Match! OH - Strongsville, WhtFem UP15394, 15-25, in Rocky River, Feb'75 - Linda Pagano

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi all...great info on another local UID that I have never heard of!! I was the one that got the info from Lt. Sylvis regarding the Euclid UID...I was hoping the case file would have some more information regarding the other people that were with him that day. Although I do work in law enforcement (police dispatcher for a local suburb) I unfortunately have to keep my sleuthing to non-classified resources:) In regards to the motels on Pearl Road/Rte 42 back in the 70's--there were tons. There are only about four left right now, but there were motels all up and down that area because it was the main route through the state before there were highways. I can't wait to read through the case file for this UID and see what in entails. Good work ice190!!

edited to add: I have no idea how to save the map view I was looking at, but if you follow this link, it should zero in on the area she was found...to the left side of the map you will see where the boys that discovered her lived on Maplelawn....in the green area in the middle you will see the Rocky River (with some sand bar areas visible in the satellite view) and the trestle bridge is on the right hand side. hope this works lol https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...2!3m1!1s0x8830eadbedc618bd:0x8216350a9d34948d

I can't tell from the map -- is the railroad trestle upstream from where the body was found?

According to the police report--the body was found 800 feet N of the railroad trestle at Eastland Road on the west bank of the river.

I can't tell from the map -- is the railroad trestle upstream from where the body was found?

Yes, the trestle is upstream by about 800ft of where she was found. The location is a few miles upstream of where the west and east (this) branch combine to form just Rocky River. It appears to be just before the 180° bend in the river on the satellite view.

Also, I believe the body was found on the east bank of the river, as was mentioned in at least one ranger statement, and the boys lived west of the river. Rangers had to cross the trestle to access her.

But the boys were also apparently hiking a bridal trail and there is one clearly visible on the east side; I don't know if there is or was one on the west side. River isn't too wide, just assume 800ft downstream of the trestle. All the ranger duty reports list a different distance, one up to 1200ft IIRC.

Confusing, and why I will be scouting that area when it's nice out.

I was wondering whether she could have been dropped off the trestle into the water, or have been standing on it when she was shot.

I thought that too carbuff. Maybe the gun is in the water under the trestle. Possible.

I did some online research concerning Scot’s Inn. Scot’s Inn was an Ohio based motel chain that operated in Ohio during the 1970’s. It was more of a luxury motel that had convention facilities, indoor pool, fine dining restaurant, and cocktail lounge that had name entertainment.

During the early 70’s, Scot’s Inn had motels in Columbus, Lima, Piqua, and Springfield. I believe the company that operated Scot’s Inn went out of business by the late 70’s.

I found two early 70’s Ohio newspaper articles that described Scot’s Inn in Ohio.

The ocr text of a February 1971 newspaper article from Hamilton, Ohio announced the opening of Scot’s Inn on the north side of Columbus and the planned construction of other Scot’s Inns in Ohio.

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/36165692/

The ocr text of a May 1972 newspaper article from Piqua, Ohio described the Scot’s Inn at Lima as a luxury motel and convention center located at Interstate 75 and Bluelick Road.

http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/42972424

Jazz musician Buddy Rich performed a show at the Scot’s Inn at Lima, Ohio in February 1974. A jazz musician who played with Buddy Rich described the Scot’s Inn at Lima as a local Ramada-ish hotel, with seating for about 250 people.

http://www.mikejamesjazz.com/br_clips.html

Ice90, if you make it to the library to research motels, you can also look at cross-cross directories where you can look at who lived at certain addresses close by.

You can also use the criss-cross directories to check those phone calls made from Scot's Inn on page 32 of the case file. Just to clarify, the gun WAS found in Allen county, not in Lodi, and the phone calls that were placed from the motel were to Cleveland phone numbers.

BTW, current prefixes come back to CWRU and downtown Cleveland areas.

BTW, I am amazed and impressed Ice90 by all the work you have done. welcome to Websleuths. I am also a Clevelander. I also wonder about the BWC campus being so close to there. Were there students targeted in that area during that time? Rapes etc? And this girl just happened to be in the area?

