OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the intent I meant was obvious. But if I must clarify, there are parts of the web where mass murderers are celebrated as heroes and people are encouraged to follow in their steps. A lot different than what's discussed here.

I think my intent was obvious. If people want to go looking for gore, murder, rape, disemboweling, child rape and murder, and other evidence of human depravity they can go to the internet. They don't have to be picky, in fact, and can find all of that right here. They don't have to search very hard. If you want to start holding the internet responsible for violence that happens in the real world you have to look at the -whole- internet.

JMO.

I think the intent I meant was obvious. But if I must clarify, there are parts of the web where mass murderers are celebrated as heroes and people are encouraged to follow in their steps. A lot different than what's discussed here.

This site has a section on serial killers too.

When I think "4Chan" I think adolescents, pedophilia, nasty viruses and a whole lot of trolling.

I don't think "mass murderers" and the people that encourage them! Crime sites are devoted to victims/killers....ahem...that is the main topic. 4Chan has countless/mindless topics/subjects.

We are so accepting of violence and these shootings that people hardly even notice. We are accepting this as the new normal and the American way of life. Apparently this is OK with America

I totally disagree with "accepting". Many many many people have rejected, objected, denounced, etc. this type of random violence and there have been many things done to try to stop it.

The formulation of having School Guards, School metal detectors, TSA-Transportation Security Administration, Homeland Security, etc. etc. are all steps that have been recently taken to try to prevent the next random murderous activity.

So I don't agree with the word "accepting" at all. Rather I think that due to the frequency of these events there is a certain level of numbness that happens where we are not as shocked as we once were when these events happen. But even though we are not as shocked when we hear about them it doesn't mean we are not just as disgusted and appalled and upset as the first one.

And when we look at the very quick response time of LE and how quick they got there and took down the murderer I think that is a direct result of the steps taken to help prevent these tragedies. I am pretty sure that LE had a protocol in place to react to any event at that school since they got there so quickly and took action. I am pretty sure that lives were saved due to steps taken to help prevent these situations.

Can more be done? Absolutely.
I do think more can always be done and we should never think we have done enough. So I fully expect more will be looked at and more steps will be taken to help try to prevent the next situation.

The blame of the frequency of these events lies solely with the criminals and terrorists who have decided this a new fad for them. We may not be as shocked anymore as we once was due to this frequency but it sure doesn't mean we are "accepting" them.

All JMO of course

It might make a difference. If fewer guns are available on the illegal market, then the price goes up. Even if the guns are ultimately available, the high price of illegal guns is a deterrent. I mean this guy had 4 guns on him ffs.

Most gun owners own a few. If you like firearms there are so many....and you can't stop after just one. Different types and different purposes, one is never enough. :)

Sort of like having just one pair of shoes. If you can afford more than one pair you will buy more.

We are so accepting of violence and these shootings that people hardly even notice. We are accepting this as the new normal and the American way of life. Apparently this is OK with America

Apparently this is the way we like it. Let's have the memorials and prayers, and make promises and donations, send a few representatives to meet with lawmakers in Washington. It's the same thing every time, isn't it? But nothing changes. We just get more armed guards in schools and wait by for the next shooting.

I wish I believed things would change, but Newtown was my last hope. :(

JM-cynical and sad-O

I think my intent was obvious. If people want to go looking for gore, murder, rape, disemboweling, child rape and murder, and other evidence of human depravity they can go to the internet. They don't have to be picky, in fact, and can find all of that right here. They don't have to search very hard. If you want to start holding the internet responsible for violence that happens in the real world you have to look at the -whole- internet.

JMO.

Yes, those things are discussed here, however over the top graphic images are not and neither is the encouragement of said behaviors allowed. Big differences. I do not see the comparison.

It might make a difference. If fewer guns are available on the illegal market, then the price goes up. Even if the guns are ultimately available, the high price of illegal guns is a deterrent. I mean this guy had 4 guns on him ffs.

You live on a large island/small continent.

The US is flooded with illegal drugs and immigrants. If the US citizenry wanted illegal firearms you can be sure there would be plenty coming over the border from Mexico/South America.

Sheeshers the world arms market would light up to meet our needs, and the weapons sold wouldn't abide by the current "no fully automatic" without a federal permit restrictions.

This site has a section on serial killers too.

When I think "4Chan" I think adolescents, pedophilia, nasty viruses and a whole lot of trolling.

