Found Deceased OR - Dennis Day, 76, former original Disney Mouseketeer, Phoenix, Jackson Co, 15 July 2018 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes, Ernie (his husband) was experiencing onset of dementia/short term memory loss and was unable to provide information.
I was questioning if LE attempted to find Dennis’s relatives when his disappearance was reported. Would they try to locate family as part of their investigation? To see if Dennis was with another family member?
IDK

Dennis Day: Body Found at Missing Disney Mouseketeer's Home

"Ernie was in the hospital at that time, and he realized Dennis hadn’t come to visit him in a few weeks" Adkins told Dateline. "So he had someone from the hospital call the police and report Dennis as missing."

Adkins said in February that police had not contacted Day's family, who reside in California, until six months after his disappearance, because they had no record of close family other than Caswell, who was unable to provide the information due to his condition.

The home had been previously searched, along with local cemeteries and canals, but there was no sign of Day. Police also found Day's car about 200 miles away on the Oregon coast in the possession of two strangers who claimed Day had let them borrow it. After searching the vehicle, authorities found no sign of foul play.

Dennis Day Dead: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know | Heavy.com

Human remains found inside the Oregon home of entertainer Dennis Day are believed to be those of the original Mouseketeer. Though officials have not confirmed Day is dead, his sister shared a post on Facebook referring to her brother as being in Heaven.

Day, who would have turned 76 on Sunday, was reported missing in July of 2018. If the body is that of Day, which appears to be now widely reported but not confirmed, it’s not clear why the Mouseketeer was not located sooner given where his body was discovered.

Day, who was one of the original cast members of the Mickey Mouse Club in the mid-1950s, disappeared from the small town of Phoenix, Oregon.

Day told his partner of a near half-century Ernest Caswell, that he was off to visit friends. Caswell, who suffers from dementia had been hospitalized and now lives in a nursing facility, alerted friends. and police were called.

A search was made of his home, property and nearby woods and waterways, it was reported. But, his car was found hundreds of miles away being used by two people who said they’d borrowed it. Friends of Day’s said they did not know the people who had Day’s car. Police searched it and said there was no sign of foul play. That was nearly nine months ago.

A Facebook page was created by family and friends to help find the missing man. Now, the page is filled with sadness and grief.

Here’s what you need to know:

[...]

I just caught the tail end of the KOBI newscast at 5:00 and they reported that the autopsy was unsuccessful in making an identification.
Wow, that baffles me. Even with the decomposition expected, couldn't they compare DNA to his toothbrush or hairbrush or some other item in the home that would be his?

Or certainly dental records. What was done to Dennis and his remains?
I'm inclined to agree with those who speculated about a hoarding situation. I know that such situations could affect the normal decomposition of a body (I've read about mummified remains found in hoards) and I assume some situations could cause increased decomp as well (ie bugs, mold etc). But even if the remains were just skeletal, I still can't quite see how no ID could be made in his own home, where presumably, regardless of the condition of the home, his DNA should be easily found.

I think this is going to be the case, as well, unfortunately. It’s such an unusual case with more than one unusual circumstance.

It certainly is strange.
Every darn thing about this case is hinky hinky hinky

The fact that his assets (except the car) were untouched makes me think the 'handyman' thought he was also in a facility with the husband, nabbed the car and left. In my mind, that's about as hinky as it got. Not sure these gentlemen HAD a lot of assets, and I still wonder about hoarding like I did at the beginning.

The fact that his assets (except the car) were untouched makes me think the 'handyman' thought he was also in a facility with the husband, nabbed the car and left. In my mind, that's about as hinky as it got. Not sure these gentlemen HAD a lot of assets, and I still wonder about hoarding like I did at the beginning.
You are usually spot on with your assessments! Guess we'll see how this plays out. Who were these people with his car?! Such a sad story all around.

I just caught the tail end of the KOBI newscast at 5:00 and they reported that the autopsy was unsuccessful in making an identification.

I’ll continue to look for a link...

This is from KOBI5, so maybe this is what you heard. Good article.
Update on body found in original Mouseketeer's home - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

Despite an autopsy Monday afternoon, Sgt. Proulx of Oregon State Police says identifying the body is proving to be difficult.

“There’s no wallet to match up… the dental records aren’t available and that’s usually a pretty easy one we can do locally,” he said.

Sgt. Proulx says Day’s home was previously searched by the Phoenix Police Department, but it’s unclear how it was done and why the body wasn’t found earlier.

Oregon State Police says they’ll be sending the evidence off to Texas for DNA testing.

At the Help Us Find Dennis Day page, if you scroll down and look for a posting by an admin whose initials are R.R., posted on Nov 9, 2018, she gave quite a detailed account of events she learned of up until then. Very interesting.

https://facebook.com/groups/FindDennisDay/

Hhhmmm, I keep clicking Show More Posts but didn't find Nov. 10. :mad:

(Not on FaceBook otherwise, maybe those with pages see more? Nov. 9 is a photograph of someone, possibly with tools?)

At the Help Us Find Dennis Day page, if you scroll down and look for a posting by an admin whose initials are R.R., posted on Nov 9, 2018, she gave quite a detailed account of events she learned of up until then. Very interesting.

