OK OK, Veronica Butler 27 & Jilian Kelley 39, Vehicle Abandoned, Texas County, 30 Mar 2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If the car was the dirt road, pointed toward the highway, that would hide the license plate on the back of the car to passers-by on the highway - not that it would matter much, I guess.
Oddly enough, I can actually see the drop off happening at a place like this - especially if the custodial party said, "She's not stepping foot on my property." So they just choose a neutral spot, which they consider public, out in the open, even though it may not be that populated. Years ago, there was a situation in my family, where things weren't amicable, and the drop off location was at a service station on a long stretch of highway. Smart? No, but I bet it happens all the time.

I’ve been following this. It’s very strange that police have put out no more information, no call to the public or anything. <modsnip>

Does anybody local know if in OK a person is subject to Court Ordered rehab whether the rehab facility (in this case Salvation Army) is locked down or do 'participants' have free access to leave for work reasons, food etc.?

The info online is a bit vague imo:

From SA website:

How we help combat addiction​

The Adult Rehabilitation Centers (ARC) in Central Oklahoma offer a Christ-centered approach to addiction recovery for men. Through the six month program, clients work with trained staff that offer effective coaching, instruction, and vocational guidance. All clients at the ARC participate in work therapy and regularly attend chapel services. Family reunification is also a major component of the program. Ultimately, the goal of the ARC is to prepare men to re-enter society free from the power of addiction and ready to chart a new course for their lives.
Super important info. That’s what I’ve been wondering as well.

I suspect (no inside info) that the parties agreed to that area as the pickup point during that court appearance. It lies about halfway between Boise City (area where grandmother lives) and Hugoton, KS. It was probably just a convenient halfway point. I certainly wish the drop off would have been done in front of a police station, busy store, etc...
I completely agree.

MOO, but to meet in such a rural area, with no public visibility and possibly(?) limited cell phone service, would seem a most unfortunate and poor choice.

Do we know what the relation between these two women were? Are they just friends?
Court docs (previously linked) provide VB has had supervised visitation with her children since Nov 2023 (every Saturday), and JK is one of four individuals named by the Court who can supervise visitation. It's my understanding this was the first time JK was called on to supervise. All prior visits have been supervised by another party nominated by the grandmother. MOO

On Tuesday, an unidentified family member of one of the missing moms told NewsNation authorities instructed them to decline media interviews for the time being.

That same source also said Kelley – the wife of a pastor – may have been accompanying Butler, who was reportedly in the middle of a custody battle with her ex, to act as a mediator when picking up her kids, according to the outlet.

Butler's children may have been living with their paternal grandmother at the time.

"As of right now, as the investigation continues and we were requested, we're unsure where these women are or what happened to them," OSBI spokesperson Hunter Mckee, previously told NewsNation. "That unknown is what has created it suspicious for us at this time."

Authorities later found their vehicle in the Oklahoma panhandle, just south of Elkhart. The Yarbrough superintendent said the vehicle was found just south of a school in the district.

Hi All,

I’ve just caught up on this thread - firstly, I hope the women return safely to their loved ones.. I have my concerns though. Cases like these when there’s an upcoming court case rarely have a happy ending.

The police are obviously keeping their cards close to their chests - the lack of information in the media feels odd - I wonder if LE possibly think both or one of these women might still be alive and are being held hostage? If this is the case they might be treading carefully and not wanting to spook somebody by it becoming a huge press story.
I think that LE is following leads and keeping things close to the vest so as not to compromise the investigation.
I don’t have as much faith in an hostage scenario. For what purpose? If VB has been killed, what would be the bargaining chip?

If the car was the dirt road, pointed toward the highway, that would hide the license plate on the back of the car to passers-by on the highway - not that it would matter much, I guess.
Oddly enough, I can actually see the drop off happening at a place like this - especially if the custodial party said, "She's not stepping foot on my property." So they just choose a neutral spot, which they consider public, out in the open, even though it may not be that populated. Years ago, there was a situation in my family, where things weren't amicable, and the drop off location was at a service station on a long stretch of highway. Smart? No, but I bet it happens all the time.
I don't think anything happened at the location they found the car. I think they DID reach their destination, got taken some place and then their car was abandoned at this intersection to throw things off and make the gma's story that they never arrived play.

Without additional information from LE or MSM there's no way to know for certain what happened here. Obviously there are a number of possible scenarios, some more likely that others, but we can't be sure of anything without details from LE.

I do agree this situation appears rather ominous since their car was found abandoned in this rural location, and neither Veronica or Jilian have been heard from since that time.

McKee said investigators were able to determine the two women were in the vehicle together before they went missing.

Both women are involved in church communities in Hugoton, Kansas, according to Butler’s pastor, Tim Singer, with the Hugoton Assembly of God.

Singer described the two mothers as “acquaintances” and said that they were picking up Butler’s children to attend a birthday party when they went missing.

There’s a lot of “shock” and “confusion” in the community amid their mysterious disappearance, he told ABC News

“We’re expecting their return to Hugoton and to see their faces again,” he said.

I don't see it in the most recent articles, but I am assuming that the car was functioning properly when it was found?
I've wondered the same thing. Was the vehicle damaged in any way? Did it have fuel when it was located? What was the vehicle interior like when it was found? Any signs of a struggle or violence inside or outside of the vehicle? Are there fingerprints inside the vehicle, or has everything been wiped clean?

AFAIK that information has not been released by LE or MSM. There's a significant amount of activity in this thread today so it's possible that I've missed that.

I've wondered the same thing. Was the vehicle damaged in any way? Did it have fuel when it was located? What was the vehicle interior like when it was found? Any signs of a struggle or violence inside or outside of the vehicle? Are there fingerprints inside the vehicle, or has everything been wiped clean?

AFAIK that information has not been released by LE or MSM. There's a significant amount of activity in this thread today so it's possible that I've missed that.
Unfortunately, we know little beyond they are missing, that it is a suspicious situation, and that which we gleaned from the now-protected filings. To my mind, that says a lot. As in LE has a pretty good grasp of what exactly is going on.

@floridafreshsqueez @imstilla.grandma @Valhall I’m also in Oklahoma, outside of Tulsa, but currently working in Florida.

After reading the paternal grandmother’s response to the court in one of the filings, I am wondering if she petitioned the court to seal (not sure if correct word) the documents? Is this possible?
Proud Okie here too! Down in the extreme southwest!

<modsnip: quoted post was removed> There is always an element of risk when LE says, “We don’t believe there’s any danger to the public”. It usually means they know that it was a targeted crime. However, they must be sure they know the how and the why before issuing this statement. If they really don’t know, and are only trying to avoid panic, they are putting the public in danger.
Hopefully, they are quietly building their case in preparation for an arrest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members