I don't think "mass murderers" and the people that encourage them! Crime sites are devoted to victims/killers....ahem...that is the main topic. 4Chan has countless/mindless topics/subjects.

They talk about us too, and I'm surprised we haven't been infiltrated yet.

I credit our our hardworking mods! :)

Yes, those things are discussed here, however over the top graphic images are not and neither is the encouragement of said behaviors allowed. Big differences. I do not see the comparison.

Maybe you're not trying hard enough, or maybe you're not familiar with ALL of 4chan, or maybe you're unaware people frequent both sites. But yes, the sites are comparable. Of course they are. It's the internet.

JMO.

Maybe you're not trying hard enough, or maybe you're not familiar with ALL of 4chan, or maybe you're unaware people frequent both sites. But yes, the sites are comparable. Of course they are. It's the internet.

JMO.

I've already stated that there are parts of 4chan that are normal, and that even some of its users are not comfortable with the subjects on some of the subforums. Already gone over that. Very familiar with the site. But no, not comparable at all as I know WS would never allow the stuff that is posted in some of the worst subforums there.

Yes, they have moderators and users like WS has, however, the comparison stops at some of those subforums.

Infiltrated? We are a bunch of windows using moms/middle aged/elder women. Not a lot of glory in scaring/messing with us. :)

They just make fun of us sometimes.

It wouldn't be the first time. Been there, done that. ;) Not "infiltrated", exactly, but let's say "visited".

Just wondering if this person had any real friends or who he considered friends were only on the Internet.

Years ago people, more or less, stayed in one community (or nearby) most of their lives, meaning most people knew who was a problem, and communities took care of their own. Times have changed, people are very mobile, and we aren't about to go back to what life was years ago. Where do we go from here? There's no national database for "those who might have mental issues."

I think a huge shoutout needs to be sent to the quick response and actions of the first responders, the Roseburg Police Department, the Sheriff's department, and any agency that assisted in this tragedy.

They were certainly well trained and equipped for such an event that occurred in their community.

Thank you for all the practice it took to learn what to do in a situation like this. Undoubtedly your training and swift actions saved many lives. Thank You!

I do like that the press is not even including shooter guy in the number of deceased.

It wouldn't be the first time. Been there, done that. ;) Not "infiltrated", exactly, but let's say "visited".

We talk about a lot of the same things, but we get more accurate information quickly! It wouldn't surprise me at all. :)

Buzzfeed has the name of one of the victims.

the victim's sister contacted Buzzfeed News.

Just wondering if this person had any real friends or who he considered friends were only on the Internet.

Years ago people, more or less, stayed in one community (or nearby) most of their lives, meaning most people knew who was a problem, and communities took care of their own. Times have changed, people are very mobile, and we aren't about to go back to what life was years ago. Where do we go from here? There's no national database for "those who might have mental issues."

In the past loners/losers just lurked around by themselves, with maybe a little interaction with close family. These days they are in a room, online with tons of best friends. they don't have to have personality or learn to interact with others. Basicly they just have to surf and read, then come to their own conclusions. I know it would hard for a family member to think their son or whatever might be mental or a possible threat to others, but many times, no one but the family knows if they have not received counseling or been in trouble. And often, after the crime, they come out an say what the issues were, to try to explain it. I will never understand Mrs Lanza allowing her son access to weapons, and she's no longer around to explain it.
I also might be cold-hearted, but I'm glad the shooter didn't leave the scene alive. I wish it was an unwritten rule that none would. I hate that the Roof kid is still alive. I don't want to hear their names or see their photos either. If someone can explain why the person did what they did, then why didn't they do something about it when they still could?

All MOO only.

Lots of information coming out now. Honestly, most of it is what we'd expect. Wore the same "military get up" everyday. Was anxious and ill-at-ease around people, kept to himself. Reclusive. One neighbor said he was very close to his mother, and that the two "kept to themselves".

In the offline world, Mr. Mercer’s mother sought to protect him from all manner of neighborhood annoyances, former neighbors in Torrance said, from loud children and barking dogs to household pests. Once, neighbors said, she went door-to-door with a petition to get the landlord to exterminate cockroaches in her apartment, saying they bothered her son.

“She said, ‘My son is dealing with some mental issues, and the roaches are really irritating him,’ ” Julia Winstead, 55, said.

“She said they were going to go stay in a motel. Until that time, I didn’t know she had a son.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/us/chris-harper-mercer-umpqua-community-college-shooting.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SapphireGem