OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I made my point the best way I can, and I am falling asleep so will stop on this subject. Of course all JMO, but I would love to hear why others think this is increasingly happening. Killers throughout history have gained notoriety, and guns have always been relatively easy to obtain. So what about our culture has changed to see this increase? I imagine it's a multitude of complexities.

Goodnight folks, hug your families and friends tightly and treat others kindly. I have faith the world can get its act together.

Not the kind of guns we have today and not the kind of quick access to the public and culture of voyeursim and attention seeking that social media have created today. Big difference.

It seems Americans have always idolized infamous killers. Strange, but Northfield Minnesota celebrates Jesse James Days - Jesse James, by the way, gets away in the re-enactment. Al Capone - everyone knows him. What's the fascination?

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2015...on-had-ties-to-torrance-relatives-in-tarzana/

There have been more than 200 mass shootings this year in the U.S. as defined as an incident where four or more persons including the gunman are shot at an event, according to Mass Shooting Tracker. The site says 380 people have been killed and more than 1,000 have been injured in mass shootings. The U.S. has gone no longer than eight days without a mass shooting in 2015, the site reported.

What difference does it make? The killer is DEAD. He's not going to enjoy any of his "notoriety." There will be no trial, no mental health evaluations, no fighting over death penalty or LWOP. He will just be another dead loser that lived with his mother and blamed his problems on the world.

Profiles are important, IMO.

Yes. And we already have the profiles. I've said this upthread but I don't mind repeating:

When you give these murderers the fame they seek posthumously, it provides incentive for the next nut. That's a clear concept. And it is a very well documented fact in these cases. These guys discuss and obsess over prior shootings and discuss how they want to be famous too.

It seems Americans have always idolized infamous killers. Strange, but Northfield Minnesota celebrates Jesse James Days - Jesse James, by the way, gets away in the re-enactment. Al Capone - everyone knows him. What's the fascination?

IDK, exactly, but my fascination is the reason I joined Websleuths. And judging by the number of posts in the serial killers subforum and the rampage killings forum, I would have to say I am not alone.

Frankly, we do NOT know that fame was this killer's sole motivation. He asked the religion of his victims. So maybe that was partly it. Maybe he didn't like the school colors. We DON'T KNOW.

Blaming people who are curious about his motive and background and saying THAT is responsible for fanning the flames of some future murderer is just not okay. (My comment is not directed at you, Trino)

I understand some people don't want to see, read or hear anything about this killer. But please don't lets make judgements about what other posters choose to discuss in a crime forum, as long as no TOS are violated. Thanks, guys.

Yes. And we already have the profiles. I've said this upthread but I don't mind repeating:

When you give these murderers the fame they seek posthumously, it provides incentive for the next nut. That's a clear concept. And it is a very well documented fact in these cases. These guys discuss and obsess over prior shootings and discuss how they want to be famous too.

Agree, I think they equate it to gaming .. each killer is trying to outdo his predecessors in overall high score and shock value, the media making them famous only encourages the next one, they already want to die, so in their sick minds why not go out with a bang and make a statement. I think the media is finally starting to realise this, personally I have zero interest in the individual shooters, but I think it is interesting to discuss strategy to stop this from happening as often in the future, I thinking blanking the killers ID is a good start.

G157Eaq.jpg

Chris Mintz, 30

LINK

Forget Oregon’s Gunman. Remember the Hero Who Charged Straight at Him.
by Michael Daily
10.02.1512:34 AM ET

The Chris to remember is 30-year-old Chris Mintz, the student and Army vet who was shot at least five times while charging straight at the gunman in an effort to save others.

Mintz did so on the sixth birthday of his son, Tyrik.

“It’s my son’s birthday, it’s my son’s birthday,” he was heard to say as he lay wounded.

God bless him.

Agree, I think they equate it to gaming .. each killer is trying to outdo his predecessors in overall high score and shock value

Very true, if it is random then body count matters. I just saw this and saw 10 dead in mass shooting, it got my attention.

Have they found a manifesto yet? His comments on Christianity (from a conservative?) suggest a manifesto.

In the offline world, Mr. Mercer’s mother sought to protect him from all manner of neighborhood annoyances, former neighbors in Torrance said, from loud children and barking dogs to household pests. Once, neighbors said, she went door-to-door with a petition to get the landlord to exterminate cockroaches in her apartment, saying they bothered her son.

