GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
-Did LE remove the plumbing fixtures, etc. from the Herrmann home?

-Was there a prolonged presence there?

-I read of "the dungeon" that MH kept Sarah in. Is that literal or a guess at the quarters?

-Is there still a police presence at MH's house?

one of the neighbors had this to say about MH's basement

That basement where she was, it was so dark and dirty she [Hoffman’s ex-girlfriend] wouldn’t let the dog down there,” she said sobbing.

http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/10/11/16/neighbors-hoffman-eccentric-troubled

I can see how that translates into dungeon in someone's mind...(that's all I recall reading about descriptions of MH's basement).

Sometime back, one of our good members posted links to all of Sheriff Barber's pressers about this case. I would really like to listen to them all over again, but can't figure out how to find the links. Can someone help, please? TIA

ITA. At this point none of the media reports has proven to be completely reliable. (I say this with a bit of sarcasm, as a lot of it has been abysmally inaccurate.) I've tried to figure out every which way this awful crime could have taken place without one of the poor victims being able to escape and I keep coming up with different scenarios - each more horrific than the next. Will we ever get answers?

After the time elapsed and considering the condition of the remains, would the coroner be able to determine what time each death took place, thereby giving a sequence? Perhaps Sarah will eventually be able to shed some light on this, but in the meantime we're left with just guesses. And what a dreadful thing to speculate about!

JMO

We may never know the exact details unless MH discloses them. I doubt that the coroner can determine who died first since it was likely just a matter of minutes. Since we know that he used a knife to murder them it's likely many of the people here were right that he got to them one at a time. I don't see how he could have kept them together since he didn't have a gun. I hope that Sarah doesn't know the details for her sake. Did the reports say that MH was in the house when SM got home? I think I missed that info.

Michael Sprang, Stephanie's son, says in this video he's not "angry" & has "no hate towards anybody". He's waiting for LE to obtain all the evidence & for the entire story (did anyone know MH?) to be found out. I'm not sure how they'll ever know the answer to that now.

I honestly don't understand how he can feel this way re: the murder of his mom. It's not the first time I've heard something similar from a victim's family member. I'll never understand it tho. Hopefully, someone can help explain it to me?

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo...nox-county-missing-family-mourns.html?sid=102

5:20 mark

When your loved one is a victim of a violent crime...for a period, I like to think of it as God's Grace (Shock), where all you want is everything around you to slow down! You would forgive anyone anything, if you could just wrap your mind around what is going on!
There are families that forgive, and want help for the offender....I am very blessed as I never was faced with that choice, my husband's offender died!

I remember reading somewhere the the receipt was dated before the family was attacked and murdered, leading to PREMEDITATION. He had prepared for this, as I understand. I think it was a MIRACLE that he made a mistake and dropped the receipt somewhere.. either TH's truck or the TH's house (that is my thought, LE has not stated where the receipt was found, as I understand). But LE HAS said that the receipt helped in the investigation to find Sarah, and again, I have read (don't have link- have read SSSOOOO much) that the receipt was dated before the crime took place.

Thanks, Snap, but about the only thing I believe these days is what I personally have heard from the Sheriff's mouth. I don't trust the media because there have been so many conflicting reports about everything. Just quickly, I was able to find these:
A Walmart receipt listing Hoffman's purchase of trash bags, a tarp and other items led to his arrest and the discovery that he was holding Sarah Maynard captive. Authorities have not said where the receipt was found.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...SUR8J:www.dispatch.com/local_news/stories/201

0/11/18/1-searchers-fan-out-in-knox-county.html+hoffman+walmart+receipt&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=opera

Barber told reporters Tuesday that police had discovered a Walmart receipt for tarps, garbage bags and a T-shirt at Hoffman's home.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...receipt&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca&client=opera

This is why I'd like to listen to the pressers again.

