GUILTY OR - Brooke Wilberger, 19, Eugene, 24 May 2004 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks Anngelique, and your explaination sounds right. This guy has been a POI since the beginning, right? Wouldn't you love to know what it is they have on him to keep him in the last two POI's? Do you think they have examined the green minivan? As Robert says the police don't always let out the truth, and since they say they know where it is, do you think it is right under their nose and in the police garage? Possible, I think. If he isn't co-operating with the police but they have say found one of her hairs in that car, I could easily see why they now need AMW and the public's help in seeing where he could have possibly taken her.

By the way, thanks for writing back!!! I was goin' crazy to hear from someone like you who had a further idea. :blowkiss:

Scandi

scandi said:
Thanks Anngelique, and your explaination sounds right. This guy has been a POI since the beginning, right? Wouldn't you love to know what it is they have on him to keep him in the last two POI's? Do you think they have examined the green minivan? As Robert says the police don't always let out the truth, and since they say they know where it is, do you think it is right under their nose and in the police garage? Possible, I think. If he isn't co-operating with the police but they have say found one of her hairs in that car, I could easily see why they now need AMW and the public's help in seeing where he could have possibly taken her.

By the way, thanks for writing back!!! I was goin' crazy to hear from someone like you who had a further idea. :blowkiss:

Scandi
If it was someone who didn't know her and one of her hairs had been found in his vehicle, he'd be under arrest and the press would be all over this thing.

The green minivan is most likely being used on daily basis by the POI, and LE has undoubtably searched it.

Now, put that together with the request for a sample of a sweatshirt (Zak Hansen's sweatshirt, btw) that Brooke was wearing that day and what do you think that adds up to?

RstJ

scandi said:
I'm wondering why America's Most Wanted is now coming in to work on Brooke's case after it has been a whole year since she disappeared?

Do you think it is because LE might be close to a solution and have contacted AMW as they have the perfect set-up and credibility to get the one tip they need to nail the guy who owns that green minivan? I am having a hard time seeing why it is necessary to find other occurances of this man tailing females or trying to grab them. :confused:

Forgive me, but I just watched 'Suspect Zero' and my mind could be in overdrive! LOL

Scandi
I watched that movie recently too, wasn't that just about the most disturbing movie you have ever see? :eek:

Yes gardenmom,

I haven't even gone to sleep yet for the night and I've already had a nightmare! LOL

So Robert, are you saying that the police requested of Zack a particular sweatshirt or any sweatshirt that was his and he had worn? The police evidently knew Brooke was wearing one of Zack's sweatshirts when she disappeared, right?

Guess I'd have to know you better to ask why you think Zack is somehow suspicious in Brooke's disappearance. But I will anyway. What makes you think there is something there? Are you putting 2 + 2 together about why Brooke was wearing her brother-in-laws sweatshirt when she went missing? I don't see anything interesting about that. Many times I have asked my son for a shirt or sweatshirt of his that I wanted and he would give it to me. Very simple!

Scandi

scandi said:
A pause for thought!

Bhodi, how did this author come up with info that Brooke was taken to a certain place? How reliable do you think it is, in other words, do you think this idea is what investigators working on the case believe as well?

I'm going to have to go back and re-read some earlier posts, as I thought the article stated LE know where the green minivan is and the owner of it is incarcerated on another crime. That's why I wanted to know more about who he is - does anyone know his name?

As to LE giving the public purely false info to get further tips, I don't think they would have to do that Robert. They could just come out and ask that anyone who saw a suspicious green minivan on that date in Corvallis or its proximity, please call us. Right?

Scandi

Hi Scandi! It is sooo good to "talk" to you again! Seems like it has been a long while since the LP forum days and Sandra and the mineral deposits, doesn't it?
I should have said it better. I am VERY good at confusing people. LOL!
I was speaking of the proximity of the commune to where Brooke was last seen...
It hasn't been said where Brooke was taken TO, but instead, where she was taken FROM. The commune is in the Corvalis/Woodburn area. I am tempted to go find it... I think my lovey might shoot me though. LOL! (Like I could find it anyway, I could get lost in a cardboard box :D )
I sure wish I had a copy of that book. I wonder if lynie does. It gives details of names and places... The commune does support some mighty "odd" behaviour- nothing short of - well - "an openess to sexuality"...
I know this sounds absolutely ridiculous... But I can't help hoping that she is alive somewhere, kidnapped by some nutter like Mitchell...
What I find Bizarre Scandi, is all of a "sudden"- this mini van and a man named Brian pops in to the picture... There is a reason for it.
Did ALL of the family members take LDTs? (I can't blame em if they didn't, but I do wonder)

scandi said:
Yes gardenmom,

So Robert, are you saying that the police requested of Zack a particular sweatshirt or any sweatshirt that was his and he had worn? The police evidently knew Brooke was wearing one of Zack's sweatshirts when she disappeared, right?

Guess I'd have to know you better to ask why you think Zack is somehow suspicious in Brooke's disappearance. But I will anyway. What makes you think there is something there? Are you putting 2 + 2 together about why Brooke was wearing her brother-in-laws sweatshirt when she went missing? I don't see anything interesting about that. Many times I have asked my son for a shirt or sweatshirt of his that I wanted and he would give it to me. Very simple!

Scandi
He spells his name Zak. He spelled it out at the press conference. LE wants a "freshjive" sweatshirt, dark blue hoodie, that was last made in 1999-2000. The hoodie was Zak's. He says that's what he last saw Brooke wearing. He won't say where it came from. The best he can do is suggest that "a renter left it behind."

Nevermind why a 5'4" girl would want a sweatshirt from a guy that looks at least 6'3". And nevermind why he can't say where it came from. And nevermind that it was a fairly warm day, even in the morning, and she was supposed to be working which would have kept her warm enough. And nevermind that there's not a single sighting of her, hoodie or no, after 10am. And nevermind we didn't hear any of this until very recently. Let's just focus on the facts:

a) Brooke was wearing her bil's sweatshirt when she vanished.
b) Family members (Zak said 'his wife') were the last people to see her
c) No one saw her after that

Wouldn't you just be a teensy-weensy bit suspicious especially when you later learned that Zak left that day to go "secure a job interview" even though he is clearly listed on the staff directory of the job he currently holds and was listed there as of April 2004?

Or is it easier to lay this on a bogeyman from a commune that is apparently invisible?

RstJ

RobertStJames said:
He spells his name Zak. He spelled it out at the press conference. LE wants a "freshjive" sweatshirt, dark blue hoodie, that was last made in 1999-2000. The hoodie was Zak's. He says that's what he last saw Brooke wearing. He won't say where it came from. The best he can do is suggest that "a renter left it behind."

Nevermind why a 5'4" girl would want a sweatshirt from a guy that looks at least 6'3". And nevermind why he can't say where it came from. And nevermind that it was a fairly warm day, even in the morning, and she was supposed to be working which would have kept her warm enough. And nevermind that there's not a single sighting of her, hoodie or no, after 10am. And nevermind we didn't hear any of this until very recently. Let's just focus on the facts:

Wouldn't you just be a teensy-weensy bit suspicious especially when you later learned that Zak left that day to go "secure a job interview" even though he is clearly listed on the staff directory of the job he currently holds and was listed there as of April 2004?

Or is it easier to lay this on a bogeyman from a commune that is apparently invisible?

RstJ

It's easier to blame it on the boogy man and a commune that DOES exist, but yes, it is "invisible" in the eyes of the "law"...
ETA- could BOTH the boogey man AND Zak be involved? I know- it is all just nuts.

Does anyone know if ALL of the family has taken LDTs?

WHERE IS THIS PLACE???? Anybody know? Is it in Corvallis or Woodburn or where? I've been doing a search but I can't concentrate now that "family guy" is on. heh. I didn't find anything worthwhile anyway......
forgot to add....welcome back Indigo Falls - missed ya!

Robert, if you think Zac is involved in her disappearance, why would you believe anything he siad to LE? We learned that from Scott.

Zac is evidently the one who stated to LE what she was wearing when she left without a trace. If if was his SS, why would he tell them about that? How do you know it was his? Do you know Zac or a friend of his?

