GUILTY OH - Steubenville Rape Case, 11 Aug 2012 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I know when I was in college it happened at my roommates frat parties every weekend

Oh my gosh! Do you think the Steubenville case is leading to more awareness? Or do you think it is coming from Penn State?

Does this kind of stuff really happen every weekend in America? I'm flabbergasted.

What the heck is going on? There is also a case in CN.

I'll start a thread in Crimes Spotlight on Children for this NC case.

Salem

ETA: Started a thread here: NC-4 teens chrgd w/2nd Dgre rape of mntlly incapicated & physically helpless girl - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Yes, this happens every weekend in America and probably other parts of the world. I know it happened when I was a teenager.

I think there is more awareness because of social media. The kids are posting pictures of their crimes and writing about it. Back in the day, you were just the drunk girl with a fuzzy memory of what happened, afraid to come forward because who is going to believe the girl who can't even really remember herself what happened.

Hate the tag line if the 20/20 show: two football players, a DRUNK girl, etc. so the rapists are athletes, the victim is a drunken *advertiser censored*. Man this pisses me off to no end.

It is really shocking to me the number of kids in this case that said they didnt know that this was a crime. Didnt know that digitial penetration was rape, didn't know that stripping and filming someone was illegal. Now, some of them are probably just saying that for legal reasons, but I think quite a few really didnt know. I grew up in a small town (smaller than Steubenville), very conservative, and even back then we had better information than kids today.

There is a Facebook event advertising a rally "WE STAND BEHIND RENO SAC" scheduled for 4pm on March 30th. I think it is the same organizer as the Stand Up for Steubenville Rally(ies) held earlier in the year. So far there are 140 people who say they will attend. It will be held at the Harding Field House.

Perhaps the local news will cover the rally. It does not mention if Reno will be in attendance. The description says,

"This man does alot for kids, you cannot blame a coach for the actions of a few kids!"

I wonder if this is a preemptive legal-support rally, or if people in the community feel it is necessary to combat negative press (literal and word-of-mouth) about Reno. Freedom of speech and freedom of assembly are essential tools belonging to all citizens. Will this rally help the town recognize and repair issues with teen drinking and sexual assault? Will more people attend than the 18 or so that were noted to have attended the district wide sexual assault awareness training for Steubenville parents?

There is a Facebook event advertising a rally "WE STAND BEHIND RENO SAC" scheduled for 4pm on March 30th. I think it is the same organizer as the Stand Up for Steubenville Rally(ies) held earlier in the year. So far there are 140 people who say they will attend. It will be held at the Harding Field House.

Perhaps the local news will cover the rally. It does not mention if Reno will be in attendance. The description says,

"This man does alot for kids, you cannot blame a coach for the actions of a few kids!"

I wonder if this is a preemptive legal-support rally, or if people in the community feel it is necessary to combat negative press (literal and word-of-mouth) about Reno. Freedom of speech and freedom of assembly are essential tools belonging to all citizens. Will this rally help the town recognize and repair issues with teen drinking and sexual assault? Will more people attend than the 18 or so that were noted to have attended the district wide sexual assault awareness training for Steubenville parents?

BBM
This makes me shake my head and clench my jaw....

Found this on Slate.com

I think this is a more PC version of what, imo, is one of the best public information campaigns ever:
http://www.rapecrisisscotland.org.uk/workspace/uploads/files/rcs%5Btopten%5Dposta4fin.pdf

RCS-TopTen-postA4FINweb.jpg

Number 6 is my favorite.

Oh my gosh! Do you think the Steubenville case is leading to more awareness? Or do you think it is coming from Penn State?

Does this kind of stuff really happen every weekend in America? I'm flabbergasted.

What the heck is going on? There is also a case in CN.

I'll start a thread in Crimes Spotlight on Children for this NC case.

Salem

ETA: Started a thread here: NC-4 teens chrgd w/2nd Dgre rape of mntlly incapicated & physically helpless girl - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

I think more awareness and coming from Penn State.

This is more than a little disturbing. This guy, Royal Mayo, a former President of the Steubenville NAACP has given an interview to International Business Times placing the blame for the rape case on the 16-year-old victim.

