OH OH - William 'Bill' Comeans, 14, Columbus, 7 Jan 1980 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just Googled how long it takes to strangle someone to death. If my computer is ever searched I expect you all to vouch for me. :innocent: It can take just a couple of minutes,

This is really remarkable when you think about how tight the window was. All within the span of 45 mins. max. Bill was discovered outside alone, somehow manipulated into leaving his yard, strangled to death, left in a location not far from his own home and the assailant drives away (I'm assuming) without leaving any trace.

And all of this happening to a kid whose family was on heightened alert after two previous attacks. It's just really unbelievable the way that this was pulled off.

No one could know in advance how big or small the window would be. If father Comeans had stepped out of the garage at the very moment or a neighbor had passed ... BANG! this story would have ended very differently.
Fortune favours the bold, or so they say.
I think they came very prepared and they only wanted to grab him and get it over and done with - I'm not sure if they intended to kill Bill on the two previous occasions, but IMHO this time they did.
They may have been extra determined because the family had been effectively shielding Bill during the last two months. There is no knowing how many attacks the family have prevented, but there must have been. Very frustrating for someone who is on the outlook for an opportunity.

I find it difficult to imagine that Bill left of his own accord for a choking game. I think the near contact with his family would have prevented that. If the first two attacks were not attacks but self inflicted, up to a point I might believe this because he was on his own for a while and could get into the mood, whatever mood that might be. But going from eating ice cream, fetching you little sister, bringing your father a coffee and preparing to take the Christmas decorations down to suffocation on a winter's night for the fun of it, all in a few minutes ... I know that teenage brains are wired differently and can switch to extremes for no apparent reason, but still, to me this does not make sense.

Do I have it right that the "note writing neighbor" lived across the street or within eyeshot of Bill's house? There is no way he would have voluntarily disappeared (IMO) when he knew he had to go get his little sister at the birthday party. He was watched, stalked, and hunted. These psycho's had a strange power over him that caused him to comply in these situations (IMO). I'm telling you people, we are getting closer on this....these little attempts to deflect by various parties are just drawing my attention back like a magnet.

I agree that this house is an ideal vantage point to watch Bill, and watch Bob. Bob is conveniently away from the house each time Bill is attacked.

As Jethro Gibbs teaches on NCIS, there are NO coincidences!

Well, I did get it wrong on the quote about Bill asking the teacher, but even though I have followed this thread from the beginning it is so long by now and there is so much info that I did not have time to go through everything on the thread just to ask the question about the teacher. But the main object of my post was what type of teacher a student was likely to ask about it and I remembered we had Health classes in school, so I figured if I were going to ask a teacher about the passing out it would be a teacher who taught a medical/scientific subject.
Sorry if it confused anyone.

I agree that this house is an ideal vantage point to watch Bill, and watch Bob. Bob is conveniently away from the house each time Bill is attacked.

As Jethro Gibbs teaches on NCIS, there are NO coincidences!

Bill was conveniently away from the house as well, on the first two occasions.
And what about the father or the other brother?

Don't ask Jethro...

:fence:

Do I have it right that the "note writing neighbor" lived across the street or within eyeshot of Bill's house? There is no way he would have voluntarily disappeared (IMO) when he knew he had to go get his little sister at the birthday party. He was watched, stalked, and hunted. These psycho's had a strange power over him that caused him to comply in these situations (IMO). I'm telling you people, we are getting closer on this....these little attempts to deflect by various parties are just drawing my attention back like a magnet.

BBM: From KatCo's post 248, the following quote BBM):
"(Mrs. Tope, who later left threatening letters, lived across the street and over one house from ours)."

I just Googled how long it takes to strangle someone to death. If my computer is ever searched I expect you all to vouch for me. :innocent: It can take just a couple of minutes,

This is really remarkable when you think about how tight the window was. All within the span of 45 mins. max. Bill was discovered outside alone, somehow manipulated into leaving his yard, strangled to death, left in a location not far from his own home and the assailant drives away (I'm assuming) without leaving any trace.

And all of this happening to a kid whose family was on heightened alert after two previous attacks. It's just really unbelievable the way that this was pulled off.

pdxmama, please be warned that I go to the highest $$ bidder (defense vs prosecution) if your PC is ever searched and comes up with those particular incriminating search terms.:biglaugh::floorlaugh:

Extremely unbelievable when you consider the short time frame. You said it!
That is the main thing that is so baffling about this case.

It only takes a matter of a few seconds for one to pass out or lose consciousness, however it does take several minutes of maintaining a effective choking restriction for it to then result in death.

Pdxmama, you kill me! Too funny ... and look at Mr. Late Night With Leno picking up the rear. LOL. You so would not, Methodical ;)

All right, appropriate emotion needed, so changing gears here: One thing that has always bothered me a little about the issue the two of you are discussing is the undefined "internal injuries caused by strangulation" that the coroner's report said Bill sustained (Sept. 1981 Columbus Dispatch "Mystery Still Lingers ..." article).

I suppose this could just be bruising, which may occur with any strangulation, but alternatively, might it be something like a crushed windpipe? Or would that be specified separately as something more than just "internal injuries caused by strangulation"? The extent of Bill's internal injuries, IMO, goes to the anger/force of the attack.

As an aside, I noticed this statement when reading the article again: "The coroner's report noted no other wounds to the body." That may suggest that if Bill was injected with valium, the coroner did not find an injection site.

These notebooks are with the detective.

I am SO glad to hear this. I think that makes perfect sense. We are talking about a homicide that happened 34 years ago, one in which the parents of the victim are themselves deceased. In a perfect world, the parents would be interviewed, but they can't be. To me, this is the next best way to tap the parents' bird's eye view of what happened at the time. It gives me hope that the new CCD will take the parents' observations and POVs seriously this time around. Also, the parents did some "boots on the ground" work when LE failed them. They cruised the neighborhood for blue Ford Falcon type cars and wrote down license plate numbers! Maybe there is even more in there that can be of help. Yes, this should all be in LEs hands, IMO. Godspeed, LE.

I am SO glad to hear this. I think that makes perfect sense. We are talking about a homicide that happened 34 years ago, one in which the parents of the victim are themselves deceased. In a perfect world, the parents would be interviewed, but they can't be. To me, this is the next best way to tap the parents' bird's eye view of what happened at the time. It gives me hope that the new CCD will take the parents' observations and POVs seriously this time around. Also, the parents did some "boots on the ground" work when LE failed them. They cruised the neighborhood for blue Ford Falcon type cars and wrote down license plate numbers! Maybe there is even more in there that can be of help. Yes, this should all be in LEs hands, IMO. Godspeed, LE.

IMO, I disagree at this point. For one, I don't know exactly when they were turned over to LE, and also don't know the specific contents of those journals.
I have other reasons also. Apparently I do not hold as high a regard for past or present LE in this case.
ETA: I also strongly believe that if LE had done a competent job, if even with only 1 competent detective handling the case (with no departmental restrictions), this case would have been solved within the first 30 days.

IMO, I disagree at this point. For one, I don't know exactly when they were turned over to LE, and also don't know the specific contents of those journals.
I have other reasons also. Apparently I do not hold as high a regard for past or present LE in this case.

I'd have to agree. The only way I'd feel OK about this is if the family had a copy of the contents. That way'd they'd know if anything went conveniently "missing".

I'm with you on the past, Methodical, you know that. But on the present, we have no basis for judgement, IMO. I choose to be optimistic because the family needs LE to do this work for them. Who else can run license plates/search vehicle registrations, test fingerprints and DNA, interview POIs, review case files, sleuth neighbors, etc., etc., etc.

I get the suggestion in your BBM, but am doubtful that Bill's parents were able to finger someone as suspicious whom LE formerly wished to protect. These suspicions are bequeathed across generations, and that does not appear to be the case here. JMO, but I think the family is in the dark about what happened to Bill, has no one to finger. MOO

I'd have to agree. The only way I'd feel OK about this is if the family had a copy of the contents. That way'd they'd know if anything went conveniently "missing".

I agree with your point about the copies, Gemmie. I know I wouldn't let something so precious to me go without making copies first, but I suspect Bob and KatCo would feel the same.

One thing we do know. Present LE has delayed running a DNA analysis, as apparently they say they were awaiting a "new" DNA testing procedure or new/updated testing equipment/machine (I'm not sure exactly).

I'm very curious to know *specifically* what it is, as far as this "new" procedure, in detailed manner, that is the reason for their delay all along. I have yet to hear exactly what it is they are or have been awaiting, causing this delay.

ETA: I would also like to know exactly who/where will do this DNA testing.
Ohio State Police crime lab? or Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation? Exactly who/where?
These are all reasonable questions that the family should have been provided detailed answers already.

One thing we do know. Present LE has delayed running a DNA analysis, as apparently they say they were awaiting a "new" DNA testing procedure or new/updated testing equipment/machine (I'm not sure exactly).

I'm very curious to know *specifically* what it is, as far as this "new" procedure, in detailed manner, that is the reason for their delay all along. I have yet to hear exactly what it is they are or have been awaiting, causing this delay.

Depends on what you mean by present LE?
The new detective has been on the job since a week or so.
The previous detective is interviewed in one of the video's and he speaks about the delay and that they are awaiting new testing methods.

I have been wondering why one has to wait until the Ohio State Lab has the new equipment and procedures. Maybe another lab already offers this method, I suspect somewhere on this planet the method is already in use. One might go there, but since it is Not Invented in Ohio....
The reason for the delay may also be legal, if this kind of testing is not allowed yet in Ohio, only fools would jeopardize the case. I understood that the sample is small (??) so the test has to be done right the first and only time.

Depends on what you mean by present LE?
The new detective has been on the job since a week or so.
The previous detective is interviewed in one of the video's and he speaks about the delay and that they are awaiting new testing methods.

I have been wondering why one has to wait until the Ohio State Lab has the new equipment and procedures. Maybe another lab already offers this method, I suspect somewhere on this planet the method is already in use. One might go there, but since it is Not Invented in Ohio....
The reason for the delay may also be legal, if this kind of testing is not allowed yet in Ohio, only fools would jeopardize the case. I understood that the sample is small (??) so the test has to be done right the first and only time.

I'm just asking for specifics to knowledgeably determine justification for the delay, rather than assume reasons that may not be applicable.
As far as new detective,, in every LE dept that I know of, the Chief and the regime have full influence over any detective, old or new. The influence and control does not go in the reverse direction, which is quite damaging in some cases.

Anyhow, I'm a bit too frustrated and perhaps in need of some vacation or time off.:)

ETA: Also the reason I originally questioned this is because after I spent approx 2 hours doing web searches trying to find info on any "new" DNA testing procedures I came up with blank. No mention of any new procedure anywhere that I ran across. So therefore I was curious to have it explained in detail.

I'm just asking for specifics to knowledgeably determine justification for the delay, rather than assume reasons that may not be applicable.
As far as new detective,, in every LE dept that I know of, the Chief and the regime have full influence over any detective, old or new. The influence and control does not go in the reverse direction, which is quite damaging in some cases.

Anyhow, I'm a bit too frustrated and perhaps in need of some vacation or time off.:)

ETA: Also the reason I originally questioned this is because after I spent approx 2 hours doing web searches trying to find info on any "new" DNA testing procedures I came up with blank. No mention of any new procedure anywhere that I ran across. So therefore I was curious to have it explained in detail.

:tantrum: :tantrum::tantrum:

GOOD WORK AND GOOD QUESTION!
Hello members of the press, do ask the new detective about this.
It is really odd that when someone says 'we are awaiting new testing methods' very often everybody just nods. Well, almost everybody.

For Informational Purposes Only, relative to Ohio's DNA testing.

This brief video will show the basic procedure on Ohio's DNA testing.
It was filmed at Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation and Identification's lab in Richfield OH.

I'm not sure how long ago this was filmed, or how equipment/procedures are at other Ohio BCI labs are done, such as in London, OH, but it gives you a view of how evidence is tested for DNA profiles to be matched to a suspect via CODIS (Combined DNA Index System).

Ohio BCI DNA Testing Labs (Richfield, OH)

:tantrum: :tantrum::tantrum:

GOOD WORK AND GOOD QUESTION!
Hello members of the press, do ask the new detective about this.
It is really odd that when someone says 'we are awaiting new testing methods' very often everybody just nods. Well, almost everybody.

BBM: Yes, most do, and they leave it at that. I'm not one to just nod. I want to know specifics, and an in-depth reason.
It's not because LE has ever lied before, surely that's not possible! /sarcasm

I agree with all of you re - your latest questions and thoughts relating to both the notebooks, and the "revolutionary" new DNA testing. One would THINK that if there was such a thing, that it would definitely have been published in either a scientific journal, a forensic science journal, or a medical journal. If Methodical hasn't found anything and he's spent 2 hours searching....it makes me skeptical.

Can we start to track down all students who were in Bill's classes? I found this website with members listed in and around the same time Bill was at Westland high school.

<modsnip>

Might be worth a shot to email them and try to find out who Bill's best friends were?

Can we start to track down all students who were in Bill's classes? I found this website with members listed in and around the same time Bill was at Westland high school.

<modsnip>

Might be worth a shot to email them and try to find out who Bill's best friends were?

I would ask bessie before doing that. I'm not sure we're allowed to sleuth them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Missing-CC