OR - Kyron Horman, 7 yo Second grader, Portland, 4 June 2010 - Part #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here in Oregon we only had fire drills in school. I always wished for something more exciting than marching in single file outside to wait out the sirens. xox

Ahemm, not to age myself (45 going on 12), I remember being really little and having cold war drills. LOL Yep, under the desk in case a nuclear bomb hits. Not sure why a desk would help. And that was in Oregon. sorry, off topic.
On topic: I think maybe they met with parents as well to answer questions (if they could) in a smaller arena. And I think the parents and students of that school deserve that. I know I'd demand it! And maybe to sway people from listening to rumors and to reinforce that their children are safe (for whatever reason.)

Our schools down here.....where do I start?

Our high schools are boiling over - we have one whose enrollment this year was like 3700 - and that's just ONE - we have like 15 high schools.

Middle school enrollment averages between 1500 - 1700 EACH! And I have no idea how many we have.

All together in my district there are 232 schools - elem, middle, high and centers.

The crimes that go in - involving teachers and students; students and students; are horrific.

All schools have cameras but only in the halls. We haev this big sophisticated security deal now - only one entrance to the school and you have to show a drivers license or ID which is scaned through a machine.

Yea, that works real good - had a father - convicted RSO - went to pick up his high school daughter from school. He figured they wouldn't let him past the front desk.

They scanned his license, gave him his little sticker and off he went. He said he could have "roamed the halls and the entire campus" at will - doing whatever he wanted. :eek: He went to the media about it - it was all uproar and upest and then it just kinda died off. I have a school pass where DH and I went together - my pass has MY name and my hubby's pic on it - and yes they do take a pic of you right there to get the pass.

Point is you can have all the bells and whistles you want - it still doesn't mean your kids are safe.

Odd about the parents meeting. I hope we hear more about it tomorrow.

o/t

Young sailor Abby that was missing at sea has been found alive and well.
Oh wonderful !!! Thanks for the Good NEWS Darlin gal ;}

Off to bed I am, I am. lol See y'all bright and early in the morning :blowkiss:

That is another issue for sure. As a teacher, I made sure that no volunteer was ever alone with a child-like working with a child out in the hall.

I never hugged a child unless they approached me first. I was always conscious of the "false accusation".

It's terrifying to be a teacher in this day and age, sorry to say.

25 years ago, I used to have a boy that would stay after school and help me. I would then give him a ride home in my car.

Talking with him, I learned that his father had been in prison for molesting the daughter ( of course, he said that she lied about it).

How things have changed! I wouldn't do anything like that for a million dollars today.

Oh my word! And how hard it is to be a volunteer for class trips. As parents I'm sure many of us can confirm that we 'herd' our children to keep them on course. Guiding them with our hands on their upper backs, shoulders or even hands. So heaven forbid a parent should subconsciously touch a child briefly during a trip to 'herd' them and having that child say the parent did something they didn't? Its insane. Or heaven forbid a parent has to jump and get a child out of harms way, but the child gets a fracture of a broken bone, they get sued. Its so infuriating to think about.

Oh, when I was in second grade, I would help one of the first grade teachers grade papers. When my mom asked where I was after school I told her but she didn't believe me. I told the teacher what had happened and she kindly wrote a note to my mom to confirm that I was indeed with her after school. Well, and think about this, the teacher wrote the note in printing form, instead of cursive. So because she did so my mom never believed it. I remember thinking back then how stupid my mom was, not realising that this was obviously habit to a teacher who taught first grade. HELLO!! Teachers are teaching kids to write all day long in first grade (at least they were back then) so OF COURSE, it is second nature to them. :banghead:

And in 6th grade my teacher pulled me aside and hugged me, had her arm around me and talked to me to reassure me my parents divorce was not my fault and that in spite of it, they both still loved me. Not in this day and age. :(

If the teachers saw this child eariler in the day and then he wasen't there why didn't they look into where he was? That makes no sense to me at all, 2nd graders usually don"t
leave the school premises once they arrive. High School kids may cut class and leave but not little ones as a rule. I think the teachers and the school staff dropped the ball....

