OR OR - Kelly James (dead), Brian Hall, 37, Jerry Cooke, 36, Mt. Hood Climbers, Dec 2006

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Brother asks, did he have to die?

RACELAND -- Standing at the base of the mountain where his brother’s life was claimed, Ben James could make out the movements of rescuers preparing the body for removal near the summit as a military helicopter hovered nearby, almost 12,000 feet above the earth on which he stood.

"They were hoisting him up, and I was thinking that we wouldn’t be doing this if things had been different. He would be coming down on a sled or on a snowcat that was warm inside, where they put hot water bags under your armpits," the retired Marine said during an interview at his Raceland home Thursday, following his return from Oregon.

His brother, Kelly James, a Dallas architect and father of four, was the only one of three climbers missing since Dec. 10 whose body was recovered during a weeklong search under sometimes-brutal conditions.

Ben James has voiced criticism about the rescue effort on Mount Hood and acknowledges that his words come from a bitter place.

Mount Hood County officials who oversaw the search say they did everything possible to find the climbers and that there is nothing they would have done differently.

Searchers found Kelly James in a snow cave Sunday, several days after he had died of hypothermia, according to the results of an autopsy Wednesday.

A search for the companions of Kelly James, Brian Hall of Dallas and Jerry "Nikko" Cooke of New York, is now a recovery operation, meaning hopes for finding them alive are essentially dashed.

Some members of the Hall and Cooke families agreed that the search for them should end, Hood River County Sheriff Joe Wampler has said.

Authorities say Kelly James might have been injured in a fall, prompting Hall and Cooke to go for help. The two climbers then might have fallen or been blown off a cliff, buried by an avalanche or died of hypothermia.

Ben James is the only relative of any climber to speak out so bluntly about dissatisfaction with the search, conducted during a week in which hurricane-force winds with blowing snow ripped the mountainside with temperatures at 18 below zero.

He is grateful for the efforts but questions the decisions made by search organizers.

During the first days of the search, crews would start up the 11,000-plus-foot mountain but head back as darkness loomed. James said that wasted precious time because when the next day came, rescuers would cover ground already traveled during days short in daylight.

"The rescuers would go up about 7,000 feet, and then the winds would come in," Ben James said. "The whole ball of wax is those rescuers are already prepared to go up there and stay overnight; they were equipped. Kelly hunkered down for seven or eight days. They could have dug them an ice cave. But they did not hunker down. They came all the way back to town to regroup and start out the next morning and go back up."

Deputy Sheriff Chris Guertin, incident commander for the search, expressed difficulty understanding the criticisms.

When rescuers retreated, it was to a base camp at 6,000 feet, Guertin said. The ground lost, he maintained, would easily be gained once the rescuers attempted to do it again.

"The conditions were not suitable at all for people to stay on the mountain," Guertin said in a telephone interview Thursday. "Every single time we tried to get to the summit in the early stages, we could not get to the summit. It was not for lack of trying. It was not possible. We could not get to the summit until the time we got to the summit, whether we had people camped out or getting down to the bottom. It was not safe and not an option, it was extreme."

"I am not saying anything bad about the sheriff, but I don’t think he was the one who should have made the call," James said.

Asked if it was fair for other people to risk their lives because someone else takes risks while pursuing an extreme sport such as climbing, James bristled.

"What if you are driving down the road and you have an accident," James said. "You don’t expect anyone to come? Every day you do something your life is at risk, even going into knee surgery."

James acknowledges that his feelings are bitter and says he has a right to be bitter.

"If it was someone they knew by name or a family member, an uncle or brother, they would have continued. They wouldn’t have stopped halfway. That wind wouldn’t have bothered them one little bit.
http://www.houmatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061222/NEWS/612220314/1026
Reading this article breaks my heart. It's apparent he's grieving which I think has made him bitter.. IMO the efforts to rescue these climbers were class A; does anyone feel otherwise?

czechmate7 said:
Reading this article breaks my heart. It's apparent he's grieving which I think has made him bitter.. IMO the efforts to rescue these climbers were class A; does anyone feel otherwise?

I agree with your post.

It makes me sad to hear that, but I know he's grieving. I also believe so many people gave of their time, skill and energies to do everything in their power to find the men. I was anxious to hear of their rescue - but I also worried every single day that we would hear of a rescuer getting hurt or worse. None of it was easy.

I'll keep some of my personal opinion to myself, as it won't change anything on that mountain, but I'm thankful at least one family has their family member recovered. I wish the other two familes were able to have the same. Maybe they will in the future, and maybe they won't. My heart goes out to all of them at this time.

i feel the rescue effort was all that it could have been under at times dire weather circumstances. i think with the benefit of time, ben james will realize that dozens of people put themselves and their own safety at risk to search for his brother. he is in great pain at this time, of course, and it is affecting is perception of events that others more removed can see more clearly for what they are.

Camper said:
I sit in Colorado being buried with massive amounts of snow. I knew several days ahead that WE were going to be hit with a MAJOR STORM, therefore, I, family, friends and neighbors scuried to the store etc., and loaded up with necesary things to stay inside until roads were passable etc.
They started their climb on Wednesday, Dec 6th. The storm I believe you are referring to didn't start until the following Thursday, the 14th.

I can understand wanting the challenge of the climb, and maybe even doing it during times other than the optimal weather - what I don't get is how when you decide to do something so deliberately risky and extreme, first, how you expect others to risk their lives to save you (and the climbers may not have, but it sounds like at least one relative did); and second, why not bring along the simple little bit of safety equipment that will help rescuers to find you if you fail. It's not about making the climb easier, just about making it possible to find you or your body without risking rescuer lives in the process. Apparently they went up declining the GPS unit available to them - MLU.

If they don't want the support, don't want to make themselves easy to find, I just don't see that we need to be spending a ton to try to find them.

Buzzm1 said:
Steve, it's all about the technology:

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/801795
That device does not seem to be portable in any way and while the technology is impressive it is irrelevant in this case. There are many ways to track a cell phone, see http://contact.bellsouth.com/business/phase2/how911works.html for a good intro to the E911 (the driving force behind the gps/tdoa/aoa initiative) and further research shows just how much it is still lagging in practice.

-BigTex

BigTex said:
That device does not seem to be portable in any way and while the technology is impressive it is irrelevant in this case. There are many ways to track a cell phone, see http://contact.bellsouth.com/business/phase2/how911works.html for a good intro to the E911 (the driving force behind the gps/tdoa/aoa initiative) and further research shows just how much it is still lagging in practice.

-BigTex
BT, the only reason it is lagging is the cost involved in equipping all cell phones with GPS receiver technology, at a minimal increase in cost, and the complete implementation of a system for tracking cell phones via GPS. The device I posted was only showing the increased signal capabilities of GPS receivers. Like most technologies, it's only a matter of time, before it will be commonplace.

I wonder why Ben James was standing at the base of the mountain watching others do the work of recovering his brother's body rather than being up there himself assisting?

czechmate7 said:

I agree with you, and from all I have read and observed, the rescuers were dedicated to the hilt in their search. They put their lives at risk to help search. Safety should come first.

I sure hope none of the rescuers take this to heart, for surely it is his grief which is clouding his view.

Like DeputyDawg, I also have formed some opinions, which are better left unsaid, woudn't change anything now anyway.

I say BRAVO to the rescue searchers who gave it their all, and I extend my sympathies to the families for their lost loved ones. I pray they all will be brought home to rest. It is all so very very sad.

Sending a special prayer for Ben James.

kgeaux said:
It is a God given personality trait, luvbeaches. Just as you were born with a personality that causes you to not take risks, these men were born with risk taking personalities. Your personality is important to the world, as is theirs. We wouldn't have developed very far as a culture without risk taking men and women----heck, there wouldn't even be 13 states, much less 50 without risk takers!

I have both personality types among my children, and believe me, it is breath taking to watch those risk takers develop into young men! The things they've tried have contributed to the development of a grey hair or two on my head!

The most precious gift we have for the families of these men is our prayers for their comfort, and it is so wonderful that even though you don't understand the risk taking behavior that cost them their lives, you are praying for their families. I know if the families were reading here, they would thank you for that. :blowkiss:

kgeaux, Thank you and you are so nice and kind for making such a thoughtful post to luvbeaches. She certainly didn't deserve to be pounced on for her views. She did like the rest of us, she had EMPATHY for the famlies and the guys lost on the mountain. I'm sure there are many of us who felt the same as luvbeaches, and looked at the situation, internalizing the feelings as if what if one of ours, and not understanding.

Some wouldn't believe the precautions I had taken when my children were young, just to make sure I would be around to teach, love and take care of them.

My nephew is a climber, and I am so thankful the trait has not carried over to my children. He must have inherited all of the risk taking traits in our line, for you would not believe what all he does with his energy. He is fearless--not I.

ben james has NOTHING whatsoever to be bitter about!!! if anything, he should be bitter at his brother for his poor decision-making skills that day.. no one- i repeat-- NO ONE has any OBLIGATION to go find YOUR brother who felt that he had to scale a 11,250 foot mountain of ice in the middle of december just for a personal thrill. these volunteers are going out of their way out of the sheer goodness of their hearts (unless someone's getting paid here??), when they have plenty of things i'm sure they'd RATHER be doing!! instead of being ungrateful and criticizing.. why the heck don't you get your azz up there and search yourself??? instead of nitpiking saying "they would have searched harder of it was THEIR relative"-- well you should be grateful they're doing it at ALL.. risking their OWN lives for your brother's selfishness, esdpecially when YOU'RE not!! what unbelievable nerve.

reb said:
ben james has NOTHING whatsoever to be bitter about!!! if anything, he should be bitter at his brother for his poor decision-making skills that day.. no one- i repeat-- NO ONE has any OBLIGATION to go find YOUR brother who felt that he had to scale a 11,250 foot mountain of ice in the middle of december just for a personal thrill. these volunteers are going out of their way out of the sheer goodness of their hearts (unless someone's getting paid here??), when they have plenty of things i'm sure they'd RATHER be doing!! instead of being ungrateful and criticizing.. why the heck don't you get your azz up there and search yourself??? instead of nitpiking saying "they would have searched harder of it was THEIR relative"-- well you should be grateful they're doing it at ALL.. risking their OWN lives for your brother's selfishness, esdpecially when YOU'RE not!! what unbelievable nerve.
I'm leaving this post intact because you are 110% right. I've been having the same thought almost from the very beginning of this ordeal.

LaMer, you are a treasure too! Izzy, I agree with you too that what he needs is the benefit of time. I only sat and read or watched what happened, and sensed genuine sincerity in the search crew as I kind of got to know some of them at CC. It was a stellar effort by all, and the sad part is that by the time the weather allowed them to do their first search ,they were all already dead.

Scandi

ETA: I should clarify, in the first searches the men were pushed back by weather, so they were very limited in what they could do.

Ben James may have not liked the decision that Sheriff Wampler made, and Ben James may have felt that the the sheriff shouldn't have been the one to make the decision as to whether S&R should have stayed up on the mountain each night, but the decision certainly wasn't Ben James's to make. If the Search and Rescue team felt like putting their own lives on the line, then the decision should, within reason, be their decision, since many of them are volunteers. Ben James needed to be thankful that so many others were willing to run risks in an attempt to save his brother.

reb said:

I understand what you're saying Reb and agree with you. Ben is evidently in shock and going thru the stages of mourning. Either that or he is always this way in any regard. Now I know why the Sheriff said there was an element that didn't agree with his decision to turn the rescue to a retrival.

What upsets me is that the media would take this interview and print it, knowing this man is under duress from shock. Just like I think the Katie Couric interview was in very bad taste because of its timing.

And the other thing is Ben didn't have all the facts straight, so he based his judgement on beliefs and emotions. At that time it wasn't Wamplers decision to tell everything he knew, and I learned later that he did have info that wasn't let out right away. They still are sitting on some things that are not evidently proper to come out until their investigation is over.

Scandi

scandi said:
I understand what you're saying Reb and agree with you. Ben is evidently in shock and going thru the stages of mourning. Either that or he is always this way in any regard. Now I know why the Sheriff said there was an element that didn't agree with his decision to turn the rescue to a retrival.

What upsets me is that the media would take this interview and print it, knowing this man is under duress from shock. Just like I think the Katie Couric interview was in very bad taste because of its timing.

And the other thing is Ben didn't have all the facts straight, so he based his judgement on beliefs and emotions. At that time it wasn't Wamplers decision to tell everything he knew, and I learned later that he did have info that wasn't let out right away. They still are sitting on some things that are not evidently proper to come out until their investigation is over.

Scandi
Scandi,
That seems to be what the media is about now days; spinning a story to the very worse degree......it's so very sad..:(
I totally agree w/ you on the Couric interview. Please let his family bid farewell before hounding for an interview.

And who by brave assent, who by accident,
who in solitude, who in this mirror,
who by his lady's command, who by his own hand,
who in mortal chains, who in power,
and who shall I say is calling?
- Leonard Cohen, "Who By Fire"
Just listened to this song again tonight, and these lyrics hit home.

czechmate7 said:
Scandi,
That seems to be what the media is about now days; spinning a story to the very worse degree......it's so very sad..:(
I totally agree w/ you on the Couric interview. Please let his family bid farewell before hounding for an interview.

Remember the Amish school shooting not to long ago - The day of the shooting the media were all over the place, then within two days - POOF - they were gone - we never head another word about it. The last I recall hearing was that one of the children "went home to die."

The Amish kept this story from turning into a media circus - how???

reb, I agree with you--His complaints are misdirected--Those rescue workers made an incredible effort--how would ben james feel if everybody just said "hey,we're not going up there--its too dangerous and cold--besides your brother went up there without taking proper precautions--think we'll just leave his body up there like they do at Mt Everest"--I mean come on---and luvbeaches,I agree with you that I cannot understand why people climb mountains--I'm a risk-taker myself,I've chased tornados in Oklahoma and gone out driving during hurricanes here in Florida and also deliberately drive thru severe thunderstorms driving to the middle of the state in the summertime--now, some people might call me nuts,but at least I'm i a car where its warm---how much fun can it be to be freezingcold, trudging slowly up a mountain--those Everest climbers are crazy,frostbite and all

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back