Found Deceased OR - Meighan Cordie, 27, Yamhill County, 18 Aug 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you for this perspective! I have some similar tales from my past. You have an amazing ability to see the good in people. It’s a rare gift.

This also rings more true than the current story. If that’s what happened, though, I can’t help but think that there should be an accounting of some kind. Meighan died. That changes the calculus. Meighan also has a daughter who will now grow up without her and with a story that the daughter will someday realize doesn’t add up. That also matters a lot.

But also - Hugs to you and to all of us who survived occasionally not-so-nice moments.

So I will give a not-so-nice story from my life.....

Now, some context first: my mother is a very nice lady 75% of the time. But all my life, she has had some uncontrollable anger issues, which yes, even sometimes spilled into the relationships of her children.

There was one night when I was 19-years-old, we were at a gas station in the middle of nowhere and it was like 3am. It was wintertime and freezing, I had only brought a hoodie. She insisted I take off the hoodie because I "looked like a bum or th*g" walking into a gas station with a hoodie on. I said, "What? You're crazy! It's freezing and I have nothing else to wear! And they are going to think I'm a criminal for wearing a hoodie that has pink sparkle letters on it?! It's winter anyways!" In my mind, this was over something so small, but she got extremely, irrationally angry that I would not take off the hoodie. She ended up physically dragging me out of the car, pushing me to the ground, jumping back into the car, and locking all the doors. I started crying and told her I wanted my phone, wallet, and ID so I could either call my dad or a taxi to pick me up. She said no, that I had to walk the OVER 30 MILES back home because I was a "spoiled brat who hasn't suffered enough in this life." She only gave me back my things when I reminded her I was an adult and I could go into the gas station and report her for theft (which of course made her angrier, but she eventually chucked my stuff out of the window and onto the ground....she ignored my existence for 2 solid weeks after that).

This is all to say......

Sometimes moms who are generally and for the most part very good moms, are also humans who may have issues of their own. Maybe her mom was like my mom, where she had a snap bad moment in judgement, got irrationally angry, and made a horrible decision. It doesn't necessarily mean she is a horrible mother. "A good mother would never do that," Yeah I want to agree with such comments, but life isn't that neat and tidy. People make mistakes sometime.

If I didn't get my cell phone back that night, I could easily have been like Meighan. And I wouldn't want the public judging my mom based on one of her worst "parenting" moments as opposed to the majority of my life where she has been great and supportive.

MOO.

I think the idea that the mother dropped her off near where her body was found is much more likely - I don't know why I didn't think of that. I just couldn't fathom her managing to walk 8 miles in bare feet. Even if she knew where she was going and wasn't disoriented that would take a couple of hours and I think someone said upthread that the route would have taken her through a town - is that right? It really seems improbable.

If the police had some way to prove that the drop off point was nearer to where her body was found - is there anything they could charge the Mum with? Short of being involved in her death - which I presume they don't have proof of. Unless the mother's car showed any signs of impact. Just asking questions and speculating really.... I'm not sure if I've strayed over some lines there. My apologies if so. JMOO...

I think the idea that the mother dropped her off near where her body was found is much more likely - I don't know why I didn't think of that. I just couldn't fathom her managing to walk 8 miles in bare feet. Even if she knew where she was going and wasn't disoriented that would take a couple of hours and I think someone said upthread that the route would have taken her through a town - is that right? It really seems improbable.

If the police had some way to prove that the drop off point was nearer to where her body was found - is there anything they could charge the Mum with? Short of being involved in her death - which I presume they don't have proof of. Unless the mother's car showed any signs of impact. Just asking questions and speculating really.... I'm not sure if I've strayed over some lines there. My apologies if so. JMOO...

Bbm. Yes, that's right. More than 8 miles barefoot in the dark and through a small town.

Things started making more sense for me when I stopped thinking of the relationship between the two people and looked at it as just two people. What would be the most likely answer?

As for charges, I think it depends. If she knew she dropped her off closer to the body and lied to LE about the spot, that could amount to a charge of lying to LE. In my mind there are two reasons she would want to lie about where she dropped her off: 1) it sounds more reasonable that she would assume her daughter would walk back to the wedding if she dropped her off less than a mile from the wedding venue (making her bad decision look better), or 2) she didn't want police to find her daughter's body (interfering with an LE investigation).

Meighan Cordie's mom: 'Daughter missing since last night'

[...]

Meighan's mother called the non-emergency line on Sunday, August 19. She told the dispatcher when they left the wedding the night before they had a disagreement and Meighan got out of her mother's car and walked away barefoot.

"I'm sorry. My daughter's been missing since last night. And I'm getting kind of worried, 'cause she's supposed to work in 10 minutes and I haven't heard anything from her. We were at a wedding, and she ... was upset and got out of the car, and I haven't heard from her since. And I haven't been able to find her. I drove around for 2 hours this morning looking for where she got out of the car, and so I don't know if I should call 9-1-1 or if I have to wait a certain amount of time."

Listen: Meighan Cordie's mother calls Yamhill County Dispatch

The dispatcher said she could report her daughter missing right away. She told the dispatcher she checked with hospitals and jails to see if something happened to her.

[...]

Meighan Cordie died of blunt force trauma, the medical examiner ruled. But how and why remain a mystery.

upload_2018-9-14_23-11-34.jpeg

Meighan Cordie's mom: 'Daughter missing since last night'

[...]

Meighan's mother called the non-emergency line on Sunday, August 19. She told the dispatcher when they left the wedding the night before they had a disagreement and Meighan got out of her mother's car and walked away barefoot.

