OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #16

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the problem is LE is not held up to a standard when it comes to lying. They have that grace to put out there whatever they think will best serve the investigation and targeted to whomever where they see a need. IMO

I thought they were obligated to uphold the public trust. Now I'll have to go look that up again.

Gwenabob,
I'm sure you're right about the policy. But KGW June 11 video story shows them interviewing a parent living on Sauvie Island who has at least one child at Skyline Elementary.

Here's the link, skip ahead to 1:40 if you want to see the interview.
http://www.kgw.com/thesquare/Searching-for-Kyron-One-week-later-96194359.html

You know what I just realized? Just because his farm is there, doesn't mean he lives on that farm. It's a big farm, and there are a lot of visitors. He probably lives somewhere else. It's not like he was born and raised on that farm - he bought it.

blackhawkjpg-356335d28cf06277.jpg
A National Guard Black Hawk slowly passes over the Multnomah Channel as the search for Kyron Horman continues today.​

frontstepsjpg-41124c0c8ef59e51.jpg
A batch of flowers sits on the front steps of Skyline Elementary School​

kyronsauviejpg-1d74ba7ec3f4b65f_large.jpg
Searchers from Wasco County gather in the Sauvie Island Parking lot this morning. They are checking the area in connection with the search for missing 7-year-old Kyron Horman.​

kyronsearchjune72010jpg-a21b956f29e60a60_large.jpg
Cole Stevens (back left) and Mack Holland of the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue team search a private property near Skyline School on Sunday.​

It seems to me that LE wants to keep tight control of this investigation. It doesn't surprise me that the family isn't talking. When they finally caved (my word) to pressure and gave a statement it seemed very scripted to me. I think that is why the Facebook went private. That want to make sure that nothing gets out to harm the investigation.
I am headed out to the vigil right now. I will report back anything I can.

Hi DairyGirl, In the back of my mind I've had this thought it might be a more complicated crime than we are thinking about here.

. . . .A couple of people involved, an instigator known to have driven to Sauvie's Island to meet someone else maybe even on the 3rd and then that person from SI photographed or seen at the school on the 4th. To put it all together takes time if LE has to ferret out details and make their case, especially if there is more than one person involved. That is to where LE would announce a suspect or POI. And maybe they are hoping that person who did the disposal will somehow lead them to his location. IMO totally.

Do I watch too many CSI shows? :angel:

I have been lurking on this forum since the beginning of the case and am finally posting. I appreciate the civility, respect and even affection with which this forum is conducted. At any rate, for whatever reason--I am a local, I have young children of my own, I find Kyron's pictures particularly appealing--I have been very affected by this situation, as many of you are.

I feel may be one of the few taking LE at their word. I do not think they have any leads that have panned out and are, as they claim, systematically following protocol. Tanner's statements regarding small groups and reassembling at the classroom rang true for me (I am a room parent at a different school), so I have added them to the very few facts confirmed by LE in order to develop my theory. (I think the "sub" in question was most likely a parent volunteer, perhaps not a parent normally associated with that classroom.) So I am leaning toward an opportunistic abduction, at this point. Not necessarily a complete stranger, but very possibly.

I was on Sauvie's on Sunday for berry picking and hiking with my own children and saw Sherriff's officers on ATVs combing the roadsides (clearly looking for a dumped body) everywhere we went, as well as SAR on horseback in the interior roadless areas. So they are not limiting themselves to waterways. And we were pretty direct on our route--i.e., we did not scout the island looking for these guys.

I do not think LE necessarily had a specific lead in order to pursue the SI search. I think it's perfectly logical that a perp trying to exit the Skyline area and looking for a discreet, private place to do his business and dump a body would go to SI. The bridge to SI comes up quite soon after Newberry Rd enters Hwy 30 (and as a perp I'd NOT head back into Portland in broad daylight, nor would I head W from Skyline into the flat, more exposed and well trafficked farmlands). I expect if they don't turn up anything on the search on SI they will proceed to the next most logical spot (possibly heading W instead of E from Skyline). This would also fit with the 3 hour timeline cited elsewhere on the Kyron threads. A perp would not need nighttime to dispose of a body at either of the roads deadending in the wilderness area on SI, particularly on a weekday.

