OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Are red-eyed tree frogs a native species in that area?

I'm sure this is only wishful thinking, but perhaps someone mentioned to him that his project would be really cool if it had real live frogs with it and he decided to go catch some.

Nope, they aren't, and many schools ban live animals from 'appearing' at such shows as they just add to the chaos and can be dangerous due to allergies or frightening to some kids. Imagine if the person at the next desk brought a huge snake and the child beside them was terrified of snakes.

My son once did a project in a group of three boys that involved training a hamster to run a maze and then doing charts/graphs of the time improvements, etc. The star hamster was banned from the actual poster display but allowed to come in just for the time period where they actually presented the project just to the teachers who were grading.

I agree, great post. I can't think of any other reason for them to appear publicly than to keep his name in the media - and since there are regular press conferences and coverage of the story, that doesn't seem necessary at this point.

I've felt, and expressed the same since the onset of Kyron's disappearance but, with that said, it's also important that the immediate family not post openly about going to other, ordinarily routine functions, such as the gym. Not smart IMO.

The K9s brought in at first on this case were police K9s. They are immediate response dogs, not specifically scent trained dogs. Bloodhounds were then next called in, which are typically tracking and trailing dogs. However, because Kyron was not reported missing until late in the afternoon, the dogs were not brought out until after 9+ hours had passed. With extensive foot traffic in the school and surrounding areas, it can be very difficult for SAR K9s to identify and pick up a scent.

Thank you! Wasn't thinking about the high-traffic issue!

We haven't heard about most of those. SM saw him walking down the hall to his classroom. About 9 he passed a boy and said he was going to look at the electricity project. Thats all we have heard.

Do you have a link for the 9am sighting being the boy who said Kyron was going to the electricity project? I haven't seen the 9am tied to that yet.

TIA

The reports have said she was walking him in the hallway toward his classroom, and he said he was going to his classroom, they waved good-bye, and she left. One report said they were 150 feet from his classroom when they parted.

From the electricity project article, that child saw him in the hallway. The child didn't mention seeing the stepmom.

The stepmom:
8:45 a.m. Kyron Horman and his stepmother, Terri Moulton Horman, attend a science fair at Skyline Elementary School. He is seen walking down a hallway toward a classroom.
http://www.kptv.com/kyron-horman/index.html

"He told her, 'I'm going back to the classroom, Mom,' and she waves to him and left," Moulton said. "She thought he was safely at school just like he is every day."
http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2010/06/details_emerge_about_the_day_k.html

The electricity project kid:
"He walked by the hallway

ETA: the 150 feet:
He was last seen by his step-mother walking toward his classroom, 150 feet away.
http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Media/kyron-horman-school-crisis-mode-search-continues/story?id=10847733

What I want to know for sure is whether the electricity kid saw the stepmom at all, and also how close to the classroom Kyron was when the electricity kid saw him in the hallway.
One report said they were 150 feet from his classroom when they parted.

what is in between where they parted and his class room?Other class rooms?Is there a picture somewhere of the area he was last seen at?

Thank you and I was thinking the same but forgot to include it in my post.:blushing:
That would be a reason to speak out to the media and public.

Before I logged in here today, I looked at the news ref: Kyron and IIRC the articles said that investigators were saying this was a local search, not a national one. I got the impression that they did not suspect he was very far away from that town.

I could have read wrong or it could be reported wrong. [Imagine that, hee-hee.]

I'm a page behind in reading. Sorry if this was already mentioned.

it could be that SM meant to ask teacher about picking up project when she spoke to her in person friday morning in the gym re: kyron's appt and she forgot. thus, the email later that day.

We need to keep in mind that both the e mail AND the report of the appointment were RUMOR ONLY that were taken from an anonymous post below an early news article. As such, we really can't speculate too much on what was said, as it may be just someone's imagination. After all, how would some random poster know about a personal e mail to a teacher. And NO other parent has mentioned even being in the gym that morning at all, so the idea of yelling a comment about an appointment across a gym to the teacher holds little substance of truth either.

jmoo

Wrapped up by end of week is an odd term. I thought about it in bed and remember looking for Haliegh in the river the LE used that term also.
Maybe its a way to give everyone the feeling ofsecurity that they are close..

From what I could this morning searching for that, it appeared to me that the 'wrapped up' was only in reference to the local ground searches. The LEO said that they will continue on as long as it takes to reach a resolution.

I've felt, and expressed the same since the onset of Kyron's disappearance but, with that said, it's also important that the immediate family not post openly about going to other, ordinarily routine functions, such as the gym. Not smart IMO.

Which is one reason I wonder if that was intentional.

Still trying to get caught up; but, I had a question. If Kyron's best friend saw him and spoke w/ him to tell him where he was going, would the best friend not wonder why he had not returned and bring it to the teacher's attention? Not saying anything bad about kids; but, we all know how they like to tattle sometimes. I just can't imagine that none of the kids that saw Kyron didn't ask their teacher where he was. IF they did, I would like to know what the teacher's response was and what she may have been thinking.

I still believe that, if there was a question as to whether or not Kyron did leave w/ SM would it not be simple just to give SM a call to make sure?

Very good point! The only thing that would make sense about this is if the teacher was told by someone that Kyron would not be in school the rest of the day. Otherwise at least a half dozen flags would be going off.

Things are just not adding up!

I don't disagree, though I do wonder if they even realize how very public that stuff is. The SM has it restricted so that only friends can see her updates, so does she realize that anyone in the world can see her responses to friends? I don't know. This is one of the reasons I do *not* use Facebook! :snooty:

From what I could this morning searching for that, it appeared to me that the 'wrapped up' was only in reference to the local ground searches. The LEO said that they will continue on as long as it takes to reach a resolution.

That makes more sense thanks.

The volunteers don't have to have background checks, and that day, they didn't have to wear tags or sign in :(

WHAT? The volunteers don't have to have background checks? Was this in the policies posted earlier - I didn't have time to read thru it?

Very good point! The only thing that would make sense about this is if the teacher was told by someone that Kyron would not be in school the rest of the day. Otherwise at least a half dozen flags would be going off.

Things are just not adding up!

Unless the teacher was distracted and not paying close attention, in which case, she wouldn't have noticed those red flags.

WHAT? The volunteers don't have to have background checks? Was this in the policies posted earlier - I didn't have time to read thru it?

The school is extremely loose on security. I'm beyond shocked. Let me pull a link on the background checks.

ETA: I'm so sorry. It's 'some' volunteers have background checks.

A spokesman for Portland Public Schools also said every employee and some volunteers must pass a criminal background check that includes being fingerprinted before they're allowed to be with students.

http://www.kptv.com/news/23829461/detail.html

I kept scratching my head over that as well, and agree that this is probably what they really meant (though it certainly was not clear, so just a guess).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Txwoman