And also he was the one who gave the timetable of when she was last seen. If you think he is involved do you then really believe this is the correct aapprox time it really did happen? Does he have a green minivan, or is that really all poppycock to you? Has LE cleared Zac?

So are you intimating they were getting it on and something went wrong and he generated all of this info for LE so they would have something to work on and leave him alone?

Please make yourself clear, and I'd also like to know the root of why you feel this way. You are a good writer but like to talk like the Riddler at times. I'm best at responding when it is laid out in simple form for me to digest.

Things aren't always as they appear, I know. But the family Zac married into seems so above reproach to me. I remember listening to Brooke's father. He was of the same ILK as Dru Sjodin's Dad. And since we know the goodness in this family, if he were a culprit, don't you think this father would have grabbed him by the neck by now and lifted him up plum against a wall?

If he were - and I said IF, involved then LE would have to outsmart him to catch him. Do you think this is why the green minivan was introduced by LE in the case, to draw him out as he would feel most comfortable by now. I mean these cops are very smart. Why would they sit on Zac if they thought he was guilty for a whole year? If he were guilty of this there would be some sign for LE to pick up on and they would be on to him.

Scandi

scandi said:
<...>
If he were - and I said IF, involved then LE would have to outsmart him to catch him. Do you think this is why the green minivan was introduced by LE in the case, to draw him out as he would feel most comfortable by now. I mean these cops are very smart. Why would they sit on Zac if they thought he was guilty for a whole year? If he were guilty of this there would be some sign for LE to pick up on and they would be on to him.

Scandi
Scandi,

Zak. Z-A-K. That's how he spells his name. He spelled it out at the press conference because so many people get it wrong. It's not Zach, Zack, or Zac. Zak.

I know it's his sweatshirt because he said so in an interview. I know somebody in that complex has a green minivan because there was one parked out there four days later. As for the rest, you need to read these articles. Once you do, you'll see what I'm talking about. These are very recent:

Holding firmly onto hope

By Peter Chee
The Daily Barometer

Justin Runquist
The Daily Barometer
Zak Hansen, brother-in-law of Brooke Wilberger, stands Thursday in the
parking lot of Oak Park Apartments, south of the OSU campus, where
Wilberger was last seen on May 24. She had been cleaning the light pole
pictured behind him when she disappeared.

Brooke Wilberger enjoys snowboarding and has a soft spot for frogs.
That's what Zak Hansen, Brooke's brother-in-law, says.

It wasn't quite noon yet on Thursday at Oak Park Apartments. A clear
sky stretched overhead, crossing higher yet with the white vapor trail
of a passing jetliner. It was a bright day, but Hansen stood quietly in
the parking lot, mere feet from the light pole where his sister-in-law
was last seen nearly a year ago.

It was bright and sunny that day, too, Hansen said.

In the time since Brooke went missing on May 24, Hansen says the
Wilberger family has been set on a "roller coaster" of emotions, with
the search and abduction investigation drawing nationwide support and
media coverage.

Investigators most recently sent out a request to the general public
asking anyone with a "FreshJive" hooded sweatshirt (made between 1999
and 2000), similar to the one Wilberger wore when she disappeared, to
submit dye and fiber for the crime lab to help in the investigation.

Hansen, a Corvallis native and father of three, said he and other
members of the Wilberger family are not attention-seekers. But Hansen
meets for interviews and appears at press conferences because media
attention accomplishes one thing: keeping his missing sister-in-law
fresh in the minds of the public.

"It can be very tiresome, it's very emotionally taxing," Hansen said.
"I said on that first day that we'd look for Brooke, if I can help in
some way I'll do it."

It was around midday when Wilberger was most likely abducted, Hansen
said. It was in broad daylight with heavy traffic along the highway
adjacent to the small parking lot where she was last seen.

Hansen says he believes people possess an "innate" sense to notice
things that appear out of place or wrong. He is convinced someone
witnessed something.

"She could be anywhere," he said. "Somebody out there knows something;
they just may not know it."

To Hansen, Wilberger was part of his immediate family, living with them
in the summer months, staying at Oak Park during the week and going
home on weekends.

"She is family," he said.

Wilberger and Hansen would snowboard together often.
Brooke Wilberger

"She was getting pretty good," he said.

To Hansen, Wilberger was a typical college student who happened to like
frogs. Wilberger enjoyed comedy in movies; the last movie Hansen saw
with her was the Ben Stiller and Jack Black comedy "Envy."

"She would see the humor in a lot of things," Hansen said. "There's not
a day I don't think about her."

On May 24, Hansen was in town securing a job offer. Otherwise, he would
have stayed at the apartments, which he managed with his wife,
Stephanie (Brooke's sister), to help Wilberger clean the light poles
lining the south end of the complex beside Philomath highway.

The bucket Wilberger was using to clean the row of small, white, light
poles was found beside the second to last pole.

"She had two more to do, then she was done," he said.

Hansen has replayed the day's events over and over in his mind. It's
best not to dwell on the "what ifs," he concluded.

But still, there are nightmares, he said.

"I was devastated," he said. "I kept looking for her; in my mind, I
couldn't see this happening in Corvallis."

Hansen said he figured Wilberger stubbed her toe and had gotten a ride
to the doctor. The thought of Brooke being abducted had not yet entered
his mind.

After his own search proved unsuccessful, Hansen was the one who made
the first call to the police. It was 3 p.m.

Having been born and raised in Corvallis and as the son of OSU alumni,
Hansen never thought an abduction was possible, especially one
involving Wilberger.

"I grew up a big fan of the university," he said. "This community is
where I wanted to raise my family."

Earlier in the 2003-04 school year, the near-abduction of a female
student shook the BYU campus, where Wilberger was studying to become a
teacher.

Because of the incident, Hansen said, Wilberger was well aware of her
surroundings and especially her safety.

"Brooke was extremely conscious of these things," he said. "We know she
fought hard."

Hansen said it's been months since he had last seen Oak Park
Apartments. He and his family were already considering moving out of
their apartment of four years because of a new job offer when Wilberger
went missing.

Walking through the complex on Thursday morning, Hansen noticed subtle
differences amongst the light yellow buildings: new flowers planted in
one spot, a tree removed from another. He said his family made good
friends with many of the tenants over the years.

Hansen said the ongoing joint law enforcement investigation has been
"very professional."

For Hansen, every person removed from the person of interest list is
progress in the investigation. He says he meets frequently with local
police investigators.

"I look at these guys as friends," he said. "I know they're working
very hard."

Many of the investigators have been personally affected by the case,
Hansen said, mentioning one detective in particular who feels close to
the investigation.

"In his mind, she is family now," he said.

For the Wilberger family, Hansen says there are good and bad days for
everyone. But when support is needed, the family has always stuck
together.

"We're doing OK. We've had a strong family," he said.

Hansen said he is continually amazed and thankful for the outpouring of
support from the public.

"A lot of people are genuinely concerned; it's good to see that people
still care," Hansen said.

In the weeks following Wilberger's disappearance, Hansen said it was
difficult for him to see young women walking alone. For a time, he
considered moving away from his hometown.

But the immense response from the Corvallis community with hundreds
helping in search and investigation efforts quickly changed his mind.

Hansen works as an assistant director of development for the OSU
Foundation. He said he's always moved when seeing students wearing pink
"findbrooke.com" bracelets.

"Seeing students with them on, that's neat," he said. "Brooke wasn't an
OSU student, but that doesn't matter."

He said he often approaches students wearing the bracelets and
compliments them.

"I'll never be able to thank enough people," he said.

Hansen said the Wilberger family is well aware of statistics involving
kidnapped victims, but at this point, there is no reason for them to
believe Brooke isn't still alive.

In time, Hansen said, he hopes that there will at least be closure, an
answer, be it for better or worse. He said her 20th birthday was in
February.

"Brooke is a very caring individual," Hansen smiled. "She is the glue
to our family."
Peter Chee, city editor

Wilberger's family looking for sweatshirt

By Jennifer Nitson
Gazette-Times reporter

Zak Hansen doesn't quite remember where he got his indigo-blue
"FreshJive" sweatshirt - maybe it was left behind when a renter moved
out of one of the apartments in the complex he manages, he said.