Lastly, I would like to comment that a busy, hectic day is, IMO, when a stranger is MOST likely to go unnoticed, particularly if the abduction (if any) occurred after most parents had departed and the smaller children's groups had begun to tour. They would have been mostly inside classrooms, leaving hallways vacant. (BTW, my daughter's school is the same size and I do not know the parents from other grades, by any means. That would be 600 faces for parents alone! And I'm a room parent, so ostensibly one of those "in the know.") If a child became separated from his or her group during the tour and was searching for the group (perhaps had even become a bit panicked at having been left behind), it might have been an opportunity for a stranger (and I think most pedophiles in this situation would have made an effort to blend in and would not be lurking conspicuously by the door with a deranged demeanor, so a stranger does not seem less likely to me) or adult acquaintance to provide help, perhaps suggest the group had gone outside, and then you would only need the element of surprise and a few moments to exit without observation or uproar. Not much struggle, I expect, probably just confusion and doubt. As awful as it is, a little "kindness" and an air of authority with an evenly slightly distressed child will go a long way; pedophiles know this. By the south entrance/parking lot there are no classroom windows that I can see. Stairwell windows, perhaps, but who would be looking? It would be, as someone already commented, a perfect storm. The perp may not even have planned to abduct a child; perhaps he was just enjoying the opportunity to be around the kids. (I have wondered about the video shout-out for June 3; perhaps that was the earliest date the Inquiry Expo was posted on Skyline's billboard.) Providing no one witnessed the exit and the abductor, the child would appear to vanish into thin air.

I hope, hope, hope this is wrong and that somehow, miraculously, he will turn up alive. It is too awful.

According to the Skyline Ridge newsletter (neighborhood newsletter), the Sheriff's office hasn't forbidden anyone from talking to the news media. However, the editor/writers of the newsletter have particular advice:

http://srnpdx.org/current_newsline (June 15 Part II)

Please do not discuss the following:

The day of the disappearance
Feelings about members of the family
Speculations about the case or who you think is involved in Kyron's disappearance
Things you've observed that may pertain to the case - call those in to the sheriff
It would be appreciated if you could avoid negative comments about the school and law enforcement. A complete review of procedures and responses are being reviewed at both institutions

Please feel free to discuss the following:

Your own feelings or the feelings of your family
Your desire for Kyron's safe return
The impact of this event on the neighborhood
Your personal experiences as a parent at Skyline Elementary
Anything about the community, geography, events or mood of the neighborhood

Seriously!!! If this had happened at my child's school, I would NOT be quiet. I am sure that there are parents like me at that school.

Not only is a child missing from the school, but that means that there is some psycho nut out there.

I would be on the horn finding out what I could.

This is not a missing mitten!

I thought they were obligated to uphold the public trust. Now I'll have to go look that up again.

I know, right? What's the point of having a press conference to discuss progress and updates if no one knows whether or not you are telling the truth? I'm pretty sure lying isn't a viable method of gaining public cooperation and trust. Or getting re-elected.

Hi PortlandMama!!! Welcome to Websleuths!!! And thank you for your informative first post!!! :blowkiss:

I did watch that spot on KGW and they showed the police craft mosying down the river slowly in the area of the houseboats. It left me with the impression they are keeping a watch on the river area and it's banks like on a patrol.

I wish I had former Officer Jensen's quote today on KGW to get it exact ya know lol { Ah hmmmmm} Oh, how fortuitous LOLOLOL It just replayed for me.

He said LE knows what they are doing, they have something specific they are looking for and that they think they will find whatever it is.
Thank you.

I had not heard it when watching this pc the first time, but around 9:00 minutes in, a reporter asks if it is rare or if he has seen it before where someone other than a parent has went into a school and took a child. Then Gates says you put me on the spot with that question but um well um, I have never seen it before in my career.

http://www.kptv.com/video/23839384/index.html

Non-custodial parents do it all the time. Surely he knows that. Odd for him to respond that way.

ETA: Ignore me. I completely misunderstood this, and not being able to hear the reporters' questions didn't help at all.

Channel 8 local is showing live snips of inside of the Sunset Presbyterian Church and people walking in and sitting down...

Parents urge public to help in search of missing boy

By Gabriel Falcon, CNN
June 11, 2010 7:17 a.m. EDT

(CNN) -- The parents of a missing Oregon boy have urged the public to continue helping authorities find their son.
"Please search your properties, your cars, your outbuildings, your sheds," the immediate family of Kyron Horman said in a statement Wednesday that was read by Captain Mike Shults of the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office. "Also check with your neighbors and friends who may be on vacation or may need assistance to search their property.
"There are a lot of resources out there to help. Please don't stop.
http://www.cnn.com/2010/CRIME/06/10/oregon.missing.boy/index.html

Parents: Please don't stop searching 1:13
Videos at link

Best friend: 'I Hope Kyron comes back' 1:50

Hi All,
I am just heart broken over this case,and it is baffling. I have one question and
if it has been asked,please forgive me. Why was no Amber Alert ever issued
in this case.I read where they say it did not meet the criteria but the criteria
is
1.child abducted
2.risk injury
3.sufficient info/(he was missing)
4.under 17 years old

What about this case did not meet the critieria.
So many things about this case I just don't understand.
moo

blackhawkjpg-356335d28cf06277.jpg

A National Guard Black Hawk slowly passes over the Multnomah Channel as the search for Kyron Horman continues today.

frontstepsjpg-41124c0c8ef59e51.jpg

A batch of flowers sits on the front steps of Skyline Elementary School

kyronsauviejpg-1d74ba7ec3f4b65f_large.jpg

Searchers from Wasco County gather in the Sauvie Island Parking lot this morning. They are checking the area in connection with the search for missing 7-year-old Kyron Horman.

kyronsearchjune72010jpg-a21b956f29e60a60_large.jpg

Cole Stevens (back left) and Mack Holland of the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue team search a private property near Skyline School on Sunday.

That picture with the Blackhawk helicopter will always stay with me in my mind when I remember Kyrons case.I pray it helps find Kyron.

Non-custodial parents do it all the time. Surely he knows that. Odd for him to respond that way.

I think he was asked if he'd seen someone other than a parent go into a school and take a child.

That makes a bit more sense.

Seriously!!! If this had happened at my child's school, I would NOT be quiet. I am sure that there are parents like me at that school.

Not only is a child missing from the school, but that means that there is some psycho nut out there.

I would be on the horn finding out what I could.

This is not a missing mitten!

Me too! Unless..... someone told me no worries, we got this figured out... gave me a hug and a wink and I believed them.

I have no kids, but if and when i do, i hope i have a child that looks as happy as Kyron. it breaks my heart that he is not with his family right now. prayers for you and your family Kyron. :(

From the sheriff's office:

Clear Channel Outdoor donates 30 billboards to help get the message out to bring Kyron home - 06/15/10

Today June 15, 2010, Clear Channel Outdoor - Oregon & SW Washington donated the materials and the space for the 30 billboards in an effort to help bring Kyron home. Ten of the billboards are written in Russian, ten are written in Spanish and ten are written in English. All of the billboards were put up today with the exception of two English billboards which are pending installation.

Attached is a listing of the addresses of the 30 billboard and a map indicating the locations.

A sample picture of the billboards will be available tomorrow.

http://www.flashalert.net/news.html?id=1276

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member