Found Deceased OK - Aja Johnson, 7, Geronimo, 24 January 2010 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The story about Kelsey is terrible. Her dad was fighting in Iraq while the abuse was going on - returned just days before her death. A judge court ordered Kelsey to live with step-dad and mom. Pretty sure dad has won a wrongful death suit.

The state of Oklahoma was sued as was the agency used to oversee little 2yo Kelsey.

~snip~
The state will pay $525,000 and Eastern Oklahoma Youth Service, an agency used by DHS to check on Kelsey, will pay $100,000. However, a federal judge will decide later on how to split the money. ~snip~

http://www.kfor.com/news/local/kfor-news-kelsey-briggs-settlement-story,0,869807.story

Dad Johnson fought over four years for Aja - I would say he has the substance for a wrongful death suit.

The DHS worker doesn't sound like she's doing a very good job - placing Aja with Hobbs is ridiculous - but at the time of Aja's death she was not supposed to be "with" Hobbs anymore, so I don't see how this DHS employee is at fault for that one. At that point, Aja had been removed from contact with Hobbs and it is in fact Aja's own father who let her go with her Tanya, not realizing that Tanya was going to run straight to Hobbs.

I thought about that BuzzieCat - maybe the four years dad Johnson fought to gain custody would be taken into consideration???

That part he really ought to be able to sue about. There's no way Aja should have been left with Hobbs for so long. All the abuse that could have been avoided if someone had been doing their job properly. :furious: I still don't see how it could lead to a wrongful death suit, however, since Aja wasn't supposed to be with Tanya OR Hobbs, and JJ, albeit unintentionally, is the one who allowed that to happen. IANAL, but I'm sure that would be brought up in any court proceedings.

The only thing I can think of is that maybe Hobbs' 4 years with Aja gave him an appetite for hurting her that he might not otherwise have had. Maybe if she'd never had to live with him, he wouldn't have thought much about her and wouldn't have asked Tanya to bring Aja to him...although I doubt it since he was so mean. I bet he just couldn't stop thinking about how Tanya had a child with a man other than Hobbs. It doesn't even sound like he was very interested in his own daughter. He was more a revenge kinda guy. :banghead: Oooh, if only JJ hadn't trusted Tanya.

BuzziCat: This last august, Hobbs beat little Aja black and blue - pictures were taken and sent to DFS. Sometime in December, after 4 years of trying, dad got custody. A few weeks later Aja was gone and found dead. How can DFS that checked on Aja be guiltless once pictures were received calls were made

Tanya requested an order of protection because Hobbs threatened to kill Aja and her sister with a hammer. An educated guess would tell me why Tanya failed to appear at her hearing. That failure apparently caused the request to be dropped. When one looks at Hobbs' extensive criminal record - how can LE drop the threats of killing 2 children?

You're so right - he is a brutal, hateful guy who gets even. Was said that Hobbs hated Aja because she wasn't his. I can only guess, but when dad got custody in December, maybe Hobbs was so infuriated he planned the death of Tanya and Aja. just speculation on my part.

Hard to believe that every safeguard in place to protect a child - failed!

Yeah, I think he definitely had nefarious plans - I don't think he just snapped. Not sure if he meant to kill Tanya or not, but I definitely think he wanted to kill Aja to hurt her father. I don't hold child protection services blameless by any means because no way should that child or any child have had to live with Hobbs for 4 years, especially if there was pictorial proof of abuse. I just keep going back to what the heck was Tanya thinking? I know and I do believe that battered woman syndrome exists and that these women can actually desire to be with their abuser because it's familiar and they don't know where else to go, but why did she have to involve Aja? Aja had her own home at that point and didn't depend on Hobbs for a place to live and food to eat. Why why why? You are right, every safeguard failed her. Probably is true that losing "custody" of Aja made him very angry, and I guess he was really determined to go out in a blaze of glory and not go to jail.

BuzziCat: This last august, Hobbs beat little Aja black and blue - pictures were taken and sent to DFS. Sometime in December, after 4 years of trying, dad got custody. A few weeks later Aja was gone and found dead. How can DFS that checked on Aja be guiltless once pictures were received calls were made

Tanya requested an order of protection because Hobbs threatened to kill Aja and her sister with a hammer. An educated guess would tell me why Tanya failed to appear at her hearing. That failure apparently caused the request to be dropped. When one looks at Hobbs' extensive criminal record - how can LE drop the threats of killing 2 children?

You're so right - he is a brutal, hateful guy who gets even. Was said that Hobbs hated Aja because she wasn't his. I can only guess, but when dad got custody in December, maybe Hobbs was so infuriated he planned the death of Tanya and Aja. just speculation on my part.

Hard to believe that every safeguard in place to protect a child - failed!

I'd like to know what the GAL's were doing in these cases.

Does every suspected child abuse case have a GAL?

If it goes through the court system and involves DSS/DFS/DCFS whatever it is in your area- yes. Some are volunteer, some are practicing attorneys. But it's the law in every state.
(Not always adhered to, may I add. :( )

4 years in family court, allegations of abuse of her brother... she should most DEFINATELY have had a GAL.

Anyone want to dig up the info on this person? I'm running around a bit this weekend to do much research.

Oriah

I'm not sure how to go about doing this. I googled "aja johnson" guardian ad litem and nothing really came up.

still thinking of you aja.

hope you and caylee and haliegh and shayna are having fun.

still thinking of you aja.

hope you and caylee and haliegh and shayna are having fun.

Too many beautiful children being killed and going missing.. someone at another site suggested a GPS microchip being implanted in newborns to help track missing persons. I think it is definetly food for thought.

Too many beautiful children being killed and going missing.. someone at another site suggested a GPS microchip being implanted in newborns to help track missing persons. I think it is definetly food for thought.

And soon after, the bad guys will be able to get their hands on scanners, to scan any child they take and dig their implant out to remove it.

Technology is a good tool but it's just that a tool.

If it goes through the court system and involves DSS/DFS/DCFS whatever it is in your area- yes. Some are volunteer, some are practicing attorneys. But it's the law in every state.
(Not always adhered to, may I add. :( )

4 years in family court, allegations of abuse of her brother... she should most DEFINATELY have had a GAL.

Anyone want to dig up the info on this person? I'm running around a bit this weekend to do much research.

Oriah

I've been digging like crazy and this is all I can find so far...

Not sure who posted this on the www but...it's the emergency custody order and in it contains an order for assignment of a GAL for the case - http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/01/27/aja.custody.case.pdf -

Now, I'm still trying to find the 10 day follow up hearing to see if the GAL was assigned....

I've been digging like crazy and this is all I can find so far...

Not sure who posted this on the www but...it's the emergency custody order and in it contains an order for assignment of a GAL for the case - http://i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/2010/images/01/27/aja.custody.case.pdf -

Now, I'm still trying to find the 10 day follow up hearing to see if the GAL was assigned....

thanks for digging this up - The document reads: The Oklahoma Public Defenders office shall be appointed as GAL for minor child by order filed separately...

The document ends short of giving the results of the paternity test - and who knows where that order is? :waitasec:

And soon after, the bad guys will be able to get their hands on scanners, to scan any child they take and dig their implant out to remove it.

Technology is a good tool but it's just that a tool.

But think of how many could be saved for those bad guys who did not have access to such a device. Time is of the essence in abduction cases and this type tool could facilitate finding the victim.

thanks for digging this up - The document reads: The Oklahoma Public Defenders office shall be appointed as GAL for minor child by order filed separately...

The document ends short of giving the results of the paternity test - and who knows where that order is? :waitasec:

That order should still be on file for public access if it was signed. The case would have been closed with DSS when Aja was found deceased but the record of that hearing and whether or not it was ordered should be on public record. Going off to do some digging today..... it looks to me like they didn't have a GAL available so they just assigned the PD's office to pass the buck???

Thanks,
Oriah

Slain Girls Shared Same DHS Worker
Yolanda Hunter Worked With Aja Johnson, Kelsey Briggs

<snipped>

J.J. Johnson said he knew about Kelsey Briggs and followed the story of her death closely. He said he couldn't believe that the same woman working with Briggs, Yolanda Hunter, also worked with his daughter.

"I was scared to death when I found out she was handling Aja's case," he said. "I was just absolutely terrified."

He said that instead of allowing Aja to live with him, Hunter put her with stepfather Lester Hobbs, the man accused of killing her.

"There were accusations made that he was mistreating Aja, feeding her jalapeno peppers and stuff," he said. "I brought this to Ms. Hunter's attention. But as usual, it was just dust in the wind."

"It makes you sick, and this is the thing," Kathie Briggs said. "We know she was involved in Kelsey's case and Kelsey died. We know she was involved in Aja's case and Aja eventually died."

The DHS confirmed Wednesday that Hunter still is an employee, but did not say whether any disciplinary action had been taken.

It also sent a statement that said, "We are not pointing fingers at any party, but instead, we are clarifying we are part of a system designed to protect children. All OKDHS services are designed to build a safety net around vulnerable children and families."

lots more at link

http://www.koco.com/mostpopular/23154473/detail.html

Still thinking of you Aja...I'm glad to see your daddy is not keeping quiet and fighting for justice for his little girl!

Not blaming a victim here, and I am glad JJ is fighting for justice now as well....but these sorts of comments make me see a little red. Do people simply not understand how much impact they can have by fighting (legally) via the court system, BEFORE a crime takes place?
You can get a private GAL- you can request a change of GAL- you can request a GAL PERIOD if one has not been assigned to your child. If paternity has not been established, the family court system 'freezes' until it is determined, leaving the child in the states care. You can make a lot of noise in family court. I wish more people would do so, before their children and families lives end up in criminal court. I guess I just cannot understand how someone could be so terrified for their childs' safety, and yet still trust the courts decision.

Aja, honey- a monday morning bump for you. Still trying to help prevent what happened to you from happening to another innocent child.

Oriah

Not blaming a victim here, and I am glad JJ is fighting for justice now as well....but these sorts of comments make me see a little red. Do people simply not understand how much impact they can have by fighting (legally) via the court system, BEFORE a crime takes place?
You can get a private GAL- you can request a change of GAL- you can request a GAL PERIOD if one has not been assigned to your child. If paternity has not been established, the family court system 'freezes' until it is determined, leaving the child in the states care. You can make a lot of noise in family court. I wish more people would do so, before their children and families lives end up in criminal court. I guess I just cannot understand how someone could be so terrified for their childs' safety, and yet still trust the courts decision.

Aja, honey- a monday morning bump for you. Still trying to help prevent what happened to you from happening to another innocent child.

Oriah

Oriah - I agree with you, but I also want to point out that this is a double edged sword, especially when working with DHS/CPS. When you make a lot of noise in family court, you could be adding a lot of TIME to a case. Social Services doesn't like it when you make noise and will hamper your efforts to protect the child. It can drag out for what seems like forever. I have such mixed feelings about this because sometimes, I believe it can hinder, instead of help.

If you can afford a good attorney and/or a PI in some cases, you will have better results. If you can not, and you do not know the legal system well, you can shoot yourself in the foot, which means the child stays in the unsafe placement.

However, if you don't have money, then it is absolutely NECESSARY that you have a GAL or CASA assigned to the case and that you make sure they like you. You will need help.

Salem

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
australianwebsleuth
Back