UNSOLVED Oh - Pike County: 8 People From One Family Dead As Police Hunt For Killer(s) #33

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
BBM

Now the alternative would be to actually, you know, conduct an honest investigation, not leak information to killers or offer some kind of real protection to witnesses.

Would you please provide me a link that says that Reader is not conducting an honest investigation or any proof you have that he is not?

Would you also provide me a link that says he or any other LE working these murders are leaking information to the killers or any proof you have that they are?

Would you also provide me with the link that the murders of the women in the Gone documentary have any connection to the murders of the R's or any proof you have that they are connected in any way?

What if CR1 was being threatened with HR losing custody of her children unless CR1 cooperated with LE as a snitch? What if someone in LE then leaked that CR1 was going to work as an informant?

Would you please provide me with a link or any proof you have that CR1 was a snitch or that he was threatened with HR losing her children if he did not become one?

All of this is speculation based on your own interpretation of a documentary and I suspect your own life experience with some members of LE.

While you are free, as we all on here are, to have your own theory or theories and you have every right to post those theories, please take a step back and try to be objective about all this. If any of us get tunnel vision on this we are never going to get anywhere.

As an aside, I enjoy reading everyone's posts on here. I come here day after day because I enjoy reading the theories of everyone. I might not agree with them. But I do enjoy them and I do consider the posters on here to be very pleasant acquaintances of mine who come up with some interesting theories.

JMO
I enjoy reading other posts as well but am totally perplexed how someone can be just so focused on their theory being the only one possible.

Like it or not, we must discuss the victims. they are the key to solving this crime. Something in those 8 peoples lives got them killed. We must discuss their family members. They are an important part of solving this crime. What the family says, how they react can sometimes provide that last piece of puzzle that makes the whole picture clear. If a family member acts in a manner that would not be reasonable to other people then we have every right to discuss it because it could be very important.

That is not victim bashing, it is fact.

Everyone is entitled to their own theories and have a right to voice (or post as the case may be) them on here. That is what WS is all about, the very reason for it's existence. If everyone agreed with everyone else on here there would be no reason to post anything else.

JMO
I agree...we have to discuss any unusual behavior. And family members may know something, but live in fear of being killed themselves or protecting a loved one from being killed.

I'd think they would have a satellite phone. Cell would not be reliable imo. If its' like the guys here, they go out to a local place and trade their vehicles for work vehicles. It may just be a lot they rent, idk, but from there, they'll go out to the work site. My friend used to do similar work. It's hard work. If KR didn't show, at his location, the workplace may have even been trying to track him down at other sites, thinking he somehow got moved. The main office probably searched quite a bit, found the guy he rode with, etc... After getting back to whoever called them, it probably struck them, then; What if he stayed home last night? They were also probably functioning in shock. Folks look normal on the outside, when functioning in shock, but on the inside they are just barely hanging on by the tiniest of threads. Losing eight family members at one time is just unimaginable and I could understand if they are still functioning in shock. Also, KR2 said they tried to reach family on their phones, and couldn't get anyone. I took that to mean that they tried to reach others and were having trouble getting them, too.

I think that maybe they may have sensed it, too, but were still holding out for the call from KR, at lunch time.

Like you Raisin, I do think that something is known, by some people, and they don't want to tell. They're afraid, most likely. People will kill you over their family, pride, greed, and/or lust, just to name a few. Family or not. Just look at all the cases that come through here where parents have murdered their children. It speaks for itself.

BBM

I think the point I am getting at here RSD is that we don't know KR. We don't know what kind of personality he had or what kind of temper.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if the reason the family did not try too hard to notify him of his brothers murder, is because they may have suspected he was either the killer or was involved in some way in the killings and had packed up and took off for parts unknown.

Let me say before I get pounded on this that it is pure speculation on my part and I have absolutely zero proof this is what was going on in the minds of family members at the time. I am just wondering if anyone else thinks it is possible.

