OR - Nine killed in Umpqua Community College shooting, Roseburg, 1 Oct 2015 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is the answer more often about meet the shooter and fight back with a gun, not prevent the shooter from getting a gun and arriving on the scene with it in the first place?

We've resigned to letting these cowards show up wherever they want, whenever they want, and carrying the weapons of their choice.

Sigh.

It's all about treating the symptoms while ignoring the cause of the disease.

Oh Dear God, and an army vet who so valiantly tried to save others on his son's birthday. I am stepping away for a while.

Thank you for this, I've been trying to post this but my computer decided to update..

Sounds like a guy with his head on his shoulders and I think he did the right thing in that situation because he was able to protect the people he was with if the shooter had made it to his building.

He brings up some very good points.

All you have to be doing is something good like getting an education to get killed. Makes my blood boil!!!

I don't know if the shooter had an ASD, but I feel like that's a cop out nowadays, an excuse for doing something horrific, and I don't buy it

Right? "You don't have to carry, but several of your coworkers will be, including Mr. Jones, the guy who broke up with his wife and puked on your new suit at Christmas. Ms. Smith, who spent six weeks in the psych ward might be packing too. Stay safe!"

Like that nutter in MS that killed a former colleague at a college?

Thank you for this, I've been trying to post this but my computer decided to update..

He brought up a very good point about being worried swat would mistake them for the shooter, which is something I hadn't even considered when thinking about students and CCL's on campuses....hmmmm....

I don't know if the shooter had an ASD, but I feel like that's a cop out nowadays, an excuse for doing something horrific, and I don't buy it
I dont' know if he had ASD, but according to the neighbors, he had mental problems, and roaches bothered him.

Once, neighbors said, she went door-to-door with a petition to get the landlord to exterminate cockroaches in her apartment, saying they bothered her son.

“She said, ‘My son is dealing with some mental issues, and the roaches are really irritating him,’ ” Julia Winstead, 55, said.

“She said they were going to go stay in a motel. Until that time, I didn’t know she had a son.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/03/us/chris-harper-mercer-umpqua-community-college-shooting.html

Philosophically speaking we dont know where the victims are now, are they weeping for their lives cut short hugging each other thinking where do we go from here or may be they are in better and safer place, in God's arms. May they rest in eternal peace.

But we know there will never be another Lucas or Rebecka or Jason to name a few taken away so suddenly, because of another man's hate.

Collateral damage is of course devastating. Their parents, siblings, grandparents, friends, significant others all will be missing them 4ever.

May sweet memories of their loved ones comfort them and help them through these difficult times. [emoji173]️

Sent via Tapatalk

That's quite possible. And let's not overlook the possibility of mentally unstable educators carrying.

Like Shannon Lamb? :thinking:

It works just fine in airports. When was the last time there was a mass shooting behind the TSA lines in an airport? It works just fine in entire countries outside the US.

The airports are NOT Gun Free Zones. Far from it.

Reporter Kimberly Eiten of KPTV FOX 12 (@KimberlyEiten) reporting that the shooter was not only a student at UCC, but that he was enrolled in the class where the shooting took place

Reporter Kimberly Eiten of KPTV FOX 12 (@KimberlyEiten) reporting that the shooter was not only a student at UCC, but that he was enrolled in the class where the shooting took place

That explains the "I've been waiting to do this" comment when he shot the teacher/professor.

That explains the "I've been waiting to do this" comment when he shot the teacher.
There's also evidence Harper-Mercer tried to engage with the world. He enrolled at Umpqua in the summer term taking a writing course and a theater class, confirmed Dr. Rita Calvin, Umpqua Community College interim president. He was listed as a production assistant the college's production of "Blithe Spirit," slated to debut later this month.
http://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-n...f/2015/10/new_details_emerge_on_umpqua_c.html

That explains the "I've been waiting to do this" comment when he shot the teacher/professor.

Except it was only the fourth day of class. I'm not sure there was necessarily any personal grudge towards the teacher in particular. I think the shooter's comments were speaking to a much wider scope of space and time beyond the class itself.

Except it was only the fourth day of class. I'm not sure there was necessarily any personal grudge towards the teacher in particular. I think the shooter's comments were speaking to a much wider scope of space and time beyond the class itself.
He had taken a summer writing course. Mr. Levine was in the English Department.

https://www.umpqua.edu/contact-english

ETA: It makes sense. English students can be extremely sensitive about their writing. He probably confused critique with criticism of a personal nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper