GUILTY OH - Sarah Widmer, 24, drowned in bathtub, Hamilton Township, 11 Aug 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Sorry if I bump this thread. I saw this case on Dateline in 2009 and this past Sunday. I don't think Ryan Widmer killed his wife, Sarah Widmer. There was no sign of a struggle.

Sorry if I bump this thread. I saw this case on Dateline in 2009 and this past Sunday. I don't think Ryan Widmer killed his wife, Sarah Widmer. There was no sign of a struggle.

:gthanks:

This is the first I've been on this thread, but I followed the case from the beginning because it happened in my hometown. I don't know whether or not Ryan killed his wife, but there was absolutely no evidence to suggest foul play. I was astonished at the outcome and felt ashamed of my hometown. It was obvious that the jury (and prosecution) wanted Ryan punished "just in case" he was responsible for Sarah's death.

There were so many inconsistencies. The prosecution didn't have one particular theory as to the MO. The bits of "evidence" and theories they presented were contradictory. And the surprise witness's story was rife with inconsistencies, too. IMO, she was not a believable witness, but was only looking for her 15 min. of fame. It did not matter to her if her testimony destroyed the life of an innocent man.

Also, I agree with alsmom's assessment of Sarah's mom. She had no reason to believe Ryan had hurt her daughter at the start, but prosecution planted ideas in her mind so that her perception of Ryan, even prior to Sarah's death, became distorted. By convincing her of Ryan's guilt, I think prosecutors only added to her grief and have prevented her from healing emotionally from the loss of her daughter. MOO

This is the first I've been on this thread, but I followed the case from the beginning because it happened in my hometown. I don't know whether or not Ryan killed his wife, but there was absolutely no evidence to suggest foul play. I was astonished at the outcome and felt ashamed of my hometown. It was obvious that the jury (and prosecution) wanted Ryan punished "just in case" he was responsible for Sarah's death.

There were so many inconsistencies. The prosecution didn't have one particular theory as to the MO. The bits of "evidence" and theories they presented were contradictory. And the surprise witness's story was rife with inconsistencies, too. IMO, she was not a believable witness, but was only looking for her 15 min. of fame. It did not matter to her if her testimony destroyed the life of an innocent man.

Also, I agree with alsmom's assessment of Sarah's mom. She had no reason to believe Ryan had hurt her daughter at the start, but prosecution planted ideas in her mind so that her perception of Ryan, even prior to Sarah's death, became distorted. By convincing her of Ryan's guilt, I think prosecutors only added to her grief and have prevented her from healing emotionally from the loss of her daughter. MOO

I watched this last night, too. When I first heard of the case he had my sympathy but after last night I have to say I don't think much of him. That doesn't make him a murderer, though. A jerk maybe but no evidence of murder. If I had been on the jury I couldn't have voted guilty with what they presented. Makes me wonder how this guy gets convicted and Casey Anthony walks?

I saw the testimony and didn't sound credible to me. Sounds like someone who probably felt rejected by Ryan Widmer.

I'm a little surprised this case wasn't discussed more and/or more popular on WS. This case is extremely debatable and has so many layers to it.

I'm a little surprised this case wasn't discussed more and/or more popular on WS. This case is extremely debatable and has so many layers to it.

Me too. I just heard about it recently by watching Dateline, and it seems like a really intriguing case.

From just watching the one program only, it sure seems like there was plenty of room for reasonable doubt. The State's narrative about motive doesn't make much sense, neither does the surprise witness suddenly feeling guilty after years about not reporting his alleged confession, and my goodness, she obviously had something wrong with her to be 24 and falling asleep as quickly as she routinely did. Sounds like narcolepsy...

(And it sounds like he was addicted to *advertiser censored*, which Sarah may or may not have even known).

Me too. I just heard about it recently by watching Dateline, and it seems like a really intriguing case.

From just watching the one program only, it sure seems like there was plenty of room for reasonable doubt. The State's narrative about motive doesn't make much sense, neither does the surprise witness suddenly feeling guilty after years about not reporting his alleged confession, and my goodness, she obviously had something wrong with her to be 24 and falling asleep as quickly as she routinely did. Sounds like narcolepsy...

(And it sounds like he was addicted to *advertiser censored*, which Sarah may or may not have even known).

I lived in the area and remember when it happened, followed all the trials. Like most people on WS my hinky meter is spot on accurate, rarely does someone fool me. RW from the beginning never buzzed my hinky meter. And I mean it's always the husband (I mean that factitiously). Sure he wasn't a perfect husband but I have never thought he was guilty of murder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dateline just had a 2 hour special about this case.

Widmer was tried for the 3rd time after the second jury deadlocked. Found guilty and sentenced to 15 years minimum.

Widmer had been in contact with several women who reached out to him after seeing his case on Dateline back when it first aired in 2011. Typical "prison wife" lure where the women feel sorry for him, think he's been railroaded, and reach out to him. There were at least 3 women he was in contact with. One of the women testified at his 3rd trial, she came forward after the 2nd jury hung and told the court that Ryan Widmer had confessed to her that he did the killing. She said he was drunk and admitted it in a call one night. She kept it to herself. She also said he threatened her. She had some credibility issues, prior fraud arrest, some drug issues.