JMO

If LE found enough to eliminate the Ws as suspects, do you think they would announce it publicly? It seems to me that it would be highly irresponsible to lay such suspicion on a family that internally has been cleared.

If the perps think LE are focusing on the Ws, they may be more relaxed and slip up on being silent. It would not surprise me if LE did this on purpose. LE is allowed to lie for some reason and it is OK...

Somewhat off topic, but anyway, the culture of the Pike County area has been eyeopening for me. I just finished reading Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis which helps explain the mindset that creates premature pregnancies, massive drug use, lack of education, the living off the dole doing odd jobs here and there while pocketing a check from Uncle Sam, etc. It is a good read and I highly recommend it.

Somewhat off topic, but anyway, the culture of the Pike County area has been eyeopening for me. I just finished reading Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis which helps explain the mindset that creates premature pregnancies, massive drug use, lack of education, the living off the dole doing odd jobs here and there while pocketing a check from Uncle Sam, etc. It is a good read and I highly recommend it.
I have read it as well. Very enlightening on the culture of that area.

BBM

I think the point I am getting at here RSD is that we don't know KR. We don't know what kind of personality he had or what kind of temper.

I guess what I am trying to figure out is if the reason the family did not try too hard to notify him of his brothers murder, is because they may have suspected he was either the killer or was involved in some way in the killings and had packed up and took off for parts unknown.

Let me say before I get pounded on this that it is pure speculation on my part and I have absolutely zero proof this is what was going on in the minds of family members at the time. I am just wondering if anyone else thinks it is possible.

JMO

We really do not know how KR and CRsr got along in recent times. There may have been a falling out. Maybe CRsr was uping production and KR thought he was getting put out of business or being cut out of the bigger money money coming in. There just is no knowledge about KR to determine if he could have caused the murders or been involved in passing info to those that were.

I haven't read the article yet. But if I find guns 70 feet down, my first thoughts would be a wench and a powerful magnet. Is there a reason they couldn't have tried that?

A magnet would stick to the well casing if it was steel. If it was in the center of nonmagnetic material to get it down the well, it might pick up the gun, but then the gun would be magnetized by contact and try to stick to the well casing.

A magnet would stick to the well casing if it was steel. If it was in the center of nonmagnetic material to get it down the well, it might pick up the gun, but then the gun would be magnetized by contact and try to stick to the well casing.

Good point. But there were methods to go down and grab them one at a time and retrieve them. More expensive and I don’t believe these guys were exactly rocket scientist when this occurred.

BBM

JMO

I can definitely see that. I wasn't understanding you earlier. I thought you were meaning they were being uncaring, about not looking in on him sooner. KR moved from the yellow house, to a camper, secluded, on a piece of the property. We don't know, exactly, why he moved there either.

After he married, he lived with his spouse til 2007. After the divorce, he then moved to the little yellow house til 2014 (2014 is when a lot of activity started, iirc), he then moved to 1084 Left Fork, and was there til his death.

Had their been a partnership, between he and CR1, and it dissolved? Had too much traffic been going on, and had he he didn't care for that? Was he known to have a temper? Then again, maybe he just wanted to be alone? We just don't know, but, in my one lower on the totem pole theories, he's the key to figuring this all out. Why? Because he doesn't fit.

I've read it too. It's not indicative of everyone in Appalachia but, it does give you a view into the generational poverty, lack of jobs, and the abundance of drugs, that permeate this region.

Alright...let’s start with what we know from articles, overhead footage, arrests, and interviews.

Basics:

A GPS was placed on a red truck registered to AM. The warrant stated it was believed to be used in the commission of a murder-it did not state what murder nor did it give a date of that murder.

What did LE hope to accomplish with that? What were their grounds for the warrant? They knew or had to assume the truck was being driven by a Manley, since that’s who owned it. Now, were they tracking the truck or were they tracking the owner?

LM told us in an interview that there were text messages between JM & JW the night of the murders as well as texts between AM & DR. What did those texts say? Why did LM share that info publicly?

JM’s other truck can be seen on aerial footage that day being searched by LE. LM stated the next day that LE kept JM’s truck.

The W’s home and property they had just sold was searched along with Flying W Farms. What info did LE have to substantiate a warrant for such large scale searches?

The W’s have been named as a laser focus.

Josh Rhoden was arrested not long after the murders for illegal pills and it was stated the arrests came from information uncovered during the murder investigation of his slain family members.

Violet Rhoden is now dead and we still don’t know if that was homicide or suicide but Johnny Kerns has been named as a suspect in her death and was previously named as a suspect in Bernice Hayslip’s death.

Fun fact-Johnny Kerns Uncle was married to Clarence Rhodens sister. Chris, Kenny, Gary, Violet AND Kerns all shared a common Aunt and Uncle. Rita (Rhoden) Kerns (Clarence sister) married Charley Kerns (Johnny’s dads brother)
Obituary for John Henry Kerns at Thompson Funeral Home
Obituary for CLarence Rhoden | Roger W. Davis Funeral Home, West Portsmouth, OH

Candy and Mykal Newsome were shot and murdered in their home, in the early morning hours 3 1/2 months prior to the Rhodens. Johnny Kerns was married and widowed by a Newsome.

View Penny Kerns's Obituary and express your condolences

Then there’s Adam’s Health Solutions.

We also know LE asked for info about the W’s concerning guns, ammo, vehicles, personal and/or business dealings.

Tie all this together and I think we will find the answer. Perhaps it’s time to start from the top.

All of this info can be found on the first page of this thread under the media link.

I think your common denominator here is Johnny Kerns. IMO AND ONLY MY OPINION-Kerns is an informant and he has ties to all and even a close relationship with Violet. I know you’ve looked at his record Betty, but I’d suggest anyone who hasn’t to take a peak at his record on Pike County. The dudes dirty and he walks away from major charges it seems. MOO.
And Violet Rhoden ended up dead, too. I wonder if she was threatened with loss of custody of her son if she didn't snitch to LE. Then someone in LE leaked the info to the killers. Then LE tries to call it a "suicide". That exact scenario has already played out a couple of times in Ross & Scioto counties. It might explain the dispassionate dialogue from the caller who reported Violet's "suicide" to 911 - it was a script they were given for the call.

Anyone want to take a wager that JR is next? I hope not. I do hope this corruption is exposed and rooted out before anyone else "commits suicide" or "overdoses".

ETA: I wonder if Candy Newsome was also threatened with loss of custody of her daughter unless she cooperated with LE, only to find herself ratted out and killed?

UPDATE: Reward in unsolved Scioto County double murder case to be withdrawn soon

Last edited:
Only a theory and something I’ve pondered...as you stated, a lot of activity started in 2014.

Could the FIFTH search warrant that day be for the little yellow house? And did KR vacate that house so that him and CR1 could use the house as one of the grow locations?
I can definitely see that. I wasn't understanding you earlier. I thought you were meaning they were being uncaring, about not looking in on him sooner. KR moved from the yellow house, to a camper, secluded, on a piece of the property. We don't know, exactly, why he moved there either.

After he married, he lived with his spouse til 2007. After the divorce, he then moved to the little yellow house til 2014 (2014 is when a lot of activity started, iirc), he then moved to 1084 Left Fork, and was there til his death.

Had their been a partnership, between he and CR1, and it dissolved? Had too much traffic been going on, and had he he didn't care for that? Was he known to have a temper? Then again, maybe he just wanted to be alone? We just don't know, but, in my one lower on the totem pole theories, he's the key to figuring this all out. Why? Because he doesn't fit.