“She said, ‘My son is dealing with some mental issues, and the roaches are really irritating him,’ ” Julia Winstead, 55, said. “She said they were going to go stay in a motel. Until that time, I didn’t know she had a son.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/us/chris-harper-mercer-umpqua-community-college-shooting.html?_r=0

JMO He had major issues.

In the offline world, Mr. Mercer’s mother sought to protect him from all manner of neighborhood annoyances, former neighbors in Torrance said, from loud children and barking dogs to household pests. Once, neighbors said, she went door-to-door with a petition to get the landlord to exterminate cockroaches in her apartment, saying they bothered her son.

“She said, ‘My son is dealing with some mental issues, and the roaches are really irritating him,’ ” Julia Winstead, 55, said. “She said they were going to go stay in a motel. Until that time, I didn’t know she had a son.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/us/chris-harper-mercer-umpqua-community-college-shooting.html?_r=0

JMO He had major issues.

Sounds in many ways like the Lanza situation

Agree, I think they equate it to gaming .. each killer is trying to outdo his predecessors in overall high score and shock value, the media making them famous only encourages the next one, they already want to die, so in their sick minds why not go out with a bang and make a statement. I think the media is finally starting to realise this, personally I have zero interest in the individual shooters, but I think it is interesting to discuss strategy to stop this from happening as often in the future, I thinking blanking the killers ID is a good start.

We are so accepting of violence and these shootings that people hardly even notice. We are accepting this as the new normal and the American way of life. Apparently this is OK with America

Funny, I've been on here for a long time off and on and am not reading a thing about him. This site isn't just for those who want to research every aspect of the coward's identity. It is also for people who want to discuss possible solutions. You know mine. It's possible to scroll and not click on articles.

Finally, the media is what creates notoriety. Not websleuths.

I am not talking about WS creaing notoriety. I am talking about people on here looking at this . It's over. So why look at it?

I am interested in why this guy did it and I see things emerging such as the gun practice with the mother and the online presence. Seems like Lanza to me. The intense aloneness.

So are we going to do something about these mass killers or are we going to accept this as the new way of American life?

I used to wonder how people lived in Beirut ( which is good now, I hear). I guess people just grow to accept a new normal. Just like the story of the frog in the pot of hot water

We are so accepting of violence and these shootings that people hardly even notice. We are accepting this as the new normal and the American way of life. Apparently this is OK with America

"Craziness" is okay with America. Pointing out aberrant behavior is just plain intolerant and judgmental, and can be classified as just plain ignorant. We need to be understanding and not judge (until it involves highly publicized death/s).

I am not talking about WS creaing notoriety. I am talking about people on here looking at this . It's over. So why look at it?

I am interested in why this guy did it and I see things emerging such as the gun practice with the mother and the online presence. Seems like Lanza to me. The intense aloneness.

So are we going to do something about these mass killers or are we going to accept this as the new way of American life?

I used to wonder how people lived in Beirut ( which is good now, I hear). I guess people just grow to accept a new normal. Just like the story of the frog in the pot of hot water

There are probably hundreds of CM's out there - still living at home, unable to connect with others, hovering on the Internet. How does one identify such an adult as a threat to society, knowing there are responsible individuals that fit such a mold who are not a threat. Do you report them, putting yourself in a compromising position, or do you just stay a person is strange, as a lot of us do?

"Craziness" is okay with America. Pointing out craziness/aberrant behavior is just plain intolerant and judgmental.

It is not OK to look at aberrant behavior? I am totally ok with being intolerant and judgmental of lots of aberrant behavior. I'm not big on sex abuse or abuse of any kind. Actually, I am super intolerant of it.

Curious what will happen to those on the site the shooter was on the day before, those who were replying and egging him on and giving him tips...what will happen to them?

There are probably hundreds of CM's out there - still living at home, unable to connect with others, hovering on the Internet. How does one identify such an adult as a threat to society, knowing there are responsible individuals that fit such a mold who are not a threat. Do you report them, putting yourself in a compromising position, or do you just stay a person is strange, as a lot of us do?

Please, mom or dad, if you have a child with mental health issues, don't buy them guns, don't allow them to have guns, please. I know the mental health services aren't the best, I could write pages about that. There was no way, no way, with mental issues in our family, a gun would be allowed in our house. We have all been through enough dealing and trying, I can't even imagine the thought of that being a good idea, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
internationalsleuth