Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed that, of the very few online articles about BG I found, most of them implied that she was Native American. They say that because of the jacket and braids. I really don't think either of those things necessarily speak much to her cultural background although I do think the jacket may be recognized by someone.

I have a faux-suede jacket with fringe (no beading, nothing of that sort--very simple), which I purchased at a popular clothing store for young women. I was wearing it a couple weeks ago to school. I was approached by a teacher, who said something to the effect of "Did you get that on a reservation? You Indians are so unique!" in a genuine voice. I was confused--I am mostly white, 1/4 Asian, and have very pale, almost ghostly, skin, and not a drop of NA blood. I told her no, I am not NA, and she looked confused.

Anyway, point in case is, people's clothing/hairstyles may just be something they like. I know that's been discussed but I was really surprised at how much the article was trying to force the "Native American prostitute" angle.

Sounds like your teacher is mixed up thinking your 1/4 Asian is actually Indian. You remind me of one of my best friends in high school (early 80's) who was 1/2 Asian and 1/2 Irish.

Here is the article below. Has anyone worked on a question list? Would be nice to know if she had any shovel teeth and if they would consider doing genealogy testing. It's the only way to find her heritage; possibly connect her to someone that has a family tree. There's a new show on TLC by Ancestry called Long Lost Family where adoptees and birth parents are trying to find each other. For some they use records, for others they submit DNA to ancestry. I believe they should be able to use the raw data from UNT.

I have a similar scar under my chin from an ice skate blade. I wonder if she got hers the same way. Ice and roller skating were pretty popular back in the late 70's. We were on an ice skating trip with school, someone pushed another person that went flying, I got knocked down, someone's blade went in under my chin.

Buckskin jacket key to solving cold case March 26, 2012 10:41 AM MST

It has been speculated by many that this unidentified woman was perhaps of Indian heritage, after all she had the buckskin, Indian-style poncho and her hair fashioned into braids tied with blue rubber bands on both sides of her head. She also had the appearance of possibly having some American Indian heritage in her family background. It has also been theorized that perhaps she was a late bloomer in the hippie lifestyle that so enraptured the United States in the 1960s and 1970s. Could it be that the Indian look was a sort of gimmick to pick up potential male customers while working the truckstops of Ohio?

The woman was about 5 feet 6 inches tall and weighed 130 pounds, in her late teens to mid-20s with reddish-brown hair plaited into thick pigtails. She was wearing a brown and orange turtleneck sweater, Wrangler brand jeans and a very distinctive, handmade suede jacket with a purple satin lining. She had a freckled complexion and a seven-eighths inch scar under her chin. Additionally she had a two-inch scar on the thumb side of her left wrist, a one-inch scar on the palm side of her left wrist, and a small birth mark on front of her upper left thigh. All of her teeth were in good condition and she still had all four wisdom teeth.

Not relevant to the discussion right now, but I feel pretty strongly that she is not listed on any public websites as a MP. That is driving me crazy. I keep freaking out that no one will ever submit her to NamUs, Charley, Doe, etc. and she will never get identified. After all, that is pretty much the only way; am hoping the articles for the anniversary reach them, they make the connection. Maybe it could be a Tammy Jo Alexander-type scenario where a high school friend submits her to NamUs; but that would be pretty random and I'm trying not to hope on that. And I feel the moment she is entered as a MP on NamUs/Charley, there will be hundreds of emails submitting her as a possible match for Buckskin Girl. She was really very distinctive looking (I feel like her eyes especially were; she had pretty deep eye creases, at least it appears so to me, and long, pretty eyelashes) and I honestly feel like none of the currently-listed missing women even come close to that look.

I noticed that, of the very few online articles about BG I found, most of them implied that she was Native American. They say that because of the jacket and braids. I really don't think either of those things necessarily speak much to her cultural background although I do think the jacket may be recognized by someone.

I have a faux-suede jacket with fringe (no beading, nothing of that sort--very simple), which I purchased at a popular clothing store for young women. I was wearing it a couple weeks ago to school. I was approached by a teacher, who said something to the effect of "Did you get that on a reservation? You Indians are so unique!" in a genuine voice. I was confused--I am mostly white, 1/4 Asian, and have very pale, almost ghostly, skin, and not a drop of NA blood. I told her no, I am not NA, and she looked confused.