"I'm sorry. My daughter's been missing since last night. And I'm getting kind of worried, 'cause she's supposed to work in 10 minutes and I haven't heard anything from her. We were at a wedding, and she ... was upset and got out of the car, and I haven't heard from her since. And I haven't been able to find her. I drove around for 2 hours this morning looking for where she got out of the car, and so I don't know if I should call 9-1-1 or if I have to wait a certain amount of time."

Listen: Meighan Cordie's mother calls Yamhill County Dispatch

The dispatcher said she could report her daughter missing right away. She told the dispatcher she checked with hospitals and jails to see if something happened to her.

[...]

Meighan Cordie died of blunt force trauma, the medical examiner ruled. But how and why remain a mystery.

View attachment 147170

Did you listen to the audio of the call? I'm trying to figure out how to say this without violating the victim-friendly rule... I would expect to hear panic and a sense of urgency when reporting a missing loved one. I'm not sure I heard that. Thoughts anyone?

Did you listen to the audio of the call? I'm trying to figure out how to say this without violating the victim-friendly rule... I would expect to hear panic and a sense of urgency when reporting a missing loved one. I'm not sure I heard that. Thoughts anyone?
”Do you want to report her missing?“
”Ehm, yeah I think so.“

No urgency. No distress. That‘s how I sound when I order a pizza. But maybe she‘s the cool, calm, and collected type?

I just don't understand it. She says it's a non-emergency. "I checked the hospitals and I checked the jails and she's not in either one of them." She left her daughter on a pitch black road in a rural farm area without her phone, wallet, or shoes.

"Everything was in my car." Did she not realize until the morning that MC didn't have her phone and wallet? Were they both impaired and mom didn't realize until she woke up that MC didn't take her phone and wallet? And overnight mom thought she called someone and got a ride somewhere?

Isn't the location of her body in the opposite direction from where they should have been headed? We know MC didn't walk 8 miles from where mom says she got out of the car. So someone either dropped her off there (mom) or someone kidnapped her and dumped her body in that location. But, if mom dropped off there, she didn't drive 8 miles in the wrong direction for no reason. Just saying. Too much champagne?

And, I am not buying that mom would drive away from her barefoot daughter and leave her without her wallet and cellphone, alone, late at night. That is not being mad because of an argument, that is putting her in grave danger - even moreso if MC was drunk.

So the real story isn't being told, IMHO.

Were they both drinking that night?

I just don't understand it. She says it's a non-emergency. "I checked the hospitals and I checked the jails and she's not in either one of them." She left her daughter on a pitch black road in a rural farm area without her phone, wallet, or shoes.

"Everything was in my car." Did she not realize until the morning that MC didn't have her phone and wallet? Were they both impaired and mom didn't realize until she woke up that MC didn't take her phone and wallet? And overnight mom thought she called someone and got a ride somewhere?

Or was the argument-followed-by-Meighan-leaving-the-car scenario such a common one that mom wasn't concerned until there was no sign of Meighan the next morning? I don't know what to think.

”Do you want to report her missing?“
”Ehm, yeah I think so.“

No urgency. No distress. That‘s how I sound when I order a pizza. But maybe she‘s the cool, calm, and collected type?

I do hear a degree of distress in her voice. But I agree she had no sense of urgency whatsoever. It doesn't make any sense. I have no idea what she was thinking.

Maybe Meighan had done something like this before? That would explain being upset while not panicking when she called.

I think something is wrong with the mother. I have no idea what it is, but something is wrong with her. She doesn't seem to act rationally.

Maybe Meighan had done something like this before? That would explain being upset while not panicking when she called.

I would understand if it happened in a town, at the wedding, at their house, in any well-lit or populated area. But it was a pitch black rural farm road. She wouldn't even be able to see her outside of the car's headlights. MC is an adult and if she wanted to storm off, that's her right. But to drive off when she got out of the car without her phone and wallet seems off to me. I think there are a range of reasonable responses but that isn't one. She could have sat there and waited, called a friend or family member to help, called the police that instant, called the police when she got back home (if she was drinking and didn't want to get caught for a DUI). If she was that mad she could have called the police to report her as drunk and disorderly and LE would have brought MC to jail for the night.

I do feel absolutely awful if the mother was very drunk and didn't think at all about the consequences until the next day. She might have placed that 911 call extremely hungover and guilt-ridden. This is really the only explanation I have outside of murder or an accidental death. If that was the case I hope she gets help, that's not how you want to hit your rock bottom and work on recovery.

I think this scenario may very well have happened before and turned out alright. The fact that she checked hospitals and the jail tells me she’s very worried, but not sure if it’s acceptable to be worried so soon. She almost sounds apologetic for bothering them and unsure if they will take her seriously.

I do hear a degree of distress in her voice. But I agree she had no sense of urgency whatsoever. It doesn't make any sense. I have no idea what she was thinking.

When she says “Hi” and tentatively starts her report, what I hear is a woman trying really hard to convince herself that nothing bad has happened. She’s trying to hold herself together and not panic. I think she is unsure of procedure and a little hesitant about bothering the police who she’s afraid will think she’s overreacting and won’t take her seriously. So she is trying to sound rational and not hysterical, but it comes across flat and unemotional. I can imagine myself sounding like this, sort of to keep the cop from having to peel me off the ceiling and say “Just the facts ma’am.” She did very well telling him what he needed to know...no phone, no shoes, no wallet, etc.

I could be wrong of course, but I just don’t see anything nefarious about the way she spoke.

Has it been reported whether Meighan’s father attended this wedding? Do we know whether Meighan’s parents are married or divorced / separated?

ETA: Not sleuthing her parents. Her father’s occupation was widely mentioned in MSM reports when Meighan was reported missing and is also on the first page of this thread. I would think Meighan’s mother would have consulted with him in real time about this incident unless she and he are not in communication for some reason. There’s been silence regarding him since Meighan was found.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmu
Back