OK OK - Daryn Collie, 32, Guthrie, 26 May 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also questioning, IF Daryn was the one driving the car, whether he was headed to Seattle. Ending up in Hood River County, OR, would mean taking a route that is 200 miles longer than the "best" route from OKC to Seattle. It seems to me that his heading for the Portland area (again, IF he was driving) would make as much sense. Considering his interests in various social role-playing activities and costume-wearing gatherings, he absolutely must know people in Portland, at least over the internet.

Going back over old posts. This one prompted me to try and work through all our possible scenarios with regard to where the car was found/who put it there/why they put or left it there, so please help me compile the list and build on the pros and cons for each possibility:

If the person that put the car there was not Daryn, he would take only the stuff that he could easily and quickly stash on his person without drawing attention to himself if he had to leave on foot?

If the person that put the car there was not Daryn, he could have chosen this (or a point nearby) as a meet-up point with an accomplice (for lack of a better word), keeping warm by running the engine until it went through every bit of gas. He then might possibly have used the sleeping bag that was in the car to keep warm from that point; and the condition of how the sleeping bag was found in the car (rolled up neatly, scrunched up, spread out) might support or negate this scenario.

And if the person that put the car there was Daryn and it was his intention to meet up with someone at that place to go off and start a new life, why would he leave the laptop and suitcase in the car?

And LE indicates they do not believe Daryn went off in the trails, as indicated by no footprints; but we still don't know for sure if there were footprints around the car, because LE didn't really specify yes or no...was this the last we'd heard on this? I think so, but I am not relying on memory at this point. So....was the car on dirt or pavement and if on dirt, there had to be footprints of some sort?

And since the car was out of gas...totally out of gas was emphasized IIRC...Daryn could have started walking to get gas. But then why take the tag off and move car back up off road like that? And why would he not have collected the car by the time it was determined that the car was abandoned?

What else, folks?

If it was NOT Daryn, and if it was a carjacker, is someone else missing? Perhaps from this trailhead. Are there other cars parked in this area on a daily basis, hikers from other areas? June is the beginning of vacation time for a lot of people. Could there be someone else missing that is also not getting any news coverage? Lots of questions not many answers.

I wonder if there were any big changes that were about to occur in Daryn's life that overwhelmed him and motivated him to disappear? Or that stressed him unbearably? It would be a huge coincidence if someone was about to make a big change in life, like getting married, changing jobs, having a baby, and at exactly the same time they were carjacked but no body was found.

If it was NOT Daryn, and if it was a carjacker, is someone else missing? Perhaps from this trailhead. Are there other cars parked in this area on a daily basis, hikers from other areas? June is the beginning of vacation time for a lot of people. Could there be someone else missing that is also not getting any news coverage? Lots of questions not many answers.

Good point!

Here's a rudimentary timeline draft. Sorry it's so tiny; had to fit it in this page.

Sat...5/18...................Muskogee Renaissance Festival
Sun...5/19..................Muskogee Renaissance Festival
Mon..5/20..................Muskogee –Skiatook
Tue...5/21..................OKC-NYC
Wed..5/22.................NYC
Thu...5/23..................NYC
Fri.....5/24..................NYC
Sat...5/25...?..............NYC
Sun...5/26...?.............Arrives at OKC airport
...................8:03pm...Calls stepmom in NY, leaves message
...................8:47pm...Stepmom calls back, he's at a Taco Bell with brother
...................9:37pm...At Job Corps in Guthrie, OK, dropping off brother

Fri....5/31..................NAMUS entry created for Daryn

Thu...6/6.....?.............Car found Hood River County, OR, on I-35 near the head of ZigZag trail.

Note that this leaves out some things that we think may have happened; it only includes what's been verified by family, LE, or MSM.

Last call for MSM! It's about exactly two weeks to the minute since DRC was last known to have been seen and, barring something on one of the ten o'clock news shows tonight, it doesn't look like we here in OK will be seeing anything. Hoping OR will have some more good stuff tomorrow and in days to come.

You seem to be the magician when it comes to pulling MSM rabbits out of this particular case's hat, so do your magic wfgodot! :seeya:

It just occurred to me that it is illegal to pump your own gas in Oregon. There are no self-service pumps, so if gas was bought for the car in that state, there would have to be a witness.

Wow! That could be HUGE!!!! Thanks, Steadfast!!!

I wonder if there were any big changes that were about to occur in Daryn's life that overwhelmed him and motivated him to disappear? Or that stressed him unbearably? It would be a huge coincidence if someone was about to make a big change in life, like getting married, changing jobs, having a baby, and at exactly the same time they were carjacked but no body was found.

Like a personal relationship going to the next level, for instance? Or one that proved to be something other than the person thought it was? That kind of stuff? Or finding out one has been duped or cheated by a trusted individual? Something like that? Good thoughts. Stressors could overwhelm and possibly put someone into a hurtful panic mode. Yeah, that's sure possible. And no, we've all learned that coincidences are really few and far between.

Interesting thoughts to chew on.

Here's a rudimentary timeline draft. Sorry it's so tiny; had to fit it in this page.

Sat...5/18...................Muskogee Renaissance Festival
Sun...5/19..................Muskogee Renaissance Festival
Mon..5/20..................Muskogee –Skiatook
Tue...5/21..................OKC-NYC
Wed..5/22.................NYC
Thu...5/23..................NYC
Fri.....5/24..................NYC
Sat...5/25...?..............NYC
Sun...5/26...?.............Arrives at OKC airport
...................8:03pm...Calls stepmom in NY, leaves message
...................8:47pm...Stepmom calls back, he's at a Taco Bell with brother
...................9:37pm...At Job Corps in Guthrie, OK, dropping off brother

Fri....5/31..................NAMUS entry created for Daryn

Thu...6/6.....?.............Car found Hood River County, OR, on I-35 near the head of ZigZag trail.

Note that this leaves out some things that we think may have happened; it only includes what's been verified by family, LE, or MSM.

Great work! I know you worked into the night on this! :rockon:

Great work! I know you worked into the night on this! :rockon:

Even though it's not directly related that we know of: Can we add the Moore tornado on 5/20? The OKC area weather might come into play at a later time, i.e. it might be used to take into account or discount questionable factors that might come out. (Plus new posters can see that Daryn went missing almost a week after the tornado, so it did not play a direct role in his disappearance).

Daryn's car being found at a trailhead has really gotten my attention. Hubs and i are campers, although not hikers, and am really curious if these hikers park for just the day or perhaps a few days 10 days at a time. I am trying to read our camping forum to find any information on the Mt. Hood area. Unfortunately have not found any information as yet. Will keep searching my camping forums too see if I can find any information on this area although we are campers NOT hikers.

Good idea. I started thinking about a list.. and actually had to grab paper. You covered most, but the more I thought the more rambling it became. Pros and cons to each scenario, and so many of them would fit either one. My list literally became rambling thoughts and questions.

I hope to gawd he left to just get away, but my rambling thoughts make me doubt this is the case.

WHY was his car found there? Just a general question I wish I had the answer to.

Lots of help, huh... Lol

And just you posing that question...got me thinking once again. Why was his car found there. There is only two answers to that honestly, either Daryn drove it there himself or someone else drove it there. Now...

Lets think on this...

Why would a man from Oklahoma, who had just been on a trip, drive his car suddenly in the middle of the night to Oregon, tell no one. Then when he gets there the car is out of gas (I am assuming Daryn had credit cards, so not reason to run it fully out of gas to be honest). Then he allegedly backed it in to an embankment, cleaned the front area of car spotless, removed ignition key from "his baby" and put in console, left behind his passport, laptop ...etc. I really don't think this is the case...It feels off to me totally. Not to mention he then got out and removed his license plate and put it behind in back seat. No just does not fit. Why would he not take his passport. If he took it with him to NY in case he wanted to go over the Border during his stay, why would he not take it being so close to Canada, he would have taken that passport if nothing else.

