Found Deceased OR - Katharine 'Katy' Roe, 22, Depoe Bay, 17 April 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://koin.com/2016/04/18/woman-22-missing-in-depoe-bay/

So Grandma went with her for a drink, I wonder how long Grandma stayed? If only for half hour or so, drinking alone is not fun. Last call would be at 130 a.m., and that is when it winds down, most do not stay to close the establishment unless they are talking or drinking final drinks ordered at last call. So....I wonder if she was talking with someone, met up with someone at the restaurant? Because she stopped to look at the moon does not mean she was alone. I wish we had more info to go on. I would love to hear what the locals in the bar/restaurant remember about last call and closing time that night. Was she sitting alone just taking in the music, or did someone talk to her after Grandma left ? IMHO

The waves that crash on that location are not really high enough to pull someone out. They are usually pretty tame to watch from there and even the big crashing waves would only come spraying up in stormy weather, which it wasn't that night. Even when the waves are high, they pretty much just mist over you if you are standing there and you get wet, but that's about it. I've stood there several times during pretty stormy weather watching the waves. It is possible that she could have sat on the wall but I would be surprised if she did so dangling her feet over the side of the wall near the ocean. More likely she would have just sat on the top of the wall with her feet still on the street side. There are also some benches in a couple of spots along the sidewalk that she could have potentially sat on.

The restaurant where she was at closes at 2am. It's a fun local place where people go and do karaoke and hang out.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that perhaps she dropped her phone onto the rocks (sorry to the OP of that idea, I can't remember which page I read this on!) and this is why it is now dead. I have heard of people climbing over barriers to retrieve their fallen phones (or other items) and then being either washed into the ocean or falling down a cliff. Just thought I would put that out there as a suggestion. Hopefully they have done a thorough search of all the rocks and cliffs along that bay. I truly hope she and the young man who is also missing from that same area are found alive and well.

I´m from Norway and there is something I find a little strange, so I have to ask: I´m following this case and the Nicole Mittendorff case and to me it seems like the Mittendorff case gets so much more attention (both by LE and media) than this one does. Is that "common" in the US? And if so, what cases get more attention? Can it be because Mittendorffs husband is a police man? I also see that the boy who went missing gets very little attention, is it because he is a man? Or that he has a history of depression, and they therefore think it might be suicide?

Oh goodness, there could be volumes written about why American media covers some cases/stories/events, etc.

Thankyou Lilibet, I am employing my koala teeth and chewing this over ;). I believe her grandmother sent her two more texts after 2.12 at which point she commenced the search. Not sure of the time frame but most likely within twenty minutes. This post is from facebook "Katie's last phone ping was at 2:12 a.m. Straight to voicemail. Unknown if the phone is dead or turned off." and also "Her phone was tracked by ping.The last hit was near the outlet mall."

Where is the outlet mall located? I've looked at all the maps on this thread, but haven't found it.

It's really hard to say why some stories get more coverage. With our local coverage, I think part of the reason is that Katy grew up here, and has interacted with SO many people that she feels like one of our own. I know everyone I have talked to about both cases is just as concerned about Owen and is certainly trying to do what they can. It has been a really devastating series of events for our area...I think a lot of people are just completely shaken and stunned.

There is no outlet mall in Depoe Bay - the nearest one is north in Lincoln City. I haven't seen or heard any indication that they think she was in Lincoln City. I'm not sure where that information about her phone came from?

Where is the outlet mall located? I've looked at all the maps on this thread, but haven't found it.

Only outlet mall I know of around there is lincoln city. Its like 10 miles north of depoe bay.

Edit: just noticed same thing posted above

There is no outlet mall in Depoe Bay - the nearest one is north in Lincoln City. I haven't seen or heard any indication that they think she was in Lincoln City. I'm not sure where that information about her phone came from?

According to koalasleuth, this was posted on facebook. I haven't been able to find that particular quote about Katie's phone, but I did see on the Depoe Bay Sheriff's FB that Owen Woods' phone was found in Lincoln City.

I´m from Norway and there is something I find a little strange, so I have to ask: I´m following this case and the Nicole Mittendorff case and to me it seems like the Mittendorff case gets so much more attention (both by LE and media) than this one does. Is that "common" in the US? And if so, what cases get more attention? Can it be because Mittendorffs husband is a police man? I also see that the boy who went missing gets very little attention, is it because he is a man? Or that he has a history of depression, and they therefore think it might be suicide?

Oh goodness, there could be volumes written about why American media covers some cases/stories/events, etc.
BBM

Ah yes, the eternal mystery of who gets American media attention and for how long. :thinking: :dunno:

It is so unpredictable, but here's my unscientific list...

Most attention...
Babies and children. Girls have an edge over boys IMO. The cuter the better.
Attractive, admired, clean cut teen girls and young women in their 20's. That's good for Katy, although blondes may have an edge.
A compelling background story like a missing Mom with kids left behind.
Wealthy and famous people.

Less attention...
Boys in teens, men in twenties and above unless they're on an exciting adventure and disappear. It can help if there is something really quirky about them like the boy about to graduate from highschool near San Diego who was a huge fan of My Little Pony. Not good for Owen AFAIK.

Least attention...
Middle-aged people and Senior Citizens unless there is a romantic backstory like Bob Harrod.
African-Americans, Asians, Native Americans and Hispanics of all genders and ages, although there are exceptions.
Mentally ill, unless there is something really unusual as there was with Teleka Patrick's strange SM.

The ones in every category who get the most attention have a team of family and friends pushing SM and MSM coverage, using Twitter, holding vigils...basically doing everything they can to keep the story fresh and interesting to the media. Sometimes, if family and friends are unable or unwilling, WSers have been known to seek publicity for the missing person. We did this on my signature case, Stephanie Warner (43 and virtually ignored after a couple of months). Her family was too far away and didn't seem to know what to do, so we stepped in. She hasn't been found yet but her killer boyfriend got really upset.

So the lesson is to have a well-oiled publicity team for your missing person If you want the media to cover their story. And you have to work harder if they are in a lower attention category. JMO

I think NM gets more attention because she's blonde (I do think it counts, just my observation) and she's married to a cop and she's a firefighter and there are SM rumours of bullying and other unsavoury stuff and lots of people assume immediately its the husband. All the ingredients you need for a gripping story, whatever the outcome. I bet if Katy had a husband or boyfriend people could be jumping to conclusions about, there would be more attention paid because of that angle, but it's just her grandma. It's just not as dramatic.

I'm not judging people for doing this, I think it's human nature. And of course there is more to it than that. How much the family and friends push the story counts for a lot as well, and not everyone is extroverted and publicity minded, even if they desperately want their loved one found and would 'do anything' they might just not have the media nous that others do.

It's really hard to say why some stories get more coverage. With our local coverage, I think part of the reason is that Katy grew up here, and has interacted with SO many people that she feels like one of our own. I know everyone I have talked to about both cases is just as concerned about Owen and is certainly trying to do what they can. It has been a really devastating series of events for our area...I think a lot of people are just completely shaken and stunned.

I think that perhaps one of the reasons is that Owen was seen driving through town whereas Katy seems to have vanished against her will.

Maybe the LE statement of "no activity" was made to dispel the hearsay of her phone pinging in Lincoln city?.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back