I hated school. In kindergarten, when it was bathroom time, I never wanted to go back to the class and would hide behind the couch in the bathroom. I was always found. No one got away with anything at that school.

Ahemm, not to age myself (45 going on 12), I remember being really little and having cold war drills. LOL Yep, under the desk in case a nuclear bomb hits. Not sure why a desk would help. And that was in Oregon. sorry, off topic.
On topic: I think maybe they met with parents as well to answer questions (if they could) in a smaller arena. And I think the parents and students of that school deserve that. I know I'd demand it! And maybe to sway people from listening to rumors and to reinforce that their children are safe (for whatever reason.)

Ahh, that must have been in the early 50's when bomb shelters were the rage. LOL I remember that, and nobody had one of those to crawl into. But as little ones we were dear afraid we might need one someday with the fear of Communism headed our way! OMG, There I go again . . . . . .

Nice to tt you LotsaLatte xox

Just an FYI on the search, here is a link to one of the groups that is sending searchers in each day. Thought it could give some insight into how they work, and what the parameters are.

http://www.pnwsar.org/searches

I have to go to bed, but if I went to a meeting like that, I , too, would be fuming.

Big whoop. So they are searching a new area. They could have sent a new, automated message to each home stating that big news.

See you tomorrow human. Nice talking to you. :)

I hated school. In kindergarten, when it was bathroom time, I never wanted to go back to the class and would hide behind the couch in the bathroom. I was always found. No one got away with anything at that school.

LOL when I was in grade school we had a little boy that would run home every day at lunch time, he just lived accross the street. His grandma lived with him and his family and she would have to bring him back everyday with him kicking and crying. That went on our 1st grade year but after that he lined out. Thats what your story reminded me of.:crazy:

I'm falling asleep at the keyboard... way past my bedtime! Goodnight everyone. I'm going to go to sleep hoping that tomorrow is the day we hear that Kyron is found safe and sound!

Ahh, that must have been in the early 50's when bomb shelters were the rage. LOL I remember that, and nobody had one of those to crawl into. But as little ones we were dear afraid we might need one someday with the fear of Communism headed our way! OMG, There I go again . . . . . .

Nice to tt you LotsaLatte xox

LOL not born until 1965 so it was a bit later than that.

So, do we know for a fact that they discussed searching the more rugged or dense/brushy areas tomorrow? I know that area has some very hard to navigate areas (super thick briars/brush, tall grasses, etc.) I'm just curious because I was walking my puppy dog along a steep bank today (in the dang rain) and the hillside is covered with endless, huge briars. And I thought "wow, if I fell down there, I would never get out and nobody would find me for a while without me yelling." I am still holding onto the hope that Kyron is alive and just got lost and needs to be found.

well, i'm not british, just lived there a few years. i don't know much about that particular case, but i will tell you that the entire prison system over there seems even more goofy than ours! i know that ALL criminals-no matter what- serve a maximum of exactly half of the sentence they are handed. less for good behavior etc etc. also the cells themselves are more like very small apartments where they are allowed to have personal items and they have a small seperate bathroom in their "dorm" i guess you would call it. one prisoner to a room in most cases. also there was a prison about 10 miles from where we lived and each week i'd hear on the news about escaped prisoners-scary stuff for me. until i found out that many prisoners are allowed to go home on the weekends and they hadn't "escaped" exactly, they just went home for the weekend and didn't come back on monday. crazy.

Oh my word! WOW! I don't even know what to say! Though, I would like to add that for me, I have to keep in mind/consider that their culture is different from ours. Not saying they are better or worse than we are, just their convictions psychologically could be different. The best example I can figure (and its not a good one) is that nudity is not sexual there like it is here in the states. Nude magazine covers are second nature over there, while here it requires brown paper wrapping.

Parent volunteers are pretty much part of the past. Most people have 2 parents working . Or a single working parent.

The taxpayers can just pony up to hire a person to do that. ( call the parents-enter the data, or whatever it takes)

We say we value children in America. Sorry, but I don't see it.

Whoa! Where do you live?

Parent volunteers are NOT part of the past. They are very much a viable part of the school system where I live, and I daresay for many, many MANY other communities.

