OK OK - Daryn Collie, 32, Guthrie, 26 May 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
RoseRed, I wondered the same thing about the OKC end...was there an abandoned car from another state found in OKC around the time Daryn went missing? And then I have to wonder if that car belonged to a missing person in another state. Did someone make their way across country by this method?

We all so want this to be a voluntary thing on Daryn's part, but I just keep going back to: If you take the time to plan a life escape...why leave your suitcase and laptop in the car when you get there? Unless of course the fuel problem puts a cog in your works and then...why do you not return to your car to retrieve it and your things?!

BBM

In the context of the life escape theory...my feeling about that would be that he perhaps wanted to take nothing with him that could possibly be traceable. It would also fit in with the idea that he perhaps wanted to make it look like foul play had been involved.

(I know it is horrible to entertain those kinds of thoughts, moreso for his family than anyone else, and to think a person would really want to escape that badly. But in this case, it almost is the 'best case scenario'.) :( Praying for Daryn's quick and safe return to his loved ones.

Hey just wanted to add in some basic points According to Dodge his vehicle gets roughly 18-19 MPG on a 19.5 gal tank. Roughly speaking 361 miles on a full tank of gas.
Guthrie (if that's where the starting point was) to Hood River Or is 1,832 miles. Meaning they/he would have had to stop for gas at least 5 times en route. I hope this makes it easier. <3 Jen

It's great to see you here Jenstar! :)
Again as I have stated before about your wealth of knowledge about cars, I can see the Marisa Tomei from My Cousin Vinnie in you, but I know you don't have that accent to go along with it. :)
You will be an asset here to help find Daryn.

Wow! I am impressed with everybody, as while I was sleeping Santa's Helpers were busy, busy busy!! It took me awhile to read all the posts you "Elves" were writing! Great sleuthing, and I hope to join you with more sleuthing as well. You guys rock! :)

What about Del City? Is it the same way? For example, if someone was getting out of their car upon their return home and someone approached them with a gun or knife at that hour of the night, is it likely anyone would be out to take notice that something "didn't look right?" If some sort of scuffle ensued, would neighbors be willing to get involved and report it (upon hearing that Daryn's missing, of course...oy).

I do not live there, but have visited often. There are people out even late at night. I often go outside to smoke very late and have observed people just walking the streets (and this was in a quiet neighborhood.) My relatives did not like the fact that I went outside alone at night at all. Lol. There were some areas we just did not go to late at night. On one occasion I was out of cigarettes and wanted to stop at a 7 eleven or something like that, and the answer was no way. We drove to a grocery store, and even then my sister said I was not careful enough (observant) when I exited the store. She told me many times, "sweetheart, you are going to get knocked in the head."

Daryn is a big guy, and I know he is less likely to be accosted and "knocked in the head" at a store, but it has crossed my mind that he may have made it to Del City, stopped at a store to pick up some things, and something bad happened. But.... if this was the case I don't see a carjacker or robber driving to Oregon to dump the car.

BBM

In the context of the life escape theory...my feeling about that would be that he perhaps wanted to take nothing with him that could possibly be traceable. It would also fit in with the idea that he perhaps wanted to make it look like foul play had been involved.

(I know it is horrible to entertain those kinds of thoughts, moreso for his family than anyone else, and to think a person would really want to escape that badly. But in this case, it almost is the 'best case scenario'.) :( Praying for Daryn's quick and safe return to his loved ones.

Right, and he may have needed the laptop for the drive to Oregon, if he decided to leave on his own, and if he was meeting up with someone, perhaps it wasn't going to be for very long, so he left the belongings in the car...But it troubles me about taking off the license plate....it's like whoever took the car did not want to be found out right away.....or maybe they did?? Leaving items in the car, makes it look like you are not leaving the car there for very long. Maybe he was supposed to meet up with someone, but they did not show up, so he had to run the vehicle to keep warm, which then emptied the gas tank.....Also I was wondering, it is illegal to pump your own gas, but can a gas can be purchased and someone put gas in that for you? Surely, people with lawnmowers would be able to fill up a can without bringing their lawn mower to the gas station? :) I jest, but seriously, maybe he walked to where he could get a ride, in hopes of buying gas and a gas can, only to have something horribly go wrong at that point??

