OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are probably hundreds of CM's out there - still living at home, unable to connect with others, hovering on the Internet. How does one identify such an adult as a threat to society, knowing there are responsible individuals that fit such a mold who are not a threat. Do you report them, putting yourself in a compromising position, or do you just stay a person is strange, as a lot of us do?

Yes, isn't that the problem. If we really cared, I think there would be discussions, assembling data and then coming up with some results.

One of the things that has been done is that there is a national organization that has standards for building schools based on protection from school shooters. This is used by school districts in the US.

Schools practice lockdowns ever since Columbine.

In colleges and universities they have the electronic device alerts for issues.

clear backpacks at many schools. Armed guards at schools.

We have not done much to deal with the issues that create these killers.

We value privacy and freedom above everything. I guess living like we are under seige with increasing methods to counteract these actions is freedom.

Curious what will happen to those on the site the shooter was on the day before, those who were replying and egging him on and giving him tips...what will happen to them?

Are you referring to 4Chan? Sheeshers. Anyone can post anything. It is a well know trolling/extreme site (and if anyone wants to visit be warned, it is also famous for spreading hidden CP images onto viewers computers).

4Chan is an extremely large open free forum, there is no way any reasonable person would hold other readers responsible. Even if they decided to call the authorities there is no way it could have been stopped.

You can't tell me that his mother did not know he had firearms (lived in a 1 bedroom apartment...) and WHY would she (or anyone for that matter who is close to/lives with a mentally ill person...) think this was even remotely a good idea?!?! Wow- just wow. Same with AL's mother - what are these people thinking? If family members/close friends would simply contact authorities (SEE SOMETHING - SAY SOMETHING!) when their mentally ill friend/family member is known to have a firearm, we might just be able to avert some of these tragedies. I'm sorry but I see this as being just as important as creating new gun control law(s). JMO ~

You can't tell me that his mother did not know he had firearms (lived in a 1 bedroom apartment...) and WHY would she (or anyone for that matter who is close to/lives with a mentally ill person...) think this was even remotely a good idea?!?! Wow- just wow. Same with AL's mother - what are these people thinking? If family members/close friends would simply contact authorities (SEE SOMETHING - SAY SOMETHING!) when their mentally ill friend/family member is known to have a firearm, we might just be able to avert some of these tragedies. I'm sorry but I see this as being just as important as creating new gun control law(s). JMO ~

It sounds like the two of them went shooting together.

I do too

(BBM)
There are probably hundreds of CM's out there - still living at home, unable to connect with others, hovering on the Internet. How does one identify such an adult as a threat to society, knowing there are responsible individuals that fit such a mold who are not a threat. Do you report them, putting yourself in a compromising position, or do you just stay a person is strange, as a lot of us do?

I say report - report - report! And, I'll add, when making a report - which you can do and ask that your name not be released for safety reasons - remind authorities of the serious future implications, should they choose to ignore advance warnings... As far as I'm concerned, if it could save one life, I will choose to report. JMO ~

Now that the shooter has been identified, I wonder why people are on here reading about it if they do not want to add to his notoriety? I agree that these narcisstic losers are looking for it, but then why is everyone on here reading about him?

I hope I explained my conflict in my earlier posts. Not wanting to make him famous, but wanting to know as much as possible. I would like them to turn into nameless faceless criminals in the end, someone no one wants to be. However who knows if that will help?

I also get disgusted looking at their faces. :(

FWIW: There are a lot of names I don't say in my personal life or wrt to famous people.

eta: I've forgotten the name of the shooter in New Orleans, but I remember the name of the Church shooter.

Clearly, we see time and time again, we cannot depend on those closest to the disturbed shooter(s) to do what's right. Yeah, I'm really peed-off right now.

And a lot of this unpleasant stuff -- like men posting photographs of the partners they've murdered -- has also happened on other social media as well, notably Facebook, but also reddit, and many others.

I don't know if reddit got rid of all of the objectionable sub-reddits, but holy cow, don't go digging around there. Or do if you think you can handle it. Search the #nsfl (not safe for life) tag.

nomoresorrow, many, if not most of these shooters are very resourceful and will find a deadly weapon to accomplish their missions..
"It's not the Plane, it's the Pilot".. quote by NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg.

The following is an example of the consequences of 'see something, say something' .. Only a short distance from Torrance, in Glendale, CA. These grandparents confronted their grandson and threatened to contact authorities concerning his deviant behavior-->

Glendale man charged in killing of grandparents with AX ...
www.latimes.com/.../la-me-ln-grandparents-killing-ax...
Los Angeles Times
Jul 7, 2015 - Nathaniel Wayne Scheiern faces two counts of capital murder in the deaths of his grandparents, who were found dead June 28 in their Glendale, CA home ...

Funny, I've been on here for a long time off and on and am not reading a thing about him. This site isn't just for those who want to research every aspect of the coward's identity. It is also for people who want to discuss possible solutions. You know mine. It's possible to scroll and not click on articles.

Finally, the media is what creates notoriety. Not websleuths.

Bingo.

You can't tell me that his mother did not know he had firearms

Of course she knew. Seems to me the parents become virtual slaves to these young killers, they try to appease them and they are so worried about "upsetting" them they stay silent to avoid conflict. It is a slow process and the parent may be deranged too, which is why they are susceptible to the manipulation.

The killer was 26, not 14, the mother had many years to adjust to the quirks.

If others knew....well just speaking for myself but if saw strange behavior in a young person that had access to firearms and they lived with a parent/caretaker I would warn the caretaker about a serious suicide risk. Suicide would be the first concern. If the person didn't have a caretaker/parent then the police would be notified.