He knows where he last saw it though. Brooke Wilberger, Hansen's
sister-in-law, put it on before going out to clean lampposts at the
apartment complex on the morning of May 24, 2004.

She has not been seen since.

To assist the multi-agency taskforce in it's investigation of the
19-year-old Veneta woman's disappearance, her family recently posted a
new appeal on the "Find Brooke" Web site for help from the public:

Anyone with an indigo FreshJive sweatshirt, with the logo printed in
white, similar to the one Wilberger wore the day she was abducted, is
asked to call the Corvallis Police Department at 766-6989. An image of
the shirt can be found at www.findbrooke.com.

The FreshJive company made and marketed the indigo sweatshirts during
1999 or 2000, said Capt. Jon Sassaman.

The request for an identical or similar sweatshirt does not indicate
any new leads or developments in the case, Sassaman said.

"There's no comparisons that we're making right now," he said. "The
sweatshirt would be used in the future if we ever needed it for fiber
comparison."

Investigators had no trouble pulling together samples of jeans or a
T-shirt like Wilberger wore, Sassaman said, but the specific indigo dye
color of the sweatshirt is not easy to duplicate. The taskforce was
recently informed by FreshJive that, following an exhaustive search,
the company was not able to provide a replica.

Wilberger's family welcomes the chance to help the investigation in any
way, Hansen said of the Web site request.

"We understand that this (the sweatshirt) is just another part of it
and that sooner or later they may need this type of tool," he said.

Corvallis police detectives, along with the FBI, Oregon State Police,
the Benton County Sheriff's Office and the Benton County District
Attorney's Office continue to follow leads on three unnamed "person's
of interest," Sassaman said.

Sung Koo Kim, 30, of Tigard, and Loren Krueger, 46, of Lebanon have
recently been removed from the list, following investigations into both
men that began shortly after Wilberger disappeared.

To Hansen this means the investigation is active, he said.

"A lot of people have asked if we were disappointed when Mr. Kim was
eliminated as a person of interest," Hansen said. "I see it as a
positive thing that people are taken off (the list) and they've gone
through their processes of eliminating these people."

Hansen added that he has confidence in the task force and that he and
his family have come to regard some of the detectives as friends.
"I've just seen nothing but good work and real professionalism," Hansen
said. "They're working really hard. I'm confident, personally, that
we're going to get an outcome at some point. ... There's times when you
get impatient, but as a family we want the investigation to be
thorough."

RobertStJames said:

RstJ

All I can say is that I would not give much of a thought to the sweatshirt deal. I am about an hour and half from Corvallis and know that even if a day ends up being beautiful and warm in May, the AM can still be chilly. Especially if she was working in the shade or working with water while cleaning. Also not unusual for a teen to be wearing a hoodie at any time.

As far as where the sweatshirt came from? Well, right now I am looking at a pair of boys shorts and have no clue where they came from, or why they were in my laundry!! If Zak and his wife were managing the apts., they had to clean the units and probably found it and put it somewhere where someone else found it and washed it. Maybe they thought it would make a good sweatshirt for the beach or cleaning and knew they were not going to see the renter again. No big deal....

And you must not have a teenage girl living with you....my 85lb 4ft 11inch teen is always grabbing someones sweatshirt....her brothers, her dads. She will get cold at school and come home with a friends. Doesn't matter how big the owner of the shirt is....her dad is over 6ft as are many of her friends. and she is not alone in this action, her friends do the same thing....In fact I too will come in the house and grab whatever sweatshirt is the closest....

As for the possibility of "the boogieman from some invisable commune" after the Elizabeth Smart case anything is possible and holds just about as much water as the "evil brother-in-law" theory.

Good for us that we can ponder all of the possibilities.....

lynie said:
All I can say is that I would not give much of a thought to the sweatshirt deal. I am about an hour and half from Corvallis and know that even if a day ends up being beautiful and warm in May, the AM can still be chilly. Especially if she was working in the shade or working with water while cleaning. Also not unusual for a teen to be wearing a hoodie at any time.

