Identified! OH - Troy, Miami Co., 'Buckskin Girl' WhtFem 133UFOH, 15-25, Apr'81 - Marcia King

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just my two cents....I still think she may be from Canada....caught ride with trucker heading south on I-75 and last stop before I-70/I-75 interchange would have been Ludlow Falls exit (in the 80's). There might have been warehouse business at that exit or just a few miles north of the exit is Cargill (which was in exsitence in '81). I just feel that leaving her in the middle of the night and catching I-70 in either direction would have left the crime miles behind and no direction to look. I have been down that road at night and not only is it very dark but there is hardly a house in sight. I turned my headlights off and it was completely black all around...sure that in the 80's it would have been just as remote. Also I had a "short career driving truck" and if the road is the same as it was in '81...it is quite easy to navigate. I sure hope there is some closure soon!

I think she's from Canada, too, but not with quite the same scenario.

Have to run to an appointment, why do you guys think she's from Canada?

Although these things could also indicate someone from the US or anywhere for that matter, these are some reasons why Buck might be Canadian, imo. fwiw.
Quick, top of my head thoughts for now..
British type colouring - ethnicity widely represented in Canada, especially Eastern provinces.
No pierced ears, for same as above reason.
Clothing not atypical for western Canada and trendy in big cities like Montreal, Toronto.
Difficulty in finding match.

Although these things could also indicate someone from the US or anywhere for that matter, these are some reasons why Buck might be Canadian, imo. fwiw.
Quick, top of my head thoughts for now..
British type colouring - ethnicity widely represented in Canada, especially Eastern provinces.
No pierced ears, for same as above reason.
Clothing not atypical for western Canada and trendy in big cities like Montreal, Toronto.
Difficulty in finding match.

Look at Cali, Grateful Dead Fan; famous cases recently solved. BG hasn't had much press

Look at Cali, Grateful Dead Fan; famous cases recently solved. BG hasn't had much press

Hopefully, if everyone here and elsewhere, keeps plugging away at this and other under represented cases, these discarded, nameless people will be identified one day soon.imo.

GDF had a lot of press; a FB page as well as an event, we shared him on our FB page a lot too, none of which the right person saw. There were also various recons done that looked nothing alike. As we now know, the original sketch resembled Jason the most. With Cali, her recon was inaccurate showing her nose pushed up too high. Finally it took Tammy's NamUs profile going online for Carl to catch.

Hopefully, if everyone here and elsewhere, keeps plugging away at this and other under represented cases, these discarded, nameless people will be identified one day soon.imo.

She's one of my main cases, we've been sharing her on Never Forget Me as much as we can. She had one video and one article, Buckskin jacket key to solving cold case that has a sketch (attached below) that I feel is inaccurate. I'm praying that the recent articles along with a future article after isotopes are done that we'll be able to target the right area to have the right person see her.

Police in Miami County nicknamed the unidentified woman "The Buckskin Girl" because of a hand-made, buckskin, fringed poncho.The poncho was tan brown in color and made of leather. It was a pullover-style, hoodless poncho with a purple satin liner. At the time and even now, authorities thought that this may be the most important clue as to the young woman's identity, but the poncho's origin has never been traced.

It has been speculated by many that this unidentified woman was perhaps of Indian heritage, after all she had the buckskin, Indian-style poncho and her hair fashioned into braids tied with blue rubber bands on both sides of her head. She also had the appearance of possibly having some American Indian heritage in her family background. It has also been theorized that perhaps she was a late bloomer in the hippie lifestyle that so enraptured the United States in the 1960s and 1970s. Could it be that the Indian look was a sort of gimmick to pick up potential male customers while working the truckstops of Ohio?
ff2cd36f108a2bc405a595528f0dc69b.png

GDF had a lot of press; a FB page as well as an event, we shared him on our FB page a lot too, none of which the right person saw. There were also various recons done that looked nothing alike. As we now know, the original sketch resembled Jason the most. With Cali, her recon was inaccurate showing her nose pushed up too high. Finally it took Tammy's NamUs profile going online for Carl to catch.

She's one of my main cases, we've been sharing her on Never Forget Me as much as we can. She had one video and one article, Buckskin jacket key to solving cold case that has a sketch (attached below) that I feel is inaccurate. I'm praying that the recent articles along with a future article after isotopes are done that we'll be able to target the right area to have the right person see her.

attachment.php

Thank you for posting about her so much on NFM.

