GUILTY OR - Brooke Wilberger, 19, Eugene, 24 May 2004 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Man charged in the murder of Brooke Wilberger. Her body has not been found. Per Greta.

but that the individual had already been in custody as a suspect in a sexual assault on a foreign-exchange student in New Mexico. And that he is being charged with murder in Brooke's case.

Bring Maura home!

Is this breaking news today? It is the first I have heard anything about Brooke in a long time, and I'm in Portland right N of Corvallis! There has been nothing on the local news here either, and I never miss it as you can imagine. LOL

Scandi

How interesting,
On June 18th, our poster named Mysteiew {sp} wrote this post. Was there no news articles about the van being found in Az?

"The Corvallis Police Department is dispelling rumors that a green van associated with the Brooke Wilberger disappearance was found in Arizona, giving investigators what they needed to solve the case.

Police also asked the man who identified himself as "Brian" and called 911 the day of Wilberger's disappearance to contact the police department.

http://www.gazettetimes.com/article...ty/friloc03.txt

Scandi

Man jailed in rape case

The cooperation of an alleged victim and another woman leads to a quick arrest in Albuquerque.

By Arthur Simoni
Tribune Reporter

A helpful witness helped take a dangerous man off the streets, says Officer Trish Ahrensfield, an Albuquerque Police Department spokeswoman.

Joel Patrick Courtney, 38, is charged with first-degree criminal sexual penetration, kidnapping and aggravated battery after police caught up with him Tuesday at 2105 Renard Place S.E.
http://web.abqtrib.com/archives/news04/120204_news_kidnap.shtml

BlueClouds,

Do you think this guy has confessed to the crime? Do you think the police know where her body is? Questions, more Questions, I'm sorry, but it is such a sudden happening I am almost in a state of shock. I felt very passionate about Brookes having gone missing at all, much less without a trace, that it even maximizes the shock that I feel.

Scandi

Thanks Bhodi,

This story is les than 4 hours old. He was not sitting in jail, but roaming the streets. And he is bu!! ugly - scary, isn't he. Poor Brooke. OMGT, can you imagine this guy accosting you with a knife?

I hope he has confessed. Wonder if Corvallis was looking for this guy and already knew he was the one?

Scandi

I don't think this guy has confessed at all! :furious: COWARD .

It even states that in the article that he's "NOT RESPONSIBLE" for Brookes disappearance. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I wonder why he murdered Brooke but raped the other girl and then dumped her off alive? The article was kind of confusing...did he let her go or did she get her hands untied and escape from the car and run? You wouldn't think he would have let her go because she could identify him. It sounds like he drove the girl to another parking lot and that is when she either got away or he let her go.

I wish that they would find out that he dropped Brooke off somewhere and she is alive but can't remember who she is...wishful thinking I know.

It will be interesting to see how LE came to the conclusion that this guy kidnapped Brooke and murdered her.

I look at Brooke's pictures and she is such a pretty sweet girl. So sad.

What a scum. Maybe he'll get the death penalty? I'm saddened by this, but know the family is relieved that this perv can no longer prey on young women. Thanks for the early update. I've been reading about this for some time.

PS...That original person of interest "Panty Perv" needs to be off the streets, as well. It seemed as if that sicko could do something horrible, if the opportunity presented itself. What if someone had caught him in the act of stealing all those panties?

Hi Bobbie,

In one of the articles from tonight, it says LE will not need any more tips from the public and also that her finddrew site will be taken down. Sounds like they are much more than positive that he is the one who killed her and they must have evidence of her death to say this, right?

On the local news tonight it talked about his family who are from Beaverton Or. They said in May of 2004 he came back to Beaverton from down South and that he was picked up on a DUII the same day that Brooke went missing. He would have to have driven by Corvallis on his way up to the Portland area. They said the family who is a lovely family acc to the neighbors, have been working with LE for months now.

So therefore we could deduce that he could have left evidence in their home or in a vehicle that tracked back to Brooke, which is what furthered the case. It is exactly like what Dr Henry Lee said last night on LKL, get a piece of evidence that connects the two and then question him about the evidence and what it tells in the story of the crime.

The Corvallis police have been so professional in this case that I'm sure all their i's are dotted. I just want to know what the evidence was that linked him to her death.

Gee, this means they must have proof that she is dead. That has to be pretty substantial evidence, don't you think. Like a weapon with his fingerprints on it and her blood. And if he was drunk he was probably very sloppy and left a mountain of clues.

Just wind me up, get me going . . . . . .LOL

Scandi

Why would the family immediately take down the web site? Her body hasn't been found yet. LE either has info that they know what happened to the body or has already located it.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/1123063670114990.xml&coll=7

Man accused in Wilberger case
Benton County serves a murder warrant on Joel P. Courtney, jailed in New Mexico, in Brooke Wilberger's 2004 disappearance
Wednesday, August 03, 2005
BRYAN DENSON
and BOAZ HERZOG

Police served a murder warrant Tuesday on a New Mexico prisoner in the disappearance of college student Brooke Wilberger, 14 months after the 19-year-old woman vanished from a Corvallis apartment complex without a trace.

snip..........................

Noble told The Associated Press that Wilberger hasn't been found. "We still don't know where Brooke is," he said.

Courtney, who has lived in Oregon, Alaska, New Mexico and Florida, also served three months in jail in Washington County after a May 16, 1991, conviction for sex abuse and escaping from authorities.

"We believe justice needs to be served," said Dina McBride of Beaverton, Courtney's sister. "He has a long history of involvement in things that have been hurtful to many people, and he needs to be held accountable for those behaviors."

McBride, who described herself as a spokeswoman for her family, said she was aware that her brother would be charged with murder and said her family has cooperated with the task force investigating Wilberger's disappearance for several months.

Courtney lived in New Mexico with his wife and three young children prior to last fall's arrest, she said.

Benton County authorities have called a 2 p.m. news conference today in Corvallis to release details about how they connected Courtney to Wilberger's abduction.

"This is the correct guy and we'll have more information," Noble said.

snip..............................
more at link..................

Wilberger's close friend and would-be BYU roommate Brittany Knight expressed hope Tuesday that the body of her friend would be found now that a suspect is in custody.

The Wilberger family was apprised of the recent developments in the case but would not comment when contacted Tuesday by multiple media outlets.

The Corvallis Police Department has scheduled a press conference for this afternoon.
http://www.deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600153184,00.html

Here are a few snips from this lengthy article. They are having a press conference at 2 PM Pacific and we will find out more. What a complete this guy is! I pray for Brooke's family!

http://katu.com/stories/78803.html

According to a record check ran by KATU News, Courtney has a criminal history in both Oregon and New Mexico that includes sexual abuse charges.

In 1985 at 19 years old, Courtney went to prison where he did nine years of hard time in the Oregon Department of Corrections for a sex abuse case out of Washington County.

Other items on his record include felonies, misdemeanors and violations, but perhaps the most interesting bit of information is what happened after Courtney was arrested on a drunk driving charge in January of 2004.

Courtney was supposed to appear in court on May 24, 2004, the same day Brooke Wilberger disappeared, but he never showed up.

Court records show he called the Lincoln County Court to say he was in Corvallis on his way to Newport that day, but he never made his appointment.

As for the incident involving a student at the University of Mexico, the victim told police Courtney pulled a knife on her and demanded she get into a car. She said she was then tied up with a shoestring and sexually assaulted.

She was able to break free and run for help. Her ability to identify Courtney and get him locked up may have been just the alarm Corvallis police needed to look in his direction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Momo1
Back