Now, the alternative, another person has possession of the vehicle, why Oregon? Well, I don't think a carjacker would drive over a thousand miles to dump a vehicle, so that tells me that the vehicle itself was probably motive. This person needed to get to Oregon. Now if this person had any funds on them, or much at all would they risk it to abduct someone...perhaps. However Oregon is a long way to drive from Oklahoma, so how would you just take the car and let the person you took it from go. LE would be alerted quickly from the victim, you would be caught.

Now would you take this larger man with you on the ride, or if your a real "bad guy" would you somehow get the problem out of the way. The problem being Daryn. I am so sorry I don't feel good about this.

Now that leaves the question of where could/did Daryn make contact with this "bad person". We know he left Job Corps in Guthrie at 9:37 p.m. that is allegedly verified. So... what would make someone stop to pick someone up when they are in a hurry to get home after a long trip?

I still feel the most likely scenerio's are that he met someone just outside Job Corp that asked for a ride to town. Or....maybe he had to go to the bathroom. OKC is still a long drive. So I spent my late night/early morning looking up all gas stations in Guthrie where he might have stopped to go to the bathroom. I then called each one to see if they are open on Sunday nights. I will follow post shorty with my findings. IMHO

Hello everyone, I stumbled upon this thread today and have worked my way through all your very insightful and well thought out posts. I'm thousands of miles away from this case, so have absolutely no local knowledge to offer, nor many new ideas of my own.

I have flitted between thinking this is a worst-case carjacking/abduction scenario, and thinking this was a meticulously-planned 'disappearance.' I don't know exactly what I think yet and with the patchy information we all have at the moment, can't see myself coming to a conclusion anytime soon.

One possibly far-fetched thought I do have came to me after Steadfast's post about the illegality of filling up your own gas tank in Oregon. A number of posters, who I assume are also U.S.-based, have commented that they didn't know of this. Having entertained the thought that Daryn may have staged a well-planned, at this stage seemingly watertight 'disappearance' in pursuit of some sort of new life, and bearing in mind this filling up law, perhaps this presented Daryn with a stumbling block on his journey. Knowing his gas was low, and wanting to protect himself from being recognised, he may have stashed the car and removed the number plates and then hitchhiked with another vehicle.

However, this really doesn't explain why the contents of the vehicle were left as they were. Although, if he WAS trying to feign an abduction or other foul play, that would have been a pretty perfect example of how to do so.

The really puzzling bit is the cat. I suppose if I were to fit it in with my hypothesis, knowing how precious his cat was to him, I would say either the cat is with him, or was anonymously - as an earlier poster suggested - dropped off at some sort of pet shelter.

I'm not totally convinced by this hypothesis, but it was nagging me!

See map in next post... below

Job Corp and every gas station has a star to give an idea of there proximity to Job Corp. One is right there at the exit from Job Corps road and was open until ten p.m. on Sundays. Loves Travel stop locations are also listed, they are also twenty four hour. I would think he would have headed up Sooner Rd to get on I35 at the South end of Guthrie. However, I do have a question... How long has his brother been at Job Corp, many newer people to Guthrie will take E Noble straight over even though its longer? I would ask a family member or friend to go to these stations and not only hang his missing poster, but also to speak with whomever worked that Sunday night and see if they recognize him. Any way to check if they have video. There were three stations that had pay at the pump although they were closed at the time. If you need a list of the hours open of each station let me know, I have it just don't want to clog up this post with all the hours. FYI if you hold your mouse on the star on map it shows name of station. IMHO

Hello everyone, I stumbled upon this thread today and have worked my way through all your very insightful and well thought out posts. I'm thousands of miles away from this case, so have absolutely no local knowledge to offer, nor many new ideas of my own.