You don't see that we value our children in America? MiGod - by the very existence of this forum that is WS should be proof enough that we DO value our children and go above and beyond in the quest for the safety of ALL children.

When LE searches house to house, do they use a scent dog too? I know they couldn't cover as many homes but can't help wondering how valuable that tool would be. Expensive, yes but worth it. Maybe it isn't practical because time isn't on their side when a child goes missing.

(I wasn't sure if they just walk through the house, open doors, sheds or if they yell for Kyron too. If someone refuses, do they get a warrant or just move on?) Please keep praying, he's out there somewhere.

Yes, they do. (Or at least that's how we trained.) It's not really expensive since all the volunteer professional search teams go at their own expense & provide their own gear and other needed items. (Likely why they slept in the old jail.) Any additional funds they get comes through donations, usually locally.

The State & FBI teams are paid, and the LE teams are paid, but most who do this do so out of a desire to help & a passion for SAR. Most are either LE, first responders of some sort (EMT, Firemen etc), or retired from those jobs--or from the health care profession.

Most people don't refuse entrance, especially when a child is missing, but it's not hard to get search warrants when needed.

If the electric exhibit wasn't too far away and noone saw him in there,it will help them narrow down who all was seen in that area.And what is between the two classes,maintenance closets,bathrooms,etc.

Was there an actual, confirmed electric exhibit,
and on the south end of the school?
Does anyone know?
tia

Was there an actual, confirmed electric exhibit,
and on the south end of the school?
Does anyone know?
tia

The only thing is tidbits in articles media has been told.LE gives no comment to anything asked about the school that day.

Oh my word! WOW! I don't even know what to say! Though, I would like to add that for me, I have to keep in mind/consider that their culture is different from ours. Not saying they are better or worse than we are, just their convictions psychologically could be different. The best example I can figure (and its not a good one) is that nudity is not sexual there like it is here in the states. Nude magazine covers are second nature over there, while here it requires brown paper wrapping.

hahaha very true, there are a million examples to be sure some better and some worse. i like the education system better but the justice system worse. i guess anywhere you go it's like that. the UK definitely feels their system is just more "Humane" i myself am just unable to understand locking a sex offender up for a few months and then not even a registration/notification system like here. mind you here is imperfect as well, we could take a few notes from the japanese for our justice system! anyway, back on topic for me.

Our schools down here.....where do I start?

Our high schools are boiling over - we have one whose enrollment this year was like 3700 - and that's just ONE - we have like 15 high schools.

Middle school enrollment averages between 1500 - 1700 EACH! And I have no idea how many we have.

All together in my district there are 232 schools - elem, middle, high and centers.

The crimes that go in - involving teachers and students; students and students; are horrific.

All schools have cameras but only in the halls. We haev this big sophisticated security deal now - only one entrance to the school and you have to show a drivers license or ID which is scaned through a machine.

Yea, that works real good - had a father - convicted RSO - went to pick up his high school daughter from school. He figured they wouldn't let him past the front desk.

They scanned his license, gave him his little sticker and off he went. He said he could have "roamed the halls and the entire campus" at will - doing whatever he wanted. :eek: He went to the media about it - it was all uproar and upest and then it just kinda died off. I have a school pass where DH and I went together - my pass has MY name and my hubby's pic on it - and yes they do take a pic of you right there to get the pass.

Point is you can have all the bells and whistles you want - it still doesn't mean your kids are safe.

WOW! You raise a good point. Unless the staff is on the up and up, and follows procedure, like you said, all the 'bells and whistles' in the world won't do a thing to protect the children. Which is sad because we always hear it said they are our most valuable resource. And look how they are turning out!

And with all those students, I imagine it would take one or two on the staff just to notify parents of absences. goodness!

Lets hope the press conference delivers much more tomorrow, other than 'we are searching here and there'. Yeah, what news to 'shock' the locals with! :eyeroll: We have some good speculations on this thread as to the 'big news'. Maybe someone here nailed it.

See ya'll tomorrow. waaaaay past my bedtime.

God Bless you Kyron, wherever you are. May God's angels continue to watch over you. God Bless Kyron's family.
May they find the comfort and strength each day until Kyron comes back home to them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member