I really feel as though so many of her original recons rest heavily on the braids for resemblance. This one doesn't look too much like her--wish they used a different recon for the article. This one isn't as inaccurate as the first version without braided hair, where her hair appears very short and there isn't any kind of resemblance. I'm trying not to sound overly critical of the artist, but I just thought it was pretty bad. (The one farthest right on her Doe Net page).

I'm very pleased that her case has reached some people not in the online true crime community. I'm also happy to see the news of her case has spread to other members of Websleuths. Her case is my #1 pet case, and it's really touched my heart to see how she wasn't forgotten. Her case is just perplexing, complex, and plain sad.

Eagerly awaiting the isotope testing results!

Probably not her but I didn't see her name on the rule out list. She is from Alberta, last seen in January 1980 but not reported missing for about 3 1/2 years. Julie Ann Derouin. Believed to have been associated with the Ghost Riders MC. She was 7 months pregnant when she went missing, I don't remember if it was noted whether or not BG had ever carried a child. I didn't have much time to dig around, just saw this bit on info and thought I'd throw it out here what happens. I only saw one picture of her, it's just a head shot and her face seems a lot fuller than BG's, but I don't know if it was taken while she was pregnant , could explain the fullness and living on the road for several months could have slimmed her down. Like I said, I haven't taken the time to research more, just throwing this one out there.

Probably not her but I didn't see her name on the rule out list. She is from Alberta, last seen in January 1980 but not reported missing for about 3 1/2 years. Julie Ann Derouin. Believed to have been associated with the Ghost Riders MC. She was 7 months pregnant when she went missing, I don't remember if it was noted whether or not BG had ever carried a child. I didn't have much time to dig around, just saw this bit on info and thought I'd throw it out here what happens. I only saw one picture of her, it's just a head shot and her face seems a lot fuller than BG's, but I don't know if it was taken while she was pregnant , could explain the fullness and living on the road for several months could have slimmed her down. Like I said, I haven't taken the time to research more, just throwing this one out there.

I can actually see a resemblance. It was never confirmed whether BG had been pregnant or given birth, so I would think it'd be okay to submit women who went missing a while before while pregnant. Height is approx. 5'' off (NamUs/Doe Net says 5'4'-5'6, but the newspapers/original report/news articles say 5'6), but Julie's height could be remembered incorrectly. I don't see anything concrete that would rule her out. Something about her reminds me of BG...it's worth turning in, even if it's not her, it helps to rule out.

We have never seen a pic of BG wearing her clothes except for Carl's interpretation.
Back when BG was found was the generation of men that had long hair; many men knew how to braid hair. My 30yr old son has long hair, knows how to braid.

I can see that point. Though even when long hair was in its hair day errr... heyday, men knowing how to braid hair were a relatively small minority of the total male population. Likewise, though there are probably hundreds of thousands of men to today who know who to braid hair, I am guessing there are many millions of men who dont. Thus, my guess is that the odds of the murderer (presumably male) braiding her hair are small.
My friend who reminds me of BG has a daughter that's in 4H. It's alive and well in NJ.
I"ll agree that 4H is alive. I would not think it is doing well. The Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts etc have all had very steady and constant membership declines over the last generation. The culumaltive total of lost participants is significant. I dont know why 4-H would be any different. Though their web site claims 6 million members, I dont think they are over twice has big as the boy scouts.

I wish I knew where their membership claims come from. Anecdotally, I was a nominal participant in 4H. In my area, 4H started to fade in the late 1980s (though it is still alive there today).
I pretty much taught myself to sew leather back then, I was making small fringed bags, pants, chaps, vests, even a hat.
A friend with your interests could well be the source of her jacket. Though it is possible she made it, there were no other craft items found with her. Thus, I think it was a gift.

As a side note, I admire anybody with an interest in any kind of interest in traditional crafts. Hand skill is almost gone today. If you still sew and make leather garmets and want to earn some extra money, maybe consider making some items for sale at rennaisiance fairs. Leather and medieval style clothing would seem to offer some possibilities.

As a side note, I admire anybody with an interest in any kind of interest in traditional crafts. Hand skill is almost gone today.

