Found Deceased OR - Anna 'Annie' Schmidt, 21, Columbia River Gorge, 16 Oct 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The time stamp on the photo says it was close to 1:30pm on Sunday the 16th.

I don't understand why it took four days to report her missing and with mom flying in for a visit, did they not communicate about this trip, timing, arrival, airport pickup, etc., etc.? Four days is a lot of time lapse, unfortunately. I agree with the other poster, there are some interesting comments on Annie's facebook, however, unknown if truth or rumors but someone did say Annie's boots were also found in her car along with her cell phone. This makes me think she did make it back to her car and, unfortunately, something went wrong after arrival and ended with her car ransacked. It's beginning to look more and more like foul play to me IMO. There is also a comment about another hiker who disappeared from this same area just a mere 4 weeks ago and search was suspended without finding him.

http://www.oregonlive.com/multnomahcounty/2016/09/authorities_suspend_columbia_r.html

Do we know for sure that that snapchat photo is of a sunset? Could it be of a sunrise? If it was sent/posted in the afternoon before sunset, then was the photo taken from a prior sunset, or that morning's sunrise? What time was she last seen on Sunday?

In this article, Annie's roommate says Annie purchased a tent but that it hadn't been delivered yet. Also, the article shows the last text the roommate received from Annie, which I didn't understand the meaning or when it was received.
http://koin.com/2016/10/23/missing-gorge-hiker-likely-didnt-have-camping-gear/

Do we know for sure that that snapchat photo is of a sunset? Could it be of a sunrise? If it was sent/posted in the afternoon before sunset, then was the photo taken from a prior sunset, or that morning's sunrise? What time was she last seen on Sunday?

In this article, Annie's roommate says Annie purchased a tent but that it hadn't been delivered yet. Also, the article shows the last text the roommate received from Annie, which I didn't understand the meaning or when it was received.

What was the text? I saw it referenced in the article but never saw the words.

I hadn't seen this yet:

“I don’t think she’s still alive. I don’t think she’s survived,” Michelle Schmidt told KOIN 6 News. “Honestly, that brings me comfort knowing she is with her Heavenly Father, that she’s not hurting, that she’s not suffering. But we do want to find her body.”

http://koin.com/2016/10/22/150-volunteers-help-search-for-hiker-in-gorge/

Usually parents cling to hope that their daughter/son is alive until proven otherwise.

More info here....

In an updated statement to Fox 13 News in Salt Lake City, the Schmidts release the full details of what they believe happened and what the next steps are.

Anna, who is called Annie by her family, is believed to have gone hiking alone near the Tooth Rock area in Portland, Oregon. She posted a photo to social media on Sunday, which showed her up in the mountains. By Tuesday, when Annie had failed to respond to messages or continue posting on social media, her family started to grow worried.

Luckily, Annie’s mother Michelle was planning on being in Oregon that Wednesday for a camping trip they had been planning for weeks. However, Michelle’s worry only grew when her daughter failed to pick her up at the airport. She got a rental car and went to Annie’s apartment where her roommate was shocked. She had assumed Annie and her mother had already started their camping trip.

http://www.ldsdaily.com/world/search-continues-annie-schmidt-family-speaks/#.WAu1rDj8oZY.twitter

Whenever I am flying or even when I pick anyone up from the airport the person flying either calls or texts whoEVER is picking them up (something like) "Hey my flight just took off on time" or confirming everything is "still on". (I'm not the best at explaining what I mean sometimes)
It seems like she and her mom didn't touch base the day mom flew in.
I also can't see a mom giving up so soon that daughter not alive.

Whenever I am flying or even when I pick anyone up from the airport the person flying either calls or texts whoEVER is picking them up (something like) "Hey my flight just took off on time" or confirming everything is "still on". (I'm not the best at explaining what I mean sometimes)
It seems like she and her mom didn't touch base the day mom flew in.
I also can't see a mom giving up so soon that daughter not alive.

The text message, along with mom's feeling that Annie is deceased, makes me wonder if the family knows more. For example, was there a history or suspicion of mental illness? That last text message is so odd. Is it possible to delete responses? For example, could the roommate have deleted her own text responses, leaving only the texts from Annie?

The text message, along with mom's feeling that Annie is deceased, makes me wonder if the family knows more. For example, was there a history or suspicion of mental illness? That last text message is so odd. Is it possible to delete responses? For example, could the roommate have deleted her own text responses, leaving only the texts from Annie?

I wonder some of the same things and I found it interesting the text less than 24 hrs of her missing asking if she is alive. I just think if my friend was missing I'd be asking if they are okay and I'm worried...blah blah (but then she seemed surprised anything might have been wrong when her mom arrived). Maybe there were some mental health issues (hard to figure things out when dealing with those that have mental health issues.

On the other hand, a lot of things don't make sense to me. Why would Annie post a sunset picture at 1:25 pm? Maybe she never even went hiking. Maybe someone posted that pic to stage it like she went hiking (sunset at 1:25 pm). I'd be curious to see cell phone pings. Did they move around that day? Did she have any new friends? Exes? I'd like to see a timeline. Too many questions.

One more thing. That photo (if posted by Annie) was somewhere she HAD been but then would've returned to her car. I doubt she'd venture back to the spot she already went to. Just my 2 cents.

Why does she speak about her in past tense??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In one of the above news articles there's a screen shot of the final text with roommate. (I think they call it a snapchat. I'm North of 50 and have no idea about theses things.)

Underneath that final text, there's a line that says:
"you started sharing locations with Annie roommate on Wednesday at 7:09am."

What does that mean?

The last texts were personal messages sent with cell phones (personal text messages can also be sent via computers (macs and PCs) as well as iPads). The last picture was apparently posted via snapchat and twitter (social media and both are different social media types and not related to personal texts). Snapchat deletes photo posts after 24 hours. Twitter posts do not auto-delete and the timestamp for the last photo was 1:25 pm. Hope that helps!

The last texts were personal messages sent with cell phones (personal text messages can also be sent via computers (macs and PCs) as well as iPads). The last picture was apparently posted via snapchat and twitter (social media and both are different social media types and not related to personal texts). Snapchat deletes photo posts after 24 hours. Twitter posts do not auto-delete and the timestamp for the last photo was 1:25 pm. Hope that helps!

Thanks for this info. One more question, what does the "you started sharing your location with Annie Roommate on Wednesday 7:09" mean?

People can share their location with others through various devices. Most only share with close friends/family. To initiate a mutual share, one would share their own location with another and then wait to see if that person will then share their location. Many don't use this but both my kids do (I pay the bill...put mom's mind at ease... I know their general location 24/7)...only check if they forget to fill me in and only one has been busted so far).

In looking at Annie's last text to roommate, it asks "are you coming home to me?" Then she responds to herself "I am." That's simply bizarre. Makes you think someone was confused about which account they were sending texts to/from on. Where are the responses from the roommate for that strange text string? "Are you alive?" doesn't seem to fit in.

With the help of spell check or clumsy fingers, I have sent plenty of bizarre texts myself. 😂 I think she's just saying she's already home.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Required
Back