One of the other women (pretty blonde also named Sarah) struck up an online friendship with him, then went to visit him and stayed with him at his mother's house. She went back a few weeks later for Thanksgiving and stayed with him again and got pregnant on that visit. She had Widmer's son and named the baby "Ryan." They are no longer in a relationship and of course he's in prison.

The 3rd woman (another pretty blonde) is married but her husband didn't mind her supporting this guy.

Seeing the evidence, specifically the injuries found on Sara Widmer's body, and the eerie fingerprints showing that someone was hanging over the side of the tub and trying to get away, led me to conclude it was not an accidental death of someone falling asleep in a tub and drowning.

The thing that bugs me about this case is the motive. I have never heard what the motive could be for Ryan to kill Sarah.

I have followed this from the beginning, and I will admit that I thought Ryan was guilty from the first time I heard the 911 call played on the news the day after it happened.

But what was the motive?

The thing that bugs me about this case is the motive. I have never heard what the motive could be for Ryan to kill Sarah.

I have followed this from the beginning, and I will admit that I thought Ryan was guilty from the first time I heard the 911 call played on the news the day after it happened.

But what was the motive?
I don't recall a motive other than DA suggesting the couple got into an argument. Sarah's family were behind Ryan at the beginning, but after all of the claims made by the DA during the trial, Sarah's mother completely changed her portrayal of Ryan.

When it appears someone has been the victim of crime, there's nothing more that I want than justice for the victim and their family. But, in this case, I never even saw evidence that Sarah was murdered. The DA presented fragmented circumstantial evidence to suggest this may have happened, or this or this. But every fragment of so-called evidence the DA presented conflicted with the other fragments of so-called evidence. It made no sense to me. MOO

I don't recall a motive other than DA suggesting the couple got into an argument. Sarah's family were behind Ryan at the beginning, but after all of the claims made by the DA during the trial, Sarah's mother completely changed her portrayal of Ryan.

When it appears someone has been the victim of crime, there's nothing more that I want than justice for the victim and their family. But, in this case, I never even saw evidence that Sarah was murdered. The DA presented fragmented circumstantial evidence to suggest this may have happened, or this or this. But every fragment of so-called evidence the DA presented conflicted with the other fragments of so-called evidence. It made no sense to me. MOO

I agree. And I kept expecting to hear witness accounts of heated arguments between the two, evidence of explosive temper, or anything else that might explain what happened. But by all accounts they were happy newlyweds.

Hi all, I'm new here. Just read "Submerged" and thought it was excellent. I have to say I'm leaning towards his innocence. Does anyone know (anyone who has read the book) who the "unnamed witness" the author talks about at the end is? I find it fascinating that there's some information out there that is THAT potent but the author won't share...

Hi all, I'm new here. Just read "Submerged" and thought it was excellent. I have to say I'm leaning towards his innocence. Does anyone know (anyone who has read the book) who the "unnamed witness" the author talks about at the end is? I find it fascinating that there's some information out there that is THAT potent but the author won't share...
Welcome to Websleuths, Pisces67!
hi-there-smiley.gif

I haven't read the book, but I wonder if the author is being cautious about naming the witness until RW uses all of his appeals.
dont-no-smiley.gif

I am mystified by this case. I need to know more about this guy,something about the way he closes his eyes when he professes his innocence and love of Sarah. Was this his "tell", if so is it a tell of guilt or innocence? As well, water temperatures, what was the water heater set at, and what if anything did she use in her bath water, nothing, Epsom salt, bubble bath, anything?? Could have something to do with this case....just baffling!

I know depending on water temp. how fast you dry, I completely understand her hair being damp yet after 2 ½ mins her body is dry,dependant on water temp and if there was something additional in the bath water,as in, Epsom salt or some other thing, also was it winter or summer? And the temperature in the house, the humidity inside?...... It makes absolutely no sense that everyone supported him UNTIL a 3rd trial. Prosecutors/Da's are extremely effective in making others take in their "version " of what occurred, simply by speaking as though they are seasoned forensic experts and the family member really will believe what is laid out for them, believing that the prosecutors are more knowledgeable than they really are. As well as if there was a possibility of seizures, it simply must be explored,it is a point of doubt...if they were arguing, as presented, she as a young woman could have been extremely distraught with the thought of her not "being the one and only " of her otherwise perfect man.(many young perfect brides never believe their spouse watches *advertiser censored*)!
As well I see nothing abnormal about his relationship after the bond from jail with a child as a result. He never got to mourn for his wife, he was looking for compassion. I was always told when there is a death notification to be made, especially to young military or law enforcement brides, that 1 Male and 1 female officer should be present, strictly due to the way those notifications have an effect of the behavior of the spouse.It is not unheard of they are so distraught that sometimes they make some type of a very confused sexual advance. It is all in the way our brains can handle a horrific trauma.
As a juror, he doesn't need to prove his innocence, they must prove without a shadow of a doubt that he and only he was responsible and unfortunately they did not do that....sure they raised suspicions for me, but they absolutely did not prove he killed her. What was the conclusion of the autopsy and exactly who performed it and why was there not a second autopsy performed by someone, more knowledgeable about undetected and unknown seizure, she was having another one of those terrible headaches, the whole reason for the bath and sounds to me like this was a recurring issue for her to say a terrible headache day. I am not sure but his last appeal was denied correct? Does he have an attorney at this point....It appears Only Our God Really Knows What Happened.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timbo1966
Back