Wonder who that was and were they spending the night or just "visiting" to? Seems the Rhoden's were used to late night socializing.

BBM
Changing pick up time. You are correct amauet1

HMR and JW shared custody of S, who was supposed to be with her mom that fateful Friday evening, he said. But JW picked her up a day earlier than normal: "I reckon we missed it by just hours." (7/29/2016)
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/07/29/rhoden-case-hate-seeing-my-daughter-cry/87645382/

From my own post in Thread 29, post #9:

He picked her up that night at 10:30, a day early.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...lls/ar-AAj4KpB (This link no longer works.)

However, it can be found below, in an October 15, 2015 article, that states: "Correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly reported when HMR's daughter went to stay with her father, JW. HMR dropped her daughter off on Friday, April 15, 2016."
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/news/2016/10/15/pike-county-death-foothills/91496698/

Then, June 8, 2017:

AW, and JW, sent a combined email to the Cincinnati, and JW's part re: S's pick up and drop off, is stated as:
"However the week before the killings, Rhoden dropped Sophia off on Friday, April 15, Wagner said. He was to return the towheaded toddler to her mom the following Friday, which was April 22 – the day the bodies were discovered."

(Emails are convenient because you get to state what you want, no interruptions, and can blow off any questions very easily. It is a very one sided form of communication.)

Something else that I found interesting in the June 8 email to the Cincinnati:

AW:

I've always found her choice of words a bit odd. Devastating to little S's family, yes, and it will be difficult having to tell her about what happened, to her maternal family, in the future, very difficult. But devastating to AW, and family? Not seeing it. Maybe I'm just nitpicking.

Published 4:36 p.m. ET June 8, 2017 | Updated 11:35 a.m. ET June 26, 2017
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/ne...family-targeted-police-raids-talks/377988001/

JW may have needed monies for seeking custody, if they'd never performed a dna test, to determine, legally, that S was his child. Having your name on a birth cert, if you are unmarried, is not enough these days. There is a form that one can fill out, right after the infant is born, at the hospital, but I'd say that many folks don't think to do that. When my grandchild's father died, there was already legal docs proving paternity. However, he and his new s/o had just had a newborn, when he passed. They'd not had paternity established, legally, as the baby was only a few days old. The mother thought that him being on the birth cert was enough. It wasn't. She did not know this, until after the father had been cremated. She had to get dna from both of his bio parents, and my grandchild, in order to legally establish paternity so her child would also be eligible for any monies through the father.

I can't put my hands on it, right now, but I think I remember TR and KR2 mentioning in separate articles that they were okay with the autopsies not being revealed. Personally, it would depend upon what was in the autopsies as to whether I would be okay with them being released. I see them as a final medical document, and, unless it would specifically assist the investigation, I'd likely want them private too.

Hope this isn't too scrambled to make sense.

Thank you rsd, I answered and gave a question to this very thing in another post before I read yours. I still don't understand the amount of money, it supposedly cost JW to get custody of little S. I can't remember ver batem the exact amount, but I think it was around 20,000.00 her was asking for in his go-fund-me posts.

Here's the problem with DNA evidence in any of the homes, of the people and family we know of, their DNA would be in the homes. From visits, etc. Why even JW's would be in Dana's home, because he put the crib together for Kylie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member