Found Deceased OH - Sierah Joughin, 20, Fulton County, 19 July 2016 #3 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In cases that may require a decent degree of legal acumen and more exposure to a wide range of cases, a regular public defender may not fit the bill as an "able defense." I am sure that the state (i.e. the courts who have appointed an outsider) would rather err on the side of "he knows a little more" than "let's just throw any old public defender at him." Given that he already overstepped a line by requesting a particular public defender, I don't know who would have been able to represent him out of the PD's office (I imagine that the office is very very small). A defendant's inability to access able counsel is a technicality that I wouldn't want to see overturn a conviction in this case. I assume that Ohio feels the same.

"The suspect told the judge he made $1,000 last year and requested the court appoint as his representative attorney Mark Powers of Wauseon, who has represented Worley before.
“I need to speak to someone that I know and trust. I don’t know of a more honest person,” Worley told the judge."
http://www.toledoblade.com/Police-Fire/2016/07/23/Police-search-property-of-abduction-suspect.html

I have read this line by JDW at least 25 times in the past few days, watched the videos --- and all the sudden this last time it hits me. This guy on Friday, knowing full well what he had done before they had even found her body, is already setting up his mistrial or overturned conviction-- that his public defender was not good enough and not whom he asked for. WTW? Sick.:tantrum: (referencing whimdriven's thoughts, too)

Worley was in Fulton County Eastern District Municipal Court Tuesday. He will go before Judge Jeffery Robinson of Fulton County Western District Court Wednesday at 1:15 p.m. for a preliminary hearing on the aggravated kidnapping charge filed last week. It is right now unclear if he will be arraigned on the murder charge at the same hearing.
http://www.wtol.com/story/32535804/fulton-co-man-charged-with-murder-abduction-of-sierah-joughin?clienttype=generic&sf31790308=1

What is known of this judge?
I didn't realize it was originally filed as aggravated kidnapping. I'll have to look that up.
And, unknown if arraignment for murder charge will be tomorrow or only prelim for kidnapping -- so now we know that we don't know what exactly the hearing tomorrow will be for. :/

How do they decide who will be his court appointed lawyer? (Sorry I'm not very legal savy) I've heard of the lawyer he requested, Mark Powers (because I'm from the area) and never heard of the one they appointed him. I'm just wondering cuz we're small towns out here with not a lot of major crime so it would seem like these lawyers would deal more with divorce, domestic, dui's, things of that nature. Sorry if it's a dumb question :)

Worley was in Fulton County Eastern District Municipal Court Tuesday. He will go before Judge Jeffery Robinson of Fulton County Western District Court Wednesday at 1:15 p.m. for a preliminary hearing on the aggravated kidnapping charge filed last week. It is right now unclear if he will be arraigned on the murder charge at the same hearing.
http://www.wtol.com/story/32535804/fulton-co-man-charged-with-murder-abduction-of-sierah-joughin?clienttype=generic&sf31790308=1

I didn't realize it was originally filed as aggravated kidnapping. I'll have to look that up.
And, unknown if arraignment for murder charge will be tomorrow or only prelim for kidnapping -- so now we know that we don't know what exactly the hearing tomorrow will be for. :/

Is this hearing open to the public ? Iim thinking of going. Btw on ch 13 news they said they tried to obtain a copy of the search warrant documents and the judge said no and signed to seal those. Does that mean no one will know anything until actual trial ? You can bet your butt I will be there for that

He was only charged with abduction before they found her body and recently a positive ID and searched his home. They could only say that they had enough to charge him with that. So now the new charges brought up today will change the hearing for tomorrow.

Is this hearing open to the public ? Iim thinking of going. Btw on ch 13 news they said they tried to obtain a copy of the search warrant documents and the judge said no and signed to seal those. Does that mean no one will know anything until actual trial ? You can bet your butt I will be there for that

He was only charged with abduction before they found her body and recently a positive ID and searched his home. They could only say that they had enough to charge him with that. So now the new charges brought up today will change the hearing for tomorrow.

'Silence by the Justice System via the ms media is the Predator's most Lethal Weapon'... James Dean Worley was allowed to prey on unsuspecting innocent victims for decades due to his early prison release and lack of follow up monitoring, imo. 'Without public safety for our families, friends, and loved ones we have nothing'...

Sorry, my post must have been confusing. I understand the original abduction charge. I just didn't realize that the actual name of the charge is "aggravated kidnapping" not abduction. Also, I intended to point out that according to WTOL, the content of tomorrow's hearing is a bit unknown (as I had mentioned a few hours ago it probably would be) since there probably hasn't been time to prepare for the aggravated murder prelim, only the aggravated kidnapping charge in the prelim. My guess is they will motion for a continuance on both prelims due to new evidence and new charges and so nothing will come out of the hearing tomorrow. Happens often. They have to hold the hearing by law (it's a right to the defendent for the timeliness I believe , could be wrong), and then they file the continuance and it gives more time to compile/finish the prep work.

Something just struck me, and maybe I just don't understand... Help a girl out.

The article says he was appointed Shaffer. But Shaffer is in private practice, yes? How does that work?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

In my state, public defense is on a rotating basis.
Attorneys in private practice are assigned (i think 2) cases yearly.

The article says he was appointed Shaffer. But Shaffer is in private practice, yes? How does that work?

There are many attorneys that are in private practice and donate xxxx amt of time to pro bono cases as a public defender for the courts. In fact, I believe many states have this as a requirement. In smaller towns where there may not be public defenders who are in a specific field such as criminal murder, death penalty, etc a private attorney can be appointed by the state if they are on a list on file with the state as an attorney willing to do public defender cases. So yes he can be in private practice but be on list for the state/county/etc to defend as a public defender which the state then pays the fees (or pro bono as public service) This is JMO from many other cases so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Attorneys in private practice sometimes do pro bono work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://m.facebook.com/fultoncountyohsheriff/
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MEDIA CONTACTS:

July 26, 2016

Positive Identification Made of Sierah Joughin

(WAUSEON, Ohio)—Fulton County Sheriff Roy Miller announced today that positive identification has been made of Sierah Joughin, through fingerprint identification from the Attorney General’s Bureau of Criminal Investigation (BCI). The Coroner’s autopsy report is pending additional testing. Additionally, an aggravated murder charge has been filed with the Fulton County Eastern District Court against the suspect, James D. Worley.

This investigation continues to remain active and ongoing.

A Message from Sheriff Miller:

“We are aware that there are many rumors floating around social media and news media. I urge you to not read into them to make your own conclusions. Consider Sierah and her family, put yourself in their situation. This investigation is not over, we are still following up on leads, conducting interviews and looking into all angles of the case. It is not a quick or easy process. There are things we will not be able to release at times to protect the integrity of the investigation. Please allow us to follow the process and bring justice for Sierah Joughin and her family. Additional information may be released when it is appropriate and available.”

The Fulton County Sheriff’s Office, BCI and the Federal Bureau of Investigation Cleveland Division, Toledo Resident Agency continue to work on this case. They encourage anyone with information that could help investigators to contact the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office at 419-335-4010 ext. 8 or the (BCI) at 1-855-BCI-OHIO (224-6446).

Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it!

Has there been any mention of JW's mother? I thought I had read in an earlier post that she was in her 90's and living on the property? (I'm not trying to sleuth her - Norman Bates just popped into my head.)

I wasn't trying to sleuth her either, but in digging into the business name on the driveway entrance, I did discover what the initials stand for.

As far as the aggravated charge goes - I have to wonder if that has more to do with what was uncovered in that barn (possibly numerous tools of the trade??) than anything else? Something the investigators found that made it painfully obvious what his intentions were?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne