Found Deceased OR - Anna 'Annie' Schmidt, 21, Columbia River Gorge, 16 Oct 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why wouldn't she have taken her phone? It wasn't dead or it wouldn't have pinged. She liked selfies so even if no signal she still could have taken pictures.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

If her phone didn't hold a charge she probably had a charger in her car. Maybe it was dead or almost dead when she got there, so she left it in the car to charge. The photo would have had to be taken either right when she got there before her phone finally died, or when she came back to her car after it had charged some. If that's the case, she either had to have been abducted right then, or went to investigate something else and got lost.

Her dad went to high school with my sister. I have been to many of his concerts over the years. He would have her come out and sing with him while he played piano. But she was little then. Really feel for this family.

Extremely interesting and detailed post on Annies FB page from AB about the location of the last snapchat pic Annie posted.

Hoping today brings Annie home!

Thank you. Does she have a phone, if so what kind.. How often does she hike is it in this area te majority of the time.or was this a 1st time thing for this area if known.. is this open wood or gated to hike into area . As in public trials or private land.

yu said some as been seen missing tere before.... if it o to ask. are there any cabin or abandon houses/farms lands in these woods. Are these roads near by tar or natural dirt.

if she 5'2 154lbs does have she has a gun license or permit. Ths natural for hikers this is why I asked. Hikers always have some form of protection.

I don't think there are many houses period in that area, although it's been a year or so since I've been out there and I may not be remembering correctly.

It's kind of a weird area, in that it's well-traveled and close to Portland but is also pretty rugged and definitely has potential to be dangerous. I think that due to the popularity of the area a lot of people don't adequately respect the possibility of things going wrong (and I would for sure include myself in this group haha), although in Annie's case, being from out of town, she might have had less of a preconception of the area than someone who grew up there.

I obviously don't know exactly where she was hiking in terms of public vs private, but it seems overwhelmingly likely that she was on or near public trails. There are a ton of them in that part of the gorge. The specific one mentioned that they thought was her destination is not one that I'm personally familiar with.

What's interesting, on her FB page, someone posted the last picture she posted on FB (might've been Snapchat) the day she went missing. It is a landscape shot at sunset. How could she have taken a photo at sunset if her phone was in the car? Wouldn't that mean she came BACK to her car after she took the picture?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Bumping my post from yesterday. Some of Anna's family got lost last night and SAR found them. It also rained last night and it does make stuff slippery when hiking in certain areas.

This is always a tough situation with untrained searchers, easy to get lost and not know how to nav out. Tough call. I totally see how family would want to search. JMO

This is always a tough situation with untrained searchers, easy to get lost and not know how to nav out. Tough call. I totally see how family would want to search. JMO
Me too.

Im really struggling with my hinky meter. Im trying so dang hard to shut it down, but, as I said a page or two back, our weather (for one) was so so bad with warnings all over.
I do know that even some of the parks were closed because of mudslide (s) ,trees going down and huge amounts of rain. Tornados on the coast, thunderstorms etc.
Anna is also part of the LDS community. (I grew up in Idaho where Mormon religion is prominent as well as Utah). Now I live in Oregon in the very area Anna went missing.
Knowing what I know about her religion and to include she has also been on a mission, I absolutely do NOT see her missing church that day, Nor going hiking , on a Sunday, alone, in horrible weather.
Just my opinion and I pray I am wrong.

I think she could have easily gone for a mountain drive after church. My family does that occasionally, especially in the fall when the leaves start to change. If she went for a drive, as her dad says, she is the type to see something beautiful and just go. Maybe she saw something neat and went to investigate. Not all mormons (I am one) would think it inappropriate to hike on a Sunday, especially if she thought it would just be a short walk. I think authorities are operating under that assumption, since she left her hiking gear behind.

I don't think there are many houses period in that area, although it's been a year or so since I've been out there and I may not be remembering correctly.

It's kind of a weird area, in that it's well-traveled and close to Portland but is also pretty rugged and definitely has potential to be dangerous. I think that due to the popularity of the area a lot of people don't adequately respect the possibility of things going wrong (and I would for sure include myself in this group haha), although in Annie's case, being from out of town, she might have had less of a preconception of the area than someone who grew up there.

I obviously don't know exactly where she was hiking in terms of public vs private, but it seems overwhelmingly likely that she was on or near public trails. There are a ton of them in that part of the gorge. The specific one mentioned that they thought was her destination is not one that I'm personally familiar with.

Can i ask you question if it ok. how far this "off trail". from the most popular trails... Also how long would it take to drive to this spot from the starting park entrance.

Makes you wonder if she was abducted. This one sounds similar and in the same area. https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/32242/6/

I'm hoping they are looking at that possibility and maybe they should be asking if anyone saw other vehicles in that parking lot last Sunday evening. I have a hard time believing the breakin wasn't related to her being missing since it sounds as though nothing was taken but someone was looking for something. Also, the photo appears to have been taken near sunset and I assume it was dark or near dark once she returned to her car...just seems odd that she would venture out at night for a hike.

What's interesting, on her FB page, someone posted the last picture she posted on FB (might've been Snapchat) the day she went missing. It is a landscape shot at sunset. How could she have taken a photo at sunset if her phone was in the car? Wouldn't that mean she came BACK to her car after she took the picture?

Is this the picture? If so, it was not posted at sunset. It was posted just before her phone went dead.

1214tc7.jpg

Is this the picture? If so, it was not posted at sunset. It was posted just before her phone went dead.

1214tc7.jpg

IMO, this picture looks a little bit east of the dam, looking west .
You can see the big electrical towers that run bythe dam in the distance.
If we were to look at it at a different angle, that would place her on the Washington side.

Her last snap chat was of the sunset on her hike. Does that mean she made it back to her car (phone found in car) and then ventured out again? Or was her last snap chat using someone else's phone?

I didn't realize that oregonsleuther brought up the same point earlier.

The fact that the photo was not posted at sunset, but right before her phone went dead still doesn't answer the question. She took the photo at sunset. If her phone was found later, dead, in her car, wouldn't she have had to come down from the mountain to put the dead phone in her car sometime AFTER the photo was taken? Or am I completely lost?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrs. Lopes
Back