OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it easy to avoid states where folks conceal carry when visiting the USA, or is it pretty much everywhere? Just curious.

Is it easy to avoid states where folks conceal carry when visiting the USA, or is it pretty much everywhere? Just curious.

Every state has it-we here in Illinios were the last to join the club a couple of years ago.

It's a mind blower, isn't it. Too bad everyone can't try living somewhere where guns are not available. Such a difference,

Obviously they should not be labeled as 'crazy homicidal basement dwellers.' And I hope no one has done that.

But Lanza, Rogers and now ,Mercer , are going to bring the topic of Aspergers and spree killers to the forefront. And not because they are homicidal or crazy, imo. But the motive in many of these killings is loneliness, despair, severe depression from feeling isolated and rejected socially. So I think it is vital that we learn how to help integrate Aspies into society in a fulfilling manner so they do not feel isolated and angry.

BBM - this! I don't think these things are exclusive to those who suffer from Aspergers, but seem to be common traits amongst mass killers. With that said, how can we help Aspies (or anyone!) integrate into mainstream society?

It's a mind blower, isn't it. Too bad everyone can't try living somewhere where guns are not available. Such a difference,

IIRC, some states don't even require a permit to carry a gun. Somehow that doesn't sound right. Maybe it is no permit to HAVE a gun, but still have to have a CCP?

I know a friend of mine is a huge gun afficianado and has a CCW in our state but said she could get arrested for carrying one state over? Very confusing.

It seems like parents need some skills and support. In the case of Sandy Hook and this then this one, it appears the mothers needed some assistance.

It seems like parents need some skills and support. In the case of Sandy Hook and this then this one, it appears the mothers needed some assistance.

In Sandy Hook, that mother had lots of help. And she still bought that kid guns, left him to his own devices, and ignored his escalating "weird" behavior.

IDK about this mom. Not enough info yet.

Interesting story about concealed carry in my state. On 2 recent visits to the auto title bureau (where people have to come for concealed carry permits) I waited near the CC desk. The first time, an elderly man, about 80 or so, came to get his permit. He had an aide, used a walker, could barely stand up and couldn't see to put his hands on the scanner for his fingerprint check. He also couldn't hear and his hands were very shaky, his arms waving around. He got his permit. Next visit, a lady sat next to me chatting. She was well to do, lots of diamond jewelry, designer clothes, friendly and her breath reeked of whisky. She was half in the bag. She got her permit.

BBM - this! I don't think these things are exclusive to those who suffer from Aspergers, but seem to be common traits amongst mass killers. With that said, how can we help Aspies (or anyone!) integrate into mainstream society?

It will take some funding. Too many of these families have been met with blocked doors trying to find help for their kids. I have seen it happen. Small towns don't have the resources to find the right therapist who specializes in these cases and residential care is even harder for these families to find. Insurance won't cover preventive mental health costs. The families, who love their troubled kids and want to protect them, take most of the burden, and may be the least educated on what to do.

Interesting story about concealed carry in my state. On 2 recent visits to the auto title bureau (where people have to come for concealed carry permits) I waited near the CC desk. The first time, an elderly man, about 80 or so, came to get his permit. He had an aide, used a walker, could barely stand up and couldn't see to put his hands on the scanner for his fingerprint check. He also couldn't hear and his hands were very shaky, his arms waving around. He got his permit. Next visit, a lady sat next to me chatting. She was well to do, lots of diamond jewelry, designer clothes, friendly and her breath reeked of whisky. She was half in the bag. She got her permit.

Do you live in Louisiana?

No. I live in Ohio. Apparently the standards for concealed carry permits are pretty lax here. My son and I were shocked speechless.

ETA: You wouldn't be able to get a driver's license here in the condition those folks displayed.

In Sandy Hook, that mother had lots of help. And she still bought that kid guns, left him to his own devices, and ignored his escalating "weird" behavior.

IDK about this mom. Not enough info yet.

She was not willing to accept that there was something really wrong with him.She got him guns and let him live in the basement .

No. I live in Ohio. Apparently the standards for concealed carry permits are pretty lax here. My son and I were shocked speechless.

Pretty scary, here, too. Some fast food places offer free chicken dinners when you show your CCW. :facepalm:

This shooter was so odd and full of contradictions. I find it fascinating that he identifies as 'mixed race' and yet he had lots of Nazi memorabilia in his hovel. And it has been reported that he was extremely close to his mother, who was recently heard crying uncontrollably. And yet he said he 'had a problem' with blacks. His mother was his closest and most supportive person and she is black. So he seemed to reject the one person who loved him and was always there for him. And rejected himself ultimately.
Thanks for saying this. I'm not trying to be tinfoil hat-ish, but there is something definitely wrong with his social media presence. I have a feeling some of it may have been altered. MOO

I so wonder about this as was there something posted about low income? Was he living in a one bedroom and sleeping on the couch? If so, aren't guns rather expensive?

Yes, but maybe he was used to this his whole life. I get the impression he was struggling though life.

Seeing and hearing of all these Victims really hits home. May they all RIP. My heart breaks for their loved one's and the Community. I pray the survivors and all touched by this horror one day find a new normal. I live in Ont. Canada and I am more than good with our strict gun laws. No point in really having a hand gun given the Law on storage and travel only is to a gun range. Hand gun stored in your trunk, locked box and ammo separate, locked. Submit your route to LE prior to going to the gun range. LE has the right to enter your home anytime to check your hand gun is stored properly. Again locked box, ammo separate in another locked box. Long guns a bit different. Still a strict background check, same laws apply for in home storage. LE does not have the right to enter and check storage and yes one can drive with a hunting rifle to do a hunt. No route to submit to LE for that. I'm good with all of this. It's just the way it is here.

We have got to stop making these shooters famous. MOO

Yes, indeed we do.

Guns, guns, and more damm guns.

Shades of Aurora, Colorado, and that *%@ whose name I will not say. He's in prison for several lifetimes + approx 3,000 yrs.

Yes, but maybe he was used to this his whole life. I get the impression he was struggling though life.

I am wondering where the money came from to purchase guns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member