Anyway, point in case is, people's clothing/hairstyles may just be something they like. I know that's been discussed but I was really surprised at how much the article was trying to force the "Native American prostitute" angle.

I bought hubby one of those jackets SR. I don't think it relates to her being NA either. I am Cherokee and would really be interested to find out if she had the shovel teeth.

Not relevant to the discussion right now, but I feel pretty strongly that she is not listed on any public websites as a MP. That is driving me crazy. I keep freaking out that no one will ever submit her to NamUs, Charley, Doe, etc. and she will never get identified. After all, that is pretty much the only way; am hoping the articles for the anniversary reach them, they make the connection. Maybe it could be a Tammy Jo Alexander-type scenario where a high school friend submits her to NamUs; but that would be pretty random and I'm trying not to hope on that. And I feel the moment she is entered as a MP on NamUs/Charley, there will be hundreds of emails submitting her as a possible match for Buckskin Girl. She was really very distinctive looking (I feel like her eyes especially were; she had pretty deep eye creases, at least it appears so to me, and long, pretty eyelashes) and I honestly feel like none of the currently-listed missing women even come close to that look.

This has long been my fear too - that no one is looking for her.

That is the longest list of rule outs I have ever seen. 200 at this point!

Yep--so glad they are continually updating it! This helps avoid confusion about who is ruled out and proves people are still working on her case.

OK, I know she has been mentioned several times, but Patricia Salamandyk. I didn't see her on the rule out list, unless I missed it? I know that with the timing and circumstances that it might be a stretch, but to me, in my untrained eye, the resemblance with the post mortem pics is certainly there.

OK, I know she has been mentioned several times, but Patricia Salamandyk. I didn't see her on the rule out list, unless I missed it? I know that with the timing and circumstances that it might be a stretch, but to me, in my untrained eye, the resemblance with the post mortem pics is certainly there.

I know--they look just like each other. She's not on NamUs because she's Canadian, so even if she is ruled out, she won't be on the rule-out list.

Has she been submitted? Does anyone here know?

I know--they look just like each other. She's not on NamUs because she's Canadian, so even if she is ruled out, she won't be on the rule-out list.

Has she been submitted? Does anyone here know?

Yes, I recently submitted inquiries about the possible match to NamUs, the Miami County Coroner's office and the RCMP, mainly to find out if she had been ruled out already. I'm sure I'm not the first person to bring her to their attention in regards to this case, but I wanted to know for sure. Her name has been mentioned a few times over the past several years, but I didn't see where anyone had actually submitted it and if she had been officially ruled out. If they had, I didn't see it posted here and no one mentioned that she had been ruled out when I pointed out the similarities between the two a few weeks ago. So, I decided I would reach out and find out.
I haven't heard back from anyone yet with a yes or no, but the NamUs representative said she would check with the case manager and the RCMP said they would be in touch if they had questions. I sent the RCMP a comparison of the postmortem photo and Patricia's portrait, pointing out the similar markings because I'm almost 100% convinced that Patricia is BG, regardless of the time span between disappearance and discovery.
I also asked the NamUs rep if it were possible to add her name to the rule out list even though she is Canadian in the case it turns out not to be her, to save them from having to repeat themselves over and over again, LOL.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Patricia's DNA was available until recently. Her case was reopened last summer.

That is the longest list of rule outs I have ever seen. 200 at this point!

This case in VA has 491 rules: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6642
I nearly fell off my chair when I saw how many. It has some of the least potential; they have no picture and only a torso and a leg, no head or hands. Not sure how they have come up with hair color unless they found some strands of hair.

I also asked the NamUs rep if it were possible to add her name to the rule out list even though she is Canadian in the case it turns out not to be her, to save them from having to repeat themselves over and over again, LOL.
I could be wrong, but I don't think Patricia's DNA was available until recently. Her case was reopened last summer.

Brilliant question to ask namus :)

Pretty sure Salamandyk hasn't been ruled in or out before because she lacked identifiers until recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member