My mom could do just about any craft well, whether it be sewing, knitting, crocheting, cross stitch, quilting, etc. If she saw something she liked at a craft fair, she would go home and make. Unfortunately, the craft gene passed over me. I lost count of all the times she tried to teach me to knit and crochet, and forget the sewing. After my blouse disaster in home-ec, I gave that up for good. So I admire anyone with these skills, too, because I can't do them.
I believe 4-H is alive an well here, at least the agricultural side of it is.

I don't know if it was nation wide, but here in Lafayette, La. we had a place called "The Leather Pouch" and they made and sold handcrafted leather and suede items. Purse, jackets, boots, you name it. They sold incense, candles, knick knacks, handmade jewelry, all kinds of stuff. I saved up babysitting money and bought a pair of black suede knee high moccasin boots for $64 in 1988-89? There is no tag inside of my boots at all, nothing stating size or maker. As far as I know, nothing they made had a tag? They had a huge customer base of high school and college students, bikers, wanna be hippies, literally everyone I knew went there. Maybe her jacket was picked up at a shop like that? This place has been open since 1969, so it may be likely that there were other places like this in other states.

Has anyone ever looked at Lynn Adel Oliver? Very long shot seeing as she was from Nova Scotia, but basically she was fearful of a man, went missing, was spotted a month later with him. He has been convicted of domestic violence multiple times it appears.

http://www.nampn.org/cases/oliver_lynn_adel.html

I don't know if it was nation wide, but here in Lafayette, La. we had a place called "The Leather Pouch" and they made and sold handcrafted leather and suede items. Purse, jackets, boots, you name it. They sold incense, candles, knick knacks, handmade jewelry, all kinds of stuff. I saved up babysitting money and bought a pair of black suede knee high moccasin boots for $64 in 1988-89? There is no tag inside of my boots at all, nothing stating size or maker. As far as I know, nothing they made had a tag? They had a huge customer base of high school and college students, bikers, wanna be hippies, literally everyone I knew went there.

Now that you mention it, Colorado Springs had a district with similar stores at that time that sold genuine handmade articles that you describe. The district also had a host of other head shops, record stores, a store or two selling outlandish knives, purported kung fu implements mixed with some soft core *advertiser censored*, and still others selling crystals and "genuine" meditational aids. These were followed by a fortune teller or two. My friends and I enjoyed wandering the area and gawking at the mechandise.

This district had been that way for years and was a popular destination for out of state hitch hiking youth, older drifters as well as local hippies, hippies at heart, street artists / vendors etc. It also had a small number of rougher hard drug users and psuedo bikers. Year by year, the district could range from 'eclectic' to somewhat 'seedy' depending on how the police were prioritizing enforcement.

Even in its periodic seedy years the area was not truly dangerous per se. If the victim was a hitch hiker, she would have felt comfortable there and could well have passed through. Likewise, it would have been the type of area where she could buy that jacket, probably find travelling friends / "friends" or catch a GreyHound.

Why do her Doe Net and NamUs pages now say she was found in Newton? Where did that come from? I can't even locate a Newton, OH. I can find a Newton Falls, OH, but it's 3.5 hours away, and not even in Miami County? Pardon my confusion, I am just so lost.

It has been speculated by many that this unidentified woman was perhaps of Indian heritage, after all she had the buckskin, Indian-style poncho and her hair fashioned into braids tied with blue rubber bands on both sides of her head. She also had the appearance of possibly having some American Indian heritage in her family background. It has also been theorized that perhaps she was a late bloomer in the hippie lifestyle that so enraptured the United States in the 1960s and 1970s. Could it be that the Indian look was a sort of gimmick to pick up potential male customers while working the truckstops of Ohio?

In my humble opinion I disagree with this idea (mostly) - I knew a couple women who partied a lot in the late 1970s - early 1980s & it was more common for working girls to have a "flashy" appearance, even in more rural areas. Also pimps don't tolerate "free spirit" types.

She might have been a working girl on vacation break but (again IMO) she is on the heavy side for a working girl.

In my humble opinion I disagree with this idea (mostly) - I knew a couple women who partied a lot in the late 1970s - early 1980s & it was more common for working girls to have a "flashy" appearance, even in more rural areas. Also pimps don't tolerate "free spirit" types.

She might have been a working girl on vacation break but (again IMO) she is on the heavy side for a working girl.

I disagree with this idea, too. I don't think she was NA or a prostitute. Not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mel18