Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope my post regarding a missing persons report didn't come across as ugly. I would never attack a victims family. I would really like to know how long she was in Ohio.The excitement of her (possibly) being ID'ed has gotten us off the track of the man with no arms. It is entirely possible that the girl seen with him and BG are in fact the same person. That avenue is probably our best bet for examining her last days and hopefully finding her killer.

Traveling door to door magazine sales attracted many free spirits and apparently harmed some too.
speculation, imo.
http://gawker.com/5025939/the-magazine-industrys-dirty-little-secret

OT: This is how my mum met my father. Shortly after her HS graduation, she answered a classified newspaper ad to sell magazine subscriptions door-to-door because it promised lots of travel, and my mom wanted to travel. My father was the one who put the ad in the paper. I'm sure the operation was shady, my mum was certain folks never got their magazines, but it was nothing like what's described in the article.

Woah , did anyone see the DNA project is supposed to make an annoucment , the other Website that we cant link has a family that has claimed her ....an I say it starts with an R?

The family is asking for privacy, I don't think we are supposed to be posting any names right now. Their posts were removed from Facebook because they were being harassed by others.

OT: This is how my mum met my father. Shortly after her HS graduation, she answered a classified newspaper ad to sell magazine subscriptions door-to-door because it promised lots of travel, and my mom wanted to travel. My father was the one who put the ad in the paper. I'm sure the operation was shady, my mum was certain folks never got their magazines, but it was nothing like what's described in the article.

And there were legitimate magazine sales organizations as well. A friend of mine put herself through college that way.

M’s half-sister left a pretty detailed comment on the Facebook page. I'll paraphrase here but you can go check it out, it's on her post. Check Visitor Posts and scroll down a bit.

She says that they believed M was in a group or commune and that she hitchhiked everywhere and traveled a lot. She stayed with the half-sister's family in Kansas around July 1980. She left sometime after that (sounds like later in 1980) and went to Arkansas, Illinois and Kentucky.

She also says in another comment that she thinks M went to high school in Arkansas or Kentucky and that she can find out where she went to school. She also remembers that Marcia graduated from high school in 1977 or 1978.

The comment about being part of a commune makes me wonder if she was part of The Way International. It's a cult that is headquartered in New Knoxville, OH about 40 minutes from where she was found. Followers were encouraged to hitchhike everywhere.

The comment about being part of a commune makes me wonder if she was part of The Way International. It's a cult that is headquartered in New Knoxville, OH about 40 minutes from where she was found. Followers were encouraged to hitchhike everywhere.

That's an interesting speculation, given the geographical distance from where she was found. Additionally, if she were disenfranchised from her family, a group of this nature might have provided a sense of community.

That's an interesting speculation, given the geographical distance from where she was found. Additionally, if she were disenfranchised from her family, a group of this nature might have provided a sense of community.
According to wikipedia:
A yearly gathering of Way followers in*New Knoxville, Ohio, known as "The Rock of Ages Festival," was a Way event that took place from 1970 until 1995, when it was discontinued.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Way_International

New Knoxville, Ohio is only 40 minutes from where she was found. Also interesting is this "community" also had a location in Kansas. It is also stated on wikipedia that they did odd jobs when they were not in class.

If you read the wikipedia link above, there is some more interesting info, but I don't want to post names as no one has been considered a suspect yet. But there were accusations of sexual misconduct.

IMO, if she was a part of this, she may have known something she shouldn't and maybe threatened to expose them. And maybe this led to her murder.

Mods: if this needs to be edited in any way, please do so. I have brain fog right now, and trying to go by the TOS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

I'm in Ohio less than 20 miles from Troy. New Knoxville is not far either. The festival was in August every year. We'd occasionally hear things about it in the news of the day. The Way is different today. The original leader in BG's day was a David Koresh type of guy. Typical of these cult leaders who claim to be prophets is they are sex addicts and any woman any time must submit to them. No one but leaders can make even the smallest decision of their own. Women totally subservient to male leaders. I don't believe they were free to come and go. When original leader died there was discord and upheaval. The the person he named as his successor was ousted and The Way went in a different direction. Not sure she would have been free to come and go back in her day if she was in such a cult.