"Mayo, who said he knows Richmond personally, tells a sordid tale about Steubenville and its racial dynamic and history of corruption. For him, the story does not end with the conviction of two teens for sexual assault. Yet some of his claims clash with the official account of the case."

I happen to think he is way off base with his claims and allegations, but having followed the case fairly closely from the beginning, but not immersing myself into the trial, I am wondering where in the world did his claim in the next paragraph came from? Does anyone know?

"In a phone interview with the International Business Times, Mayo described the 16-year-old girl as the “alleged victim” and said she might have been having consensual sex. “She said her mother brought her to the party, at 3 o'clock, with a bottle of vodka,”Mayo said. “Where did you get it, young lady? You brought it from home? Where’d you get it? You came to the party with your mother.”"

Huh? Does anyone know? Was anything like that testified to in the trial?

The IBTimes article

This is more than a little disturbing. This guy, Royal Mayo, a former President of the Steubenville NAACP has given an interview to International Business Times placing the blame for the rape case on the 16-year-old victim.

"Mayo, who said he knows Richmond personally, tells a sordid tale about Steubenville and its racial dynamic and history of corruption. For him, the story does not end with the conviction of two teens for sexual assault. Yet some of his claims clash with the official account of the case."

I happen to think he is way off base with his claims and allegations, but having followed the case fairly closely from the beginning, but not immersing myself into the trial, I am wondering where in the world did his claim in the next paragraph came from? Does anyone know?

"In a phone interview with the International Business Times, Mayo described the 16-year-old girl as the “alleged victim” and said she might have been having consensual sex. “She said her mother brought her to the party, at 3 o'clock, with a bottle of vodka,”Mayo said. “Where did you get it, young lady? You brought it from home? Where’d you get it? You came to the party with your mother.”"

Huh? Does anyone know? Was anything like that testified to in the trial?

The IBTimes article

That's way off base. I've never heard that before. He's been talking to the defense attorneys or some of the :censored: kids who are defending the guys who were convicted.

That's way off base. I've never heard that before. He's been talking to the defense attorneys or some of the :censored: kids who are defending the guys who were convicted.

OMG that dude is unbelievable. If he's an NCAA liaison, he should be reported to headquarters.... Hmmmm...

OMG that dude is unbelievable. If he's an NCAA liaison, he should be reported to headquarters.... Hmmmm...

The NAACP already has condemned his statements. I saw that earlier this morning.

"The NAACP abhors the remarks attributed to Royal Mayo regarding the rape victim in the Steubenville. The remarks are Mayo's own, and do not reflect the position of the NAACP and its membership."

The NAACP added, "Rape is a despicable crime of violence. The NAACP understands that comments that blame victims for the actions of their attackers contribute to and perpetuate a culture of acquaintance to rape. The NAACP advocates strongly for a society where victims of rape and sexual assault come forward and seek legal redress without further retribution from the community, media or society at large."

http://www.ibtimes.com/naacp-condem...s-former-steubenville-president-audio-1159749

that was essentially the defense argument. The challenge is that there is no such thing as consensual sex when you are unconscious and drunk.

This adult is no more than the same kind of hateful bully than the girls arrested for the threats. What pi$$es me off about him is that the police wont be picking him up for his base, crass, victim blaming drivel.

Apparently Mayo is now denying that he made the controversial statements to IBTimes in an interview with Sara Yingling for WTRF

In response to those claims, IBTimes is releasing a portion of the audio interview with Mayo and his statements about the victim.

If the audio is in fact from the interview he did with IBN, he clearly made the statement about arriving at the party at 3pm with her mother, etc.

From the article provided above by AnaTeresa (thank you):

http://www.ibtimes.com/naacp-condem...s-former-steubenville-president-audio-1159749

[video=youtube;eZxv5WCWivM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZxv5WCWivM[/video]

http://www.timesleaderonline.com/pa...tion-supports-Big-Red-grid-boss.html?nav=5010

Petition supports Big Red grid boss
March 29, 2013
DAVE GOSSETT - For The Times Leader , Times Leader

"A rally that had been planned for Saturday to support Saccoccia has been postponed until later this month after a special grand jury meets to investigate all aspects of a rape case that has brought national and international attention to the city and the high school football team, organizers said Wednesday."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem
Back