As far as where the sweatshirt came from? Well, right now I am looking at a pair of boys shorts and have no clue where they came from, or why they were in my laundry!! If Zak and his wife were managing the apts., they had to clean the units and probably found it and put it somewhere where someone else found it and washed it. Maybe they thought it would make a good sweatshirt for the beach or cleaning and knew they were not going to see the renter again. No big deal....

And you must not have a teenage girl living with you....my 85lb 4ft 11inch teen is always grabbing someones sweatshirt....her brothers, her dads. She will get cold at school and come home with a friends. Doesn't matter how big the owner of the shirt is....her dad is over 6ft as are many of her friends. and she is not alone in this action, her friends do the same thing....In fact I too will come in the house and grab whatever sweatshirt is the closest....

As for the possibility of "the boogieman from some invisable commune" after the Elizabeth Smart case anything is possible and holds just about as much water as the "evil brother-in-law" theory.

Good for us that we can ponder all of the possibilities.....

Welcome to the world of snowboard hoodies.
Fresh Jive is still pretty popular in snowboard land. I have umpteen million of em. Love em. Can't get enough. I have found them everywhere. On the side of the road even. LOL! Lovey can't stand it because I hijack his (the bigger the better :D My fav. is an xxxL QuickSilver blue hoodie complete with racing stripes down the arms. You are VERY right Lynie, here, it IS cold in the AM, and boy, I just LOVE my hoodies. If she was in to snowboarding, I can see why she would snag a FreshJiver.
I am going to have to ask my friends. I can't believe the company can't find any of those sweatshirts. FreshJivers roam the snowboarding planets, but I am not sure if I have seen that particular color in a while. I would check every Goodwill in the colder snowboard/skateboard areas if I were LE. I could see these sweatshirts up near Hood (I wonder where they rode?) - Goodwill in Sandy, or in Gresham might be a good place. Every full on year round rider hits those stores, and also gets rid of their stuff at the end of the summer so they don't have to cart it all over the planet... I know I did.
The Japanese that spend the summer collecting new stuff over the have to dump the "old stuff" before they hop planes back to Japan. They either donate it to Good Will, or throw it in the dumpster. :( ( DI rect From a former dumpster diver at the end of the summer up at Hood talkin here!) LOL!
I sure hope that they haven't given up looking for that sweatshirt! Heck put out an APB at High Cascade and Windell's up at HOOD LE!!

Ummm, and one more thing- if she was "getting better" at snowboarding, It makes my HEAD SPIN that he would think she "hurt herself by stubbing her TOE" ummmmm I wish BEANER were here to give you details of the backsnap gnarler so popular in the learning curve (and beyond) in snowboarding... :confused: :confused:

I find nothing at all unusual about Brooke borrowing a sweatshirt found abandoned in an apartment by her bil. Nor of Zak's discussions of Brooke to the media. The only thing that sounds funny is his statement about stubbing her toe, and he could've been quoted out of context or the interviewer didn't write down his complete answer. We don't know exactly what he said. But since he is insistent that he was the last person who saw Brooke, I would bet he has been thoroughly investigated by LE and cleared.

CaliKid said:
I find nothing at all unusual about Brooke borrowing a sweatshirt found abandoned in an apartment by her bil. Nor of Zak's discussions of Brooke to the media. The only thing that sounds funny is his statement about stubbing her toe, and he could've been quoted out of context or the interviewer didn't write down his complete answer. We don't know exactly what he said. But since he is insistent that he was the last person who saw Brooke, I would bet he has been thoroughly investigated by LE and cleared.
Actually, we know exactly what he said since he said the same thing, almost word for word, at a press conference a few hours before this interview. It's on tape. You should listen to it. It will change your mind about this case. It'll remind you of someone:

http://www.ci.corvallis.or.us/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=1720&Itemid=1592

As for the sweatshirt--just how many of you out there have younger, much prettier, sisters-in-law who borrow your husband's clothes?

RstJ

i also think too much is being made of the sweatshirt...

i am brooke's age, and like other girls my size (skinny) i get cold easily. I'm sure she went out and started cleaning and then caught a gust of wind or something (maybe she didn't want HER shirt to get dirty or something?) and went in and asked for a jacket/hoodie.

