OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Presser in about 17 minutes 1:30 PM EST

Thank you Foxfire- much appreciated!

Thanks to everyone here, for the compassionate, thought provoking commentary and debate. It always makes me proud to be a member of this forum. Prayers for the victims and their loved ones- I cannot even imagine their sorrow. Heartbreaking and heartbroken for them, sigh.

Europe? Why don't they have the issues we do? Filled with immigrants from countries that have been on the CIA do not go to list. They have violent films, videos, divorce, domestic violence.

Australia has lots and lots of issues . When I get posts from friends over there, I think I am reading about the US, except for the lack of gun violenece. And immigrant issues-- wow to Australia.

Comparing countries is somewhat like comparing apples to oranges.

For one, Austrailia population is much lower than US (July 2014 est.) :
US = 318,892,103 VS Austrailia = 22,507,617

http://www.indexmundi.com/factbook/compare/united-states.australia

All European countries combined obviously may have more population but when considering how Europe is broken down into different parts like France, Spain, etc. each behaves like a different society to some extent.

And considering the differences in the cultures, laws, freedom, breakdown, etc. of all those different places, it is not comparing apples to apples.

And its not to say that both Austrailia and Europe have been immune to recent shootings of multiple people. The recent Austrailia Sydney Café hostage situation and Im just reading about today's Parramatta shooting in Austrailia. Europe having the Norway mass murder of 80 and the terrible other mass shootings they have had.

But again, its like comparing apples to oranges because of all the differences. So I don't think you can compare or even claim that they don't have issues just because of their gun laws.

Get ready for some sad news in the presser. I bet we hear about the victims. :rose: It was just said on CNN that at least 3 young women were shot in the head and it will be gruesome, imo.

While waiting for the press conference, I want to say how much I appreciate this site in the wake of a tragedy like this. It's one of the first places I turn for information on what's happening.

I know I'll get information that's not always accurate, that things will slip past the eagle-eyed moderators, and that I'll encounter people with whom I disagree.

But the TOS and the general ethos here keep the misinformation to a minimum (and correct it), the moderators catch up and are not tyrannical about it, and hearing other points of view is part of what keeps me thinking and understanding what I believe.

So...thanks.

Get ready for some sad news in the presser. I bet we hear about the victims. :rose: It was just said on CNN that at least 3 young women were shot in the head and it will be gruesome, imo.

I worry for them all of course but these poor Victims who were shot in the head......Will they ever have any quality of life????

They mentioned "a box"...that he gave this box to one of the victims and told them to make sure they deliver it to whomever he felt should receive this box of info.
I hope they don't disclose the info in the media. This is clearly what he wants...this martyr attitude that they are dying for a cause...
I don't need to know the cause. I'm "general population" and I, like most people,won't be conducting any studies as to "why".
The people who NEED to know can know his purpose, but anyone who isn't involved doesn't need to know...they WANT to know.
Don't give this any validation. Better yet...tell the media he said the reason he did it is because he is a coward...at least it would be honest reporting.

13 weapons recovered. Between school/home. Good Gawd!!!!

From presser:

Weapons: 6 at school, 7 at home, all purchased legally (but not all purchased by the shooter).

Toll-free tip line: 1-800-CALLFBI, option 7.

Sheriff: "This is a hunting state and firearms are...in most households."

10 fatalities--that includes the shooter.

Asked about politicalization in light of his political beliefs, sheriff says: My focus is on getting this investigation completed and taking care of families/victims (paraphrase)

Can't name victims yet

While waiting for the press conference, I want to say how much I appreciate this site in the wake of a tragedy like this. It's one of the first places I turn for information on what's happening.

I know I'll get information that's not always accurate, that things will slip past the eagle-eyed moderators, and that I'll encounter people with whom I disagree.

But the TOS and the general ethos here keep the misinformation to a minimum (and correct it), the moderators catch up and are not tyrannical about it, and hearing other points of view is part of what keeps me thinking and understanding what I believe.

So...thanks.

:goodpost:

Thank you!

This is like Eric Lanza. His mother 'protected' him and allowed him to have lots of weapons. :mad:

14 weapons all purchased legally. Thank you NRA for making sure the 2nd amendment has been distorted so horribly that this number of weapons is acceptable.

As for the Sheriff and his stand- The man has had an incredibly difficult job to do the past 24 hours and I praise and salute all LE working this case.

Agree with his stand on naming the shooter or not it does bare discussion that his strong stand on that has prevented any hard questions or discussion about his past anti gun laws stance.

(guess 14 weapons were purchased and being tracked but one was traded back)

I suppose I could be considered biased as I'm from Oregon, but Sheriff Hanlin kicks a$$; what integrity and professionalism.

JMO

Yeah. What do I do about a family member, a young teenage boy who has been homeschooled, who keeps to himself, who presents as "non-neurotypical" (I don't know anything about any diagnoses--it's not talked about)...so much about him sounds like the stories of the Sandy Hook shooter and this one (I'm deliberately not naming them). How do I know I'm not being alarmist? How do I not alienate that part of the family if I say such a thing? How on earth would I ever say "Gee, are you keeping an eye on your son to make sure he's not going to go kill a bunch of people in 7 years?"?

What is to be done? No one wants to believe that their loved one, their neighbor, their relative could become something like this.

This is a really good question because just like yesterday's shooter I think most of the people chatting with him really did not believe he was going to actually do anything.

The best advice is like others have said is to make sure an individual like that does not have access to weapons and that responsibility mostly resides with his parents. The problem we have is when the parents themselves not only don't prevent access but provide them weapons which is beyond comprehension. The Adam Lanza example and yesterdays example is perfect example.

14 weapons all purchased legally. Thank you NRA for making sure the 2nd amendment has been distorted so horribly that this number of weapons is acceptable.
Technically, you can thank the US Supreme Court.

Of course "horribly distorted" does not begin to describe how gun owners are portrayed, but that's really neither here nor there.

Funny how some are so intent on making it "not about the shooter" but are perfectly content making it about inanimate objects and millions of friends and neighbors who are closeted gun owners.

Anyway - getting more back to the point of this site (I think) - any more social media information on him? He was big on torrents, but I can't sort out any theme or anything to his files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove