OH - Pike County: 8 people from one family dead as police hunt for killer(s) #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know how property taxes work for land without a permanent structure? Do you still pay the same tax rate based on the value of the land? (For example, here property tax is 1.25%. So you pay 1.25% of the value of your house every year. But what if my lot had no house on it? Would I still pay 1.25% of the land value?)

I am trying to estimate what Chris's liability was for property tax each year. If he owns 14 pieces of property, which total 200 acres (that is totally made up - just for arguments sake) and each acre is worth $1,000 a piece (so $200,000 in land value -- again totally made up). Does he pay the same county property tax rate of (2% x $200,000 = $4000)? Or is property taxed at a lower rate if it has no permanent structure?

Do barns count? Do you pay property taxes on those?

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help solve this. I am trying to see if maybe he had to pick up a new income stream (rumors that the business was expanding) to cover all the land expenses.

It's all inconsequential really. I'm trying to wrap my mind around whether 200+ plants is truly "commercial" as described, or just enough to pay the bills. I am not buying that it was worth $500,000 a year after hearing from our Mary Jane experts here earlier today.

The yearly tax amount is on the auditors site.

All buildings count as does property with road frontage. Buildings increase the tax amount. Different buildings are assessed in different ways, a homestead costs the most.

Property that has NO development, not even ever a fence, is undeveloped and pretty cheap. No buildings at the moment don't make it undeveloped.

Forest land is cheap.

Property can be sold for delinquent taxes, generally auctioned, most pay the taxes before then.

Some of this might vary per state.

With my political work I used to work for the Board of Equalization and helped with property assessment for taxes.

Great idea. I used Google Earth's timeline. The trailer is there as of 7/2015. It was not there in 2012, but it appears a smaller trailer was. Prior to that, the images were blurry. It appears to be a structure such as a small shed, but is not clear enough to tell.

Thank you so much. I thought maybe if we could pinpoint when Kenneth moved onto Chris's property, we may be able to guess that was around the time their joint business started (see what I did there)?

Does anyone know how property taxes work for land without a permanent structure? Do you still pay the same tax rate based on the value of the land? (For example, here property tax is 1.25%. So you pay 1.25% of the value of your house every year. But what if my lot had no house on it? Would I still pay 1.25% of the land value?)

I am trying to estimate what Chris's liability was for property tax each year. If he owns 14 pieces of property, which total 200 acres (that is totally made up - just for arguments sake) and each acre is worth $1,000 a piece (so $200,000 in land value -- again totally made up). Does he pay the same county property tax rate of (2% x $200,000 = $4000)? Or is property taxed at a lower rate if it has no permanent structure?

Do barns count? Do you pay property taxes on those?

Thank you in advance for anyone who can help solve this. I am trying to see if maybe he had to pick up a new income stream (rumors that the business was expanding) to cover all the land expenses.

It's all inconsequential really. I'm trying to wrap my mind around whether 200+ plants is truly "commercial" as described, or just enough to pay the bills. I am not buying that it was worth $500,000 a year after hearing from our Mary Jane experts here earlier today.
200 plants was only ONE operation.

If it was good weed, they could make around 4-5k a pound. With 200 plants, that would probably be about 100-150 pounds and could even be upwards of 200 pounds depending on their abilities. If they only harvested those 200 plants once in a year, it would be a minimum of 400,000 WITHOUT the expenses of electricity, growing supplies, potential help, etc. This is only getting product once a year and without any other additional plants. JMO.

This is also depending on quality. If you have really good weed, that's the prices you can expect. If they are growing 200 plants of ditch weed, well that's another story.

They seemed happy in the photos and I haven't read that there was trouble in paradise. Marriage still means something to a lot of folks, presumably the Gilleys too. I'm sure they want her memory not to be connected with the Rhodens.
I wasn't inferring that their relationship was in trouble. I just got the impression that her side of the family was not overjoyed w/the relationship, and even if they were okay with it, the deceased is released to the next of kin if there is no legal marriage. If it were my child I'd bring her home, especially considering the circumstances.

Thank you so much. I thought maybe if we could pinpoint when Kenneth moved onto Chris's property, we may be able to guess that was around the time their joint business started (see what I did there)?
Him living on Chris's property more than likely has zero to do with their business starting.

Chris let family live on property. This is what country families do.

Kenneth had a entry in the Pike County court records where it showed his address as 4077 Union Hill. I suspect that he may have stayed with Chris Sr. at some point after Chris' divorce. Or perhaps he only used that as an address, as per DS he didn't have mail delivery at the Left Fork location. One more confusing detail in this case, sigh!

The yearly tax amount is on the auditors site.

All buildings count as does property with road frontage. Buildings increase the tax amount. Different buildings are assessed in different ways, a homestead costs the most.

Property that has NO development, not even ever a fence, is undeveloped and pretty cheap. No buildings at the moment don't make it undeveloped.

Forest land is cheap.

Property can be sold for delinquent taxes, generally auctioned, most pay the taxes before then.

Some of this might vary per state.

With my political work I used to work for the Board of Equalization and helped with property assessment for taxes.

Thank you! So am I understanding correctly that his property tax liability was probably not that high?

What is a viewing? Does that mean open casket? (Sorry, I have only been on two funerals before and both were for people that were cremated.)
It's the same as a visitation basically. The casket would only be open if it is appropriate and if wanted by the family.

What is a viewing? Does that mean open casket? (Sorry, I have only been on two funerals before and both were for people that were cremated.)

Sorry this is why it said

THE RHODEN FAMILY Funeral services will be held 12:00 PM Tuesday May 3, 2016 at Dry Run Church of Christ in West Portsmouth. Visitation will be held from 12:00 to 8:00 PM on Monday at the Roger...

Most likely a closed caskets but I don't know

Thank you! So am I understanding correctly that his property tax liability was probably not that high?
From what I remember when I looked, much was classified as forest land and much of it less than $50 a year. His homestead properties probably aren't much, the road frontage and that barn would raise it the most. The worth of buildings and the type decide the taxes also. The appraisal amount of a building for property tax purposes isn't the same as real estate purposes. It is much, much lower appraised values for property tax purposes.

Sorry this is why it said

THE RHODEN FAMILY Funeral services will be held 12:00 PM Tuesday May 3, 2016 at Dry Run Church of Christ in West Portsmouth. Visitation will be held from 12:00 to 8:00 PM on Monday at the Roger...

Most likely a closed caskets but I don't know

Thank you. Tuesday will be a very sad day.

Although it says "viewing", and depending on the amount & location of the gunshots/trauma in might be possible, I think it's more likely that "visitation" would be the reality of the situation. Most of the "viewings" I've been to were (thankfully) closed-casket visitations. It's really just a chance for family & friends to pay their respects, convey their condolences to the surviving family members and remember the deceased. I always think of it as less formal than the funeral itself, but more solemn than a wake.

This kind of thinking is why I created that list! I never thought about it before, but perhaps they weren't waiting until HR got out of the hospital as some have suggested. Maybe they were simply waiting until the night of the full moon!
So... would they have put if off for a month if it had been cloudy that night and the next? I'm not being facetious, I'm genuinely asking those who think this is part of why that night was picked. I will go one step further and say that it's proven that the full moon does affect people to act crazy, it's where we get the words lunacy and lunatic from. Maybe that had something to do with it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Do you know how many "lids" are in a pound? Anyone? (Showing my age ... but serious question. It's the only way my mind can equate the 250# quantity. Lol).
In the "old" days, a lid roughly equated to about an ounce. I think it's rarely used these days though.

I don't think this date was chosen because of the full moon.
I really wish we knew when Gary got into town.

But his wasn't an RV (responding to 2 comments because you both said the same thing). RVs like the type that rock stars use are really nice, and very expensive. His was a 5th wheel - you can't drive it. It attaches to the back of the pickup truck. It is smaller and not as nice. (From what I can tell from the helicopter shots). I just wonder if anyone has any record of him owning a home somewhere. He did at one point have a wife and 2 kids.

Also, that camper he lived in is mobile, so how long had it been there? Is it possible to check Google Maps from 2015, 2014, 2013, etc. to see roughly when it showed up there?

He did have a wife and 3 kids survived him but he had another son that died. He used to live with his wife in their home that is owned by her parents. It's all public record and easy to find by going to recorder site. His ex wife has gone back to her maiden name though and the many properties in that family are under her maiden name. I mentioned it earlier because his ex wife... A former Rhoden... Lives in a house owned by her parents who also own property on Beavers Creek. So to answer your question, yes he used to live somewhere else. Then he moved to 4077 Union Hill for a bit it seems because his arrest record shows that as his address. Then at some point he went to Left Fork... Which he owns 1/4 of along with his brothers as the Christopher et all. It's easy to track the property records and see the actual documents on the recorder site and I think the documents tell a lot.

RE: Was the Sheriff lying about dealing with this family?
Of the 81 Rhoden cases in Pike County clerk of courts web database- 26 are cases involving victims. Of those, 20 are traffic cases from Ohio state highway patrol. Of the 6 remaining cases, all are criminal cases brought by the sheriffs's department. One case in 2013, a full 2 years before he took over as sheriff, the rest are 2008 or earlier.
Of the remaining cases involving a Rhoden who wasn't a victim, zero cases since he became Sheriff have involved his department.
It's entirely possible he has never dealt with a case involving a Rhoden in his career.

So 81 (!!!!) cases before the new sheriff arrived and 0 (zero) after? That too me tells me exactly the sort of "relationship" this Sheriff had with the family........a family don't have 81 offenses and then suddenly stop being naughty (for want of a better word).

I don't think this date was chosen because of the full moon.
I really wish we knew when Gary got into town.

Me too! If I could have 2 questions answered they would be:

1) When did Gary arrive?

2) What were the times of death for each victim, particularly Kenneth (because I feel he could have been killed up to 24 hours earlier. Not for any particular reason other than he was alone. If DS says he talked to Kenneth on Thursday night about fixing cars on Friday morning, but then it is proved Kenneth actually died Thursday morning -- we have a problem. Total theory, IMO, hypothetical, JMO and all that.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member