OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to explain since we're not allowed to mention the name of minors. Suffice it to say that the name of a child in the home could be confused with a reference to a cat, and at least one poster here (guess who :blushing:) thought that the stepmom had posted that the cat was on Kyron's bed reading a book. Apparently the reporter made the same mistake.
You're not the only one who said What???

The FBI has dispatched its Child Abduction Rapid Deployment Team, as well as its Behavioral Analysis Unit, which is often dispatched when a young child disappears. Its presence doesn't mean law enforcement has determined the child has been abducted, FBI spokeswoman Beth Anne Steele said in an e-mail.

Clint Van Zandt, a former FBI profiler, told NBC's TODAY that investigators would be attempting to establish a timeline and determine who may have seen Kyron after his stepmother.

"If this (science fair) had been advertised throughout the community, there could have been a lot of people coming in — parents, grandparents and even a potential predator.

"Two thousand children are reported missing every day. Even though this young man was just one more, it appears that he probably didn't walk away of his own volition at this point."

The boy's parents were not ready to speak, Lt. Mary Lindstrand said Sunday.

Multnomah County sheriff's deputies, the county's search and rescue team, the Oregon State Patrol and police officers from Portland, Gresham and Fairview were taking part in the search, which focused on the area surrounding the school and the two miles to Kyron's house.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/37547980/ns/us_news-life/

Would anyone be willing to do a map with points to the school, suspicious vehicle and the child's home? Or if I missed this, could someone point it out to me? Thank you very much.

I have done a map and will add the other location. Does anyone know what road it was that the truck was found on? Thanks

There has been a lot of discussion regarding the school's security practices. My kids attended school in a town with a population of 700. There were no fences, no alarms, no sign-ins and no calls to parents if the child was absent. Open house and parent-teacher conferences were held in the evening and the office was not open but the front doors were unlocked.

I contacted some friends in three different states to see what security policies are in place at the schools that their children or grandchildren attend. None had alarms on the doors or security cameras, one would call a parent if the child was absent and all had a note on the door saying visitors were to sign in at the office. However, when there were special events at school such as open house, art fairs or things of that nature, signing in wasn't reinforced due to the sheer number of people coming at once.

The point I'm trying to make is there are schools all over the country with no security measures at all, especially small schools. I think this news story should be sent to schools and media all over the country so changes in security can be made.

Not sure I got all of it Kimster - said my firewall was blocking parts of it.

FBI released a new picture of Kyron from his soccer team
Several short interviews with local parents - devastated, sad, and beside themselves for explanations.

Man out walking his dog looking for clues

Several parents have gone to see Kyron's parents - they are beside themselves with worry - absolutely devastated.

As in all the other missing children cases here on WS - parents are asking: How can a child just vanish leaving no clues.

Seems to me the FBI are not calling it a kidnapping and yet, they called in the FBI CARD team. Me thinks FBI thinks this is an abduction. moo

Bolded by me- me too.

1:29 p.m. -- Neighbors stop by Brooks Hill Historic church, across the street from the school, to mull over the investigation. "This kind of thing is unheard of," says Jim Kelley, 50.

Kelley, who lives about a mile and a half down hill, at the end of a winding, secluded country lane off Cornelius Pass, said police, federal agents, K-9 teams and helicopters scoured the area Saturday.

"We had two odd sightings of a vehicle on our road Friday," Kelley said. Around 3 p.m., he and a neighbor reported seeing a white pick-up truck with a female driver pull to the end of the long road, idle and then turn around. Then again at 2 a.m. Saturday morning, a similar white pickup truck appeared, idled and when a neighbor loosed her dogs, eased away.

"A, it was strange to have a car there, any car there, that we didn't know, and B, it was strange to have a vehicle come down our dead-end road twice in the same day, hours after a little boy goes missing," said Kelley. "That's beyond rare."

Kelley said authorities have twice searched the deep ravine, creek and railroad tracks located near the end of his street by air and on foot.

:(

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/day_three_search_continues_hun.html

The only real possible clue we have is the statement made by Jim Kelley re: the suspicious white truck. This man is said to live off of Cornelius Pass - so does Kyron and his family. I cannot find an address on white pages for Jim Kelley but will start looking in other places. Anyone know of a female close to this case who drives white pick up truck?

JK lives about a mile and a half down hill, at the end of a winding, secluded country lane off Cornelius Pass.
There is a deep ravine, creek and railroad tracks located near the end of his street.

Bolded by me- me too.

Hi JTSYS - Can't imagine what else they think it might be? Because the child is so very young and disappeared right from his school, I believe the FBI/CARD team are being very careful regarding what and how they say anything regarding this case.

Guess it's more what they are not saying that is important. moo

Originally Posted by belimom
Totally agree. It seems like the news station in the link is going to great lengths to contrast his own written work with his science project. I know that the degree of parental involvement in kids' science projects varies, but I can't figure out the reason for pointing out the contrast in the work, kwim? Also, the kid's project next to his is in stark contrast. But unless it provides some insight into his disappearance, why zoom in one his handwritten work - with the errors, etc?

Hope I'm making sense here....!

What news station/link are you all referring to?

Hmmm.... I tried to go back and add it, but I can't locate my post. Here's the link: http://www.kptv.com/slideshow/news/23806039/detail.html

I wasn't making a comparison myself but thought it odd that the news channel did. Just seemed that such detail in a missing child case is ... unusual? And wondering their reasons.

I still can't figure out anything that has been said by media that anyone in family would object to or ask not be believed. The reporting has been a little screwy from the start, but we are used to that. Certainly nothing has been alluded to about family at all.

I know we all are split on this but I am still not getting stranger abduction here. I still think FBI's main purpose and aid to LE will be to zero in on suspects they may already have and figure out interview questions to try to get to the truth. This is something profilers can do to help LE. But I guess we won't know until we know...and I really hope we know something today.

Wow, the truck was seen less than half a mile from his house and 3 miles from the school? I wonder if it could have been an amateur sleuthster checking out the area.
Do we know all the cars associated with the names that we know related to the case? (I guess we probably don't know that.)

Hmmm.... I tried to go back and add it, but I can't locate my post. Here's the link: http://www.kptv.com/slideshow/news/23806039/detail.html

I wasn't making a comparison myself but thought it odd that the news channel did. Just seemed that such detail in a missing child case is ... unusual? And wondering their reasons.

Seems they are invested in comparing Kyron's freehand printing and art work to that of his computerized science project.

Makes me angry - just what are they trying to insinuate by such comparisons? This child has been missing for over 72 hours without a trace, and they are worried about his free hand printing and art? :furious:

Seems they are invested in comparing Kyron's freehand printing and art work to that of his computerized science project.

Makes me angry - just what are they trying to insinuate by such comparisons? This child has been missing for over 72 hours without a trace, and they are worried about his free hand printing and art? :furious:

EXACTLY my point! I was looking at the pictures and thinking... what does this have to do with anything here?

Hi JTSYS - Can't imagine what else they think it might be? Because the child is so very young and disappeared right from his school, I believe the FBI/CARD team are being very careful regarding what and how they say anything regarding this case.

Guess it's more what they are not saying that is important. moo

I agree. I was very much hoping initially that he ran outside to quickly find some sort of nature item for his science display, but that seems less and less likely given the time that has gone by and the circumstances under which he disappeared. Even with an 8-9 hr window before search teams got out there....they should have located him by now.
If he was abducted- that window shrinks to the first couple of hours- and grows (in search area) by a couple of miles. And that seems to be the approach they are taking. :(

I still can't figure out anything that has been said by media that anyone in family would object to or ask not be believed. The reporting has been a little screwy from the start, but we are used to that. Certainly nothing has been alluded to about family at all.

I know we all are split on this but I am still not getting stranger abduction here. I still think FBI's main purpose and aid to LE will be to zero in on suspects they may already have and figure out interview questions to try to get to the truth. This is something profilers can do to help LE. But I guess we won't know until we know...and I really hope we know something today.

BBM...I think it may not necessarily be the reporting, but more the comments and (possibly) rumors in the community. Also, even on the Today show Ann Curry said that TH was the last person to see him, but that is not true if they believe the student who saw him just before 10.

Also, there was speculation even here (a victim friendly site) about whether she had staged the photo and never really went to school, was playing games on fb right after he was reported missing, and why her older son didn't live with her anymore. If I were truly an innocent, loving, devastated parent, all of those things would make me furious.

Sometimes when you can't control the big things in life, you focus on the little things. Also, anger is a very normal grief reaction, especially for someone who isn't being allowed to express it in their usual way ((i.e., talking with friends, telling the story, crying), whether b/c of LE or trying to hold it together for her DD and DH.

Ruby Red - how do you know that is where the truck was seen?

Kelley, who lives about a mile and a half down hill, at the end of a winding, secluded country lane off Cornelius Pass, said police, federal agents, K-9 teams and helicopters scoured the area Saturday.

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/day_three_search_continues_hun.html

As I do not have an exact address that is what I put down from the news article. If you give me an exact address I will change it. So I should have said the area the truck was seen.

Wow, the truck was seen less than half a mile from his house and 3 miles from the school? I wonder if it could have been an amateur sleuthster checking out the area.
Do we know all the cars associated with the names that we know related to the case? (I guess we probably don't know that.)
If the truck was seen at 3pm the day he went missing then it was before anyone knew he was missing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Backhand