I have flitted between thinking this is a worst-case carjacking/abduction scenario, and thinking this was a meticulously-planned 'disappearance.' I don't know exactly what I think yet and with the patchy information we all have at the moment, can't see myself coming to a conclusion anytime soon.

One possibly far-fetched thought I do have came to me after Steadfast's post about the illegality of filling up your own gas tank in Oregon. A number of posters, who I assume are also U.S.-based, have commented that they didn't know of this. Having entertained the thought that Daryn may have staged a well-planned, at this stage seemingly watertight 'disappearance' in pursuit of some sort of new life, and bearing in mind this filling up law, perhaps this presented Daryn with a stumbling block on his journey. Knowing his gas was low, and wanting to protect himself from being recognised, he may have stashed the car and removed the number plates and then hitchhiked with another vehicle.

However, this really doesn't explain why the contents of the vehicle were left as they were. Although, if he WAS trying to feign an abduction or other foul play, that would have been a pretty perfect example of how to do so.

The really puzzling bit is the cat. I suppose if I were to fit it in with my hypothesis, knowing how precious his cat was to him, I would say either the cat is with him, or was anonymously - as an earlier poster suggested - dropped off at some sort of pet shelter.

I'm not totally convinced by this hypothesis, but it was nagging me!

Thanks Portabella and graceholl for putting your well-thought-out comments into words.

We are back to the cat. And knowing cats as I do, Miss Gypsy would be so secretly pleased to know that she plays such a big factor in this disappearance.

I've left word with the family that we would appreciate a description of said cat of the hour because we'd like to contact the shelters and boarders in the OKC area. My day is one of those in-and-out ones today, but I'm glad to research the possibilities and call the folks as my sleuthing job for the day....that is if the family is even willing to have anything to do with on-line groups at this point.

Portabella, there was something else in your post that put a thought in my brain, but it's run right back out again for the moment. Hopefully I will remember and can address it later.

Such late-into-the-night and early-morning sleuthers! That tells me how dedicated this bunch is and how much Daryn has touched everyone's heart. Give yourselves a big hug and a chocolate chip cookie!!!

RoseRed, I wondered the same thing about the OKC end...was there an abandoned car from another state found in OKC around the time Daryn went missing? And then I have to wonder if that car belonged to a missing person in another state. Did someone make their way across country by this method?

We all so want this to be a voluntary thing on Daryn's part, but I just keep going back to: If you take the time to plan a life escape...why leave your suitcase and laptop in the car when you get there? Unless of course the fuel problem puts a cog in your works and then...why do you not return to your car to retrieve it and your things?!

See map in next post... below

Job Corp and every gas station has a star to give an idea of there proximity to Job Corp. One is right there at the exit from Job Corps road and was open until ten p.m. on Sundays. Loves Travel stop locations are also listed, they are also twenty four hour. I would think he would have headed up Sooner Rd to get on I35 at the South end of Guthrie. However, I do have a question... How long has his brother been at Job Corp, many newer people to Guthrie will take E Noble straight over even though its longer? I would ask a family member or friend to go to these stations and not only hang his missing poster, but also to speak with whomever worked that Sunday night and see if they recognize him. Any way to check if they have video. There were three stations that had pay at the pump although they were closed at the time. If you need a list of the hours open of each station let me know, I have it just don't want to clog up this post with all the hours. FYI if you hold your mouse on the star on map it shows name of station. IMHO

Awesome! I know there's been some checking of some video, but this map could really help the family. Do you mind if I pass it on to them, Portabella? And if it's not too much trouble, I'd say yes, please go ahead and add the hours, maybe in another post? That would certainly help a family already burdened with way too many details and tasks. Awesome (again)! (Make that two chocolate chip cookies! lol)

Just fyi...Guthrie is the type of town that "rolls their sidewalks up " after dark especially on a Sunday. I'm sure someone at these stores would rember something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member