I hope I explained my conflict in my earlier posts. Not wanting to make him famous, but wanting to know as much as possible. I would like them to turn into nameless faceless criminals in the end, someone no one wants to be. However who knows if that will help?

I also get disgusted looking at their faces. :(

FWIW: There are a lot of names I don't say in my personal life or wrt to famous people.

eta: I've forgotten the name of the shooter in New Orleans, but I remember the name of the Church shooter.

Yes, I don't say or think the names of many.

There is the conspiracy issue. Some think Sandy Hook was made up.

Would it work if it was named by the incident rather than the person? It is a real dilemma cuz this guy wanted fame. He felt that he was a nothing.

I was talking to my friend about her brother who died of natural causes at age 60 related to his huge alcoholism. She said he never felt good about himself.

He was married to a loving wife. Had two daughters, one who was a suoer star in high school and has a fabulous job.

He looks like he would fit into the Kennedy family and he had tons of friends and a great personality. My friend knew his pain which looking from the outside seems absurd.

We need some real conversations on issues of children and strategies what we are doing is not working,

Curious what will happen to those on the site the shooter was on the day before, those who were replying and egging him on and giving him tips...what will happen to them?

They keep doing what they're doing (the nicest way I could say it without using profanity and harsh judgment) until the next big thing. In the meantime they'll continue to stalk and harass women on twitter and elsewhere.

nomoresorrow, many, if not most of these shooters are very resourceful and will find a deadly weapon to accomplish their missions..
"It's not the Plane, it's the Pilot".. quote by NYC Mayor Mike Bloomberg.

The following is an example of the consequences of 'see something, say something' .. Only a short distance from Torrance, in Glendale, CA. These grandparents confronted their grandson and threatened to contact authorities concerning his deviant behavior-->

Glendale man charged in killing of grandparents with AX ...
www.latimes.com/.../la-me-ln-grandparents-killing-ax...
Los Angeles Times
Jul 7, 2015 - Nathaniel Wayne Scheiern faces two counts of capital murder in the deaths of his grandparents, who were found dead June 28 in their Glendale, CA home ...

I understand that - I really do. However, while we can't individually - or even collectively - control and stop every single potential tragedy - there are many instances that are just "in your face" obvious, whereby there will eventually and evitably be a very bad outcome. This case and Newtown are classic examples of that. So while one solution can't change everything/everyone, it can stop some. Other cases may require different solutions, but we have to start where we can. JMO ~

I seriously think the Internet has so much to do with this. Whether he posted on 4chan or not...people are so disconnected from others in this day and age, disturbing, violent content is so easily available, people are able to retreat into their mind and avoid interactions with real people and they begin to lose the ability to relate to others in real life. JMO. And I think it would be one heck of a coincidence if the post on 4chan just happens to be a coincidence. Even if it is, there needs to be personal responsibility for threats made on the Internet, and for the people supporting and encouraging those to take actions. Could you imagine the blame that a person would be receiving if that conversation happened in real life? "I'm going to shoot up a school, you should stay home" "cool man, you should do it like this with these guns"...yet it's brushed off as trolls. Sorry, that is NOT ok with me. Nor is someone failing to keep guns away from a mentally unstable person.

My hubby and I discuss how to prevent the wrong people from getting guns a lot as responsible gun owners. I think the most effective one we have ever come up with is having to have references to purchase a gun and private sales having to occur through a brokerage. ETA: this still wouldn't make a difference to illegal gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by gitana1 View Post
Funny, I've been on here for a long time off and on and am not reading a thing about him. This site isn't just for those who want to research every aspect of the coward's identity. It is also for people who want to discuss possible solutions. You know mine. It's possible to scroll and not click on articles.

Finally, the media is what creates notoriety. Not websleuths.

Much, if not most of the real time breaking information reported in the ms media today is driven by social media. Websleuths is considered a part of this social media.. When a high profile crime story breaks, hundreds of viewers; both members & guests, will come to Websleuths to get reliable info and updates from multiple sources in real time.. This info is then shared on other sm sites, and spread across the US and beyond..

I seriously think the Internet has so much to do with this. Whether he posted on 4chan or not...people are so disconnected from others in this day and age, disturbing, violent content is so easily available, people are able to retreat into their mind and avoid interactions with real people and they begin to lose the ability to relate to others in real life. JMO. And I think it would be one heck of a coincidence if the post on 4chan just happens to be a coincidence. Even if it is, there needs to be personal responsibility for threats made on the Internet, and for the people supporting and encouraging those to take actions. Could you imagine the blame that a person would be receiving if that conversation happened in real life? "I'm going to shoot up a school, you should stay home" "cool man, you should do it like this with these guns"...yet it's brushed off as trolls. Sorry, that is NOT ok with me. Nor is someone failing to keep guns away from a mentally unstable person.

My hubby and I discuss how to prevent the wrong people from getting guns a lot as responsible gun owners. I think the most effective one we have ever come up with is having to have references to purchase a gun and private sales having to occur through a brokerage. ETA: this still wouldn't make a difference to illegal gun owners.

But we're on the internet. And this site is filled with disturbing violent content too!

But we're on the internet. And this site is filled with disturbing violent content too!

I think the intent I meant was obvious. But if I must clarify, there are parts of the web where mass murderers are celebrated as heroes and people are encouraged to follow in their steps. A lot different than what's discussed here.

snipped

It might make a difference. If fewer guns are available on the illegal market, then the price goes up. Even if the guns are ultimately available, the high price of illegal guns is a deterrent. I mean this guy had 4 guns on him ffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove