GUILTY OH - Steubenville Rape Case, 11 Aug 2012 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
And I believe in this case, they were offered favors. There may have been some who got something from a girl who was less responsive, but in general, she was awake enough to participate. From what I've read.

And that's not victim bashing.

Again please provide source because I have yet to read on thing that states anything close to her being awake enough to participate

For the record, I don't think you did anything all that special either.

You did what my sons have done, and what my husband would have done.

But I don't think others who fell short should have their lives ruined for the rest of their existence.

bbm1
fell short=rape?

bbm2
Oh I am so pleased that this was national news just for that reason, I want them to be reminded every day for the rest of their lives that they are scum. jmo

Oh darn! That's what happens when someone is a rapist! I don't care if these kids' brains are fully developed or not, their actions after the fact prove that they knew what they had done was wrong. The only reason these 2 boys took the brunt of it is because they were the ones dumb enough to have an arrogant picture taken of them holding the unconscious victim. They have tried every which way to lie and blame the victim and I truly believed they thought they would get off. Just shows further proof of their arrogance. Anyone who is capable of raping an unconscious victim gets everything that is coming to them, IMO. They made their bed, now they have to sleep in it.

And I would feel the same way if it were my own kid.

BBM-They thought they would get off because so many of their friends, family and other adults told them they didn't do anything wrong! :furious:

bbm1
fell short=rape?

bbm2
Oh I am so pleased that this was national news just for that reason, I want them to be reminded every day for the rest of their lives that they are scum. jmo

Yes-and they and their family and friends have blamed everyone else along the way-the girl, Anonymous, KnightSec, social media (ironicly!) the protesters, etc...and yes-even you and me for daring to be so judgemental about these poor boys who we don't even really know!

And they still don't get it! I suppose they never will. According to them, these boys are the VICTIMS. Their reputations smeared, their futures destroyed unjustly.

Let's just think for a moment if Anonymous and the other blogs had not picked up on this story and ran with it and brought it to the national stage:

The boys would not have been punished and would still be the stars of the school. They'd be cheered on Friday nights as they ran for touchdowns. Their pictures would be in the local papers. The college recruiters would be following them, meeting with their parents and they would be looking forward to a college scholarship. They would enjoy popularity like no others. They would continue to party with their friends and continue to have an opportunity to rape again. Their crimes would become more severe and more bold. No one can touch them because they are a star. I have no doubt that they would continue to disrespect women and ultimately destroy many more lives along the way in their lives.

The girl would have been thrown to the wolves. SHE would have had the scarlet letter on her forever. She would be ridiculed wherever she went, probably be called mean names and there would be several others along the way that would think she is a *advertiser censored* and they too should be able to have a shot at her. She would continue down a path of self destruction and low self esteem. She would likely drink and perhaps use drugs to ease the pain. She would likely become exactly what everyone thinks she is. She may even decide to end her life because the pain, the isolation, the humiliation, the bullying are just too much to bare.

And none of us would have ever known a thing.

I had a similar situation about 30 years ago. QUOTE]

Clipped for length:

Lisa-I am so sorry this happened to you. Your story broke my heart. It's amazing just how naive we were when we were young. My parents also were just like yours. I guess if they hadn't seen just how hysterical I was after my rape, they would have likely blamed me as well.

But 30 years ago...mine was about 25 years ago....those wounds NEVER heal. Sure we learned from these things, we became wiser and protected ourselves better in the future and hopefully, we can take this life experience to be in a better position to teach our own children to avoid these situations.

But you NEVER "get over" a rape. NEVER. To this day, I find myself at times obsessing about it. I try to google him online in the hopes I will find out that he's in jail or has died or something. The thought of him having a happy life or a family really gets to me. I also think of any other girls he likely has done this to. I am sure after getting away with doing it to me, he only got bolder. (Although the scene at the bar probably scared the carp out of him for at least a while!)

But the bottom line is that you NEVER forget. Your rapist and mine have forgotten. They've gone on with their lives. But we carry it wherever we go for the rest of our days.

And then we have to listen to people who 25-30 years after what happened to us continue to bash victims and feel sorry for the rapists!!!! How have we not progressed as a society???

Honestly, I don't want to hear any more!!! This is just my opinion, but this is a victim friendly forum and I, for one, am getting tired of hearing anyone coming here and showing any sympathy for these CONVICTED rapists and blaming their victim.
:furious:

Sex offenders are employable. They are not permitted to work in very specific occupations that would give them access, especially unsupervised, to children and other vulnerable populations.

As a young child, my daughter was molested by her then-stepfather. When it all came out years later, we went to the police, and eventually he was tried and convicted. Last summer, he came up for parole (see my sig) and we went to the prison to object. During his hearing, one of the questions he was asked was what he planned to do next if he WAS released as a result of that proceeding. He said he'd like to volunteer (uh, excuse me? VOLUNTEER WORK? Who will pay his living expenses??) with "animals or the elderly." Obviously, these are "vulnerable populations" and I wondered why he would be such an idiot as to say this. He said a lot of other dumb $#!+ too, so I suppose it shouldn't have surprised me. It's a non-issue until 2015, however, as his parole was denied.

O/T but on topic-you guys should check out what is going on at CNN. Here is the link to the story:
http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/18/justice/ohio-steubenville-case/index.html?hpt=ju_c2

There is an animated conversation going on regarding, among other things, CNN's coverage of the verdict.

CNN appears to be deleting that specific discussion fast and furiously. Isnt that interesting??

It's disgusting that CNN's coverage of the verdict was like the coverage of a funeral. So sad for these rapists. There lives were just destroyed. Boo hoo.

Their lives were NOT destroyed. They destroyed their own lives.

Snipped for focus

What crime do you think she should have been charged with?

Since I believe JeanneT was referring to her personal experience with her son, I think she was upset that the boys were charged with underage possession of alcohol, the girl was not (?) and the alcohol was hers to begin with.

Aha. It is the fault of the defendants parents that they made sport of and raped a drunk girl.

Got it.

Until my child turns 18, I am responsible for his or her behavior. Parents can spend time in jail here if their child is truant. I am supposed to keep my own child under control, while teaching him or her to control themself prior to turning 18.

2 girls charged with threatening Ohio rape victim

ANDREW WELSH-HUGGINS, AP
1 hour ago

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A day after two high school football players were convicted of raping a 16-year-old girl, authorities arrested two Ohio girls suspected of making online threats against the accuser.

Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said the girls arrested Monday posted threatening comments on Twitter on Sunday, the day the players were convicted in Steubenville. One of the messages was later reposted on Facebook.

The rape case brought international attention to the small city of 18,000 and led to allegations of a cover-up to protect the Steubenville High School football team.

Steubenville police Capt. Joel Walker said the Jefferson County girls, ages 15and 16, were being held in juvenile detention...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-national/20130319/US--Football.Players-Rape.Charges/

Hey mods :D

Is it appropriate to open a new thread for the grand jury hearing and link to the two old threads? I'm not sure of the protocol here on thread topics.

LisaB, I want to make sure I understand your post-so your children would bear no responsibility for their own actions until they attain the age of 18? TIA.

I had a similar situation about 30 years ago.

Clipped for length:

Lisa-I am so sorry this happened to you. Your story broke my heart. It's amazing just how naive we were when we were young. My parents also were just like yours. I guess if they hadn't seen just how hysterical I was after my rape, they would have likely blamed me as well.
(snip)
But you NEVER "get over" a rape. NEVER. To this day, I find myself at times obsessing about it. I try to google him online in the hopes I will find out that he's in jail or has died or something. The thought of him having a happy life or a family really gets to me. I also think of any other girls he likely has done this to. I am sure after getting away with doing it to me, he only got bolder. (Although the scene at the bar probably scared the carp out of him for at least a while!)
(snip)

I actually check the Judiciary Case Search from time to time. I KNOW he had done it before and probably since, as he seemed so UNFAZED that I was crying and bleeding and leaving in torn clothing. And having me drive him to the dining hall, where he probably dined with his pregnant girlfriend*. The oddest thing that ever happened was that there was a Kevin Spacey movie (not naming it because of what I am about to say) in which a man witnessed his wife's rape. The rapist was named... first, middle and last names, and it was THE SAME AS THE GUY WHO RAPED ME! And not one I'd think very common. It's stuff like that... when the memory comes out of the blue... that it really hits hardest.

*Side note... by the time <modsnip:my> pregnancy test came back positive there was NO WAY I could report it, and felt even more victimized.

LisaB, I want to make sure I understand your post-so your children would bear no responsibility for their own actions until they attain the age of 18? TIA.

I think you know that isn't what I mean. However one can not enter into legally binding contracts, among other things, because their parents are supposed to be responsible for them until the milestone of "18".

OF COURSE if she skips school, my child is responsible for being truant (she has not done this) however I am considered responsible as well. I am responsible for her safety, well-being, and care. I MUST feed her, house her, clothe her. I am also expected to shape her into a responsible adult.

I think you know that isn't what I mean. However one can not enter into legally binding contracts, among other things, because their parents are supposed to be responsible for them until the milestone of "18".

OF COURSE if she skips school, my child is responsible for being truant (she has not done this) however I am considered responsible as well. I am responsible for her safety, well-being, and care. I MUST feed her, house her, clothe her. I am also expected to shape her into a responsible adult.

I didnt know, but thank you for clarifying.

Well perhaps some of the possible additional charges will be leveled at the parents and guardians of the perps. If there is no criminal recourse, perhaps JD and her family will find some civil recourse if these families are legally responsible for the actions of these offenders.

I didnt know, but thank you for clarifying.

Well perhaps some of the possible additional charges will be leveled at the parents and guardians of the perps. If there is no criminal recourse, perhaps JD and her family will find some civil recourse if these families are legally responsible for the actions of these offenders.

While the victim and her family certainly could pursue a civil action against various people, from the family's recent comments, it doesnt sound like that is likely. Sounds like they want to move on with life. A civil action would be very messy and even more traumatic for the victim than the criminal trial.

Since juvenile sex offender registration has come up, I thought I'd post some information for you all, since it is a bit different from adult sex offender registration.

Juvenile sex offenders cannot be required to register for life, after a ruling by the Supreme Court. This is sort of tricky. There is a Tier III lifetime registration for juveniles, but Tier III for juveniles does offer an option for declassification or reclassification. A juvenile cannot register for life without this option.
http:///ohio-juvenile-sex-offender-ruling-spotlights-national-policy/82025

A classification hearing is held to determine whether a juvenile must register, and for how long. If a juvenile is being committed, this hearing is held at the time of release, unless they have a prior record of sexually oriented offenses. I encourage anyone who is interested in how juvenile registration works in Ohio to check out this link:
http://www.opd.ohio.gov/Juvenile/JV_SB10Overview.pdf

Only Tier III juvenile offenders have community notification. While all juvenile sex offenders' information is available through a public records request, it is not published to the community and not as highly publicized as adults. You won't see them on the Sheriff's website. This is due to the juvenile philosophy of rehabilitation. Furthermore, juvenile offenders do not have residency restrictions. After a period of time, juveniles can petition to be reclassified to a lower tier, or be removed from the list. Usually, you must make a good showing of cause for this - rehabilitation, therapy, volunteer work, etc. etc. The prosecutor is given the opportunity to oppose this as well.

So, for those who are stating that the sex offender registration is unduly oppressive, that's not the case. For juveniles, sex offender registration in Ohio is more flexible than the adult, as there is the hope that perhaps some of these offenders may be rehabilitated with proper treatment. It's not a perfect system, but these defendants are not "ruined" for life. They are being punished, rightfully so. However, there is an opportunity for them down the road to declassify themselves, so it's hardly a life sentence.

Forgive my ignorance, but what DNA was found? I remember reading a crude comment about "a wang in the butt" so I'm wondering if they anally assaulted her too?
There was a blanket taken from the basement of the third house by LE. That blanket was tested and was found to have 3 separate DNA (semen) samples. One was ID's as MR's (I think - could have TM's) but the other two was just presented as "unidentified".

I found that very strange - especially since it was being introduced in a courtroom during a trial. They just focused on the one that was ID's as one of the defendants. But still, I would seriously want to know who the other two were - wouldn't you? Wouldn't a jury? Wouldn't both the defense and the prosecution? Why there were no further legal steps taken to compel samples from others - IDK.

I was just wondering if a GJ would have the authority to compel DNA samples? I don't think so - but then again, could be.

HTH

JMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79