Also, even besides the temperature factor, a hoodie is just plain more comfortable. I'm not sure what kinda shirt she was wearing underneath, but maybe it was too tight/itchy/uncomfortable and especially when doing manual labor, a hoodie or comfortable sweater makes getting work done much more comfortable.

I talked to my friend and daycare mom who works for the Salem 911 Center. She said they would have most definitely taken the call for Rickreal. She said they handle Rickreal, Dallas, Monmouth, Independence, Salem and other out lying areas.

Now there was a question as to why the 911 center did not get the phone number. She said that is common with cell phones. Some show up, some show up with a wrong number and some don't show at all. She said that all has to do with that phase 1, phase 2 911 that has been in the news. I did not want to act too ignorant because I have heard nothing about it. She also said that if you knew how many calls they get for speeding and reckless driving they get, that because it is an everyday occurance (many, many times a day) that she is pretty sure the operator was not feeling like this was an extreme high priority. Not to say they would not handle it as normal, but they sure did not put a connection with that call and someone being abducted. (Of course Brooke was not even reported missing at this stage of the day) She said when the cell phone was disconnected they would automatically call back but either the number did not show (which is her guess since they are asking for Brian to call back) or they got a wrong number with the number that did show. (Again, she said this is common with cell phones) Oh yeah, she said many people keep old cell phones without service just to use for a 911 situation. They also can't be tracked. So I guess the phase 1 and phase 2 has something to do with towers reporting cell phone tracking or something. I will have to look it up to get a more in depth idea of what she was talking about.

Wireless Phase 1 service provides the calltaker at the answering point with a call-back number and an address of the tower that receives the call. This provides the calltaker the capability to call back the person who dialed 911 and was disconnected. Additionally it provides the emergency response resources with a rough geographic area from which the call is originating.

Phase 2 calls. This means that call takers in these counties will be able to receive location information in the form of latitude/longitude coordinates so they can more readily locate the caller who has placed the 911 call.

I live in Southern Oregon and have read reports in the local newspapers, etc. If I recall correctly, the sister had left at approximately 10:00 a.m. to take her kid(s) to preschool. She returned around 10:30 and Brooke was nowhere to be seen. If she returned at 10:30, how could Brooke has disappeared at 10:50 a.m. as noted on the posters. Also, why didn't the sister report her missing. One of the posts indicated that the brother-in-law was the one that reported her missing at 3:00 p.m. because he thought she might have "stubbed her toe" and went to the hospital (without her cell phone or purse?). That's 4+ hours. If the brother-in-law wasn't home when this happened, why didn't the sister report her missing or call someone. I have three sisters and I would freak out if they weren't where I left them, but their stuff was still there.

Anngelique said:
I talked to my friend and daycare mom who works for the Salem 911 Center. She said they would have most definitely taken the call for Rickreal. She said they handle Rickreal, Dallas, Monmouth, Independence, Salem and other out lying areas.

<...>
So I guess the phase 1 and phase 2 has something to do with towers reporting cell phone tracking or something. I will have to look it up to get a more in depth idea of what she was talking about.
Interesting. You might ask her how it is that LE was able to get a description of this call including time, place, make of vehicle, and first name, even though the 911 tapes are erased every six months. At least, that's what the stories said. I'm curious to find out if that's really the case or not. And, naturally, whether she knows anything about this particular call at 11am, Mon, May 24, 2004.

RstJ

I didn't word my comment correctly about my guess as to who the perp is. I should have said, my guess as to who the POI is, that LE thinks may be the perp.

Also, I surely hope LE means Law Enforcement, because that is the way I have been interpreting it for a quite a while now.

Oh, to my knowledge 911 calls are public information. When I was assaulted, I was able to buy a copy of the call that the person made. It was fascinating to hear the drug-ridden voice talking nonsense, and compare it to my call. The way the person tried to cover their rear was incredible. Police did ask me why I wanted it, though. I told them, and there was no problem. I don't know if there are certain ones they hold out from releasing to the public and/or certain ones they only sell if they like your reasons. The lady who works at a 911 call center may know, or the front desk person at the local police department might know.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dylanfoxx
Back