My other main feeling about this case, and with no disrespect intended, is the stature of Daryn. Over 6 foot and 250 pounds would not have made him an easy target for an assailant. And if the worst harm did come to him - moving a body of considerable weight (especially when we take into account dead weight) would be very, very difficult.

Again I apologise for thinking these thoughts - but my gut feeling is that Daryn has not come to the harm of an assailant and is still alive.

It's great to see you here Jenstar! :)
Again as I have stated before about your wealth of knowledge about cars, I can see the Marisa Tomei from My Cousin Vinnie in you, but I know you don't have that accent to go along with it. :)
You will be an asset here to help find Daryn.

Thanks Treelights. Glad to be here. I've been following this thread for a bit now :) I don't mean to just jump in without being "active" I just try to do my best to add relevant info. (kinda like "speak up if you have something to add" lol. Hopefully we can narrow down timeframes and such.

Speaking of which,
if we can find out the speed limits on the possible route. We could estimate what times he was in the gas-stations. Just a hypotheses of course, but it will get us closer to Darryn's time of arrival. Google Maps already tells us the times but they don't tell us what speed limit (factoring in bathroom/food breaks) or anything like that. JMHO

Right, and he may have needed the laptop for the drive to Oregon, if he decided to leave on his own, and if he was meeting up with someone, perhaps it wasn't going to be for very long, so he left the belongings in the car...But it troubles me about taking off the license plate....it's like whoever took the car did not want to be found out right away.....or maybe they did?? Leaving items in the car, makes it look like you are not leaving the car there for very long. Maybe he was supposed to meet up with someone, but they did not show up, so he had to run the vehicle to keep warm, which then emptied the gas tank.....Also I was wondering, it is illegal to pump your own gas, but can a gas can be purchased and someone put gas in that for you? Surely, people with lawnmowers would be able to fill up a can without bringing their lawn mower to the gas station? :) I jest, but seriously, maybe he walked to where he could get a ride, in hopes of buying gas and a gas can only to have something horribly go wrong at that point??

BBM

I think that could be a possibility. From what little facts we have to go on, I definitely think Daryn was in that car at least somewhere in Oregon.

My other main feeling about this case, and with no disrespect intended, is the stature of Daryn. Over 6 foot and 250 pounds would not have made him an easy target for an assailant. And if the worst harm did come to him - moving a body of considerable weight (especially when we take into account dead weight) would be very, very difficult.

Again I apologise for thinking these thoughts - but my gut feeling is that Daryn has not come to the harm of an assailant and is still alive.

And maybe that is why in the past he picked up hitch hikers, because he felt confident not only about himself, but his size maybe made him feel like he would not be an easy target. But then that can go either way, too, because somebody with a gun might change your mind real quick.
I am so hoping that Daryn left on his own accord. That would mean, hopefully, that he is alive and well, and just needed to get away.

Right, and he may have needed the laptop for the drive to Oregon, if he decided to leave on his own, and if he was meeting up with someone, perhaps it wasn't going to be for very long, so he left the belongings in the car...But it troubles me about taking off the license plate....it's like whoever took the car did not want to be found out right away.....or maybe they did?? Leaving items in the car, makes it look like you are not leaving the car there for very long. Maybe he was supposed to meet up with someone, but they did not show up, so he had to run the vehicle to keep warm, which then emptied the gas tank.....Also I was wondering, it is illegal to pump your own gas, but can a gas can be purchased and someone put gas in that for you? Surely, people with lawnmowers would be able to fill up a can without bringing their lawn mower to the gas station? :) I jest, but seriously, maybe he walked to where he could get a ride, in hopes of buying gas and a gas can, only to have something horribly go wrong at that point??

Taking off the license plate just makes me suspicious. If there's no license plate on a vehicle a cop would have it towed within two to three days no questions asked. Whomever drove it and took off the license plate knew what they were doing and intended to leave the vehicle there (IMO) hoping that it would be towed and forgotten.

Apologies if I've missed something that would have given me the answer to these questions...

- Am I right in thinking his car was found 6th June?
- If so, would they have located it before if it had been parked there before? i.e. how long had the car been there, can we reasonably assume, or is it a very secluded spot so we cannot make any real assumptions?

If the car arrived at its location and was found within 24/48 hours, can it be traced along its journey up until it was left there? We just had a case in the UK where a girl was murdered in her home town, and the suspect drove hundreds of miles away into Scotland where he was eventually apprehended. Her body was found about half way along his route IIRC and they managed to locate her by going from number plate recognition so they could trace his path.

Taking off the license plate just makes me suspicious. If there's no license plate on a vehicle a cop would have it towed within two to three days no questions asked. Whomever drove it and took off the license plate knew what they were doing and intended to leave the vehicle there (IMO) hoping that it would be towed and forgotten.

BBM

Which fits entirely with either a) Daryn leaving of his own accord and hoping to leave no trace or b) an assailant of some sort who has brought harm to Daryn. So, best OR worst case scenario. It's a really confusing case, and very sad. :(

BBM

The only problem with him leaving the laptop, though, would be that he'd know that LE would eventually get hold of it; therefore, anything he'd done online in connection to "planning his escape" would be traceable. Of course he could have been very careful NOT to do anything online that could be traced with regard to his adventure.

IMO the contents of that laptop may prove to be very telling, actually, with regard to events leading up to his disappearance. But that falls into my personal scenario Z-3, and I don't even want to get started on that one at this point...not in the threads anyway!

Apologies if I've missed something that would have given me the answer to these questions...

- Am I right in thinking his car was found 6th June?
- If so, would they have located it before if it had been parked there before? i.e. how long had the car been there, can we reasonably assume, or is it a very secluded spot so we cannot make any real assumptions?

If the car arrived at its location and was found within 24/48 hours, can it be traced along its journey up until it was left there? We just had a case in the UK where a girl was murdered in her home town, and the suspect drove hundreds of miles away into Scotland where he was eventually apprehended. Her body was found about half way along his route IIRC and they managed to locate her by going from number plate recognition so they could trace his path.

That's what I'm kinda focused on today :) I'm sure LE has done the same. But all we have is "possible routes" because of no "known sightings". Meaning whomever was driving did a really good job of avoiding any suspicion. I also think that someone who knew the area (in Oregon) knew they couldn't stop for gas because he'd be spotted. So my assumptions lead me to believe that Daryn wasn't in Oregon at all. Like I said..that's just me though. :)

Has it been mentioned if the vehicle was locked? Don't even know if it would matter one way or another, but I am just curious.

The only problem with him leaving the laptop, though, would be that he'd know that LE would eventually get hold of it; therefore, anything he'd done online in connection to "planning his escape" would be traceable. Of course he could have been very careful NOT to do anything online that could be traced with regard to his adventure.

IMO the contents of that laptop may prove to be very telling, actually, with regard to events leading up to his disappearance. But that falls into my personal scenario Z-3, and I don't even want to get started on that one at this point...not in the threads anyway!

Yes, definitely. The laptop should and could provide a minefield of information whether we're talking best or worst case scenario.

I know very little of the events directly prior to Daryn's disappearance. But from what I have seen here and on the FB group (am I allowed to mention that?) it seems it was not a 'regular' time of work, eat, sleep, so to speak, what with his sister's graduation, the festival, etc. Perhaps there may have been a trigger point at one of these events? Obviously those closer to him may have their own theories as to what this could have been, and there is little point in us who don't know him guessing. But his girlfriend suggests nothing unusual in his demeanor prior to disappearing...which puts me back at square 1.

[/thinking out loud]

Has it been mentioned if the vehicle was locked? Don't even know if it would matter one way or another, but I am just curious.

I assume not, as the key was inside the car (unless it was a spare or a house key - don't know if that's been mentioned).

That's what I'm kinda focused on today :) I'm sure LE has done the same. But all we have is "possible routes" because of no "known sightings". Meaning whomever was driving did a really good job of avoiding any suspicion. I also think that someone who knew the area (in Oregon) knew they couldn't stop for gas because he'd be spotted. So my assumptions lead me to believe that Daryn wasn't in Oregon at all. Like I said..that's just me though. :)

But - I'm guessing - whilst there is such little coverage in MSM, there could well have been sightings - people just don't know they may have been witness to it yet? :banghead:

Laptops can be traced much in the same way as cell phones if the owner has the "know how" to network it from home. It's quite possible that if another party was involved they knew this too. And decided not to steal it, or considered everything IN the car just like the car itself...no longer needed.
O/T but related:
There have been instances of people who were caught stealing laptops because the owner had the laptop set to take a picture when the thief turned on the laptop. All you need is internet connection and an IP address.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop