GUILTY OH - Sierah Joughin, 20, Fulton County, 19 July 2016 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If someone can send out a Kadoober signal when the verdict comes in... well... I'd sure appreciate that.

New article

http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/2018/03/26/Closing-arguments-in-Worley-trial-end-goes-to-jury.html
He [Prosecutor] also pointed to Worley's initial statements to investigators that he didn't return to the area near the abduction, only to later say he returned to look for items he had lost. Why did he lie, Mr. Haselman asked: "That's what guilty people do."
Ms. Joughin's DNA on underwear and a mattress found in the barn show that she was there, Mr. Haselman said.
"The evidence is the argument," he said. "That evidence rips the cloak of innocence off the defendant."
Defense attorney Merle Dech focused on all the places Worley's DNA was not found, including on Ms. Joughin's bike and the gag that killed her.
The reasonable doubt present, Mr. Dech said, must lead the jury to a not guilty verdict.

Taken from the Blade - “Worley, 58, of rural Delta, Ohio, is charged with two counts of aggravated murder — both with death-penalty specifications — as well as four counts of kidnapping, two counts each of murder, abduction, felonious assault, and having weapons while under disability, and one count each of possessing criminal tools, gross abuse of a corpse, and tampering with evidence.”

I have a question, not to sound dumb but, why the 4 counts of kidnapping and 2 counts of murder? I thought you get 1 count of murder for 1 person? 1 count of kidnapping for 1 person? Am I missing something?

Taken from the Blade - “Worley, 58, of rural Delta, Ohio, is charged with two counts of aggravated murder — both with death-penalty specifications — as well as four counts of kidnapping, two counts each of murder, abduction, felonious assault, and having weapons while under disability, and one count each of possessing criminal tools, gross abuse of a corpse, and tampering with evidence.”

I have a question, not to sound dumb but, why the 4 counts of kidnapping and 2 counts of murder? I thought you get 1 count of murder for 1 person? 1 count of kidnapping for 1 person? Am I missing something?

I believe it depends on the severity.

Each count is different. The aggravated murder charges:

2903.01A says:
No person shall purposely, and with prior calculation and design, cause the death of another or the unlawful termination of another's pregnancy.
2903.01B says:
No person shall purposely cause the death of another or the unlawful termination of another's pregnancy while committing or attempting to commit, or while fleeing immediately after committing or attempting to commit, kidnapping, rape, aggravated arson, arson, aggravated robbery, robbery, aggravated burglary, burglary, terrorism, or escape.

You can see the different vebiage used for each count on the 'indictment details' tab here -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...WcNiyfQ1_ohD2zHsPOmahiYnA/edit#gid=1039324888

I believe he can only be convicted of one count (but I may be wrong!), and it's up to the jury to decide which 'code' to convict under.

I was at court today for the closing arguments. I still cannot believe how JW turned the monitor off when they showed the graphic photos, acting as if he can’t bear to look. He is a weirdo. I’m afraid of how many others has he murdered, I don’t believe he didn’t do anything for the last 25 years.

Praying the jury comes back with the guilty verdict soon! Justice for Sierah ❤️

I am probably the last person who can explain the multiple counts , but I will try.

Two types of murder: Murder and aggravated murder
With subsections under each.
the kidnapping charges are probably due to differing degrees/subsections involved, also,

http://www.toledoblade.com/Courts/2...-for-James-Worley-in-Sierah-Joughin-case.html
In the release, Mr. Haselman said that while the indictment alleges multiple counts of abduction, kidnapping, murder, and aggravated murder, “those counts assert alleged violations that emanate from different subsections of the relevant portions of the Ohio Revised Code.”
http://www.thevillagereporter.com/james-worley-pleads-not-guilty-on-all-charges/[FONT=&quot]
If convicted, Worley could face the death penalty for those charges which include two counts of aggravated murder, two counts of murder, two counts of abduction, four counts of kidnapping, one count of abuse of a corpse and one count of tampering with evidence. Duplicated charges in the case reference different sections of the Ohio Revised Code.

[/FONT]
https://scholarlycommons.law.case.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1201&context=faculty_publications
Ohio divides murder into two categories: murder and ag- gravated murder. Aggravated murder is further divided into five categories: (1) a purposeful killing with prior calculation and design, (2) a purposeful killing during the commission of specified felonies, (3) a purposeful killing of a child under thirteen years of age, (4) a purposeful killing while the actor is under detention, or is breaking detention, as a result of a felony conviction, and (5) a purposeful killing of a law en- forcement officer if the victim is engaged in official duties at the time of the offense, or if the offender's specific purpose was to kill a law enforcement officer. The death penalty may
imposed only for aggravated murder.
There are two categories of murder: (1) a purposeful killing, and (2) causing a death during the commission of specified violent felonies.
There are also two types of manslaughter: (1) voluntary and (2) involuntary. In addition, Ohio recognizes negligent homicide as a crime. Finally, two provisions govern vehicu- lar homicides.

Thanks Kadoober!

She wasn’t pregnant was she?

No, that is just standard wording.
No person shall purposely cause the death of another or the unlawful termination of another's pregnancy.
So for charge 2903.02A, they are saying he intentionally killed Ce.

WTOL channel 11 just said they are waiting to hear if the jury will wrap up deliberations for today or if they will keep going through the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTOL channel 11 just said they are waiting to hear if the jury will wrap up deliberations for today or if they will keep going through the evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have they decided if they will keep going through the night or decide to stop??

Watching WTOL the clip from the defense...no red shorts. Wow maybe he burned them.

Have they decided if they will keep going through the night or decide to stop??

WTOL said the judge is going to check in on them at 6:30 to see if they believe they can finish tonight or take a break and continue tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member