And Violet Rhoden ended up dead, too. I wonder if she was threatened with loss of custody of her son if she didn't snitch to LE. Then someone in LE leaked the info to the killers. Then LE tries to call it a "suicide". That exact scenario has already played out a couple of times in Ross & Scioto counties. It might explain the dispassionate dialogue from the caller who reported Violet's "suicide" to 911 - it was a script they were given for the call.

Anyone want to take a wager that JR is next? I hope not. I do hope this corruption is exposed and rooted out before anyone else "commits suicide" or "overdoses".

ETA: I wonder if Candy Newsome was also threatened with loss of custody of her daughter unless she cooperated with LE, only to find herself ratted out and killed?

UPDATE: Reward in unsolved Scioto County double murder case to be withdrawn soon

BBM
And Violet Rhoden ended up dead, too.

I am not sure I am understanding what you are saying. Are you saying that Josh Rhoden killed his sister because she knew too much about him and his friend's illegal drug activities?

I do hope this corruption is exposed and rooted out before anyone else "commits suicide" or "overdoses".

What corruption are you talking about? Do you think that a member of LE was present during Violet's death? Or during the other eight R's? Or that Sheriff Reader conspired with someone to have her killed? Or that any member of LE did?

The only corruption I see here is a bunch of drug dealers and drug addicts that would do anything to stay out of jail. The same names keep popping up in just about every murder or drug arrest in Pike County. And let me be clear on this. The Rhoden name has been present front and center in some of those drug arrests.

But I have yet to see Sheriff Reader or any member of LE in Pike County's name pop up in connection with any drug busts or arrests or unsolved murders in Pike County. (Other than being the arresting officer that is.)

I think that there is a loosely tied gang of people who both deal drugs and take drugs in Pike county just like there is in every county, every town, every state in this country. Those gang of people keep popping up in these murders because the victims are either involved in selling illegal drugs or they are addicted to illegal drugs. Ditto for those being arrested. No conspiracy there, just a cold hard fact of life in the USA in 2018.

JMO

BBM

I am not sure I am understanding what you are saying. Are you saying that Josh Rhoden killed his sister because she knew too much about him and his friend's illegal drug activities?

I do hope this corruption is exposed and rooted out before anyone else "commits suicide" or "overdoses".

What corruption are you talking about? Do you think that a member of LE was present during Violet's death? Or during the other eight R's? Or that Sheriff Reader conspired with someone to have her killed? Or that any member of LE did?

The only corruption I see here is a bunch of drug dealers and drug addicts that would do anything to stay out of jail. The same names keep popping up in just about every murder or drug arrest in Pike County. And let me be clear on this. The Rhoden name has been present front and center in some of those drug arrests.

But I have yet to see Sheriff Reader or any member of LE in Pike County's name pop up in connection with any drug busts or arrests or unsolved murders in Pike County. (Other than being the arresting officer that is.)

I think that there is a loosely tied gang of people who both deal drugs and take drugs in Pike county just like there is in every county, every town, every state in this country. Those gang of people keep popping up in these murders because the victims are either involved in selling illegal drugs or they are addicted to illegal drugs. Ditto for those being arrested. No conspiracy there, just a cold hard fact of life in the USA in 2018.

JMO

A lot of the dealers, are dealing to support addictions, too. They are by no means, the big fish in the pond. The big fish are driving it in from out of state, and out of country. Usually Cali, or Mexico. The top dogs don't care if their drivers die. They'll just grab another one off the street, and send them, with the promise of $$$$$.

Ever watched Meth Storm? It was on HBO not long ago. They got it pretty close. Generational addiction, kids growing up in the game, parents helping their kids shoot up after they learn their kids are addicts, just like them. The parental line blurs. Kinda like GR and his stepfather getting caught shooting up in that parking lot. GR's mother and stepfather are/were dealers. She didn't even want her name given out and acted like the weed was just a total shock. Right... Look up her charges. I don't think this was over weed though.

The Dispatch is not using her name because she’s fearful that family members could stillbe targeted. “It’s an awful thing to happen, I’ll tell you,” she said. Gary, she said, had gone to stay withhis nephew, which he did from time to time because they were so close in age. They had talked, she said, on Wednesday. “I told him that I loved him,” she said. Of the reports of a marijuana operation, she said, “I can’t believe that. That’s just hard tobelieve. But you know, things happen.”

Piketon homes where family died had pot-growing operations, officials say

For those of you on here who believe that the Law enforcement community of Pike County or any other county is involved in some type of cover up or assisting in the murders of any victims, or in any way forcing anyone to become a "snitch" by threatening to take away their children or that there is some vast conspiracy among LE, Judges and social workers to do so or to promote the killings of these people by ordering others to carry them out:

I asked my nephew what could be done by the Department of Justice. I asked him if the DOJ could investigate these things. This is what he sent to me. He said anyone can file a complaint. So here you go.

The vast majority of the law enforcement officers in this country perform their very difficult jobs with respect for their communities and in compliance with the law. Even so, there are incidents in which this is not the case. This document outlines the laws enforced by the United States Department of Justice (DOJ) that address police misconduct and explains how you can file a complaint with DOJ if you believe that your rights have been violated.
Federal laws that address police misconduct include both criminal and civil statutes. These laws cover the actions of State, county, and local officers, including those who work in prisons and jails. In addition, several laws also apply to Federal law enforcement officers. The laws protect all persons in the United States (citizens and non-citizens).
Each law DOJ enforces is briefly discussed below. In DOJ investigations, whether criminal or civil, the person whose rights have been reportedly violated is referred to as a victim and often is an important witness. DOJ generally will inform the victim of the results of the investigation, but we do not act as the victim's lawyer and cannot give legal advice as a private attorney could.
The various offices within DOJ that are responsible for enforcing the laws discussed in this document coordinate their investigation and enforcement efforts where appropriate. For example, a complaint received by one office may be referred to another if necessary to address the allegations. In addition, more than one office may investigate the same complaint if the allegations raise issues covered by more than one statute. What is the difference between criminal and civil cases? Criminal and civil laws are different. Criminal cases usually are investigated and handled separately from civil cases, even if they concern the same incident. In a criminal case, DOJ brings a case against the accused person; in a civil case, DOJ brings the case (either through litigation or an administrative investigation) against a governmental authority or law enforcement agency. In a criminal case, the evidence must establish proof "beyond a reasonable doubt," while in civil cases the proof need only satisfy the lower standard of a "preponderance of the evidence." Finally, in criminal cases, DOJ seeks to punish a wrongdoer for past misconduct through imprisonment or other sanction. In civil cases, DOJ seeks to correct a law enforcement agency's policies and practices that fostered the misconduct and, where appropriate, may require individual relief for the victim(s).

Federal Criminal Enforcement

It is a crime for one or more persons acting under color of law willfully to deprive or conspire to deprive another person of any right protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States. (18 U.S.C. §§ 241, 242). "Color of law" simply means that the person doing the act is using power given to him or her by a governmental agency (local, State, or Federal). A law enforcement officer acts "under color of law" even if he or she is exceeding his or her rightful power. The types of law enforcement misconduct covered by these laws include excessive force, sexual assault, intentional false arrests, or the intentional fabrication of evidence resulting in
a loss of liberty to another. Enforcement of these provisions does not require that any racial, religious, or other discriminatory motive existed. What remedies are available under these laws? Violations of these laws are punishable by fine and/or imprisonment. There is no private right of action under these statutes; in other words, these are not the legal provisions under which you would file a lawsuit on your own.
Federal Civil Enforcement

"Police Misconduct Provision"