Oops, sorry, date wrong in my prior post.
Should be R.R.’s Nov. 10 post.

Hhhmmm, I keep clicking Show More Posts but didn't find Nov. 10. :mad:

(Not on FaceBook otherwise, maybe those with pages see more? Nov. 9 is a photograph of someone, possibly with tools?)
I think this is what you are talking about, slowpoke :), and since it was posted by an admin., I believe it’s OK to link:
Rosanne Reynolds

ETA: I just reviewed the social media rules and realized that “posts by an owner or admin may be copied or quoted. This refers primarly to posts or tweets by MSM reporters, and announcements by law enforcement, the immediate family, or the admin of a group support page.”
Rules - Social Media - Facebook, Twitter, etc.

RR’s post is rather lengthy, but it is very informative, IMO, so here you go ;):

November 9, 2018
“Okay, so I spent an hour on Wed talking to the officer in charge of Dennis' case, Lt Price of the Phoenix OR Missing Persons Dept. Then, I spent an hour on Thurs talking to a close friend of D & E in Oregon, [KP], who has assumed Power of Attorney (so they won't lose the house) & is regularly visiting Ernie. (I hope he will add to or correct me if I am wrong about anything here.)This is a composite of information received, (liberally mixed with my judgement, I'm sure):

Dennis seems to have disappeared 2 weeks before the Lt. was contacted & opened the case. The backstory is that Ernie had had colon cancer at an earlier date, & had a colostomy bag; otherwise he was physically in reasonable shape, but had fallen a few times; he had also been slowly succumbing to increasing dementia. Dennis was taking care of him, & was getting very depressed doing so. To complicate matters, they had a friend ([“RM”] as in roommate) living with them who had been homeless for awhile & who has some mental problems- Ernie was adamant that he stay, Dennis wanted him to go. Now, Dennis has been incredibly reclusive for some years, so that was to be expected. Ernie wanted [RM] there to do work on the house, which by all accounts he was doing. Given their circumstances, the house had evidently become quite a pit, the way that many older, reclusive, failing peoples' sometimes do - garbage, dog feces, dirt, rotting food. How long it had been that way I don't know; hopefully not too long. They were no longer cooking, Meals on Wheels delivered to them. Shortly before Ernie's fall, Dennis started to claim that [RM] was abusing him; even signed a letter claiming that [RM] had hit him. It is very hard to say if that actually occurred. The Lt. doesn't feel that [RM] would be capable of that. [KP] says that in general, [RM] couldn't hurt a fly, but that at that time he was beginning to use meth (which could mean all bets were off).

Then Ernie fell, & was taken by ambulance to a care facility. The Lt. says that both [RM] & Ernie told him separately that Dennis said he was going to go & visit friends, then [RM] said he left. Two things concern me here: one is that he left his dog & the car at the house in [RM’s] care - I can't imagine Dennis doing that if he were just visiting friends. The second is that [RM] told the Lt. that Ernie had died - that he had been taken away in an ambulance, & so of course he must have died. He really seems to have thought so; the Lt. shocked him when he told him that Ernie was quite alive. If [RM] told Dennis that, who knows what Dennis would do? He was terribly afraid that Ernie would go first. I will jump ahead here & say that the Lt. has searched the vicinity for bodies in case Dennis were a suicide; he has found nothing (& of course he is in touch w/ neighboring communities.

So, 2 weeks after Ernie's move to Care, Meals on Wheels reported to Missing Persons that they were concerned that Dennis had disappeared. Then their car disappeared. (This is all still in very late July.) The very next day, their car was found on the Oregon coast with a man & woman inside; they told the police that Dennis Day had lent it to them. [RM] said the same thing. There was nothing to hold them on, & the car was impounded. Lt. Price called in favors & had the car checked out forensically; there was no trace of a struggle or injurious DNA. So still, nothing to hold anyone on. When Lt. Price questioned [RM] again, he found 2 women doing their laundry in the washer & dryer that lived on D & E's porch - again, they said that Dennis had said it was okay; again, there was nothing to hold them on, though they were sent packing. At that point, the Lt. also told [RM] that he had to leave, and he did. (And with [KP] now taking care of the house, [RM] has not been back. The dog, by the way, was taken by & is being spoiled by the Meals on Wheels lady.)

And since then, crickets. [KP] says that Ernie's short-term memory is terrible, but that he can still speak his languages & that he asks about Dennis. The facility wanted to send him home a long time ago because he was costing money, but initially the Lt. told them that Ernie couldn't return home, because the place was a bio-hazard, & they kept him. Now Ernie's safe on Medicaid, & though he wants to go home, he's otherwise comfortable. He is at [a residential care facility].

[SBM]

So now the plan: I will be writing a media piece about the Missing Mouseketeer to hopefully give to the Oregon & No. California media for I hope a human interest story that goes viral. (I will have better PR people than I vet it, edit it, & I will run it by the Lt. first, of course). I hope to have the piece done by the end of the weekend. Any of you who are in the biz are welcome to help, or vet it. I feel that getting the word out in a big way, however belated, is our best chance.

[SBM]” (BBM)

Last edited:

Thanks for this, slowpoke, it did have a lot of background information I wasn’t aware of. Unusual set of circumstances, for sure.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kendybee
Back