GUILTY OH - Two women & child killed, 13yo abducted, Apple Valley, 10 Nov 2010 #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how he would have known that GB was going to be out of town. Knowing his schedule, maybe. If GB got off of work at 4 p.m. (think that's right?), he was probably usually home around 5-5:30, depending on traffic. I'll look up how far in a minute.

Probably didn't expect Stephanie, but she was tiny :(
If he was waiting on GB, it probably would have been an ambush, since I've read somewhere that he is ex-marine. But he might have already sized him up, and thought he was tougher. Who knows though.

I feel bad for GB. He was immediate suspect. He was with TH and the kids for 6 years, and that means since KH was 4-5 and SH was 7-8. He has to be feeling guilty, whether or not he should be. That was his home too (co-owner).

And nope, he could have been hidden and just not answered, *if* he was still there.

I do wonder how GB doing too...I feel bad for him and my prayers goes out to him too.

IMO the family was gone because during the wellness check the officer did not mention Tanner barking. I really think if he heard a dog barking he would reported that over the radio. JMO Ref: Scanner Feed
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119680&page=19

Have any of you seen the short(like 1.5 min.) video on YouTube about the tree(obviously photos from someone close to the case)? It really shows how large,tall, and totally hollow that tree was.

I'm quoting myself!This video on YouTube is titled "Missing Ohio family murder victims concealed inside hollow Beech tree" posted by TheOhioCountryBoy

you click on the little red triangle to report a post... word to the wise is don't attack back..

little red triangle is right next to the post number in the upper right hand corner

Also, Tina had not made it in to work for 2 days, it was on the 2nd day when she called the sheriff and asked for the wellness check. So that means then that the kids missed that day of school as well. (it was in an article somewhere)

Has anyone seen anymore pictures of Kody? I've just seen the one and would like to see another one or two - just to grieve a little more I guess.

Also, Tina had not made it in to work for 2 days, it was on the 2nd day when she called the sheriff and asked for the wellness check. So that means then that the kids missed that day of school as well. (it was in an article somewhere)

Has anyone seen anymore pictures of Kody? I've just seen the one and would like to see another one or two - just to grieve a little more I guess.

the wellness check was made Wed. nite (2 checks) - DQ worker called LE after Tina didn't show up for her shift.

Thurs. the DQ worker went to the house & saw the blood - and called LE again.

Only other one I have seen -
Beautiful family - keep them in your prayers
Oh I should of added -
It was said the date was wrong, it should have been Aug.

Attachments

• 22.jpg
    22.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 95
watched the you tube about the tree.....I still think it looked like any other tree in those woods......it reinforces MO that MH had been up in that tree previously....probably dreaming up what he could put in that tree.....it would take a heruculean effort to do it....I assume he had either a ladder or those crampon things that you wear when your're climbing a tree....

I still wonder how the cops found that particular tree....

watched the you tube about the tree.....I still think it looked like any other tree in those woods......it reinforces MO that MH had been up in that tree previously....probably dreaming up what he could put in that tree.....it would take a heruculean effort to do it....I assume he had either a ladder or those crampon things that you wear when your're climbing a tree....

I still wonder how the cops found that particular tree....

It's likely that there were drag marks or other disturbances on the ground and leaves that helped once the location was given.
That partiular tree was a good bit larger and taller than those surrounding it.

Does anyone know if there is still a court hearing tomorrow?

In one of my numerous readings of news stories and all the comments that follow- someone (I just can't recall now where I read this)stated that MH's father(or maybe step father) himself had a tree trimming business and MH learned all about all this from him.Also...somebody else said that outdoorsy type guys can identify those hollow beech trees readily, and from a distance, so perhaps MH told LE as precisely as possible from a jail cell where the tree was and a naturalist could quickly zero in on it.

Also quite possible that they took the search dogs with them, once they were given a more precise location? And they may of picked it up quite quickly.

It's likely that there were drag marks or other disturbances on the ground and leaves that helped once the location was given.
That partiular tree was a good bit larger and taller than those surrounding it.

Does anyone know if there is still a court hearing tomorrow?

According to today's Mount Vernon News, preliminary hearing tomorrow at 2:30...

"Matthew Hoffman remains on suicide watch at the Knox County Jail today where he is being held on a $1 million cash bond. Charged last week with the kidnapping of 13-year-old Sarah Maynard, Hoffman is scheduled to appear for his preliminary hearing on that charge in front of Mount Vernon Municipal Court Judge Paul Spurgeon, Tuesday afternoon at 2:30"

Also interesting in this article - "According to the Ohio State Fire Marshal’s Office, there is no indication of any connection between Hoffman and any fires in central Ohio".

http://www.mountvernonnews.com/local/10/11/22/fire-marshal-no-connection-with-hoffman

I agree,
I blame nothing on the welfare checks, or the investigation, LE, neighbors, or otherwise.

Sometimes it is terribly unfortunate but, you just can’t have people investigated because they are weird,
Quiet, loners, or eat squirrels. You can’t just break into a home, because you are sent to check on someone.
Without good probably cause, and not showing up for work, isn’t good enough cause on the first check.
Any of those tactics could just as easily be “misused” as well.
They did do a follow up check, so they were doing their job.

No one in their right mind would of imagined this! And if there were no outward signs, or previous reports, or incidents, nothing out of place, the officer did his job. I do kinda feel MH was in the home at that time, or back and fourth between his home and Tina’s at that time though.

We can imagine what might have happened if either Valerie, the manager of the DQ, or the deputy HAD investigated further. If Valerie had stopped instead of just driving by, and had knocked on the door and not getting a response had tried to enter the house.........she may have become a victim too. If the deputy, not expecting anything in the way of violence, but concerned someone might be injured or very ill, had entered the home..........he may have become overwhelmed by MH who was likely aware of the deputy's presence and lying in wait.

This could have turned out with 4 or 5 victims instead of three. I don't know what the answer is. 150 years ago, people had what was called "fire marks" on their homes. This was a plaque that was put on the outside of the house with an emblem on it that told firemen that this house was insured. The firemen fought extra hard to save an insured house back in the mid 1800s. Perhaps an emblem on the outside of the house, below the address, telling first responders that they have permission to enter?

CKay
I knew GB worked 80 miles away, I wonder if this was a fairly new job? Or if he had worked that far away for a large portion of the 6 year relationship? I believe his parents, friends, or something lived in the vicinity of his workplace. If he had worked at this location for a long period, it may of not been uncommon for him to have stayed over at parents or friends once in a while? 160 miles a day is a lot of driving.

I feel bad for him too. But everyone that is closest to the victims are considered suspects initially. GB was cleared quickly.

6 yrs. was a good portion of the children’s lives, I’m sure they were close to him, and he to them. It is said he will not be going back to the home. Of course! I hope he is able to help Sarah in anyway he can.

That home (Tina's) should be torn down. Really it should. Even re-modeled, I do not see how they could ever get anyone to move in there. Much less have to drive by it.
And it is said that MH’s home is 109 years old??? It didn’t look that old! But it should be leveled too.

I can only imagine purchasing Tina’s home ( or MH's) or renting as a new person in the community to find out the turn of events at a later date! I’d be more than a little upset!

Here in California, and in other states too, it's part of the real estate law that realtors must disclose to prospective buyers anything that's happened in the home that might be concerning to future inhabitants - deaths, crimes, etc.

Here in California, and in other states too, it's part of the real estate law that realtors must disclose to prospective buyers anything that's happened in the home that might be concerning to future inhabitants - deaths, crimes, etc.

Since it was about to go into foreclosure, it will be up to the bank to decide I suppose. Not sure about Ohio law on the subject.

Hope something's done before 20/20 or similar decide to do a big story on this case :(

At some point, Apple Valley Property Owners Association could take over the land. They own a lot of lots in AV, in reserve to be "common areas" (for everyone's use). But depending on value, I doubt our dues are high enough to cover that.

Could "I fed the dog" be a code between them????

What kind of a code? You mean like an "I'm in trouble and need help but can't say so"-type of code? Perhaps, but if this were the case then GB would have either come back home or alerted help. I must admit this "I fed the dog" text is kind of strange. It just seems unnecessary. Feeding the family dog is a daily or twice daily routine - why would TH need to tell GB that she did so? It's kind of like if she sent a text saying "I just washed the dishes". Ok....and the point is...? So although I don't think it was a code, it does seem suspicious.

This whole case is horrific and has kept me up the last 3 nights, since the bodies have been found. I think it's the most terrifying case I've read about here on WS.

What kind of a code? You mean like an "I'm in trouble and need help but can't say so"-type of code? Perhaps, but if this were the case then GB would have either come back home or alerted help. I must admit this "I fed the dog" text is kind of strange. It just seems unnecessary. Feeding the family dog is a daily or twice daily routine - why would TH need to tell GB that she did so? It's kind of like if she sent a text saying "I just washed the dishes". Ok....and the point is...? So although I don't think it was a code, it does seem suspicious.

This whole case is horrific and has kept me up the last 3 nights, since the bodies have been found. I think it's the most terrifying case I've read about here on WS.

Maybe since they were splitting up/fighting/arguing, him not feeding the dog (supposed to, but forgetting) was a sore spot and it was "I fed the dog AGAIN" type of thing. But who knows really.

This is off-topic, but it concerns going into a house without permission. A little more than a year ago, October 2009, we had neighbors who were in their late 70's. The wife flew to Chicago to visit relatives on her side of the family......the husband was home alone. The husband had a routine that was like clockwork - pick up the newspaper off the driveway and put it by the front door, and go for an hour long walk before 8:00am every morning.

On a Thursday morning, the neighbor across the street noticed that the newspaper was still on the driveway in the mid afternoon. He was concerned and he and my husband talked about it wondering if they should call someone. I suggested a wellness check. On Friday morning, the neighbor saw that there were now two newspapers on the driveway, and let himself in a gate to the backyard and peeked in windows. He didn't see any sign of disarray or the husband.

Our neighbor decided to call the police and request a wellness check and on his way back across the street to his house, he saw a car pull into the driveway, a man got out and let himself in the front door with a key. Within a few minutes, the police, fire dept., and emergency ambulance was there.

The husband had evidently had a massive heart attack in his sleep Wednesday night/Thursday morning. His wife, who was in Chicago had tired to call him sometime on Thursday and not getting a response on Friday morning either, called her daughter and son-in-law and asked them to go to the house to check on dad. It was the son-in-law our neighbor saw letting himself into the house, that found the husband unresponsive in bed.

I do wonder how GB doing too...I feel bad for him and my prayers goes out to him too.

IMO the family was gone because during the wellness check the officer did not mention Tanner barking. I really think if he heard a dog barking he would reported that over the radio. JMO Ref: Scanner Feed
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119680&page=19

I think so too. I think that by the time of the first wellness check, whatever had happened, had already happened. But, I think MH was still in the house and was waiting for the deputy to leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper