Found Deceased OR - Kendra Hanks, 18, walking from work along Hwy 42 towards Winston, Douglas Co, 7 Jul 2022 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As they say, "Run, hide, fight, in that order." Sometimes we think we might be better off complying with someone with a weapon, but chances are, if someone is trying to get you in a car with a gun, or they've broken into your house and have a weapon, they've already made their mind up.

Run, if you can't run Hide, if you can't hide Fight.
I agree.
Being taken to "second location" usually means DEATH :(

Moo

• 12/05/2022 Hearing
    Original Type
    Hearing
    Judicial Officer
    Simmons, Ann Marie
    Hearing Time
    8:30 AM
    Result
    Held
    Comment
    Set Motion Hearings
    Parties Present
    Plaintiff: State of Oregon
    District Attorney: Wesenberg, Richard L
    Deputy District Attorney: Eichmann, Allison Dawn
    Defendant: PHELPS, TROY RUSSELL
    Court Appointed: BAKER, ELIZABETH JC
    Court Appointed: DeVecchio, James B
    12/12/2022 Notice
    Comment
    NOTICE OF INTENT - SPOUSAL PRIVILEGE & OEC 505 (1)(2)(3)
    12/14/2022 Motion
    Comment
    FOR AN ORDER AUTHORIZING THE UNSEALING OF SEARCH WARRANTS

12/20/2022 Order
    Judicial Officer
    Simmons, Ann Marie
    Comment
    ON STATE'S MOTION FOR AN ORDER AUTHORIZING THE UNSEALING OF SEARCH WARRANTS

01/20/2023 Motion
    Comment
    FOR AN ORDER AUTHORIZING THE UNSEALING OF THE SEARCH WARRANTS

12/19/2023 Hearing - Motion
    Judicial Officer
    Simmons, Ann Marie
    Hearing Time
    09:30 AM
    Comment
    Motion Hgs 12/19-22

Here's the last several hearings listed on the court docket. I hope we get to see the search warrants when unsealed.

Also wonder what the spousal privledge is about?

A Riddle man facing murder charges in the death of a Winston teenager last year has been implicated in the deaths of at least three other women, according to court documents recently filed by the man’s attorneys.

Troy Russell Phelps is charged with the kidnapping and murder of Kendra Marie Hanks, 18, of Winston. Her body was found July 13, 2022, in Cow Creek, and her death was ruled a homicide. Phelps was arrested the following week and charged with her murder, along with kidnapping and resisting arrest.
His trial is scheduled for next June.

During the investigation into Hanks’ murder, authorities were tipped off by Phelps’ family members that he had allegedly admitted to killing Hanks and at least three other women, according to Aug. 18 court filings by Elizabeth Baker, a Eugene attorney representing Troy Phelps.

Authorities began investigating Phelps in connection with those alleged murders, and cross-checked information about the victims with women who had been reported missing. Based on that investigation, authorities identified the victims as Megan Wendel, Lilly Loftus and Kristin Correa, the filings said.

Little is known about these women. Wendel was reported missing by a family member in July 2022. Her remains were found in February of this year in a remote area near Glide. She would have been 36 at the time.

No information has been released about Loftus and Correa.

Shout, kick, bite!
Pretend to have an attack of epilepsy, etc.

The perp might decide you are too much trouble.

Moo
I've actually been thinking about a novel solution lately when I watched a video where a mailman was getting chased by thieves, and he was calling Siri for help, but he forgot "Hey, Siri". Wear an AppleWatch and simply fall over. If you have fall detection turned on (mine is, 24/7), it will automatically call 911 if you don't respond. You don't need cell service direct to your phone, but your phone has to be within a certain number of feet (50?).

Even a really big clap of your hands will register as a "fall" on your AppleWatch. But if you "trip" it'll definitely register: haha, it's happened to me more than a few times.

If your watch/phone calls 911, it will use built-in GPS to give your location. The only thing you have to do is fall over.

I've actually been thinking about a novel solution lately when I watched a video where a mailman was getting chased by thieves, and he was calling Siri for help, but he forgot "Hey, Siri". Wear an AppleWatch and simply fall over. If you have fall detection turned on (mine is, 24/7), it will automatically call 911 if you don't respond. You don't need cell service direct to your phone, but your phone has to be within a certain number of feet (50?).

Even a really big clap of your hands will register as a "fall" on your AppleWatch. But if you "trip" it'll definitely register: haha, it's happened to me more than a few times.

If your watch/phone calls 911, it will use built-in GPS to give your location. The only thing you have to do is fall over.
Any advice for those without phones or apple watches?

I am local and unfortunately my children were friends with Troy Phelps step son and went to school with all the kids.

Kendra had no connections to Troy whatsoever. She was in the wrong place at the wrong time and chose to trust a stranger on her long walk home after working a hard shift on her feet all day. Might I ad that where she was picked up by him is a busy hi way.

She was found up Cow Creek, not boomer, miles between those two places.

He’s now being investigated for <mod note - 3, not 4) women’s murders after his early release from prison. His wife and step son gave LE the tip about the other women via his attorney. Two were found in Glide, Or.

He already got off on a murder and kid napping charge from 2017. He shot a man and kid napped his girlfriend and toddler. He took the women and child to his home where he had his wife watch them. While on the phone with his wife he went back to the crime sene with his step son and burned the man’s car and tried to dispose of the body and made his step minor child help.

The prosecution totally messed up the case with improper evidence:investigations and he got acquitted of murder and got lesser charges. That is why he was in prison, he got the early release for his medical neglect case. He’s been a life long catheter user and apparently the style prison uses didn’t work well with him. He wasn’t out but a few months before he started killing if LE is correct about the other 3 women. He may of started killing within the week of release. We shall see as the other three cases come to charges. His defense attorney filed paperwork in regards to the 3 other murders. I will be at the courthouse everyday of this trial.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Pnwwonder
I'm glad you will be attending the trial. Wondering if you would be willing to complete the short process of becoming a Verified Insider...

@Pnwwonder
I'm glad you will be attending the trial. Wondering if you would be willing to complete the short process of becoming a Verified Insider...
Reading through the “rules” I did not know Troy personally. My children are friends with his step son. I am not sure if that would qualify me as a verified insider or not? I don’t want to violate any rules.

Reading through the “rules” I did not know Troy personally. My children are friends with his step son. I am not sure if that would qualify me as a verified insider or not? I don’t want to violate any rules.
Please
Keep us updated with the trial.

So much time has passed but I still check this thread waiting for news and Justice for Kendra.

Thanks in advance :)
Waiting for your posts!!!!

Hi PNWonder,

Thanks for reading that page! You're right, your connection isn't close enough to qualify you as an insider - we don't verify locals. You can give us "local flavor" but please don't post local chatter* as that's considered rumor.

Thanks for being at Websleuths.

Knitty,

*You guys would not believe just how much local chatter we remove - and how much of it is completely wrong in the end.

Hi PNWonder,

Thanks for reading that page! You're right, your connection isn't close enough to qualify you as an insider - we don't verify locals. You can give us "local flavor" but please don't post local chatter* as that's considered rumor.

Thanks for being at Websleuths.

Knitty,

*You guys would not believe just how much local chatter we remove - and how much of it is completely wrong in the end.
I try to stay within the rules so glad that I seemed to have done so. Court date is coming soon and of course there is plenty of local gossip but that is exactly what it is, gossip. The lawyer that got him off on the last murder charge is representing him agin in this trail. Different judge this time. He opted for a bench trail last time (no jury) We shall see what happens this time.

This guy sounds terrifying. I wonder if evidence about the additional murders will be allowed in this trial?

@Pnwwonder, as a local, would you characterize the community as a place where everybody knows everybody (or has at least heard of them) or is it much bigger where that would not be the case?

This guy sounds terrifying. I wonder if evidence about the additional murders will be allowed in this trial?

@Pnwwonder, as a local, would you characterize the community as a place where everybody knows everybody (or has at least heard of them) or is it much bigger where that would not be the case?
It use to be that way but the last 5 years or so we have gotten a huge influx of people moving here. Troy had been part of this community though for a long time. We use to be safe with little to no major crimes. That has changed, many shootings, overdoses and crimes I thought I would never see here. It’s sad! I use to recognize faces while in town shopping, no more and we have grown a lot.

We are a rural area with one big town of about 23k population and then many little ones. Douglas county is pretty much rural, logging is our biggest industry. Gateway to Crater lake national park and the pristine Umpqua river. Surrounded by mountains and BLM lands with little towns nestled in the valley’s. It’s a fairly conservative area and a retirement community. A lot of poverty as well. It use to be the small town that everyone knew or knew of each other. Like many places we have had an explosion of crime, homelessness and overdoses.

It use to be that way but the last 5 years or so we have gotten a huge influx of people moving here. Troy had been part of this community though for a long time. We use to be safe with little to no major crimes. That has changed, many shootings, overdoses and crimes I thought I would never see here. It’s sad! I use to recognize faces while in town shopping, no more and we have grown a lot.

We are a rural area with one big town of about 23k population and then many little ones. Douglas county is pretty much rural, logging is our biggest industry. Gateway to Crater lake national park and the pristine Umpqua river. Surrounded by mountains and BLM lands with little towns nestled in the valley’s. It’s a fairly conservative area and a retirement community. A lot of poverty as well. It use to be the small town that everyone knew or knew of each other. Like many places we have had an explosion of crime, homelessness and overdoses.

Thank you for the overview.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
f48567899
Back