This law makes it unlawful for State or local law enforcement officers to engage in a pattern or practice of conduct that deprives persons of rights protected by the Constitution or laws of the United States. (42 U.S.C. § 14141). The types of conduct covered by this law can include, among other things, excessive force, discriminatory harassment, false arrests, coercive sexual conduct, and unlawful stops, searches or arrests. In order to be covered by this law, the misconduct must constitute a "pattern or practice" -- it may not simply be an isolated incident. The DOJ must be able to show in court that the agency has an unlawful policy or that the incidents constituted a pattern of unlawful conduct. However, unlike the other civil laws discussed below, DOJ does not have to show that discrimination has occurred in order to prove a pattern or practice of misconduct. What remedies are available under this law? The remedies available under this law do not provide for individual monetary relief for the victims of the misconduct. Rather, they provide for injunctive relief, such as orders to end the misconduct and changes in the agency's policies and procedures that resulted in or allowed the misconduct. There is no private right of action under this law; only DOJ may file suit for violations of the Police Misconduct Provision.

How to File a Complaint with DOJ
Criminal Enforcement

If you would like to file a complaint alleging a violation of the criminal laws discussed above, you may contact the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), which is responsible for investigating allegations of criminal deprivations of civil rights. You may also contact the United States Attorney's Office (USAO) in your district. The FBI and USAOs have offices in most major cities and have publicly-listed phone numbers. In addition, you may send a written complaint to:

Criminal Section
Civil Rights Division
U.S. Department of Justice
P.O. Box 66018
Washington, D.C. 20035-6018

Civil Enforcement

If you would like to file a complaint alleging violations of the Police Misconduct Statute, Title VI, or the OJP Program Statute, you may send a written complaint to:

Coordination and Review Section
Civil Rights Division
U.S. Department of Justice
P.O. Box 66560
Washington, D.C. 20035-6560

You may also call the Coordination and Review Section's toll-free number for information and a complaint form, at (888) 848-5306 (voice and TDD).

What information should I include in a complaint to DOJ?
Your complaint, whether alleging violations of criminal or civil laws listed in this document, should include the following information:
  • Your name, address, and telephone number(s).
  • The name(s) of the law enforcement agency (or agencies) involved.
  • A description of the conduct you believe violates one of the laws discussed above, with as many details as possible. You should include: the dates and times of incident(s); any injuries sustained; the name(s), or other identifying information, of the officer(s) involved (if possible); and any other examples of similar misconduct.
  • The names and telephone numbers of witnesses who can support your allegations.
  • If you believe that the misconduct is based on your race, color, national origin, sex, religion, or disability, please identify the basis and explain what led you to believe that you were treated in a discriminatory manner (i.e., differently from persons of another race, sex, etc.).

BBM

JMO

No, I don't think anyone from the Rhoden family was involved in Violet's death. The sheriff has already named a suspect. that same person was in close proximity to Violet when she died, as well as being linked to Bernice Hayslip's death.

If you watch the documentary about the forgotten women of Ohio, you'll get a better idea of how LE and local prosecutors fit into the picture. They're the ones who pressure some vulnerable addicts and others to become informants. It's a way for them to keep track of what's going on in the drug trafficking network. When they outlive their usefulness or become a threat, dangerous people find out they're informants and they end up missing or dead. LE writes off the cases as overdoses, suicides or just missing people. The investigators in the documentary have interviewed a lot of people and managed to discover that most of these people were killed. For those still considered missing, tips have indicated where the victims are buried, but LE is often reluctant to investigate further. In this system, some killers are protected. They drift in and out of jail on minor charges, but are never tried for murder. Kind of like the guy who was present for Violet and Ms Hayslip's death.

The big picture indicates some LE and prosecutors manipulate this system of pressuring addicts to become informants as a way of managing the drug trafficking system in their jurisdictions. JMO.

As to what the feds are doing about it, that seems unknown at this point, IMO. One of the investigators in the documentary has expressed concerns that federal officers sometimes protect dangerous drug informants/dealers at the risk of others. I suggest you watch the documentary, it reveals a lot. Very complicated network of drug trafficking, prostitution, etc. involving addicts, small time dealers and possibly LE and some of the local leadership gentry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tattooteena