Just one more thought before I head off to work. Cuyahoga fair is in Berea the preceding August or early sept. That would draw people in from out of the area. Including carnies. A certain character comes to mind who is now being looked into as involved with the Lyons abductions in Maryland in march 1975. Which makes me all the more curious about the report of the girl from Massachusetts reported on the highway in brunswick. I have only skimmed the case file here. Do we know if that incident was the preceding fall or late summer? Around the time of the fair? Was there a band playing the fair that year that would have drawn someone there? The fact that the accent was mentioned as well bothers me.

Wow, Owuta, that's a great thought! Not sure anyone has mentioned the fair before. There were definitely shady things happening at fairs at that time; in fact, Carlene Brown disappeared from a rideo/fair type thing. As did Beverly Potts in the 50s.

Also, the prefixes coming back to CWRU, that's super coincidental. That girl on the highway bothers me too.

And thanks!:)

Just one more thought before I head off to work. Cuyahoga fair is in Berea the preceding August or early sept. That would draw people in from out of the area. Including carnies. A certain character comes to mind who is now being looked into as involved with the Lyons abductions in Maryland in march 1975. Which makes me all the more curious about the report of the girl from Massachusetts reported on the highway in brunswick. I have only skimmed the case file here. Do we know if that incident was the preceding fall or late summer? Around the time of the fair? Was there a band playing the fair that year that would have drawn someone there? The fact that the accent was mentioned as well bothers me.

Good thinking about the county fair and carnies. Strongsville is also near Medina County and Summit County. Does Medina and Summit Counties also have their county fair around the time that Cuyahoga County has their county fair?

You jogged my memory concerning carnies. Are there any shopping plazas near the park? The reason I'm asking this is that when I was a kid years ago, amusement park rides, carnival games, and concession stands would appear at a neighborhood shopping plaza for a few days during the warm weather months.

What about music concerts in the Cleveland-Akron area where well known bands played at? Were there any places that had outdoor concerts rather than indoor concerts?

I was also thinking about the railroad trestle. Was there any known hobo or homeless camps nearby along the railroad tracks back then?

Good thinking about the county fair and carnies. Strongsville is also near Medina County and Summit County. Does Medina and Summit Counties also have their county fair around the time that Cuyahoga County has their county fair?

You jogged my memory concerning carnies. Are there any shopping plazas near the park? The reason I'm asking this is that when I was a kid years ago, amusement park rides, carnival games, and concession stands would appear at a neighborhood shopping plaza for a few days during the warm weather months.

What about music concerts in the Cleveland-Akron area where well known bands played at? Were there any places that had outdoor concerts rather than indoor concerts?

I was also thinking about the railroad trestle. Was there any known hobo or homeless camps nearby along the railroad tracks back then?

Yes, Lake, Cuyahoga, Lorain, Medina, and I think Summit all have fairs within a month of each other usually. Medina would be the closest next to Cuyahoga.

As for shopping plazas, today there is a mall and strip malls all along 82 between 71 and Pearl. It's a very busy area now. A bit north going into Middleburg Heights there's more strip malls as well.

The main concert place besides venues downtown is off 77 I think, called Blossom but it might be a little far.

Not sure about hobo camps. Maybe I can ask Lt. Sylvis about that, if they had to shoo any out of the park. My aunts graduated from Berea and were around Doe's age, I'll be asking them of things!

I think what nerosleuth is referring to is what we call HOMEDAYS. Brunswick has this and I think Strongsville does as well. ........ Give me a sec. ......

A quick google search. Berea does. Strongsville... Not sure.

I think what nerosleuth is referring to is what we call HOMEDAYS. Brunswick has this and I think Strongsville does as well. ........ Give me a sec. ......

A quick google search. Berea does. Strongsville... Not sure.

Now that you say that; I do think I remember seeing fair stuff in the field by the police department this past year. Grafton also has a firemens' festival each labor day I think it is. Same type of stuff with carnies and food booths

I don't think she jumped or was pushed from anywhere - I think that would have caused a level of trauma to the skeleton that would almost certainly have been noted in the autopsy, no?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GibsonGirl
Back