Is someone saying she is not M, and another family says she's someone else? Am I allowed to ask this, I'm confused. If the first family posted on FB, then took everything down and asked privacy, how didn't they see BGs FB page that's been up a while?

I'm in Ohio less than 20 miles from Troy. New Knoxville is not far either. The festival was in August every year. We'd occasionally hear things about it in the news of the day. The Way is different today. The original leader in BG's day was a David Koresh type of guy. Typical of these cult leaders who claim to be prophets is they are sex addicts and any woman any time must submit to them. No one but leaders can make even the smallest decision of their own. Women totally subservient to male leaders. I don't believe they were free to come and go. When original leader died there was discord and upheaval. The the person he named as his successor was ousted and The Way went in a different direction. Not sure she would have been free to come and go back in her day if she was in such a cult.
Onfortuneswheel mentioned earlier that they were encouraged to hitchhike everywhere. That's what I was going by. It was also mentioned that maybe she did odd jobs, which they did at The Way.

I was just looking at another explanation for her murder that, as far as I know hasn't been mentioned yet. It is interestiny, to me anyway. But, this explanation is MOO. :)

A family has officially claimed her? I didn't know that DNA Doe was supposed to make an announcement.

Onfortuneswheel mentioned earlier that they were encouraged to hitchhike everywhere. That's what I was going by. It was also mentioned that maybe she did odd jobs, which they did at The Way.

I was just looking at another explanation for her murder that, as far as I know hasn't been mentioned yet. It is interestiny, to me anyway. But, this explanation is MOO. :)

Could be. I'm just not sure of day to day life. Was speculating on whether they would be free to visit family and travel around. There is a book out by a woman who left The Way called "Undertow My escape from the fundamentalism and cult control of The Way International". I haven't read it but it may be interesting

Could be. I'm just not sure of day to day life. Was speculating on whether they would be free to visit family and travel around. There is a book out by a woman who left The Way called "Undertow My escape from the fundamentalism and cult control of The Way International". I haven't read it but it may be interesting
I was wondering the same thing about their day to day life at that time. Thanks for the book recommendation, I will definitely look into getting that. It sounds interesting to me as well.

A family has officially claimed her? I didn't know that DNA Doe was supposed to make an announcement.
Nothing official, no, and not from DNA Doe. There's a strong rumor of a possible match but it will need to be investigated and confirmed by CODIS DNA. The potential family released some information, then requested privacy, so we can't talk about much here.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I read about the hitchhiking on a forum of people who were formerly part of The Way International. They talk about how they were instructed to hitchhike across the country and in between campuses as a way of spreading the religion.

I read about the hitchhiking on a forum of people who were formerly part of The Way International. They talk about how they were instructed to hitchhike across the country and in between campuses as a way of spreading the religion.
That may explain how she got to Troy, OH. Thank you for finding out that bit of information.

Also, I was wondering about the bar she was supposedly seen at. I wonder if it was frequented by truck drivers, or was it just a local bar? It would be interesting to know.

Thanks, that book does look interesting!
https://www.amazon.com/Undertow-Escape-Fundamentalism-Control-International/dp/0997874708
cache.php

cache.php

Is someone saying she is not M, and another family says she's someone else? Am I allowed to ask this, I'm confused. If the first family posted on FB, then took everything down and asked privacy, how didn't they see BGs FB page that's been up a while?

DNA Doe Project uploaded her DNA to GEDmatch where apparently there was a match. Family was called by LE Good Friday. Her siblings posted on BG's FB page then removed everything because of harassment. The match is not official until DNA is run thru CODIS. We're waiting on a statement from LE.

Unless someone does what we do they're not going to see Doe FB posts or pages. BG's page only has 1,141 likes. I run Cali's page which only has 2,300 likes. I co-own another page that has 50,000 likes but I can't say how many of them saw Grateful Doe, Cali or BG.While BG has has her share of press due to pollen and isotopes it may not have hit family and even if it did, she was not seen with the buckskin jacket so family would not have had an ah-ha moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SleuthyMcSnoop