Found Deceased OR - Katharine 'Katy' Roe, 22, Depoe Bay, 17 April 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Highly skeptical. JMO

I am also quite skeptical here. It does however fit with the post earlier mentioned that her phone pinged outside the outlet mall north of depoe bay. This is very speculative and I would be surprised if its her.

There is also a dive team headed to the area tomorrow to see what they can find if anything. Again I don't know what to say.

Just a heads up: I don't think the Lincoln County Scan page is an official LE related page, but is listed as a "community." So anything posted there is rumor and can't be brought to WS. Also, we have to paraphrase, rather than quote directly from SM that is allowed here AFAIK. It might be good to hold off discussing this for now IMO so if mods have to clean up the thread it isn't too messy. :)

Hey Folks,

Here's a copy of our SM rules.

Thanks!

SOCIAL MEDIA LINKS, e.g., FACEBOOK and TWITTER

Approved Pages/Profiles

Individuals
Victim (missing or murdered person)
Suspect (as indicated by LE)

Links may be used to direct members to posts made by a victim or a suspect.
Copying and pasting, or taking screen caps, directly from these pages is not allowed.
Paraphrasing is okay.
Posts by friends and visitors are off limits.
Do not link to an individual’s (victim or suspect) social media page if you are not 100% certain it belongs to the correct individual.
If a social media page is set to private and you get in the back way, you may not post what you find. Private means private!

Public Pages
Mainstream Media (MSM)
Law Enforcement (LE)
Group support pages for victims, such as "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”
Legitimate non-profit organizations who provide assistance and support to victims and their families (e.g., Klass Kids, Texas Equusearch).

Links may be used to direct members to a post by the owner or an admin of an approved social media page/profile.
Posts by an owner or admin may be copied or quoted. This refers primarly to posts or tweets by MSM reporters, and announcements by law enforcement, the immediate family, or the admin of a group support page.
Paraphrasing is okay.
***NOTE: Comments and posts by readers/visitors of these pages are not allowed to be quoted, copied or referenced. Just don’t mention them.
Regarding group support pages, i.e., "Help Find..." and "Justice for...”: If at any time the WS staff determines a group support page to be inappropriate, a notice will be posted in the thread stating that the page is no longer approved.

Not Allowed

Social media pages that fall in the following categories are OFF LIMITS.

Family members of either a victim or a suspect
Friends of either a victim or a suspect
Most any other individual

Don't link to these pages, nor make reference to information you find on them.

Any exception must first be approved by an administrator. You can contact an admininstrator via private message, or send an email to websleuthscomments@gmail.com

EXAMPLE: If a suspect has been arrested for a crime relevant to the discussion topic, and you want to post a Facebook screencap from his/her personal page, you must first obtain approval from administration.

if someone could find out if the shell station at the south end of depoe bay has cctv facing the street as its on her way home. channel house b and b has cctv facing their parking lot which is from the other angle so if they do have viable fields of vision they will have picked her up assuming she got that far.

I have just emailed channel house b a b and they said their tapes were reviewed but there was " nothing there" Only one route left and that's the shell station. Otherwise I don't think she crossed the bridge.

I'm very curious as to where her birth parents are, and if she might have gone off to try to connect with other family. There's no mention of her parents - although they may be deceased.

According to this, she attended "The Kids Zone" which is an after school program that's based on inability to pay or kids who are struggling academically or in other ways. It's not a typical sign up and pay daycare business. So it kind of leaves the question open about whether she's seeking connections.

Her facebook indicates she was kind of estranged from family for a long time.

http://www.newportnewstimes.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&story_id=51746&page=86

I'm very curious as to where her birth parents are, and if she might have gone off to try to connect with other family. There's no mention of her parents - although they may be deceased.

According to this, she attended "The Kids Zone" which is an after school program that's based on inability to pay or kids who are struggling academically or in other ways. It's not a typical sign up and pay daycare business. So it kind of leaves the question open about whether she's seeking connections.

Her facebook indicates she was kind of estranged from family for a long time.

http://www.newportnewstimes.com/v2_news_articles.php?heading=0&story_id=51746&page=86

Her mother is playing a big part right now in trying to find her. Judging by FB posts they are close. I also believe she is the admin for one of the appeal pages. Absolutely no mention of her father anywhere though. Just by looking at all descriptions of her, I really do not think she has gone missing willingly. She seems perfectly normal.

Remember we do not allow hearsay or Facebook pages unless the page has been approved by management.

Thanks,
Tricia

your probably right on the drinking alone front but it is a karaoke bar. She also said “She’d had kind of a rough day at work and so she wanted to go down and have a drink,” and also her grandmother said “our local little place, restaurant and pub, that everyone in town goes to” — and each had one drink. She may well not have been drinking alone if she knows people in town, saturday night, every locals in ? she also said to summerton ’ And she said, ‘Grandma, I want to stay and finish my drink and hang out a little while.'” "her phone is dead" maybe in the water ? She’s a very, very responsible girl,” Summerton said. “Everybody in this town knows her and loves her, you know, everybody.” I very much hope your right and she has just gone for a walk. Can we find out if she was due in to work the next day ? Also would be good to find out what phone she has and associated battery capacity and also if records show when her phone switched off ?

Sorry for the strange fonts, copy and paste seems to mess them up a bit.

If Grandma left at 12MN, how do we know Katy had just the one drink? What if she met someone who seemed nice and she started out just texting Grandma to give herself a bit more time? JMO.

Best scenario for me us that these two same age missing persons are off on a wonderful adventure together. But seriously it seems such a large coincidence to be missing, same age, same time frame same town. Strange. I looked on his thread, not to much info to his activities leading up to his disappearance yet.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I personally have never heard of this coastal community before and to have two threads in one week seems rather odd.

If Grandma left at 12MN, how do we know Katy had just the one drink? What if she met someone who seemed nice and she started out just texting Grandma to give herself a bit more time? JMO.

TBH we don't, we can only go with her gm description of her as being "very responsible" and only having had "one drink" up to the point of her gm leaving. Katie was also quoted as having said that she wanted to stay and finish her drink. There were other people at the bar at her time of departure and I am sure LE would have followed any leads and made us aware by now of anything of that nature. By all descriptions of Katy there is no reason to believe she had any other intention than going home after a few mins moon gazing, which explains the rapid response from LE.

I just found out after emailing depoe bay fire station that they have no cctv, who would have thought ?

In a lot of small towns in America, it is just not as prevalent as in the UK or Australia. Every little place has to pay for its own or locals rely on one's owned by private business.

BBM

Ah yes, the eternal mystery of who gets American media attention and for how long. :thinking: :dunno:

It is so unpredictable, but here's my unscientific list...

Most attention...
Babies and children. Girls have an edge over boys IMO. The cuter the better.
Attractive, admired, clean cut teen girls and young women in their 20's. That's good for Katy, although blondes may have an edge.
A compelling background story like a missing Mom with kids left behind.
Wealthy and famous people.

Less attention...
Boys in teens, men in twenties and above unless they're on an exciting adventure and disappear. It can help if there is something really quirky about them like the boy about to graduate from highschool near San Diego who was a huge fan of My Little Pony. Not good for Owen AFAIK.

Least attention...
Middle-aged people and Senior Citizens unless there is a romantic backstory like Bob Harrod.
African-Americans, Asians, Native Americans and Hispanics of all genders and ages, although there are exceptions.
Mentally ill, unless there is something really unusual as there was with Teleka Patrick's strange SM.

The ones in every category who get the most attention have a team of family and friends pushing SM and MSM coverage, using Twitter, holding vigils...basically doing everything they can to keep the story fresh and interesting to the media. Sometimes, if family and friends are unable or unwilling, WSers have been known to seek publicity for the missing person. We did this on my signature case, Stephanie Warner (43 and virtually ignored after a couple of months). Her family was too far away and didn't seem to know what to do, so we stepped in. She hasn't been found yet but her killer boyfriend got really upset.

So the lesson is to have a well-oiled publicity team for your missing person If you want the media to cover their story. And you have to work harder if they are in a lower attention category. JMO

I think certain cases on the East side of the US receive more attention because of the main mass media markets here. Stuff that happens in California, Oregon, and Washington seems pretty far away and people here figure you all will handle it. Just an attitude I've noticed.

ETA: Just jumping off your post in general;

What If we only went on what we know. We have no information as to any more than one drink each.

Based on what we know, then, if we want to speculate, What IF she babied her drink until she left?

"Let’s go home.’ And she said, ‘Grandma, I want to stay and finish my drink and hang out a little while"
http://koin.com/2016/04/18/woman-22-missing-in-depoe-bay/

What IF she ordered cola? Is that possible? Quite possibly., IMO

What IF she didn't meet anyone but stopped to watch the ocean and the moon?

"A few minutes later she said she got another text that “the moon looked beautiful over the ocean, she might stand and look for a minute.”

Pictures of the texts start at abt. 1:20 in the video.

In My Opinion, as a Sleuth I think that speculation should be based on what we know. Speculation based on nothing but abstract "what if's" with no facts or indication of the plausibility is nothing more than creative fiction. I do not know how that helps.

The idea that the 2 missing persons were connected was quite plausible, but LE in MSM has said that so far there is no known connection. I have searched and searched and can fine no connection in name, location, history or friends.

"Authorities said there does not appear to be any connection between Woods’ disappearance and that of Katy Roe, who went missing around the same time.."
http://koin.com/2016/04/18/police-searching-for-missing-mcminnville-man/

So we are left with "what ifs". With that, how do we help? Earlier there was discussion of the waves and weather. Based on what we know that is a reasonable angle to follow, IMO.

But "What If" she met a guy... That leaves me no angle or speculation based on fact from which I can sleuth or formulate some tip I may submit. What guy? who was there? LE knows but I don't know. And there's noting to support it.

All MOO except for links.

Katy Roe goes missing after 2 AM and Owen Woods is last seen around 3:30 AM in a town with a population of 1400. Could be a coincidence. But what are the odds that two 22 year olds - a man and a woman - both go missing in such a small community within an hour and a half. I doubt if that community has had a missing person like this in years, maybe over a decade. Certainly strange.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ioprgee
Back