JMO

Well, I guess when the reports of "an unusual amount of blood" were reported, it was an understatement! Trying to be polite, and respectful, I'm sure.
Sarah is very lucky to be alive, I feel it would of only been a matter of time, and she would of been dead too.
I feel so terrible for this family and community.

My heart goes out to the uncle that cleaned up so the son wouldn't see all of the horror.
I knew a man that did the same thing.
He only 1 loved one murdered, but he was never the same (PTSD) and died 6 months later of heart attack.

WARNING: Hi guys!

Please do not speculate about the gory details. What we know is gory enough. Friends and family may be reading here and we are a victim friendly board. I know it is difficult not to speculate, given the rumors that were posted at other websites, but please try for little Sarah, her remaining family and her friends.

Of course you may discuss the details that have been released.

Please let me know if you have any questions by way of pm.

Thanks,

Salem

went back several threads to see distance froms Hoffman's mom's house to Sarah's home. Any locals know where the school bus stops are in the area????????? It crossed my mind that he may have targeted this family by seeing the kid's at the bus stop. Still feel Sarah was the target of his obsession.... the other family members had to die to get Sarah.

I remember reading somewhere the the receipt was dated before the family was attacked and murdered, leading to PREMEDITATION. He had prepared for this, as I understand. I think it was a MIRACLE that he made a mistake and dropped the receipt somewhere.. either TH's truck or the TH's house (that is my thought, LE has not stated where the receipt was found, as I understand). But LE HAS said that the receipt helped in the investigation to find Sarah, and again, I have read (don't have link- have read SSSOOOO much) that the receipt was dated before the crime took place.

If he did shower at the house, and he did use clothes left over to leave the house, then I have a feeling that said receipt was left in a pocket of some sort.

Haven't read the last couple pages, but just saw the autopsy report. Here's a theory, if I may...MH entered the house and at some point killed Tina. Then as each victim arrived they were killed. I wonder if SS came over before or after the children arrived?

I only say this because of stab wounds to the back, he could have hid behind a door an took them unaware.

I was thinking they were trying to get away... :(

went back several threads to see distance froms Hoffman's mom's house to Sarah's home. Any locals know where the school bus stops are in the area????????? It crossed my mind that he may have targeted this family by seeing the kid's at the bus stop. Still feel Sarah was the target of his obsession.... the other family members had to die to get Sarah.
Around here all kids are picked up and dropped off door to door, has been like that for years. We don't have bus stops anymore...

Guess that would be bus to door. even if kids are only 1 or 2 blocks apart form each other.

Michael Sprang, Stephanie's son, says in this video he's not "angry" & has "no hate towards anybody". He's waiting for LE to obtain all the evidence & for the entire story (did anyone know MH?) to be found out. I'm not sure how they'll ever know the answer to that now.

I honestly don't understand how he can feel this way re: the murder of his mom. It's not the first time I've heard something similar from a victim's family member. I'll never understand it tho. Hopefully, someone can help explain it to me?

http://www.10tv.com/live/content/lo...nox-county-missing-family-mourns.html?sid=102

5:20 mark

Maybe he's in shock.

Has anyone seen or read any ideas of motive in this case? Yes, I understand that sociopaths/psychopaths do not think in the same way the rest of us do... however, I am curious as to what may have led MH to target that family. I know we have all conjectured about SH being a target (and others). But I am really wondering if anyone has heard/read anything regarding possible motive to stalk this family from locals or family members.

I just can't get my head around this thing. GOD bless all the families involved, as well as the entire community.

I'm starting to wonder if MH might have eaten enough of the squirrels, and particularly their brains, to have some form of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. If so, he'd be the first case I've heard of since we were informed of the dangers more than a dozen years ago. I'll have to read more, but I don't think we know a lot of 30 year olds these days who might have a steady diet of squirrel. Yes, it usually takes many years for it to show up. I realize that. File this under more weirdness, I suppose, but possibly relevant.

http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/cjd/detail_cjd.htm

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736%2805%2963333-8/fulltext

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper